You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
12th_thirstytom

Ping Ping Ping Ping

9 comments in this topic

Members
48 posts
14,711 battles

playing tonight and my ping went from 35 to 2500 my ship would stop and go can't play like this! fix your servers! watch my facebook page cause I always post these things to all my friends! two weeks now been playing like this. Fix your servers! MY ping test is 155 up and 175 mps down so not me!

• Funny 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 4

[WOLF5]
Members
3,407 posts
3,587 battles

Ping is not WG, it's the ISPs between you and them, not even necessarily your ISP, but one halfway across the country. If there is a problem on their end, EVERYONE has problems, and the forums quickly get about 10 posts about the server problems. Since everyone else seems to be fine, it's on your end. Sometimes it's as simple as a thunderstorm in the area, I know an incoming front causes issues with my internet and TV signals. Other times it's just something completely out of your control. Just chill, do something else for an hour or so, and then try again. 

Members
1,455 posts
6,947 battles

Ping is not up/down that is your download and it has nothing to do with packet loss.  Speedtest will not tell you.

Run a real line quality test and see if you are losing packets and/or have jitter etc.  dslreports  

Like someone stated there would be tons of posts if this were a server problem. 

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

[EQRN]
Members
1,832 posts
15,236 battles

Fwiw, if you have a slow-ish connection and you're watching or listening to YouTube in the background, for instance, your ping times will get hammered.  WoWs seems to be on the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to bandwidth prioritization or allocation.

Members
5,108 posts
9,334 battles
7 hours ago, 12th_thirstytom said:

MY ping test is 155 up and 175 mps down so not me!

Learning basic networking would be a start as already noted - the above is NOT ping and internet speed connection means nothing.

[PVE]
Members
19,798 posts
11,994 battles
10 hours ago, 12th_thirstytom said:

playing tonight and my ping went from 35 to 2500 my ship would stop and go can't play like this! fix your servers! watch my facebook page cause I always post these things to all my friends! two weeks now been playing like this. Fix your servers! MY ping test is 155 up and 175 mps down so not me!

As others have mentioned, ping and mbps are not the same thing.

mbps is how much data you can transfer between your router and your ISP's router. There are many other hops in the chain from your computer to WG. Below is a simplified map of the path the game data takes to go from your PC to WG's servers. The reverse is true for the server data sent back.

PC -> your router -> ISP router -> unknown # of ISP routers to internet (it varies) -> unknown # of routers in the internet between your ISP and WG's ISP (called the cloud) -> WG's ISP routers -> WG's router -> WG's servers

Data is broken up into packets instead of one long stream. This way the data can travel faster if it needs to change routers for a slowdown. Your PC and WG's servers gather the incoming packets and put them back into order for the info transmitted. A ping is the time for a default ping packet to travel from your computer to the destination you set and the got it signal to travel back again. You can test your ping yourself with a Command Prompt and the ping command in the Windows System folder. Mac and Linux have similar programs, but I don't know what they are off the top of my head.

Here is the ping from me (Tampa) to the nearest google server (who knows where, but likely close). Be careful doing this as if you ping something hard, changing the ping number and packet size to many and large, that is a DoS (Denial of Service) attack and can get you into legal trouble. A simple ping or two with default settings is fine.

LzNsKIm.jpg

Note, the ping rate from different websites can  be different because the path through the internet is different and the end users have different size ISP speeds. If you ping Google, they have servers all over and have large internet connections, so the speed is fast. If you ping some smaller company, then the ping *may* be slower if they do not have as a robust connection or server. If you were to ping an individual, then the ping can be even slower. Just because you can ping Google, doesn't necessarily mean your packets will travel the same path when pinging WG or anyone else. Trans-ocean hops take longer for the pings to travel under the ocean in cables (or rarely up to a satellite and back). Luckily, the NA WG servers are all here in the US, so no trans-ocean trips except for those outside the NA & SA).

If you are having a slow down, doing a traceroute will show where the slowdown is by inflated times or the pings not returning in time.

EYbuQ4P.jpg

So if I was having trouble getting to Google.com (I'm not) the likely culprits would be those routers that timed out on the pings to them. They may just be busy and dumped my traceroute ping. So a ping jumping in time could just be as simple as too much traffic in the section of the cloud that your packets travel through meaning some get dropped and have to be resent increasing the travel time for them. There are many, many reasons for that to happen and can be isolated events in the cloud only affecting one region of the country. So everyone else is fine to connect, but you are not because of something happening in the path your packets travel.

Basically, if you can reach the internet from your PC through your ISP's router with decent ping times, the trouble is not your PC or your ISP. It is likely between your ISP and WG in the cloud.

If your ping stops somewhere in your ISPs routers (frontier.net in my case above in the first pic), then it is your ISP.

If WG or their ISP is having trouble, almost everyone playing will have trouble and we will know it from many people reporting issues. So if you are having long ping times and no one else on the forum is having long ping times, then it is likely in the cloud or your ISP being slow to the cloud.