Joe_918145

Naval Battles changing to ribbons

24 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
393 posts
17,054 battles

I've been forced to play randoms the last few weeks for naval battles since it's been all about XP milestones.  WG just announced we'll be changing to ribbons starting next week.  I wonder how a certain USA premium Tier 7 cruiser might do for ribbons in co-op?  :Smile_Default:

[PVE]
Members
968 posts
7,812 battles
46 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

I've been forced to play randoms the last few weeks for naval battles since it's been all about XP milestones.  WG just announced we'll be changing to ribbons starting next week.  I wonder how a certain USA premium Tier 7 cruiser might do for ribbons in co-op?  :Smile_Default:

Hotlantas, Helenas, and Lyons, oh my

[WOLF5]
Members
3,407 posts
3,575 battles

Wooster, Des Memes, Harugumo, Kita....:cap_haloween::cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_haloween:

Something tells me there's going to be a lot of HE flying next weekend....

• Funny 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
393 posts
17,054 battles
14 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Wooster, Des Memes, Harugumo, Kita....:cap_haloween::cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_haloween:

Something tells me there's going to be a lot of HE flying next weekend....

Wooster almost feels like cheating.  But I'll do it if need be.  :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,877 posts
13,616 battles
1 hour ago, Joe_918145 said:

Two weeks only but hopefully they stick with the ribbons or go back to damage.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
123 posts
2,340 battles

Mass, GK, Georgia with full meme build in co-op = easy points as well.

[PVE]
Members
11,014 posts
20,943 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

@AdmiralThunder This should turn your frown upside down.

Why?

I don't do much with it and when I do I did the 300/900 and let those who played PVP do the rest.

I don't think it was done in any way shape nor form to allow more participation by Co-op players but if that is the end result ok.

[ARGSY]
Members
17,538 posts
12,165 battles
57 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Why?

I don't do much with it and when I do I did the 300/900 and let those who played PVP do the rest.

I don't think it was done in any way shape nor form to allow more participation by Co-op players but if that is the end result ok.

Because ribbon targets level the playing field for PvE, and I thought that would make you happy.

[PTRGT]
Members
384 posts
40,656 battles

When they tried changing it to Damage a month ago it let more Co-op players take part but I guess less did it in PVP so they switched back to Stars. I'm guessing this it round 2 of the change to see if they can get the balance so Co-op can play but PVP won't all switch to Co-op to complete it

• Confused 1

[WOLF3]
Members
24,802 posts
21,848 battles
5 hours ago, Vladeshi said:

Mass, GK, Georgia with full meme build in co-op = easy points as well.

Yes.  Mega Secondaries BBs can farm tons and tons of ribbons.  It's easy and you don't have to worry about getting focused down by bots like you do as a Cruiser.

Of course, there's also Harugumo, Kitakaze, 'Zuki, and some other gunboat DDs that can creep up, pop smoke, and farm a lot of hits.

Anyways, there's no shortage of fast ribbon collecting ships, especially here in Co-op.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,791 posts
41,051 battles
16 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

I wonder how a certain USA premium Tier 7 cruiser might do for ribbons in co-op?  :Smile_Default:

I don't think the Indianapolis is a good ribbon farmer.

:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1
  • Confused 1

[PVE]
Members
11,014 posts
20,943 battles
1 hour ago, Patton5150 said:

I don't think the Indianapolis is a good ribbon farmer.

:Smile_trollface:

Probably means Atlanta or maybe Flint.

[WOLF3]
Members
24,802 posts
21,848 battles

Did my contribution.  Thanks big time to Boise, Helena, and most of all... Harugumo.

rBSxCXg.jpg

I'm doing my part.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[A-D-F]
Members
1,119 posts
9,148 battles
On 7/1/2019 at 4:55 AM, 4thTaterBattalion said:

No worry guys. We have Femennenly and Radar_X to help everyone through the change. It might have been their idea. lol.

Doesn't takea green-blooded, inhuman science officer to.

Sensors_Sarcasm.jpg

[EQRN]
Members
1,832 posts
15,236 battles

The number of ribbons looks pretty low, maybe to give BB drivers a chance.  Where before I'd have to play 10 different ships, I could probably 10-star this with just two.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
393 posts
17,054 battles

I think this is going to work for USA cruisers.  Gate was 25 ribbons, so I got a star.  :Smile_Default:

Wooster is warmed up in case I need her later.

187576202_Screenshot(37).thumb.png.10d51d60d3a574807d7b7c7a4cc3d25e.png

Members
80 posts
6,772 battles

WG office seems to be who can drink the most vodka at lunch - then write your best ideas down and go with it.

Next they'll be announcing subs haha!!!

[FE]
Members
58 posts
2,032 battles

Well,  The idea of ribbons might be good, but the implementation isn't on yet.  They've taken the Naval Battle from a game where how much you hurt the enemy mattered, to a farce where how many shots you can put in the enemy WITHOUT killing them is what matters.  I appreciate the attempt to balance Naval Battles so that all levels of players can contribute to their clan, but please make the ribbons received reflect the contribution to the battle, not just that you did something.

Example:  Took my trusty TEXAS out for a spin to win some ribbons. 25 ribbons will be easy, I thought.  So, I get into a RANDOM, and I get a cruiser setting itself up nicely as a target.  I CIT her on the second salvo and she blows up.  I think I hit her with 4 shells total.    A minute later, I get a second enemy cruiser that isn't thinking I'm a threat.  I get two CITs on her and she's gone in two salvos too.  I think I got 6 hits on her.  By this point, I had racked up over 40K damage, sank two ships, got a Devastating Hit Medal, and thought I was doing really well. 

Of course, the TEXAS being the speed demon she is, when the Typhoon blew in and the viewing distance went way down, I was chasing all over the map trying to turn those "hints" of a ship that occasionally showed on the map into a solid target, while the cruisers on my side raced around and killed most of the remaining targets because they could get there before I could.  I finished with about 55K damage, but only 20 ribbons, but my side won, and I ended up with 1100 base XP.  

So here I am, I've had a pretty good battle, had some pretty good success, and I only got 20 RIBBONS???!!!!!   Hopefully WOWS is only kidding, right?  Citadeling a target and blowing her up is only 1 ribbon, the same value as a ricochet that doesn't do any damage? 

Could I suggest a few changes to the ribbons values to make this more fair to the BBs that have big guns and hit hard, but don't hit as often?

Citadel hit --- 3 ribbons

Sinking the target -- 2 ribbons

Hitting with main guns over 250 mms -- 2 ribbons

Come on WOWS, make the ribbons at least a little more reflective of the amount of damage and impact on the battle that occurs with various actions.  It's ridiculous to have everything be the same value, and to have a hit with a 5-inch HE shell count the same as a hit with a 16-inch AP round.  Until we can do that, I'll start playing my Charleston, Phoenix, Omaha, Furutaka, and the rest and leave the BB's in port for naval battles.

Beta Testers
35 posts
3,696 battles

I resent this change. If it had still been getting base exp, then I would have secured bar #1 with over 700 in my last Mahan game.

But because of this change, I failed the first bar because I only got 20 ribbons (and died to 2 destroyers that no one on my team seemed to notice...)

• Boring 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
393 posts
17,054 battles
On 7/6/2019 at 6:47 PM, _SeaDoug_ said:

Well,  The idea of ribbons might be good, but the implementation isn't on yet.  They've taken the Naval Battle from a game where how much you hurt the enemy mattered, to a farce where how many shots you can put in the enemy WITHOUT killing them is what matters.  I appreciate the attempt to balance Naval Battles so that all levels of players can contribute to their clan, but please make the ribbons received reflect the contribution to the battle, not just that you did something.

Example:  Took my trusty TEXAS out for a spin to win some ribbons. 25 ribbons will be easy, I thought.  So, I get into a RANDOM, and I get a cruiser setting itself up nicely as a target.  I CIT her on the second salvo and she blows up.  I think I hit her with 4 shells total.    A minute later, I get a second enemy cruiser that isn't thinking I'm a threat.  I get two CITs on her and she's gone in two salvos too.  I think I got 6 hits on her.  By this point, I had racked up over 40K damage, sank two ships, got a Devastating Hit Medal, and thought I was doing really well. 

Of course, the TEXAS being the speed demon she is, when the Typhoon blew in and the viewing distance went way down, I was chasing all over the map trying to turn those "hints" of a ship that occasionally showed on the map into a solid target, while the cruisers on my side raced around and killed most of the remaining targets because they could get there before I could.  I finished with about 55K damage, but only 20 ribbons, but my side won, and I ended up with 1100 base XP.  

So here I am, I've had a pretty good battle, had some pretty good success, and I only got 20 RIBBONS???!!!!!   Hopefully WOWS is only kidding, right?  Citadeling a target and blowing her up is only 1 ribbon, the same value as a ricochet that doesn't do any damage? 

Could I suggest a few changes to the ribbons values to make this more fair to the BBs that have big guns and hit hard, but don't hit as often?

Citadel hit --- 3 ribbons

Sinking the target -- 2 ribbons

Hitting with main guns over 250 mms -- 2 ribbons

Come on WOWS, make the ribbons at least a little more reflective of the amount of damage and impact on the battle that occurs with various actions.  It's ridiculous to have everything be the same value, and to have a hit with a 5-inch HE shell count the same as a hit with a 16-inch AP round.  Until we can do that, I'll start playing my Charleston, Phoenix, Omaha, Furutaka, and the rest and leave the BB's in port for naval battles.

You make some good points SeaDoug.  I had to use a torp for self preservation in the battle I posted above.  It's a shame when the incentive keeps you from wanting to delete the enemy in the most efficient manner.

Weighting the ribbons in some manner would be smart.

Until they do, I plan to fire hose the he on whatever comes into range.:Smile_Default:

Edited by Joe_918145
typo fixing my typo