Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
anonym_S8aRBBvHcrV0

Some Thoughts On The Rogue Wave Event

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
338 posts

I've been messing around with the new event, and just wanted to share my thoughts. See if anyone else had something to add.

1: The ship lines really don't seem balanced. Specifically, the gunboat (Atomic Rage) line seems to be pretty much inferior in almost every way to the other lines. Not a big deal, but I find it curious. I like the Messer line, myself.

2: What's with the armory? Have you looked at it? If you miss the Benham goal (or know you will never be able to handle the grind), there's really nothing worthwhile in there to throw your tokens at. Why not some permacamos or something? 

3: Divisions can be overcome with effort, but they do seem to have a massive advantage in this mode.

4: This is the big one. This mode gets old very quickly. This is supposed to be a month long grind? Sorry. I have played for one day, and I'm already about ready to call it quits. What on earth. Those of you who are actually going for Benham, I genuinely and unironically wish you the best of luck and perseverance. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,568
[FML]
Members
3,604 posts
14,508 battles

My main complaint is that it seems impossible to win in the mode. I try again and again, but after a dozen losses in a row I think I’ve had enough.

Edit: playing solo

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,282
[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,529 posts
18,812 battles
4 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

My main complaint is that it seems impossible to win in the mode. I try again and again, but after a dozen losses in a row I think I’ve had enough.

Edit: playing solo

Sit back and let the other 3 teams fight it out.

Or.

Sick with your teammates.

Or

Go center and wait.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
120
[CR4ZY]
Members
337 posts
1,113 battles

Played solo and won 4 times. I don’t understand why everyone is complaining about Savage Battles. It’s so much fun that I don’t want to go back to Random.

  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,568
[FML]
Members
3,604 posts
14,508 battles
12 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Sit back and let the other 3 teams fight it out.

Or.

Sick with your teammates.

Or

Go center and wait.

 

Tried the first two. Found the third means I run into a div at close quarters...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
807
[KAPPA]
Members
2,644 posts
7,395 battles
23 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

My main complaint is that it seems impossible to win in the mode. I try again and again, but after a dozen losses in a row I think I’ve had enough.

Edit: playing solo

It's not a mode you play expecting to win, simple as that. Unlike Random, where it's 2 teams and one must win, there are 4 teams and one must win. Add in divs and you can expect less than a 25% chance to win on average for a solo player.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,762
[SALVO]
Members
24,191 posts
24,546 battles
4 hours ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

Played solo and won 4 times. I don’t understand why everyone is complaining about Savage Battles. It’s so much fun that I don’t want to go back to Random.

YOU think it's fun.  Not everyone agrees with you.

I honestly hate it, but I'm grinding it anyways because I really want the Benham.  I don't know if I have the patience to do it, but I'm going to try nonetheless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
475 posts
5,224 battles

Balance seems wonky: for an example, most people I talk to agree that the shima is better than the daring (indeed, single fire is bad while wall of skill is good). the entire line with the 4km torps is just painful because you can't chase anything, and the t1 balance is just messer >> all (in fact, it's better than the t3 of the line imo; it's more agile and can wide spread for point blank walls of skill). The other two are punishments for wanting to go fast at t3.  

My personal favorite is the Seasythe (t3 gunboat), you're so incredibly fast and the guns, while lacking for overall output, are great for finishing targets that eat one or two torps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,762
[SALVO]
Members
24,191 posts
24,546 battles
6 minutes ago, PG908 said:

Balance seems wonky: for an example, most people I talk to agree that the shima is better than the daring (indeed, single fire is bad while wall of skill is good). the entire line with the 4km torps is just painful because you can't chase anything, and the t1 balance is just messer >> all (in fact, it's better than the t3 of the line imo; it's more agile and can wide spread for point blank walls of skill). The other two are punishments for wanting to go fast at t3.  

My personal favorite is the Seasythe (t3 gunboat), you're so incredibly fast and the guns, while lacking for overall output, are great for finishing targets that eat one or two torps. 

Actually, some people like the Carnal line because the ship has speed and a lot of the late game action is at much shorter ranges where those shorter ranged torps don't become a negative.

The Atomic Rage gunboat line seems appealing, but the shells seem rather slow (or it's just that the targets are so much faster than normal) that you have to lead a LOT more.  And the ROF is so damned low.

The Messer line seems like it's best because in the end, torps can alpha strike the enemy while guns take too long to kill full health enemies, and seem best for finishing off wounded ducks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
510
[WOLFC]
Members
1,133 posts
7,755 battles
4 hours ago, Poharan said:

2: What's with the armory? Have you looked at it? If you miss the Benham goal (or know you will never be able to handle the grind), there's really nothing worthwhile in there to throw your tokens at. Why not some permacamos or something?

I’ve been wondering this myself. We have one extremely (you could argue rightly so) expensive reward that doesn’t really appeal to me, and the rest... are pretty meh. After all the grinding associated with the Victory event, I guess this month I’ll be taking it easy. I’ll complete the directives for Hill and I might play some ranked sprint when it finally arrives, but I’m not going to dedicate a large amount of time grinding a resource that I can exchange for... premium time, I guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
853 posts

As I see it the rewards are a DD.

I don't play DD.

I have not tried the Mode nor interested in it.

The mode is just another fantasy WG has enacted to leave you inattentive to the "REAL PROBLEMS" the Bad MM and the base game as it has been wrong since Beta.

  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
623
[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,500 posts
10,332 battles

You can't win as much unless you are in a division.  I have won a bunch solo, but only because I was lucky enough to get at least 1 good teammate.  Most games are horrible because one player runs off by themselves and the other doesn't do much.  Ther is no way I am getting the grind done in this mode.  I'm not even going to try.  Not worth the aggravation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
73
[WOLF4]
Alpha Tester
283 posts
8,047 battles

I enjoy the mode, but it feels like the amount of experience and credits you get are underwhelming, even if you win.  The grind necessary to get through the Battle for Resources missions is just painful, and I doubt I'll get far in them at all. The missions of the Rogue Wave event that pertain to the Savage Battle mode are much harder to get through (at least for me) than those that can be completed in Randoms. This leads to the frustration of wanting to play the Savage Battle mode, but needing to play Randoms instead to have any hope of completing the directives.  I feel like it should be a bit more balanced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
294
[-TKS-]
Members
817 posts
13,236 battles

I do better in this mode then I do in randoms, no joke without divisioning either . not sure what that says maybe cause op ship.  since I finished the grind I play to win now. 

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,225
[INTEL]
Members
12,125 posts
33,646 battles

The map is lovely but much too cramped. Each time I am on it I just feel that it represents effort that could have given us three new maps for Randoms.

I got too frustrated trying to win and stopped playing. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
9 posts
2,756 battles
10 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

It's not a mode you play expecting to win, simple as that. Unlike Random, where it's 2 teams and one must win, there are 4 teams and one must win. Add in divs and you can expect less than a 25% chance to win on average for a solo player.

One mustn't actually win, draws are possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,691
[SYN]
Members
15,614 posts
12,778 battles

Octopus botes are just fodder for the Tuna line.

Speed and firepower are OP in this mode, because slow botes with good concealment are easily rundown by having a massive speed advantage and RPF

Not only that, getting to the pickups are important and only the Tuna is good at getting there first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
196
[BSL]
Members
1,057 posts
18,894 battles
18 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Octopus botes are just fodder for the Tuna line.

 

There is a lot to be said for 18 second reloads....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
502 posts
6,641 battles
7 hours ago, PG908 said:

Seasythe (t3 gunboat)

catches people on that first buff sooooo many times.  wth you come from and by the time you react, the rest of his team is focusing you with so many torpedoes that you best just run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
502 posts
6,641 battles
6 hours ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

The mode is just another fantasy WG has enacted to leave you inattentive to the "REAL PROBLEMS" the Bad MM and the base game as it has been wrong since Beta.

And it is a way to actively avoid what many consider are the "Real Problem", also you can avoid all CV's and Radar but you have to deal with Hydro but it does only last 60 seconds so there is that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×