Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
goldeagle1123

Do you prefer 12km or 20km torpedoes on Yoshino?

9 comments in this topic

Members
5,398 posts
3,213 battles

Normally this is a question I would never ask, as the 12km torpedoes are far better in every aspect, and the 20km are garbage that almost never land do to their outrageous 2.5km detection.

However I almost never find myself even in range to use her 12km torpedoes owing to her play styles. With 20km I am think I might be able to at least score some lucky hits on unsuspecting BBs. I'll probably stick with my guns on the 12km though, as the 20km ones are unadulterated trash otherwise and the former might actually save me in some uncomfortable close range battles.

So I ask what do you prefer? What have you have more success with? Have you tried both?

[PISD]
Members
941 posts
4,691 battles

For me its the pink maker torpedo (20k).  Sure they are easily dodged, but in a meta of bow tanking US and Russian bb, you can still regularly get some hit.

[A-I-M]
[A-I-M]
Members
2,482 posts
20,035 battles

Its a coin toss, in effect. 

I find the 20's good for area denial and catching immobile BBs, but you occasionally dont get a clear opportunity to drop them for quite a while. Also, they are pretty useless if you are kiting someone, the detection is just too easy. 

The 12's are much better if you are kiting, but if Im  kiting early in Yoshino I feel I have erred. 

Taking TA skill on the 20's makes them faster and 16km, but doesnt alter the detection range, so I am running the 20's and getting a hit or two is a bonus to guns. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,111 posts
20,267 battles

I like the 20s.  You get too close and everything punishes you in this cruiser.  The 20s are still good for flooding a BB saturated area and getting "something'.  If she was just a little more stealthy it would be different, but she is what she is.

[KAPPA]
Members
1,324 posts
7,189 battles

I run the 12's, but I live in co-op and know how to take her and Azuma into a close range fight and usually survive. I'm actually planning on putting TA on top of them to make them into pseudo Type F3's. And before some one asks, yes, it is possible to angle correctly and even bounce Yamato shells off the internal belt, but it takes considerable skill and works best at 10 km or less. It's very comparable to the skills I learned by taking Yamato herself into brawling range and fighting enemy Yamatos (and it just so happens that despite all the claims of how the Germans, Masschusetts, and Georgia mean that nothing else is worth a secondary build, Yamato does remarkably well with one, provided you have the skills to protect your citadel and live in a meta conducive to brawling).

Members
5,398 posts
3,213 battles

I guess I'll try her with 20s, maybe post an update or something.

43 minutes ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

I run the 12's, but I live in co-op and know how to take her and Azuma into a close range fight and usually survive. I'm actually planning on putting TA on top of them to make them into pseudo Type F3's. And before some one asks, yes, it is possible to angle correctly and even bounce Yamato shells off the internal belt, but it takes considerable skill and works best at 10 km or less. It's very comparable to the skills I learned by taking Yamato herself into brawling range and fighting enemy Yamatos (and it just so happens that despite all the claims of how the Germans, Masschusetts, and Georgia mean that nothing else is worth a secondary build, Yamato does remarkably well with one, provided you have the skills to protect your citadel and live in a meta conducive to brawling).

Not trying to demean you for playing coop, but a Yoshino anywhere with 18km of a Yamato that has half a brain cell will make the Yoshino with it'd never been laid down. Sure you can theoretically angle and bounce her shell, but the reality is Yamatos savage even other Yamato at close range, and it's one of the most heavily armored BBs in the game. Yamato will overmatch or just normal pen you anywhere else other than the main belt for massive damage and/or citadels. Any tier 8+ BB will overmatch and annihilate you for that matter. She's only good for long range, and mid to close range scenario must be treated with the utmost caution.

[PHASE]
Members
6,112 posts
19,309 battles

are they the same torps as the Shima? if they are go with the 12k. the 20k torps can be avoided by the dead. 

Members
4,053 posts
4,347 battles

I use the 20km. I play far too back to make the 12s matter until end game. I don't use them much, I'd rather use my guns, but I have hit a few people with them. Usually around the 13-15km ranges.  

[KAPPA]
Members
1,324 posts
7,189 battles
10 minutes ago, goldeagle1123 said:

I guess I'll try her with 20s, maybe post an update or something.

Not trying to demean you for playing coop, but a Yoshino anywhere with 18km of a Yamato that has half a brain cell will make the Yoshino with it'd never been laid down. Sure you can theoretically angle and bounce her shell, but the reality is Yamatos savage even other Yamato at close range, and it's one of the most heavily armored BBs in the game. Yamato will overmatch or just normal pen you anywhere else other than the main belt for massive damage and/or citadels. Any tier 8+ BB will overmatch and annihilate you for that matter. She's only good for long range, and mid to close range scenario must be treated with the utmost caution.

I should point out that bots can shoot better than most players and have no trouble hitting citadels (in fact they're so good, most of us co-op players are certain they get enhanced accuracy, how else can a Richelieu nail you with all 8 shells at 15 km distance fairly regularly). The trick is to either let someone else be the target long enough to into that 10 km range, or be a sneaky ninja that works around to the flanks and drops AP into the sides. I know it's harder to accomplish in randoms, I used to be a randoms player till the fights got too static and the chat too caustic for my taste, thus why I choose the brawl fest of co-op and also scenario battles. And actually, Yoshino's 30mm upper side plating and deck will bounce shells up to at least 410mm, as long as you're careful to not let them punch right through your 25mm bow, it really does help her compared to Azuma. What makes me really laugh though is how people compare them to Kronshadt and claim Kronshadt is so much better when it has that same 25mm plating issue. As a matter of fact, when Kron came out, a lot of the same complaints that we are now seeing about Azuma were being said about Kronshadt, amazing how short some people's memories are. I do have Kronshadt, Alaska, Azuma, and Yoshino, and Kron is the one I pick as the worst. Azuma and Alaska are about on par, but the torps help elevate Yoshino to my top pick, something to be said for the emergency close in option.

Sign in to follow this