You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

Iowa B or C ?

18 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
3,029 posts

Slowly working on my T9 BB

Not clear why this is...

1 ) different?

2) Better or not?  

Thanks for any input

Col Out

[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,227 posts
6,204 battles

It is better to upgrade to c. There are unlisted stats that change. Most importantly is rudder shift, but there might be AA benifits as well (everything I found was pre-rework).

Edited by _1204_
  • Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
3,029 posts
6 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

It is better to upgrade to c. There are unlisted stats that change. Most importantly is rudder shift, but there might be AA benifits as well (everything I found was pre-rework).

Thankx...going to go get it !

[TURTS]
[TURTS]
Members
178 posts
18,038 battles

Agreed as prior. The C hull gives a slight rudder shift bonus: if at all, and it gives a more efficient AA setup where you trade 20mms for more bofors, and the few 20mm you keep switch to dual 20mms so you may trade short range AA for mid range AA which is a overall buff

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
14,736 posts
31,368 battles
21 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Not clear why this is...

1 ) different?

2) Better or not?  

Thanks for any input

Col Out

You absolutely want the C Hull. It is not even questionable/debatable. As soon as you can do it; do it. Greatly improved rudder and the best AA of the 3 hulls. You actually have more AA mounts (16) on the B Hull than the C Hull but you actually have more AA guns (19) on the C Hull. Bottom line is the  overall AA is better on the C Hull.

2 minutes ago, Thunder_GP said:

Agreed as prior. The C hull gives a slight rudder shift bonus: if at all, and it gives a more efficient AA setup where you trade 20mms for more bofors, and the few 20mm you keep switch to dual 20mms so you may trade short range AA for mid range AA which is a overall buff

The rudder improvement of the C Hull is a BIG improvement over the B Hull.

Note - stats below include SGM2 - I am not removing it to get base stats

• A Hull - 22.5 seconds
  • B Hull - 18.0 seconds
  • C Hull - 13.7 seconds

It is a pretty even progression. B Hull gives you a 4.5 second improvement over stock(A) and then the C Hull gives you a 4.3 second improvement over B.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
14,736 posts
31,368 battles
1 hour ago, SYST3M_OVERIDE said:

Hull B doesn't change rudder shift. Only Hull C

Wrong.

I listed the rudder shift w/ SGM2 for each hull above

• A Hull - 22.5 seconds
  • B Hull - 18.0 seconds
  • C Hull - 13.7 seconds 

[PENND]
Members
358 posts
8,224 battles

Then it was changed recently because I know when I unlocked mine I wanted to get to hull C ASAP because the rudder shift didn't improve until then

[PENND]
Members
358 posts
8,224 battles
On 6/30/2019 at 6:57 PM, AdmiralThunder said:

Wrong.

I listed the rudder shift w/ SGM2 for each hull above

• A Hull - 22.5 seconds
  • B Hull - 18.0 seconds
  • C Hull - 13.7 seconds 

I just checked this morning and Hull C is the only one with the improved rudder shift

[PVE]
Members
14,736 posts
31,368 battles
9 hours ago, SYST3M_OVERIDE said:

I just checked this morning and Hull C is the only one with the improved rudder shift

9 hours ago, henrychenhenry said:

@AdmiralThunder I think 22.5 s is without SGM2 for both A hull and B hull.

Then there is something wrong with the port. I have the ship w/ SGM2 mounted. When you select a module (HULL) it changes the values in the ship info. It does not appear the A Hull is taking into account SGM2 when selected. I apologize.

[D-H-O]
Members
39 posts
7,361 battles

I blew a ton of free xp to get the Iowa yesterday... One of the best choices I've made in-game in a long time!  This ship is an absolute blast to play to me. Thanks for asking this question. I was curious about the answer as well.

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,443 battles
On 6/30/2019 at 12:59 PM, Col_Nasty said:

Not clear why this is...

1 ) different?

2) Better or not?  

Thanks for any input

Col Out

Hey Col_Nasty,

As others have said upgrading to the C hull will give you a lot better rudder shift time. The AA suit also changes I believe, you get less 20mm (close range) and get more bofors (middle range) which will help you deal damage to planes at a further range. My suggestion when you are looking at ships with multiple hulls is make sure you check the wiki: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Iowa . There is a lot of valuable information there that will show you many of the things you are looking for. 

The Iowa is a great ship if you play it correctly! Make sure you pay attention to where you are on the map because the speed of the Iowa can get you in trouble. Make sure you are also not one of the Iowa players that sits bow on and backs up, this is not what the Iowa is good at. The Iowa is great a being a mobile gun platform, use the speed to flank enemies. You will not be able to bow tank Yamatos and ships with large caliber guns so you need to maneuver to give yourself some added "armor".

Good luck and enjoy the Iowa!

[PENND]
Members
358 posts
8,224 battles
4 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Then there is something wrong with the port. I have the ship w/ SGM2 mounted. When you select a module (HULL) it changes the values in the ship info. It does not appear the A Hull is taking into account SGM2 when selected. I apologize.

It's all good. We're only human LOL

[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts
13 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

No need to apologize! I have a guess as to the issue now. When you select A hull, you didn't mount it. So the upgrades weren't taken into account. Is this correct? When you selected B hull, you did mount it. Just a guess.

Good luck and fair seas! :Smile_honoring:

[PVE]
Members
14,736 posts
31,368 battles
10 hours ago, henrychenhenry said:

No need to apologize! I have a guess as to the issue now. When you select A hull, you didn't mount it. So the upgrades weren't taken into account. Is this correct? When you selected B hull, you did mount it. Just a guess.

Good luck and fair seas! :Smile_honoring:

Actually just selecting the options changes the stats for the ship even if not actually mounted and takes into account your upgrades. But for some reason RS doesn't change with Iowa A w/ SGM2 mounted?