Battlecruiser_Repulse

USS Clamagore doomed

8 comments in this topic

[D-PN]
[D-PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,483 battles

Yes indeed that does stink. One of my uncles was with the group that saved her before and brought her to Patriots Point. My family toured her and the other ships there long ago with him and his wife. He identified himself at the ticket booth as a member of the group connected with the sub and our whole group got in for free. Scooting through the bulkheads was quite an adventure.

I see no reason they couldn't come up with the funds to prevent her scuttling. 

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
40 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Yes indeed that does stink. One of my uncles was with the group that saved her before and brought her to Patriots Point. My family toured her and the other ships there long ago with him and his wife. He identified himself at the ticket booth as a member of the group connected with the sub and our whole group got in for free. Scooting through the bulkheads was quite an adventure.

I see no reason they couldn't come up with the funds to prevent her scuttling. 

City councils are particularly susceptible to brainless, short-term decisions. A lot of local politicians, even at a major urban level, are utterly unqualified for the big times (which is saying a lot, considering how low the standards are across-the-board now. Truly, our country is not being run by the best men or women anymore, and arguably hasn't been for a half century at least), and tend to have brief tenures during which they feel desperately motivated to pander to whatever interest groups supported their ascent.

I'm reminded very much of the saga of No. 503, which was mere hours away from being scrapped when a group of donors (myself included) saved it. The city then decided to swoop in and commandeer the locomotive (even though it was no longer clear that they actually owned it).  

• Cool 2

[KAPPA]
Members
1,324 posts
7,189 battles

I think it's darn near criminal to let the last of the GUPPY boats meet such a fate when it could be saved. I hope the group of sailors suing to save her meet with success. It'd be one thing if it was a standard Gato/Balao/Tench class, but the GUPPYs were the result of what we learned from the war and were the beginnings of the more modern subs that we built and only so many boats got converted in the first place and fewer still to the GUPPY III standard that she is in.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
1 hour ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

I think it's darn near criminal to let the last of the GUPPY boats meet such a fate when it could be saved. I hope the group of sailors suing to save her meet with success. It'd be one thing if it was a standard Gato/Balao/Tench class, but the GUPPYs were the result of what we learned from the war and were the beginnings of the more modern subs that we built and only so many boats got converted in the first place and fewer still to the GUPPY III standard that she is in.

I don't understand how a city council can override a governor. Something is very screwy in South Carolina.

[KAPPA]
Members
1,324 posts
7,189 battles
58 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

I don't understand how a city council can override a governor. Something is very screwy in South Carolina.

Well, things are strange everywhere these days. Tell you what though, I was telling my dad about this a few days ago and after the recent news involving the USS Batfish, we joked that Oklahoma would probably be willing to take it. We could only hope.

[WORX]
Members
9,023 posts
17,167 battles

History is not profitable... IF they chop her up and have her parts made into razors or more modern ships. I rather have that then rusting away by the bay.

Sign in to follow this