You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ThatsAPaladin

Remember: The correct response to a grindy event is not to give WG hundreds of dollars.

34 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
475 posts
5,224 battles

That is how you get more grindy events. The event goes beyond a normal grind, even, it's just flat out masochistic. 

This means you, people who already bought the benham. You're flat out telling WG that a miserable grind is good for their bottom line.

• Cool 24
  • Boring 3

Beta Testers
475 posts
5,224 battles
Just now, Wombatmetal said:

It's their money to spend how they choose. Cheers

I just want them to know that it encourages WG to screw the rest of us over. Is that so bad?

• Cool 9
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
12,662 posts
6 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

It's their money to spend how they choose. Cheers

This ^

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[NMKJT]
Members
4,078 posts
30 minutes ago, PG908 said:

I just want them to know that it encourages WG to screw the rest of us over. Is that so bad?

It's not like they're taking it away from me. I can either grind away, which I choose not to do, or I pay a lot of cash, which I choose not to do. I haven't lost anything at all. 

So I won't have it in my port, but it's really not my ship and I'm really not entitled to it. Besides, it's WG. It will be back.

• Cool 3
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

Members
3,259 posts
11,688 battles
5 minutes ago, Poharan said:

I'd say it's probably best not to give WG hundreds for a pixelbote in general, but you know what PT Barnum said.

He probably actually never said what you are thinking he said. 

But the phrase is true. 

• Boring 1

[R-F1]
[R-F1]
Members
165 posts
14,638 battles

I did purchase the Hill. And I used the doubloons I used from ranked to get 2 containers. I’m expecting the 3500 doubloons when I unlock the ship. And that’s the ABSOLUTE limit for me.

In reality, to buy the benham outright you need to buy 54 containers to get the ship outright. That’s a lot of money... $99.99 for 25 *twice* and another 19.99 or so for the remaining 4... That is a lot of money for it. I understand some people WILL spend that much.

But my consideration is that it’s much easier to play the base game  with some assistance. Whether it’s the purchase of the Hill, or buying a couple containers... You shouldn’t need a ton of help. The daily log-in rewards give 50... Ez just log in once a day before work.

Next be sure to play a few matches for the daily missions... At least the first 3 parts for your daily 3 fuel tokens... the higher base XP ticks are tough but time consuming in reality  and missing a few days WILL leave you some short, but don’t get tied up in them. 

*note: for completing 48 of them you get an extra 50 (or maybe 100, bad memory just an example) that’s like 24 days of doing both part 1 and 2 for the missions... if you miss a few don’t be sad... be reasonable... you end up being like 15 tokens short and you could spend the $5 to get a few containers for the rest. Tbh it’s not a lot but it’s the cost effective way. $5 is better for a tier 9 premium, than being 15 or so fuel tokens short and wasting it on ugly camo’s.

The main bread and butter is the credit missions in the savage mode. Credit flags are the savior. Spend the credits/coal for the Zulu flags to get the extra 20% or use the real special sh*t for more... these credit missions may take time, but they can give you as much as 300 tokens.. not to mention the directives give another 200 and you WILL complete them along the way. Like 80 torp hits are Ez in the torpedo beats soup of the savage lands.

And then there’s the hill...

you can do a mission in co-op for 1 win a day for 3 tokens. And you can either buy the ship for $25 for the port slot, and the flags, or the collectors value, or like I did for the doubloons when you earn the ship and double you hypothetical “money” and earn it in a few days when the directives release near the end. The hill is not a bad ship but you can get those extra 3 tokens a day for the last 12 days to make up the remaining fuel tokens you may miss in the daily missions.

Now look this may be a pain of grinding but the dedicated people can get it without paying an arm or leg... there is 850 total tokens available and most of them are not locked behind a huge paywall... also consider that this is a damn tier 9 premium...  Of coarse it’s going to be tough to get. Think of the $80 on Azuma, or the 750k free xp on Missouri and even the 1,000,000 free xp for Alaska... That’s a real whale and a half if bought outright.

You DONT have to pay for it, but IF they made this event for the Benham EXCLUSIVLY then why the hell are you able to get the hill so easily? What about the perma camo’s in the random container reward for a few wins? This isn’t a way to piss off grindy players, it’s a reward for those who enjoy the savage mode and want to play it. God forbid all the grinding most of us did for the ARP ships, OR the dragon ships, OR the Indianapolis. This event is hard for a reason. They want to reward players for the tier 9... not screw over the lower class. You want it for free it’s possible. It just takes time. B*tching won’t stop time. If this was a event for a bunch of free tier 3s you wouldn’t be complaining.

So what if some people buy it outright. Call them out for buying their way to tier 9. They don’t get anything IF they earn the benham TWICE. They came to the realization that they are not able to play the game to get it and it’s their choice to buy it. Don’t be rude to them specifically, they just wanted it so bad they paid out their pocket for it. Let them play the game, it’s a choice.

Now I’m rocking a 70%+ win rate in savage battles, so if you want to win and get some credits message me in game, I’ll be down to play a few. In the last 3 days I’ve gotten 240 or so fuel tokens, and I’ve only spent money for the hill... it’s $25 and I’ve enjoyed the ship so far. It’s fun. And it’s going to give me the doubloons back which will be a nice perk instead of some useless credits this time.

Edited by Thunder_GP
Damn you autocorrect!
  • Cool 1

[DDCO]
Members
133 posts
10,128 battles
2 hours ago, PG908 said:

That is how you get more grindy events. The event goes beyond a normal grind, even, it's just flat out masochistic. 

This means you, people who already bought the benham. You're flat out telling WG that a miserable grind is good for their bottom line.

Somebody has to pay for the game. This game isn't charity. WG has to find ways to make money or none of us has a game to play at all !I

Nobody is forcing you to play ...or pay...or anything.

I've found the pay parts of the game to be very reasonable.....you get 80% of the game for free...wth do you want ?

I spend $20 a month..on average.....for 100+ hrs of entertainment.........freakin great deal

Edited by Renuz
  • Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
9,032 posts
17,182 battles

WG makes money in more ways then one... Wallet strike will not work  when a multi-million dollar/euro corp. diversesifives their revenue stream from different areas.

[INTEL]
Members
1,638 posts
14,019 battles

Benham is the first high tier prem to interest me for a while but after seeing that grind and those container prices... not a chance in hell.

• Cool 2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,245 posts
10,521 battles
3 hours ago, PG908 said:

Really getting sick of people telling me how and what to spend my money on . Work 7 days a week and I already have a wife telling me what to spend my money on . I don’t need some one who wants everything  for free telling me how to spend my money .

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 5

[OIL-1]
Members
444 posts

1. To some people, money means nothing.

2. Some people work long hours, and make $5,000 a day.
When they get home they want to have fun too.
Can't blame them for not having the time to grind.

3. Thanks to your generosity, I get to play for free. Cool.

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

Members
4,060 posts
4,347 battles

I'm surprised they didn't do what they did with Katori. Sell it in a bundle then do the grindy event. But I guess once you taste that gatcha income money it's hard to do anything else anymore. 

[WOLF3]
Members
1,946 posts
7,074 battles

I, for one, actually like this financial model.  If you want to pay $ to ease a grind for something you really want, you can.  If you don't, it's all good.  :Smile_medal:

I don't have to pay a single penny to play a pretty darned good game as much or as little as I want to.  Any money I spend is entirely up to me. 

I don't mind paying money for virtual goods (never thought I'd hear myself say THAT).  The money comes out of my entertainment budget and I never spend what I don't have.

I get that obtaining some of the "freemium" ships can be pretty darned grindy, especially when you only have one month to complete the requirements.  If it's something I want, I will usually throw some cash at it to ease the grind.  I did it with Cossack and PEF and will do it again in the future.  If I'm not interested (like this time), I just play and cash in my loot of whatever the flavor of the month currency is on flags and stuff in the Arsenal.

I hope that the current financial model is effective and profitable for WG.  I would hate to see this game go the way of the dodo.  I like it, it's fun.  :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

Members
338 posts
8 hours ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

He probably actually never said what you are thinking he said. 

But the phrase is true. 

Its a funny situation. 

I know it's likely misattributed, but I also know it's so commonly misattributed that if I say he said it people will know what I'm talking about. 

[WOLFG]
Members
27,082 posts
7,217 battles
5 hours ago, clammboy said:

Really getting sick of people telling me how and what to spend my money on . Work 7 days a week and I already have a wife telling me what to spend my money on . I don’t need some one who wants everything  for free telling me how to spend my money .

With your wife is telling you how to spend your money, how do you even notice anyone else doing it? :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 2

[WOLF1]
Members
2,849 posts
8 hours ago, Renuz said:

Somebody has to pay for the game. This game isn't charity. WG has to find ways to make money or none of us has a game to play at all !I

Nobody is forcing you to play ...or pay...or anything.

I've found the pay parts of the game to be very reasonable.....you get 80% of the game for free...wth do you want ?

I spend $20 a month..on average.....for 100+ hrs of entertainment.........freakin great deal

that's the question right there, is it really entertainment, or grind fest for the carrot

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,245 posts
10,521 battles
58 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

With your wife is telling you how to spend your money, how do you even notice anyone else doing it? :Smile_teethhappy:

The sad part is its actually my ex wife and she's still trying to tell me what to do .

[BS]
Members
1,956 posts
10,164 battles

There are a host of psychological issues for why people are willing to spend this kind of money. The sad thing is WGing Warships division (lesta?) probably needs to do this to STAY IN THE BLACK. They have so many extraneous employee's it's not even funny. Yet the core game developement department is understaffed, go figure.

They have a zillion artists and modelers to pump out ships, but at the same time you have to pay those people's wages, it's a feedback cycle.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
12,740 posts
9 hours ago, Poharan said:

I'd say it's probably best not to give WG hundreds for a pixelbote in general, but you know what PT Barnum said.

Maybe we should call this ship the PT Benham or the USS Barnum, in honor of certain players.

• Funny 2

[O_O]
Members
505 posts
12 hours ago, PG908 said:

Your heart is in the right place, but you won't convince people to change their habits.  They need that carrot as soon as WG throws it out.

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,205 posts
9,824 battles
1 hour ago, HorrorRoach said:

There are a host of psychological issues for why people are willing to spend this kind of money. The sad thing is WGing Warships division (lesta?) probably needs to do this to STAY IN THE BLACK. They have so many extraneous employee's it's not even funny. Yet the core game developement department is understaffed, go figure.

They have a zillion artists and modelers to pump out ships, but at the same time you have to pay those people's wages, it's a feedback cycle.

Indeed. On the surface, this company appears so badly organized it's pathetic. No priorities as to where money NEEDS to be spent for the long term profitability of the company. As you said, the core departments needed to maintain their titles seem to be understaffed and underfunded, yet their PR and graphics department seem to enjoy an embarrassing amount of largesse.

It's raised my eyebrows from day one, that they seem to throw around very hefty sums of money, at public events, elaborate "game launch partys", and "CC Summits", designed primarily on self-promotion and grooming "influencers" - whilst then pleading poverty and "inflation" as reasons for the outrageous prices in their premium shop, and for software and game mechanics bugs and lack of some basic features still not being corrected since Beta.

The old phrase "Penny wise and pound foolish" comes to mind.

• Cool 2

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
137 posts
7,793 battles

It's about limits.

I have played WG titles for years.  WoT since beta, and had 25k+ games played when I quit.  Always played with premium and bought many prem tanks.

Now I've been playing this for years also.  Still, always play with premium and have bought prem ships here too.

I have a good job and a family and still have some money to spend, and don't mind throwing it at a game I enjoy.

But then come the limits.  Prices in this game have gradually increased over the past couple of years as WG pushed to see what they can get away with, and to me it's become pretty egregious.  It's gotten way past the limit of what I'm willing to spend.  I have 16k gold and am not comfortable spending it on anything because everything is so overpriced.  It's not that I CAN'T, it's that I WON'T.  It's past the point of where I see any value in the transaction.

So I agree with the OP, but also with the comment that you can't tell other people how to spend their money.  However, if they keep raising prices and people keep paying, we can expect them to keep raising prices.  At some point, that will get past the limit of even the biggest spenders.  But by that time, WoWs won't have anyone playing their game anymore.

Just imagine that charged $15-20/mo for a premium account that also got you access to all prem ships.  I'd have to imagine they'd rake it in.  I'd sure pay.  But never will I pay hundreds of dollars for a single ship, whether I have it or not.

• Cool 1

[EQRN]
Members
1,820 posts
15,193 battles

OP, what do you consider an acceptable amount of effort for a “free” T9 premium, which appears to be a good ship?