You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
IsThatreallyTheplan

USS Texas - leaking cuts tour hours

16 comments in this topic

Supertester
343 posts
17,563 battles

Public visits to the 107-year-old Battleship Texas near Houston will be limited during cataloging of thousands of artifacts on board amid plans for $35 million in ship repairs.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2019/06/29/leaking-battleship-texas-forced-to-cut-tour-hours/

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles
2 hours ago, Royeaux said:

I wonder if they'll consider encasing the Texas in concrete.

That would be a really bad thing to do for the ship, concrete tends to trap moisture, which can trap it right against the hull causing more rusting issues that would be near impossible to fix. Permanent dry dock is the only real solution, most likely though she will just get fixed up the best they can with what money they have and she will be put right back into the water.

The biggest issue currently is getting her there, her hull is incredibly thin in areas and while they repaired and reinforced the engine rooms, the boiler room structure is still really weak and she will not take the pitching and yawing in the ocean very well. Best solution is using a heavy lift ship, but those are expensive which further cuts money available for repairs

Edited by Psycodiver

Members
759 posts
1 hour ago, Psycodiver said:

That would be a really bad thing to do for the ship, concrete tends to trap moisture, which can trap it right against the hull causing more rusting issues that would be near impossible to fix. Permanent dry dock is the only real solution, most likely though she will just get fixed up the best they can with what money they have and she will be put right back into the water.

Interesting, I've not heard of the Mikasa suffering such problems..

[W_K_A]
Members
123 posts
969 battles

USS Olympia is facing the same problem, it's tragic that two icons of US Naval History are being left to rot because the governments and people don't want to fork out the money to do the repairs. Still Texas is a tough old girl, she's survived storms, hurricanes, war, and even the ravages of time

Edited by snakes3425
incomplete thought

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,200 posts
6,269 battles
16 hours ago, snakes3425 said:

USS Olympia is facing the same problem, it's tragic that two icons of US Naval History are being left to rot because the governments and people don't want to fork out the money to do the repairs. Still Texas is a tough old girl, she's survived storms, hurricanes, war, and even the ravages of time

To be fair, maintaining warships do take a lot of money and time.  If they're not attracting tourists, then they're not paying back their dues.  Heck!  Sometimes war and circumstances can push the government to scrap museum ships for their own ends, which was the case with the USS Oregon during WW2.

I recall that they're moving the battleship Texas anyways after some repair, so she will hopefully go to an area that has a lot more tourist traffic.  Parking her by the cruise-ship docks might be a grand idea since it will enable visitors to flock to her in-between refueling and resupply for trips. 

I mean...the Queen Mary, another old ship who amusingly enough has a ship kill (HMS Curacoa), has a decent amount of visitors since she is in the cruise-ship docking area of Long Beach, California.  I liked visiting the battleship Texas, but she was kind of out in the middle of nowhere in relative to the rest of the tourist-filled areas.

I hope for the best for the grand old battleship.  She is gorgeous and deserves to stand the test of time.

[W_K_A]
Members
123 posts
969 battles
8 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

To be fair, maintaining warships do take a lot of money and time.  If they're not attracting tourists, then they're not paying back their dues.  Heck!  Sometimes war and circumstances can push the government to scrap museum ships for their own ends, which was the case with the USS Oregon during WW2.

I recall that they're moving the battleship Texas anyways after some repair, so she will hopefully go to an area that has a lot more tourist traffic.  Parking her by the cruise-ship docks might be a grand idea since it will enable visitors to flock to her in-between refueling and resupply for trips. 

I mean...the Queen Mary, another old ship who amusingly enough has a ship kill (HMS Curacoa), has a decent amount of visitors since she is in the cruise-ship docking area of Long Beach, California.  I liked visiting the battleship Texas, but she was kind of out in the middle of nowhere in relative to the rest of the tourist-filled areas.

I hope for the best for the grand old battleship.  She is gorgeous and deserves to stand the test of time.

The San Jacinto Battlefield doesn't have the same mystique as say the Alamo or Gettysburg , and Olympia has the misfortune of being moored near the more impressive New Jersey. I think the logical choice would be having Texas sent to Corpus Christi and mooring her along side USS Lexington, and with Olympia actually mooring her along side New Jersey as one big exhibit  

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,200 posts
6,269 battles
8 hours ago, snakes3425 said:

The San Jacinto Battlefield doesn't have the same mystique as say the Alamo or Gettysburg , and Olympia has the misfortune of being moored near the more impressive New Jersey. I think the logical choice would be having Texas sent to Corpus Christi and mooring her along side USS Lexington, and with Olympia actually mooring her along side New Jersey as one big exhibit  

That does sound like a great idea.

The nice thing about mooring Texas by the Blue Ghost is that she'll be exposed to the cruise ship crowds, so she'll probably get a lot more foot-traffic.

I enjoyed visiting the San Jacinto Battlefield, but it is really out in the middle of nowhere relative to everywhere.  A closer proximity to tourists would definitely encourage more funding and care into the old battleship.

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles
4 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

That does sound like a great idea.

The nice thing about mooring Texas by the Blue Ghost is that she'll be exposed to the cruise ship crowds, so she'll probably get a lot more foot-traffic.

I enjoyed visiting the San Jacinto Battlefield, but it is really out in the middle of nowhere relative to everywhere.  A closer proximity to tourists would definitely encourage more funding and care into the old battleship.

12 hours ago, snakes3425 said:

Texas just passed a bill to spend over 30 mil repairing the ship and moving her to a new locating. Plans aren’t finalized yet but so far they have said the both Texas coast is more likely than corpus.

[NYAAR]
Members
2,998 posts
15,966 battles
On 6/29/2019 at 11:01 PM, Psycodiver said:

Best solution is using a heavy lift ship, but those are expensive which further cuts money available for repairs

You still have the issue of structure. She's already been flooded and had many areas replaced and re-enforced. Will the structure of the ship support being out of water now?

On 6/30/2019 at 12:11 AM, Royeaux said:

Interesting, I've not heard of the Mikasa suffering such problems..

Mikasa is hardly comparable any more. She is essentially a shell of what she was. Remember, she was basically rebuilt in the 50s after being a dance hall. How much of her is left below the concrete line is questionable. What is there might be in a position to treat/maintain. It also could be completely rotting out.

Note that the RMS Queen Mary is technically considered a building now. She is having issues as well as she was basically gutted and not much was replaced. I believe there was some issue of a hull collapse possible.

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles
4 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

You still have the issue of structure. She's already been flooded and had many areas replaced and re-enforced. Will the structure of the ship support being out of water now?

The engine room has been fixed and the engines are no longer in danger of falling out, aft section was repaired but last I heard the boiler rooms are rough but should hold up in dry dock but most likely won't survive the twisting and yawing of being in the ocean

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
836 posts
7,444 battles

Wonder when she’ll leave for repairs? WoWs is having one of the Anchors Away tour stops there is late October. 

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles
20 minutes ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

Wonder when she’ll leave for repairs? WoWs is having one of the Anchors Away tour stops there is late October. 

By November from what I gathered, their currently cataloging artifacts and displays for removal soon. USCG still has to sign off on whether she is safe to move along with the plan on how to move her because if she sinks in that channel it will cause severe disruptions for several refineries that use the channel.

[NYAAR]
Members
2,998 posts
15,966 battles
10 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

By November from what I gathered, their currently cataloging artifacts and displays for removal soon. USCG still has to sign off on whether she is safe to move along with the plan on how to move her because if she sinks in that channel it will cause severe disruptions for several refineries that use the channel.

The last time she was moved towards a drydock, she began to take on water and was actually in danger of being too low in the water to make it into the drydock.

Hopefully lessons have been learned and extra pumps are on hand.

If they could also make the ships own pumps functional that might be an additional help.

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles
5 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

The last time she was moved towards a drydock, she began to take on water and was actually in danger of being too low in the water to make it into the drydock.

Hopefully lessons have been learned and extra pumps are on hand.

If they could also make the ships own pumps functional that might be an additional help.

Her hull is super thin is some sections. In the Wargaming episode that they did of her they even said that dropping a screw driver could go through her hull. Pumps can only pump so much water so hopefully the water tight bulkheads are still intact and work

[NYAAR]
Members
2,998 posts
15,966 battles
2 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

Her hull is super thin is some sections. In the Wargaming episode that they did of her they even said that dropping a screw driver could go through her hull. Pumps can only pump so much water so hopefully the water tight bulkheads are still intact and work

remember, at one time several compartments were flooded and only at that 80s drydocking were they completely de-watered. While they may have been cleaned and repaired, its only as strong as the material they are welded or riveted to. While some interior walls may still be strong, what about the hull sections they are attached to? the frames? The ship has basically been out of service for 70+ years. What do the door seals look like? Are they even there? What about the wiring and pipes? This could possibly become something along the lines of the IJN Shinano.