Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Incomitatus

Turnarounds

21 comments in this topic

Members
263 posts
2,082 battles

First game of the day today, I took out my Kaiser (grinding for Konig), and got put on Solomon Islands. The match didn't start well, we were down three ships almost immediately, and the red team took B and C and were contesting A hard. I slightly overextended in the north and watched half my HP melt as six ships opened up on me...

It wasn't looking good, teammates screaming in chat about CAP NOW - as an aside, why do people do that? I mean, if the cap is open and clear and no one is going for it, well enough, yes, point it out, but when the cap is FILLED with enemy ships, what do people expect to happen: open up global chat and say, "Excuse me, Reds, but my dead teammate is very insistent that we cap now, would you mind vacating the spot for the moment?" /mini rant

Where was I? Oh, yes, not looking good...

And then we ended up winning, I topped the team with 97k damage, one dev strike and High Caliber. And with only 2 kills to my name (obviously, I put the hurt on quite a few other ships to get the High Caliber, but teammates secured the kills).

Honestly, I'm not sure how we got there, I was too busy fighting off two DDs (who were way too close for comfort), at least three CLs and two BBs to have more than a vague notion of the rest of the battle. I had help of course, but our flank was outnumbered 7-4, and when the smoke cleared only myself and a friendly Clemson were left. Somehow, the rest of the team pulled it together, too... and a minute later the last lone red BB went down in a blaze of glory.

It's not the most impressive turnaround I've seen or been part of, but it was my first battle today. Heck of the way to start the day's battles!

What about the rest of you, any epic turnarounds recently that you want to share?

[REEF]
Beta Testers
885 posts
10,087 battles

Yep, but in our case we did a bang up job of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and I have no idea how it happened.  Two Brothers map is my own personal Kryptonite............piss me off!  :Smile-angry:

Members
263 posts
2,082 battles
17 minutes ago, FlashTX1 said:

Yep, but in our case we did a bang up job of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and I have no idea how it happened.  Two Brothers map is my own personal Kryptonite............piss me off!  :Smile-angry:

I've seen defeat snatched from the jaws of victory so many times, I think victory needs some jaw exercises!

I don't have a lot of experience in Random with Two Brothers. I only have three Tier V ships so far (and one Tier VI) and that's the lowest ship tier that can see the map. Still, having seen the shenanigans that can happen on that map in replays and commentaries, I was expecting more... something. So far I've liked that map. I've done well on it. It reminds me of Solomon Islands, which is probably my personal best-performing map.

I seem to do best on maps where the avenues of enemy approach are limited by large landmasses. Less to think about. Escape routes, if needed, are easier to plan for. *shrug*

Put in perspective, 97k on Solomon Islands, and in the second battle of the day, one of those maps with lots of tiny islands... only a pathetic 27k. Sank two cruisers, and it was a victory, but totally underwhelming performance. And that's sort of how it goes for me.

Edited by Incomitatus
  • Cool 1

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

The greater issue is the psychology behind it all and analyzing how people frequently act irrationally leading to your teams loss.

Example:

A BB is bow tanking several other BB's salvo's. They're barely damaging him. A plane squadron comes and attempts to force the BB to show it's broadside by dropping torpedoes. Torpedoes are utterly TERRIFYING to BB's in general. So "Potato mode" kicks in, brain farts occur, and he attempts to evade the torpedoes only to show broadside and get critadelled by 3 other BB's simultaneously.

So what's the mistake the BB player made? He should remain bow-tanking. NOT evade the torps. Why? Because they only do 5000 damage, aircraft torpedoes are rather weak. Those 3 BB's firing at him can delete him in 30 seconds if he goes broadside. He must choose the lesser of two evils and eat the torps...  yet potatoes will always turn and die...

The team that wins is the team that thinks more rationally and fires at targets that matter, not the targets that are necessarily firing at them. Psychology can be a powerful force and turn the tides of a match. A Haragumo spamming you is scary, yet weak. The Yamato zeroing in on you is the real threat... but many players panic and die for it. They always primary destroyers and CV's even though those 2 classes are probably not the genuine threats.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub
  • Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
24,730 posts
21,817 battles

Comebacks are possible when:

- The "losing" team refuses to lose.

- The "winning" team loses all their common sense that got them there in the first place and starts doing dumb things to get off a few more attacks.  The greatest sin is feeding the remaining few enemy ships your own ships piecemeal.  That's how you go from 7 ships to the enemy's 4, and then to 3 ships to their 3, and the window for a comeback becomes much larger.  All because of IDIOCY.

- The "winning" team goes for "Kill no Cap" and gets rekt in the process.  Would have easily won if the caps were secured, play the time & score & cap situation, and guarantee the win.  This forces the other team to sit back and take the loss or charge in recklessly into a defending team that has the caps and time on their side.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
263 posts
2,082 battles
23 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Comebacks are possible when:

- The "losing" team refuses to lose.

- The "winning" team loses all their common sense that got them there in the first place and starts doing dumb things to get off a few more attacks.  The greatest sin is feeding the remaining few enemy ships your own ships piecemeal.  That's how you go from 7 ships to the enemy's 4, and then to 3 ships to their 3, and the window for a comeback becomes much larger.  All because of IDIOCY.

- The "winning" team goes for "Kill no Cap" and gets rekt in the process.  Would have easily won if the caps were secured, play the time & score & cap situation, and guarantee the win.  This forces the other team to sit back and take the loss or charge in recklessly into a defending team that has the caps and time on their side.

You forgot the one where the caps are secured, and all a team has to do is not take losses to win, but they decide to go for kill and all get sunk. Similar to your third point, but deserves it's own mention.

Ultimately, that's the mistake the red team did in my first game today. They had all three caps. They could/should have gone defensive, but they kept pushing, and the tide turned. We won only having flipped one cap, and down on points, but we sank all their ships.

EDIT: I guess, technically, that's your second point, now I read again.

Edited by Incomitatus

[A-I-M]
[A-I-M]
Members
2,486 posts
20,062 battles

When things are going badly, always remember that the enemy can always start playing worse than your team. They often do. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
24,730 posts
21,817 battles

This is a very old one from 2017, but I bookmarked my thread because it was a memorable match.

We were losing badly as the thread title shows.  There was a time in the game when one of the enemy players was counting down the points when they were up 800 pts to our 300.  I wasn't even good in that game, 1300 BaseXPs despite being on the winning team.  Best I could manage was not be in the enemy's kill column to help them towards 1000 pts, and with the red team being at 980 pts, yeah that alone was key for my own game :Smile_veryhappy:  There was a point where are DDs took over the game and literally carried us kicking and screaming to a win.  The reds were up 980 and we are at 391 and our Destroyers started the comeback.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
13,259 posts
23,160 battles

Many of my ‘best’ games were not played consciously; they usually consist of me blasting away, semi-aware that this ship or that is a threat; or that I should go help defend some cap; and then end with me going ‘huh?’ ‘wut?’ and having no real idea why I’m so high on the leaderboard, or how exactly we won...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

Members
263 posts
2,082 battles
5 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Many of my ‘best’ games were not played consciously; they usually consist of me blasting away, semi-aware that this ship or that is a threat; or that I should go help defend some cap; and then end with me going ‘huh?’ ‘wut?’ and having no real idea why I’m so high on the leaderboard, or how exactly we won...

Yeah, I remember my personal best game... or at least the most memorable. Low tier, I was in HMS Medea, so very low tier, and I got chased by three enemy DDs, two were Valkyries, so I was out-tiered, to the edge of the map. Blind firing torps out of smoke, I killed one of them. Looked at the minimap, everything looked like it was going well... I poked my nose out and... nothing. No one in detection range. Just started steaming back to the fight when so so many ships got sunk in about 20 seconds - as happens in low tiers sometimes - and I got that dreaded "You are our last hope" announcement.

I look at the ship lineup. It's me in my Medea against the remaining Valkyrie, a Campbeltown, and a Japanese destroyer (I don't remember if it was the Tier II or Tier III). A DD-off, outnumbered 3 to 1, on about 65% HP. And I'm in a Medea, it's not a bad ship, but it's... underwhelming, worst performance stats at Tier II. Great. And they have C, and B, and are capping A. I'm down by C, so I know at least one of them is up at A. If they were smart, they'd just run and hide, and run out the clock with the caps and accumulated points from kills. They weren't smart...

I steam into C. I run into the Valkyrie on very low health... one volley from the guns before he can react and he's down. I cap C.

Approaching B, the Campbeltown comes into view with full health, heading straight towards me. I pull hard to starboard, he doesn't shoot. That means torps, I cut speed and launch my own, then open up with the guns. He still doesn't shoot. His torps sail into view well in front of me, he tries to dodge, but I hit him with one of my fish, and two volleys from my guns end it.

I'm sweating bullets. I'm feeling good because I just sank two of my enemies, but I know all I did was even the odds. And one was almost dead and the other a total potato, so... I can't feel too proud.

I cap B and start heading for A... and the last DD comes around an island at full speed, launching torps. But I'm hugging my own island and I intentionally beach to avoid them, I launch torps and open up with the guns. He's on 35% health or so, and he cuts speed and turns. My torps will miss. He starts gunning and landing some hits, but I have more HP to trade and I pull out a win with the guns.

And then I went and had a lie down for a bit. Then got up, exited the game, poured a drink and watched a movie. Good note to end on!

• Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
13,259 posts
23,160 battles

@Incomitatus yeah, played some low level recently to even out the number of games I’d played at tier 2; Smith and Tachibanana.

They tended to be pretty hilarious or utter disasters.

• Cool 1

Members
263 posts
2,082 battles
15 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

@Incomitatus yeah, played some low level recently to even out the number of games I’d played at tier 2; Smith and Tachibanana.

They tended to be pretty hilarious or utter disasters.

Ah... Smith is my love/hate ship. It can be fun and hilarious when it works, but... if you look at my stats you'll see my win rate in that ship is abysmal and my overall performance stats in it are even worse. But don't actually look, they're embarrassing!

Sampson on the other hand, is my baby. I can make that ship sing. 60.71% win rate, 2877 PR, for Sampson. And that win rate is still suffering from when I was brand spanking new to the game (instead of just mostly new like I am now).

I've spent the last couple weeks in Tiers IV-VI for events and missions. My only low-low tier games have been playing through all my BBs the other day. I really ought to make some time to mess around in my Tier II DDs soon again.

Edited by Incomitatus

[RLGN]
Members
13,259 posts
23,160 battles
59 minutes ago, Incomitatus said:

Sampson on the other hand, is my baby. I can make that ship sing. 60.71% win rate, 2877 PR, for Sampson. And that win rate is still suffering from when I was brand spanking new to the game (instead of just mostly new like I am now.)

Wickes is one of my highest wr destroyers,  second only to Pumpkin (Fujin) in number of games played, and most of those from when I sucked so hard it hurts.

Guess Wickes and I just clicked.

Members
263 posts
2,082 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Wickes is one of my highest wr destroyers,  second only to Pumpkin (Fujin) in number of games played, and most of those from when I sucked so hard it hurts.

Guess Wickes and I just clicked.

I like Wickes. It's a faster Sampson. :-) It clicked for me, too, but I haven't played enough games in it to draw any stat conclusions.

[DAS]
Members
906 posts
7,084 battles

I once played a high tier game and it was going fairly well because we were up on points and with only seconds left our lone BB with 35K hp or so could easily survive to claim the win. He was up against two red BBs and for some reason he decided that he wanted some extra damage done before the timer ran out, so he moved in a way that let a Montana, I think, send a salvo into his broadside. I watched the shells fly and citadel him to hell with at the most 1 sec left on the clock. What a way to lose a game. I think I still have the replay somewhere.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

Once had an enemy team get to 999 and we won.

Honestly, turnarounds are rarer in this game than other similar products because the single-death mechanics often lead to cascading team failures.

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth

Members
263 posts
2,082 battles
2 hours ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Once had an enemy team get to 999 and we won.

Honestly, turnarounds are rarer in this game than other similar products because the single-death mechanics often lead to cascading team failures.

Yep. Usually once your team starts to lose, it's a downward spiral with no end.

But turnarounds can happen. At a guess I'd say I see one out of every five 'losses' get turned around. Although, today almost every victory I had was a turnaround, and I had mostly victories. Weird day.

[REEF]
Beta Testers
885 posts
10,087 battles
On 6/29/2019 at 4:42 PM, Incomitatus said:

I've seen defeat snatched from the jaws of victory so many times, I think victory needs some jaw exercises!

I don't have a lot of experience in Random with Two Brothers. I only have three Tier V ships so far (and one Tier VI) and that's the lowest ship tier that can see the map. Still, having seen the shenanigans that can happen on that map in replays and commentaries, I was expecting more... something. So far I've liked that map. I've done well on it. It reminds me of Solomon Islands, which is probably my personal best-performing map.

I seem to do best on maps where the avenues of enemy approach are limited by large landmasses. Less to think about. Escape routes, if needed, are easier to plan for. *shrug*

Put in perspective, 97k on Solomon Islands, and in the second battle of the day, one of those maps with lots of tiny islands... only a pathetic 27k. Sank two cruisers, and it was a victory, but totally underwhelming performance. And that's sort of how it goes for me.

I know a lot of people that do well on Two Brothers map, I'm just not one of them.  I too do very well on the Solomon Islands map, I like to protect the gap, then push through it!  I hope you continue to enjoy WOWS as I have since starting play in Closed Beta.  Just remember, it's okay to go down to a lower tier to get back to some fun when you are having a bad day in higher tiers.  A couple of days ago a new member of our clan was having a bad day in T8-T10, so we I told him to go buy a Kaiser, he hadn't done much on the German BB line.  So, we then went and played our Kaisers and he had a blast doing it and felt better!  I told him, it's a game that is meant to be fun!  If you can't have fun in the high tiers drop down to where you can have fun!  Good luck!

Members
263 posts
2,082 battles
3 minutes ago, FlashTX1 said:

I know a lot of people that do well on Two Brothers map, I'm just not one of them.  I too do very well on the Solomon Islands map, I like to protect the gap, then push through it!  I hope you continue to enjoy WOWS as I have since starting play in Closed Beta.  Just remember, it's okay to go down to a lower tier to get back to some fun when you are having a bad day in higher tiers.  A couple of days ago a new member of our clan was having a bad day in T8-T10, so we I told him to go buy a Kaiser, he hadn't done much on the German BB line.  So, we then went and played our Kaisers and he had a blast doing it and felt better!  I told him, it's a game that is meant to be fun!  If you can't have fun in the high tiers drop down to where you can have fun!  Good luck!

I've had the most fun with T4 and T5 ships. I feel like it's a recent change, but T2 and T3 have gotten pretty toxic and hyper-competitive. At least that's been my experience in maybe half the games I've played down there.

When I'm having a bad day, I got into co-op and grind. I grind all my new ships in co-op and don't take them into Random until they're fully upgraded. It takes longer that way, but I really get to know the handling and the guns.

[REEF]
Beta Testers
885 posts
10,087 battles
23 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

And then, you fight like mad to defend your flank, vastly over-matched and totally forget about the other flank when you see your team is winning.  Then you realize that instead of 3 v 5 it is now 2 v 6 even though you sank 2 enemy ships and you look at the minimap and the entire remaining enemy fleet is bearing down on you and your comrade as the last two remaining ships and you have no clue what happened!  That is which I speak when I talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!

• Cool 1

[REEF]
Beta Testers
885 posts
10,087 battles
4 minutes ago, Incomitatus said:

When I'm having a bad day, I got into co-op and grind. I grind all my new ships in co-op and don't take them into Random until they're fully upgraded. It takes longer that way, but I really get to know the handling and the guns.

That's a good way to do it as well!  I never take a new ship into Randoms until it is full upgraded as well, smart!

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this