HorrorRoach

No Benham for me....

11 comments in this topic

[BS]
Members
1,956 posts
10,178 battles

only one missing single did this, torrential rain yesterday... Double layered plaster cieling + tons of insulation that got wet and heavy.

wow.thumb.jpg.9a0cc3e82e51b1e599184019bf46adf3.jpg

i suppose my face was probably priceless when i walked in and saw it

Edited by HorrorRoach

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,998 posts
13,708 battles

ugh geeze! Sorry man, real life has a way of citadeling you when you least expect it. Hope things go as smooth as possible for you. My mother in law just had to replace her kitchen over a leaky dishwasher. 

[WOLF5]
Members
3,407 posts
3,575 battles

Ouch man, that's rough. Did you lose much beside the ceiling and roof? Your insurance covers that I hope? Still, that's a real pain to deal with. Hope you get it sorted out and back to normal quickly.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
16,344 battles

Sure sorry to see this, brother. Went through something similar many years ago and would not wish it on anyone. Here's hoping your insurance covers it and that they get people out to make repairs right away.

Respects,

Am

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
690 posts
5,930 battles

Hope it gets better for you. Weather has been hell all over lately. Here in Michigan we've got record high water everywhere.

[BS]
Members
1,956 posts
10,178 battles

i ripped out the ceiling a few feet in each direction and sucked out the wet insulation/wiped the mold off as best as i could... now i have little fiber glass thingies in my skin. Good thing i was wearing a respirator, heh. At least it'll smell better when i bleach it tomorrow.

Not sure on the insurance, we tried filing a claim for missing shingles on the other side of the house... Sent a guy here with a drone and he said our whole roof was put on incorrectly. It has the nice 30 year doubled up shingles, but you have to nail them in a specific spot for it to work correctly. The shingle itself is "3 ply" in one spot along a ridge in the middle of it, kinda hard to explain, that part gets nailed onto the row above it (In that thicker area as well). It gives the shingles really good sticking power because the wind has to wiggle the nail loose from a bunch of material. They didn't nail any of the shingles in the right spot. It looks like they ran across with a nail gun really quick, LOL.

I'm sure the guy wrote that into their system, so anything that happens as a result from the roof isn't going to be covered. What insurance company would?

EJ

[BS]
Members
1,956 posts
10,178 battles

Cracked out all the area's that had any dampness. Next i'm going to sand off that discoloration/moldy spots. Already wiped off the actual mold spores. THEN i'm bleaching the wood LOL. The guy that fixed the roof said he'd help me hang drywall. Screw it, i'll fill in the boundary gaps with joint compound, then texture the whole cieling afterwards and you'll never know.

image.png.9f757ea25213fe9b64143294576d2c51.png

[BS]
Members
1,956 posts
10,178 battles

Good news, the insurance is paying out. He even told me to do it myself and pocket the money if I want to... Or hire someone hourly who knows what they're doing with drywall, then I'll do the mudding/sanding/painting myself... So potentially, i might only be spending 500 of the 2,000 check. Not sure what the amount actually is though, I'll find out tomorrow.

But since I'm saving all this money and doing all this work, MAYBE I'LL JUST BUY BENHAM when it hits the premium shop in a few months.

EJ