Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ronin69

DD Invisible

9 comments in this topic

[HITHG]
Members
121 posts
11,504 battles

Lately, I've encountered invisible DDs.  You won't see them until you've flown over the top, too late to line up a shot with rockets.  Also, the DD AA is much stronger now.

• Funny 2

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,817 posts
38,539 battles

Er, no.

If the AA is off (should be turned off in a DD), then it is 2km most of the time, with a few (wider)  exceptions.

Edited by alexf24

Members
181 posts

yeah.. unless their AA shoots at you, you'll fly right over them. DD concealment will give them 2km sight(air) distance. But surface sight distance to them is 5km, depending on camo and extras.

That always had me baffled. If a DD is steaming full speed, its wake & smoke should be seen from further away than 2km. I call shenanigans!

[HEROS]
Members
2,089 posts
18,868 battles

this is an ARCADE type naval combat game...  It is not a naval combat simulator.. it's taken me 3 years to get that to sink into my head.

I don't particularly like it myself but its the way thing are. 

A real naval combat sim wouldn't have as many people potentially playing because naval combat sims involve a lot of driving about in strait line shooting your guns and waiting for RNG to bless you with some actual damaging hits much less hitting at all because the historical hit percentage with real world naval ships was on average a mear 3% during the period of the great war, and climbed to a heady 5% during world war II.  AIr dropped torpedo's had a somewhat better percentage as long as the torpedo planes lived to drop their torps and dive bombing was the most effective of all on most ships but even then most bombs missed.  This is why almost all naval combat sim place you in the position of a task commander minimum, and in most mast cases a theater commander in chief. just so you have more to do because other wise you mostly sit and wait for something to happen.

It is boring, and it is frustrating for the vast majority of adrenaline junkies that are computer gamers today.

If you want a real naval combat sim there are several out there but world of warships isn't one of them.

As for the DD... he did what I do... I leave my AA off because by the time you spot me by flying over me you wont have time to drop.  And when I do get spotted at 2 Km, I turn on my AA, smoke up and cut speed to stay under my smoke and unseen by the aircraft.  If I've an AA spec on my DD I go ahead and focus the AA sector other wise I just leave it be.   If you are a CV driver and the DD is playing smart don't waste your time if there are bigger, slower, less nimble target available.  If you overfly a DD that generally less then 10 Km away from your carrier turn away because the torps are likely already in the water and inbound.    DD's are the smallest hit pool, poorest defended ships in the game..  Only their high damage potential (and I do mean POTENTIAL) and ability to mostly not be seen make them a viable ship to play in this game.  Those that play them and do well have to be half again better then YOUR best just to break even.  

Most player don't last in DD and give up playing because they are so fragile and that leaves the DD"s that are left in the hand of skilled player that know what they are about.  Once you get to tier 8 and above the deck is seriously stacked against the DD's.  2/5ths the cruisers in the game and a 1/5 of the BB's pack either RADAR or some fairly long range long action Hydroacoustic search. Care to guess which cruisers and battleships at these tiers are the most played?  When air craft are tossed into the mix on top of that rather lethal brew is goes beyond difficult.  One of the first things you learn in a DD is if the CV want you dead, then you will die unless the CV dies first or find something easier to hit.

You've much yet to learn about the game mechanics and balance.  You will learn or you give up and go do something else.    This is a very fun game but a team only does as well as it's worst  players because team work and working with other ships is essential to winning.  Your CV is only one ship of 12.  A  CV can make an error in play and generally survive the error.   DD's usually don't survive their mistakes.   They get one chance to get it right . 

So there you go.   You know a little more then you did a while ago.  See you out there.

Warlord sends.

[WORX]
Members
14,297 posts
20,867 battles

You mean surface ships have decent AA again?  Cool, maybe the bleeding of players numbers on a monthly basis can slow down...

• Cool 1

[SOCOM]
Members
804 posts
25,640 battles

If they would limit the torps on dd t0 40-50 maybe they would be less likely to spam torps all battle,  they have smoke and low concealment any way, I watched a dd launch 15 torps on one salvo. and inturn had about 8 more salvos. Now most dd carried 15 or so so limit to 40-50 would put it more reasonable

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[GRETA]
Members
1,507 posts
11,690 battles

If the dd has his aa turned off drop a fighter over him.  It will keep him spotted while you and your team delete him.  Unfortunately since the aa change, dd's are really the only viable targets.  Time to get good at focusing them and become relentless at it.  Let the tears flow, they made their bed, now they can lie in it.

Members
31 posts
640 battles

Yes, the invisible DD seems to be a new thing.

I have literally run over a DD with my rocket planes and been too close to engage.  I hit hard A/D on the keyboard and RMB to watch the spot but by the time I have made the turn, I have traveled beyond visual range again.  Only hope is to start slowing down halfway into the turn and start the attack run before I have actually seen the DD.

Even then, if he has turned into me, it is a near run thing about the rockets arming before he is inside my aim point.

This is even with his AA turned on.  I am losing planes to AA before I can even see the little b@st@rd.

Yeah....  not impressed with the current state of the CV vs DD game.  Best I can hope for is a friendly DD/CC to be putting shells into the little b@st@rd before he knocks all my planes down.

It has gotten to the point that I slingshot my second squadron into the empty spot where I last had contact with the DD so I don't lose planes on the way in as I am looking for him.

Sorry, this is not fun nor in anyway realistic.

[-BUI-]
Members
2,707 posts
7,103 battles

DD spotting being so ridiculous is purely for their survival.   

It is fairly stupid that a ship that can be seen on the water at 6 KM can't be seen by air until 2.5 KM.    Apparently pilots in Warships are just totally blind.

Sign in to follow this