Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
javabucks

Stealth Fire?

4 comments in this topic

[TF122]
Members
7 posts
3,859 battles

I have a question related to an older post about detection from user @FirstOfOne - this is the link to the post . He provides a link to a concealment chart that promotes the idea of open sea "stealth firing" when you have either Concealment or AFT commander skills on some destroyers. The gist of the post was that the LOS "bloom" created when you fire your guns only reaches as far as your gun max range BEFORE applying the AFT bonus. Thus, theoretically there is a "stealth zone" where you can fire on enemy ships if you are outside of your main guns standard max range but can still reach them based on the AFT range boost, even if they have LOS. 

Is this still a thing, or have patches since that post eliminated that aspect of open sea play? I've tested it from a Farragut but it either isn't valid anymore or I'm not executing it properly. 

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,477 posts
2 minutes ago, javabucks said:

I have a question related to an older post about detection from user @FirstOfOne - this is the link to the post . He provides a link to a concealment chart that promotes the idea of open sea "stealth firing" when you have either Concealment or AFT commander skills on some destroyers. The gist of the post was that the LOS "bloom" created when you fire your guns only reaches as far as your gun max range BEFORE applying the AFT bonus. Thus, theoretically there is a "stealth zone" where you can fire on enemy ships if you are outside of your main guns standard max range but can still reach them based on the AFT range boost, even if they have LOS. 

Is this still a thing, or have patches since that post eliminated that aspect of open sea play? I've tested it from a Farragut but it either isn't valid anymore or I'm not executing it properly. 

It was patched out.

[RKLES]
Members
11,788 posts
13,378 battles
1 hour ago, javabucks said:

Thanks for the quick response @Burnsy

You can still exploit stealth fire to some extent in DDs such as firing in smoke, or using short gun ranged DDs to kill enemy ships. If your gun range is shorter than the distance to the other enemy ships you immediately go dark again once the ship spotting you is destroyed. This is why I actually have grown to love short gun range on some of my DDs that are well suited to the hit and fade tactics.

Sign in to follow this