You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IronMike11C4O

Just a theory

21 comments in this topic

Members
436 posts
202 battles

Here is a theory. There is a brand new high tier "free to get"  DD locked behind an insane mission paywall. What to do?

Most people if they really really want it are going to have to  spend real world money to get, unless your are retired, a kid out of school or have no life you are never gonna get enough done to get it.

CV's were just nerfed hard.

So the average Joe who doesn't come to the forum everyday is gonna be like yeah I'm gonna spend me some real world money on that new high tier DD, yeah!

Only for CV's to be rebuffed after said high tier high paywall DD is no longer available. 

I'm calling it; you read it here first.

Edited by IronMike11C4O
  • Funny 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,477 posts
32 minutes ago, IronMike11C4O said:

Her is a theory. There is a brand new high tier "free to get"  DD locked behind an insane mission paywall. What to do?

Most people if they really really want it are going to have to  spend real world money to get, unless your are retired, a kid out of school or have no life you are never gonna get enough done to get it.

CV's were just nerfed hard.

So the average Joe who doesn't come to the forum everyday is gonna be like yeah I'm gonna spend me some real world money on that new high tier DD, yeah!

Only for CV's to be rebuffed after said high tier high paywall DD is no longer available. 

I'm calling it you read it here first.

The ebb and flow of this game, the meta of what is more powerful than what, has changed hundreds of times since launch.  It will change hundreds of more times.  It can change slow, waiting weeks or months for this or that, or hot fixes can and have dropped any random night and that change the game unexpectedly (sometimes even for wg) and instantly.

Some new ships that were rewards for events hit the streets and were real duds right away, only to be buffed into really good ships, months later.

I don't buy into the theory.  I think WG simply over tuned AA, they now see that and are going to make changes to correct for it.  I don't think it is anything deeper than that.

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
4,251 posts
6 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

The ebb and flow of this game, the meta of what is more powerful than what, has changed hundreds of times since launch.  It will change hundreds of more times.  It can change slow, waiting weeks or months for this or that, or hot fixes can and have dropped any random night and that change the game unexpectedly (sometimes even for wg) and instantly.

Some new ships that were rewards for events hit the streets and were real duds right away, only to be buffed into really good ships, months later.

I don't buy into the theory.  I think WG simply over tuned AA, they now see that and are going to make changes to correct for it.  I don't think it is anything deeper than that.

Question. Mr Conway said on a live stream there good with CV so go and buy them. Then 3 months or so of nerfing we get this. 

You spend 50 or 60 on somthing that is unusable.

He buy the Georgia. 2 weeks later o look ae have a better Georgia coming out. 

It starts to look questionable. Dont you think?

[A-D-F]
6,477 posts
14 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Question. Mr Conway said on a live stream there good with CV so go and buy them. Then 3 months or so of nerfing we get this. 

Na.  CVs for example have gone from over powered to underpowered and back several times since 8.0.  At one point IJN destroyers were the hotness, now they are in a poor state.  I mean even back in beta the cool thing to do was spend money and buy a Kitakami and torp spam everyone to death.  Then one morning we all woke up and they were all gone from the game forever :(.

It's good to listen to ship reviews and other's opinions, those are tools that you can use to form your own opinion.  If you go chasing the new "thing" every single time one comes out though because it's all over youtube and twitch, you are going to end up disappointed more than a few times.

Buy ships for their core mechanics, or because you like the history behind a ship or you simply just like the ship. Those things typically don't change.  Chasing some "edge" that a ship gives right now though, is a mistake on your part because WG is likely to remove that edge if possible, because the goal is balance.  Balancing hundreds and hundreds of different ships all agaisn't each other is a HUGE, very complicated and difficult task.

There will always be something "better" in someone's opinion that will come along at some point.  WG of course tries to push that, because it's good for sales and I don't blame them one bit.  If you are constantly chasing that though, it will be a never ending cycle of ups and downs.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,414 posts

It's really amusing to watch the fanboi's try to argue WG's side, when they secretly know WG is simply another company trying to take advantage of it's customers.:Smile_amazed:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[A-D-F]
6,477 posts
16 minutes ago, awiggin said:

It's really amusing to watch the fanboi's try to argue WG's side, when they secretly know WG is simply another company trying to take advantage of it's customers.:Smile_amazed:

Of course I am a fan of the game.  I enjoy playing it.  Not sure why you would continue to play a game if you were not a fan of the game. 

WG is another company trying to make money from their customers, like every other company on the planet.  I think it's amusing to read theories that say they are more than that.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,132 posts
45 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Do you remember him saying his manager liked German BB and told him to buff them, power creep had gotten to his favorite ship? Yup, data drives all their actions. 

Members
429 posts
20,101 battles
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I think it's amusing to read theories that say they are more than that.

There is a difference between making money in an honest manner and doing so via bait and switch tactics.  Do enough of the latter, and eventually you will not have any customers.

Members
1,451 posts
6,927 battles
18 minutes ago, awiggin said:

I was literally reading the post above you and thinking, wow when you are under the spell they can do no wrong, amazing.

[A-D-F]
6,477 posts
Just now, ObnoxiousPotato said:

There is a difference between making money in an honest manner and doing so via bait and switch tactics.  Do enough of the latter, and eventually you will not have any customers.

WG has not bait and switched me.  Now I will agree that their descriptions of things are sometimes not the clearest. I have seen several times now though, the most recent with the airsupply containers in the CV event, where they have made things right of their own accord with the players due to confusion stemming from that.

They took a financial hit in that example to correct the issue.  That's good will toward their customers in my book.

[A-D-F]
6,477 posts
6 minutes ago, 0NutsNBolts0 said:

I was literally reading the post above you and thinking, wow when you are under the spell they can do no wrong, amazing.

I am not under any spell, I try to remain unbiased and objective based on my own observations. 

I understand that isn't the "cool" thing to do in this community, looking at the actual facts and the actual events that occurred.  It means I don't always fit that group think conformity and "click" that WG is out to get everyone, but I try be objective in my opinions, just the same.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,414 posts
31 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Of course I am a fan of the game.  I enjoy playing it.  Not sure why you would continue to play a game if you were not a fan of the game. 

WG is another company trying to make money from their customers, like every other company on the planet.  I think it's amusing to read theories that say they are more than that.

Yes, but most people don't defend such mercenary tactics from companies....

Would you also sing the praises of AT&T if they were endlessly trying to dig more money of of your pocket in a desperate attempt to keep their business going??:Smile_amazed:

And what you and your friends seemingly fail to realize is, WOWS is a disappointment to WG. It's never even gained 5% of the player base of WOT, a far older game. It's lost nearly 50% of it's player base in the first 3.8 years.

it should be obvious to anyone they are struggling to keep the game going, begging people to bring their friends in. But it won't matter since after all this time, they still can't come to terms with the player base they have, and continue to believe that they can create one.

This game had promise when I first started playing, but every move WG has made, has made the game less fun, more annoying and less team oriented. 

What is really comes down to, is lack of options. In order to gain any type of population, WG had to cast it's net far and wide, and bring in an extremely diverse player base.

But rather than try to  adapt to the players they got, and provide some options that would allow players to choose how they played, they have spent all this time trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Rather than two queues, one for CV's and whoever, and one surface ship only, it's CV's or else. Rather than removing useless mechanics like a mercy rule for bots, they continue to try and tell everyone, our way or the highway.....

Is it any wonder they've lost so many players and can't retain people?

And it's just you and a few people who endlessly spam defense of this behavior, with really no actually argument to justify it. 

It's almost as if you few people believe if you spam long enough and loud enough, everyone will come around to your opinion....:Smile_facepalm:

Or perhaps you actually believe that data like this is a good sign....

GWib3pY.png

Edited by awiggin
  • Boring 1

Members
1,451 posts
6,927 battles

To me playing video games is about spending a fair price and getting some entertainment in return.  It's not about setting up a system where players invest time and effort, only to not quite make it, and the only solution then is to buy some loot boxes (sorry astonishment capsules).  To me that is a company that is pulling off as much as they can get away with. 

The idea here is that once people invest their time and effort, they are more likely to spend the money on loot boxes. 

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0
  • Cool 1

[A-D-F]
6,477 posts
3 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Yes, but most people don't defend such mercenary tactics from companies....

Would you also sing the praises of AT&T if they were endlessly trying to dig more money of of your pocket in a desperate attempt to keep their business going??:Smile_amazed:

I am fine with a company making as much money as possible in a legal way.  In fact to use a word from earlier in the thread, I am a fan of it.  I hope WG makes lots and lots and lots of money from their product. 

If I feel that a company is no longer in my best interest to do business with, I will cease doing so.

Members
429 posts
20,101 battles
6 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

WG has not bait and switched me. 

I didn't write or attempt to imply that anyone performed an intentional bait and switch.

However, how things have transpired over the last half year or so is suspicious.  i.e., CV rework launched after the holiday season (after many people have spent money on Christmas crates/presents and Premium Time packages), release of UK CVs, premium CV packages in Premium Shop, and then, after getting their influx of money due to CV mania, a significant change to AA finally occurs, which, at least for some CV enthusiasts, is perceived as making CVs "no longer fun to play or unplayable".

Members
1,451 posts
6,927 battles

So you do not discern between offering a product the customer wants for a fair price versus these loot boxes and tricks.  Fair enough.  I won't settle for anything but the first.

[A-D-F]
6,477 posts
3 minutes ago, 0NutsNBolts0 said:

To me playing video games is about spending a fair price and getting some entertainment in return.  It's not about setting up a system where players invest time and effort, only to not quite make it, and the only solution then is to buy some loot boxes (sorry astonishment capsules).  To me that is a company that is pulling off as much as they can get away with. 

I am perfectly fine with that situation.  In the vast majority of cases though, WG sets it up so you that don't actually need to purchase a loot crate.  It's a long road to get the thing for free, but it can be done.  I like that challenge.  It's fun.

I also don't mind spending money here and there for something I want that I can't get in another way or if I just feel like being lazy about it.  WG gets some money, I get entertainment value for my money, it works for me.

[A-D-F]
6,477 posts
1 minute ago, ObnoxiousPotato said:

I didn't write or attempt to imply that anyone performed an intentional bait and switch.

However, how things have transpired over the last half year or so is suspicious.  i.e., CV rework launched after the holiday season (after many people have spent money on Christmas crates/presents and Premium Time packages), release of UK CVs, premium CV packages in Premium Shop, and then, after getting their influx of money due to CV mania, a significant change to AA finally occurs, which, at least for some CV enthusiasts, is perceived as making CVs "no longer fun to play or unplayable".

WG warned us, many times and long before the CVs ever went up for sale, that there would be ongoing and lasting changes to the CV and everything around it.

I can certainly understand if that would give one pause and/or not purchase.  No problems with that, we spend our money how we see fit.  WG did warn us though about what was planned, they did not attempt to hide it.

[A-D-F]
6,477 posts
13 minutes ago, 0NutsNBolts0 said:

So you do not discern between offering a product the customer wants for a fair price versus these loot boxes and tricks.  Fair enough.  I won't settle for anything but the first.

Fair is subjective.  What is fair to me may not be to you and vice versa.  It's near impossible to define what is considered fair by every player in this context.

If WG said here if you do this thing then you get this thing and THEN we found out after we did the thing, that we don't really get the thing, that's a trick.  They don't do that. 

You might not like the defined requirements to get the thing, and that's fine. They don't trick us though, they don't change the rules after they define them. They tell us up front what the rules are. Then we as the customer, decide if we are going to participate or not.

[OIL-1]
Members
449 posts

I have my own theory.
Why does WG keep flooding us with tier 9 Freemium ships?
Right now, there are only 3 tiers worth playing. 4, 7, and 10.
4 can't be used for event missions. That leaves 7 & 10.
7 works, because nobody plays tier 9, so you're less likely to be double up-tiered.
Nobody plays tier 9, because the ships are not as good as tier 10 ships, but they cost the same to run, so why not just play tier 10.
But with more and more people playing the affordable tier 9 freemium ships, the chances are increased that the tier 7 players
will become double up-tiered so often, that it will be as horrible as playing tier 8 is today.
WG will effectively kill tier 7, and force everyone to play on tier 10.

Avoid the rush, and pick up your Salem and Yoshino today!

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
13,227 posts
18,423 battles
2 hours ago, IronMike11C4O said:

I'm calling it you read it here first.

Could you restate that in English and not whatever it was that you used above?

• Boring 1