You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Big_Red_1

How bad is it?

39 comments in this topic

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,526 posts
3,480 battles

i am intrigued to know what is the state of game balance regarding carriers so far since i "stepped away" from WoWs to take a "break" from it. is it bad, worse or just plain awful? from what i gathered AA is still a complete broken mess that needs looking at still and long list of other problems longer than my arm. should i keep my distance from it still or call it quits? personally i like playing ships more than i do tanks and not to mention the fact that invested a lot of time and effort into this game. 2019 seems to be a sour year for video games thus far. I keep saying this time and time again that WG (among others) should REALLY start TAKING NOTES FROM CDPR's playbook. when i say that i mean the entire WG dev team in Minsk should book a flight to Warsaw as well as time for development quality and business ethics inquiries/observations from how CDPR does it. WG has the money to afford the tickets and they have nothing to lose. so they should do it especially since CDPR's super smash big hit game CP2077 will hit stores ten months from now...

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
24,191 battles

It is not going to get any better ever so you may as well just call it quits.

• Cool 1

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,526 posts
3,480 battles
26 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

It is not going to get any better ever so you may as well just call it quits.

damit. sigh all good things must come end right? i had a good run with this game. it kills me that WG has become a victims of its own success. they really should have paid more attention with what was happening around them...

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,819 posts
38,629 battles

While I do not like the CV rework as a DD main, and I had to stop playing T8+ DDs, esp. T10 DDs which can't deal with Midway/Hak (both way OP), I still plod along at lower tiers.

What will make me quit will be the addition of subs, which do not belong in this game.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,827 posts
24,979 battles
56 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

While I do not like the CV rework as a DD main, and I had to stop playing T8+ DDs, esp. T10 DDs which can't deal with Midway/Hak (both way OP), I still plod along at lower tiers.

What will make me quit will be the addition of subs, which do not belong in this game.

I agree with your comments and especially about subs. I can only see them balanced if they are given unrealistic speeds while submerged and that would be too much of a stretch.

• Boring 1

[-VT-]
Members
876 posts
38,452 battles

Good grief, the game is fine.  Don’t let anything keep you from playing, especially second hand information.

Come see for yourself.

The CV stuff set everyone on edge.  Every subsequent change rattles the troop base anew.  Don’t let the ‘noise’ from a few stop you.

• Cool 1

[PISD]
Members
2,011 posts
6,649 battles
5 hours ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

i am intrigued to know what is the state of game balance regarding carriers so far since i "stepped away" from WoWs to take a "break" from it. is it bad, worse or just plain awful? from what i gathered AA is still a complete broken mess that needs looking at still and long list of other problems longer than my arm. should i keep my distance from it still or call it quits? personally i like playing ships more than i do tanks and not to mention the fact that invested a lot of time and effort into this game. 2019 seems to be a sour year for video games thus far. I keep saying this time and time again that WG (among others) should REALLY start TAKING NOTES FROM CDPR's playbook. when i say that i mean the entire WG dev team in Minsk should book a flight to Warsaw as well as time for development quality and business ethics inquiries/observations from how CDPR does it. WG has the money to afford the tickets and they have nothing to lose. so they should do it especially since CDPR's super smash big hit game CP2077 will hit stores ten months from now...

AA right now is quite fine. Unless you Yolo with a poor AA ships, you will not suffer as much as before and shoot down quite a few plane. WG is probably closer than ever to a real balance now.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Members
10 posts
7 hours ago, Y_Nagato said:

AA right now is quite fine. Unless you Yolo with a poor AA ships, you will not suffer as much as before and shoot down quite a few plane. WG is probably closer than ever to a real balance now.

:Smile_facepalm:

[PISD]
Members
2,011 posts
6,649 battles
7 hours ago, thecoffeeguy said:

:Smile_facepalm:

Thanks for the constructive argument.

[GRETA]
Members
1,508 posts
11,780 battles
15 hours ago, Y_Nagato said:

How about you play more than 5% of your battles in a CV before you expect anyone that actually plays them to value your opinion on whether or not "aa right now is quite fine'.

Aa was fine before 8.5, attacking tightly grouped ships or aa boats netted huge losses.  The only difference now is we cant even go after lone low aa rating ships without incurring losses.  It effectively prevents CV's from punishing the potato mafia as efficiently as before.

• Cool 1

[PISD]
Members
2,011 posts
6,649 battles
6 hours ago, HallaSnackbar said:

How about you play more than 5% of your battles in a CV before you expect anyone that actually plays them to value your opinion on whether or not "aa right now is quite fine'.

Aa was fine before 8.5, attacking tightly grouped ships or aa boats netted huge losses.  The only difference now is we cant even go after lone low aa rating ships without incurring losses.  It effectively prevents CV's from punishing the potato mafia as efficiently as before.

Well, my number will not improve that much since I did not like the RTS and barely touch CV at that point.

still, you should wonder: why a guy that only play 5% of his game in CV can find the way to have fun and be relevant to the team, but you cannot.

[GRETA]
Members
1,508 posts
11,780 battles
1 hour ago, Y_Nagato said:

Well, my number will not improve that much since I did not like the RTS and barely touch CV at that point.

still, you should wonder: why a guy that only play 5% of his game in CV can find the way to have fun and be relevant to the team, but you cannot.

How exactly do you come to the conclusion that I can't have fun and be relevant?   I play more BB's than CV's and have a higher win % in every ship I play than you do.

Edited by HallaSnackbar

[PISD]
Members
2,011 posts
6,649 battles
11 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

How exactly do you come to the conclusion that I can't have fun and be relevant?   I play more BB's than CV's and have a higher win % in every ship I play than you do.

So were is the problem? If you have fun and stay relevant in CV, why would the AA change be bad for it?

[GRETA]
Members
1,508 posts
11,780 battles
30 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

So were is the problem? If you have fun and stay relevant in CV, why would the AA change be bad for it?

I have fun and stay relevant in my other ship classes, I enjoy them all.  What I do not enjoy are unnecessary nerfs that make certain classes impossible to play competitively,  not because they were actually op and needed it but rather because a large group of inept players would not or could not figure out how to counter them.  Again, someone who has only played 5% of their battles in a CV does not have a well rounded enough pool of experience to have a relevant opinion on what is good for cv or cv vs surface ship interaction. 

[PISD]
Members
2,011 posts
6,649 battles
3 hours ago, HallaSnackbar said:

I have fun and stay relevant in my other ship classes, I enjoy them all.  What I do not enjoy are unnecessary nerfs that make certain classes impossible to play competitively,  not because they were actually op and needed it but rather because a large group of inept players would not or could not figure out how to counter them.  Again, someone who has only played 5% of their battles in a CV does not have a well rounded enough pool of experience to have a relevant opinion on what is good for cv or cv vs surface ship interaction. 

Again, why is the 5% that important for you? In fact, if someone who do not play that much CV game did not find the AA change game breaking, people with more experience should also be able to deal with it. That is, if their fun was not only to do over 100k damage per game with few opposition.

Also, the 5% argument is plainly wrong here. I played the majority of my game before the rework, and almost all my CV game were played after it. That means that around 20% of my game post rework were in CV (roughly).  But even that do not mean anything: a player may well have played 5% cv game post rework while having played over 200 games in CV. Does it make it less relevant? No.

So if I, as a potato player, find the new AA not as bad as some claim it to be, I have the right to say so and it own as much value as any other player. That is probably nothing.

[BIER]
Members
463 posts
7,417 battles

The CV reworks forced a huge change in the meta.

Nothing in the subsequent tinkering has altered that change.

The change was atrociously bad. For everyone, in all classes of ships.

Here's what we're stuck with:

1. Virtually ZERO CV vs CV play possible. It's all CV vs anything but CV.  (completely broken "fighter" concept)
  2. Virtually permanent spotting of the entire map in very short periods of time. 
  3. Unlimited planes
  4. DDs getting reamed with no hope of defense
  5. Skill gap between CV players still the dominating factor in any game
  6. High number of repeat attack potential against single targets
  7. Plane squad usage for long periods post-CV sinking
  8. Terrible CV ship control

That doesn't even get into the problems with specific mechanics (like the kind and likelihood of damage from the various plane types, AA levels and control, captain skill and ship upgrades, et al.)

Virtually everyone in-game prefers to play games that don't have a CV in them - the level of relief that people express when they queue into a game without CVs is loud, persistent, and consistent. That alone tells you how "successful" the rework is.

Edited by LAnybody
  • Boring 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
231 posts
10,608 battles

The CV reworks forced a huge change in the meta.

Nothing in the subsequent tinkering has altered that change.

The change was atrociously bad. For everyone, in all classes of ships.

Here's what we're stuck with:

1. Virtually ZERO CV vs CV play possible. It's all CV vs anything but CV.  (completely broken "fighter" concept)
  2. Virtually permanent spotting of the entire map in very short periods of time. 
  3. Unlimited planes
  4. DDs getting reamed with no hope of defense
  5. Skill gap between CV players still the dominating factor in any game
  6. High number of repeat attack potential against single targets
  7. Plane squad usage for long periods post-CV sinking
  8. Terrible CV ship control

That doesn't even get into the problems with specific mechanics (like the kind and likelihood of damage from the various plane types, AA levels and control, captain skill and ship upgrades, et al.)

Virtually everyone in-game prefers to play games that don't have a CV in them - the level of relief that people express when they queue into a game without CVs is loud, persistent, and consistent. That alone tells you how "successful" the rework is.

LOL! Such advice from someone *who has never played a CV!! Ever!!* Your service record says "0.00%" CV battles. 

"Virtually ZERO CV vs CV play possible. It's all CV vs anything but CV.  (completely broken "fighter" concept)"

1. This has always been a stupid thing to do as a CV player. CVs have tons of AA, and unless you have a 2v2 CV match and can swarm them, it's a total waste of time.

2. Quote

Virtually permanent spotting of the entire map in very short periods of time. 

LOL, you mean spotting that lasts for 20sec? Oh noes, how awful. And given the current nastieness of AA you probably lose a squadron getting that scouting report.

3. Quote

Unlimited planes

Says someone with ZERO CV experience. You actually lose planes really fast against current AA, so fast it's almost pointless. Even against a Gearing by itself you'll lose more planes than you can believe. CVs have a finite number of planes and have a slower re-arm rate than before the "patch" so unless you're careful you'll soon be reduced to launching 2plane "squadrons."

4. Quote

DDs getting reamed with no hope of defense

Most of the time, unless a DD is stupid, they are hard to spot and kill. DDs and CAs can go "stealth" in a way thats totally contrary to physics. For instance, many T8-T10 DDs have a spotting range of 2km or less by CV planes! How much sense does that make, that a plane is 1000m in the sky and has a harder time spotting a ship than another ship does?? That means you almost literally have to fly right over a DD to spot it (unless they are stupid and keep AA on). Then it goes back invisible, so you have to circle back to attack an empty area of ocean in the hopes you guess correctly where it went.

5. Quote

Skill gap between CV players still the dominating factor in any game

That's always true for any ship class. I'm a mediocre CV driver, but until this latest patch was happy I'd just earned my T10 USS Midway -- only to find I have less chance to do anything at that tier, and am better off just playing T6 CVs for now. Really frustrating.

6. Quote

High number of repeat attack potential against single targets

Nope. Almost ZERO chance of repeat attacks against single targets if they have decent AA, because as you maneuver around for a second pass you're typically within the AA bubble and just die. So mostly you get only ONE high speed pass, and then hope to get to the next target or disengage before ya die.

7. Quote

Plane squad usage for long periods post-CV sinking

Meh, so what? My CV is dead and I get one last attack with my maneuverable HE shells from the sky? If you're a decent DD driver those CV planes aren't much of a threat, nor against anyone else -- one last tag.

8. Quote

Terrible CV ship control

Yep, still the case. The CV AI sucks, and they should let you put your planes on autopilot while you steer your ship during an attack, but they don't.

Here's my perspective. I have 1097 battles in CVs,  enjoy most ships and am the first to admit I'm a mediocre player. But 1097 battles teaches ya a few things about CVs and how to play them, and how to counter them.

CVs are really support ships not primary killers. Given how nasty AA is, CVs are really only scary to players who decide to run off all alone or to teams that do not maintain basic ship formations. 

CVs can scout and lay down buffs (fighter cover to protect allies and spot enemy DDs) and de-buffs on enemies. Most damage caused by CVs is minor (e.g. a typical aerial torpedo may only cause 3K damage), so most CV attacks cause damage stacks to help wear down ships for the team, and hoping for fires and floods on a target. Fires and floods are the biggest damage causers for a CV. Most CV kills are scavenging shots -- picking off wounded ships.

So play smart. If you're a DD driver, turn OFF YOUR AA! They will make it very hard to spot you. Then if you are spotted, if you have good AA, sure, turn it on only during the attack -- but it's just as effective to keep your AA OFF and keep steering towards the planes, which reduces their reaction time on making the next pass. Works most of the time (btw, I have almost 3000 battles in DDs). 

For the most part it's really annoying to hear players with little to no CV experience so misrepresent the class. Now they are nerfed so bad, I think I'll let my shiny new Midway sit at dock and go back to playing DDs, BBs and maybe T6 CVs now and again.

Edited by EasyEight
  • Cool 2

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
24,191 battles

@EasyEight CVs are not support ships. They are reach out afar, find the enemy and hammer them hard long before they are within gunnery range. 

The garbage CV ReBork did away with that. Now they are nothing more than annoying mosquito swarms.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
231 posts
10,608 battles
18 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

CVs are not support ships. They are reach out afar, find the enemy and hammer them hard long before they are within gunnery range. 

That's not how they play. AA is simply too strong to be a hammer of the gods, and you cannot attack with your entire squadron so you are limited in the damage you can dish out. It's been that way since they changed CVs from asset management play to arcade play. Sure, in the good 'ol days you could drop x6 torps in one attack on somebody far behind the battleline, like a DD just descended from the skies. BOOM! Glorious when you did it right. And you could line up multiple attacks by various planes, do group attacks and all that. Now it's really an attack with x2-4 planes at one time, usually against an AA wall these days that blows yer butt outta the sky. Then you have to fly a new squadron off the deck and fly it all the way to target, no autopilot for your planes.

Can you mess with a solo ship? Yes. Against a formation, your ability to do so is limited. Against a formation or high AA ship:

1.Most of the time DBs are worthless, unless it's against a solo ship you won't even reach your target -- all shot down.

2. TBs are usually good for the initial drop, maybe one follow up before yer all shot down.

3. Rockets are usually good for the initial attack, maybe one follow up before yer all shot down.

And what about damage? Say I manage to drop x4 torps on a ship with my Midway. Maximum damage is 4233 per torp hit. Given torp spreads and target maneuverability, AA effects and all that, average the number of torps you land against an aware target is likely to be:

*BB: 2 hits, unless the guy sails in a straight line and I "ambush" from behind an island to minimize AA, maybe 3-4 hits

*CA: 1 against a maneuvering CA, maybe 2

*DD: 1 hit

So say I hit a BB with 2 torps, potential damage of 8,466. Will I do that much damage? What if I apply those hits to a Yammy with 55% torpedo damage reduction? Then I lost an entire squadron to put 3809 damage points on a ship with about 100,000 HP. Not that scary, just 3.8% damage.

Now let's compare that to scoring x2 torp hits on that Yammy from a Shimikaze that is sitting 10km away. Each Type93 mod. 3 torp can deliver a maximum of 23,766 each, or potential damage of 47, 532hp. That's x5.6 the damage potential of two aerial torp hits. Let's say I also hit max torp protection on that Yamato, I would end up doing 21,390hp to a 100,000 hp ship. That's 21.39% damage, ouch!

So CV's are really relegated to scouts, support ships and vultures.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
231 posts
10,608 battles
4 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@EasyEight I suppose my second sentence is irrelevant then.

Yep, guess I should have comprehended what you wrote...indeed, CVs are not killers, they are mosquitos now.

[TCWNN]
Beta Testers
9 posts
4,705 battles

CVs are broken as of the reworrk and WG actively been nurf batting them further and buffing AA guns.  AA makes it so you spend most of your time ferrying planes who die instantly, and repeat.  T4 can be fun.  T6-T10 you might as well uninstall.

[-VT-]
Members
108 posts
14,440 battles

Tier 4 is also brutal AA.    WG is just floundering.  Clueless stabs at "fixes" since the CV intro.   They've created a huge mess, and are losing big numbers of vet players 

[BIER]
Members
463 posts
7,417 battles
On 6/30/2019 at 2:44 PM, EasyEight said:

LOL! Such advice from someone *who has never played a CV!! Ever!!* Your service record says "0.00%" CV battles. 

Who cares?  This is my 5th account, and I don't play CV on the NA server. I play CV on the EU one, mostly, sometimes on the Russian.  I've got an aggregate of 15,000 Random battles across 3+ years of play, about 2000 of that in CVs.   Moreover, I'm talking about the META, which affects all ships by how the CVs work. You don't need to specifically play CVs to comment on the meta changes.

Moveover, I was presuming the OP had played CVs prior to the rework, so was familiar with how they HAD worked (and what the meta was like then).

1. This has always been a stupid thing to do as a CV player. CVs have tons of AA, and unless you have a 2v2 CV match and can swarm them, it's a total waste of time.

CV vs CV isn't about attacking the other CV.  It was priorly about the PLANES attacking each other. I presumed people understood that from the comment about fighters. Obviously, I gave everyone too much credit for thinking.

Prior to the rework, CV players battled each other in the air, and it was a BIG part of the play.  Now, you just ignore the other CV's planes, from a practical matter. Even the "fighter drops" aren't really of anything other than a minor consequence, and certainly don't have even a 10th of the effect the prior system had.

2. LOL, you mean spotting that lasts for 20sec? Oh noes, how awful. And given the current nastieness of AA you probably lose a squadron getting that scouting report.

Spotting briefly is a HUGE deal, because it lets you get an excellent view of the entire team's movement, and mostly nullifies maneuvers.  If you're losing planes doing brief spotting, you're doing it wrong.  This is a function of the 3x or more speed increase in plane speed, as well as the far more rapid ability to redeploy squads.  CVs now have the ability to spot stuff on the entire map, with very little delay, so sneaking around is an order of magnitude harder.

You no longer can just hover over a ship, keeping them continuously spotted, as before the rework.  But that's not really a big loss - you briefly spot a ship for 5 seconds, every 10-15 seconds or so. Your team still can lay down VERY effective fire, as they just hold their fire until you spot, they fire, then you circle around while they reload.  Rinse, repeat. 

3. Says someone with ZERO CV experience. You actually lose planes really fast against current AA, so fast it's almost pointless. Even against a Gearing by itself you'll lose more planes than you can believe. CVs have a finite number of planes and have a slower re-arm rate than before the "patch" so unless you're careful you'll soon be reduced to launching 2plane "squadrons."

Only if you're incompetent, and blunder around straight into AA clouds or attack 3+ ships in a cluster.  It's quite simple to avoid losing planes in both cases.

Even still you obviously will lose planes. But again, the gap in effectiveness between the "OK",  "Good" and "Very Good" is huge.    CV do NOT have a finite number of planes. You can always launch a squad. This is slightly offset due to having only one squad active at a time.  While te rearm time is up somewhat, that's mostly irrelevant, because you can always quickly launch a squadron of some other type of plane. But you can still blunder about the entire game, take massive plane losses, and have effective attacks in the late game.  There's no danger of being coming combat ineffective like there was before.

Especially since they removed fighters from being any real factor in the game.

4. Most of the time, unless a DD is stupid, they are hard to spot and kill. DDs and CAs can go "stealth" in a way thats totally contrary to physics. For instance, many T8-T10 DDs have a spotting range of 2km or less by CV planes! How much sense does that make, that a plane is 1000m in the sky and has a harder time spotting a ship than another ship does?? That means you almost literally have to fly right over a DD to spot it (unless they are stupid and keep AA on). Then it goes back invisible, so you have to circle back to attack an empty area of ocean in the hopes you guess correctly where it went.

DDs are still quite easy to spot. Sure, the distance is low, but it's not 2km.  It's closer to 3km or more.   And who cares about reality. This is a video game, and everything doesn't mimic reality. 

At the speeds that planes move, it's easy to cover large amounts of ocean, making spotting sweeps simple. 

DDs are not really any harder to spot now than they were prior to the rework. 

And CV attacks against DDs are ludicrously more effective than before, not to mention that spotting them is both easier, and far longer duration than before, because even now, DD AA is pretty much completely ineffective (VERY few DDs have even mediocre AA). 

DDs suffer more in the current meta because it's far easier to spot them with fast sweeps, they have virtually no AA defense, and CV rocket and bomber planes are HIGHLY effective against the low-HP ships.  That makes it easy to remove the DD's main defense:  stealth.   And just being able to spot them removes any chance that they can be effective, since DDs live and die by not being spotted.  If you can easily determine where a DD is, your team can counter them easily.  

Oh, and effective blind shooting of rocket planes and bombers into smoke is now an order of magnitude simpler than before.

5. That's always true for any ship class. I'm a mediocre CV driver, but until this latest patch was happy I'd just earned my T10 USS Midway -- only to find I have less chance to do anything at that tier, and am better off just playing T6 CVs for now. Really frustrating.

Nope. The skill gap between "beginner" and "very good" in other ships is noticeable, but not anywhere near as consequential as it is for CVs.  That was one of the problems before the the rework, and was SUPPOSED to be something they were trying to address. They failed miserably.

The #1 indicator of which team wins is the skill of that side's CVs.  That is, for the most part, one player. No other ship type comes even close to that kind of impact.

6. Nope. Almost ZERO chance of repeat attacks against single targets if they have decent AA, because as you maneuver around for a second pass you're typically within the AA bubble and just die. So mostly you get only ONE high speed pass, and then hope to get to the next target or disengage before ya die.

Really, what are you doing?  Flying straight into AA clouds?  Unless they're in a superAA cruiser, full squads have no problem putting through 3 attacks.  DDs are especially vulnerable to 3 attacks, but BBs are as well.  You run out of the AA bubble of most ships quite fast, and, as long as you're not doing something dumb like actually trying to turn around right after you pass over, losses are low.

Not to mention that CVs now can retain full squads late into the game now (provided, again, you're not a naive, blundering about), and AA effectiveness drops off a cliff after about the 6 minute mark, as HE spam removes AA in droves.   I have no problem triple-striking things like an Atlanta in a T8 CV, I just don't do it until about the 7 minute mark.

Seriously, even after repeated AA buffs, it's quite easy to do 3 strikes per squad on anything but the toughest AA ship or cluster of ships.  If you're having problems, that's not indicative of the state of the game at all, but rather refusal to make basic adjustments to your playing style, which appears very naive.

Meh, so what? My CV is dead and I get one last attack with my maneuverable HE shells from the sky? If you're a decent DD driver those CV planes aren't much of a threat, nor against anyone else -- one last tag.

Are you even playing CVs?  Seriously?  Prior to the rework, a CV got one attack after it's ship had died, and you had to line up the attack BEFORE you died. While planes remained until they ran out of gas, they just circled, and you couldn't command them.

Now, you get to fly the squadron around until it runs out of gas.  You get 2+ minutes of effective play after your ship dies.  Sure, you only get a max of 3 attacks, but you can do a LOT of highly effective stuff in that 2+ minutes, especially since everything is such low HP that often single attacks are sufficient to kill. 

How many DDs at end-game have more HP left than the 3k damage that a good rocket plane attack can do IN ONE PASS, let alone 3?  It's not one last tag.  Its 120 seconds of spotting, plus 2 or 3 HIGHLY effective attacks possible.  Being able to scout the entire map after you've died is of insane usefulness, and you retain the ability to drastically alter the game outcome long after you died.

The amount of game effect a dead CV has is ludicrously zombie-like.

Here's my perspective. I have 1097 battles in CVs,  enjoy most ships and am the first to admit I'm a mediocre player. But 1097 battles teaches ya a few things about CVs and how to play them, and how to counter them.

Obviously, not very much, if you're still having that much problems, and not using the planes to their potential, as indicated by your comments.

CVs are really support ships not primary killers. Given how nasty AA is, CVs are really only scary to players who decide to run off all alone or to teams that do not maintain basic ship formations. 

As I pointed out above, even after repeated AA buffs, AA is NOT very nasty - it's merely potent at the very beginning of the game, when stuff is still heavily clumped together and everyone hasn't lost their AA to HE spam.  That situation changes VERY rapidly, to the point that AA is quite ineffective for most ships past the 7 minute mark.  Even in the beginning, CVs are hugely effective against DDs.   

Remember, this isn't just about direct attacks, this is about the change in meta.  Having a huge impact is more than just causing direct damage. 

CVs can scout and lay down buffs (fighter cover to protect allies and spot enemy DDs) and de-buffs on enemies. Most damage caused by CVs is minor (e.g. a typical aerial torpedo may only cause 3K damage), so most CV attacks cause damage stacks to help wear down ships for the team, and hoping for fires and floods on a target. Fires and floods are the biggest damage causers for a CV. Most CV kills are scavenging shots -- picking off wounded ships.

Torp damage has been nerf'd, certainly. However, rocket attacks are ludicrously powerful (given how easy it is to hit with them), and bombers remain VERY potent across all opponent types. 

CVs don't generally have 1-strike-kill capability. But that doesn't mean they're not highly effective at causing large amounts of damage, FAR more than they did before the rework.  That's because it's both damage-over-time, and because the success rate of individual attacks is VASTLY higher than it was before.  Rocket attacks hit upwards of 80% of the time. Bomber attacks are well over 60% hits.  While you do less damage per attack than before the rework, you now get 3 attacks in short timeframes, each with a relatively good chance of causing damage.   

Take a look at the stats:  CV damage per game is up significantly.

Not to mention that the way the meta has been altered by CV performance causes far more camping, lemming trains, less aggressive play, and heavily crippled an entire class's ability to do it's primary job.

So play smart. If you're a DD driver, turn OFF YOUR AA! They will make it very hard to spot you. Then if you are spotted, if you have good AA, sure, turn it on only during the attack -- but it's just as effective to keep your AA OFF and keep steering towards the planes, which reduces their reaction time on making the next pass. Works most of the time (btw, I have almost 3000 battles in DDs). 

That's long been known, and doesn't address the reasons why the CV rework made DDs far easier to spot and kill. 

For the most part it's really annoying to hear players with little to no CV experience so misrepresent the class. Now they are nerfed so bad, I think I'll let my shiny new Midway sit at dock and go back to playing DDs, BBs and maybe T6 CVs now and again.

For the most part, it's really annoying to hear players talk about how the CV rework hasn't really changed anything, that people who haven't bothered to actually learn how to play their CV spout off stuff that is easily disproved.

CVs have been nerfed from the 0.8.0 release, where they were god-like in power.  They're still by far the most impactful thing in a game, and the meta has been altered drastically in ways that DON'T improve the gameplay at all, as I pointed out.

The fundamental problem with the rework is that it solved NONE of the problems the old CVs had, and instead both introduced a bunch of new problems, and altered the meta game in a direction that severely negatively impacted the enjoyment of everyone.

Edited by LAnybody

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,526 posts
3,480 battles

so T8 AA and above is still strong as fuk? really? i think planes in that tier and higher need to have their standard armor and health buffed up higher to survive.