Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BallaTheFeared

I haven't played for about a year. Should I get a premium ship?

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
22 posts
871 battles

Came back because my son and his friend got into it. I hadn't played for awhile, long enough I think I lost some ships and got a bunch of free xp to buy new ships.

I have a Guilio Cesare but my passion is with American Carriers and Battleships. I must have picked it up over a year ago when it was considered OP.

 

lol sounds about right.

 

Any OP premium ships to relearn the game on that give more credits per game than a tier 5 premium?

The Missouri sounded like something I'd buy based on a loose google search, but that isn't an option. They have the George... Worth dropping $145 on something nobody seems to have any hype for at all?

Whats the best tier to buy into and push for American destroyer/carrier play?

 


Edit: To clarify I have a tier 5 premium battleship, is the tier 9 American battleship a better option than the tier 8 [edited] (Alabama) or the tier 8 carrier Enterprise?

Edited by BallaTheFeared

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,034
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles

With the low number of matches you have I suggest nothing above tier 5/6.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,252 posts
9,971 battles

You seriously have to ask? The Giulio is a great ship (pulled off as OP), so get over your bias and enjoy her. Or don't and follow your bias which has me wondering why you even asked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
22 posts
871 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

With the low number of matches you have I suggest nothing above tier 5/6.

Aye I suck for sure. Neither one of the tier 9 battleships sound like they're forgiving of bad play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
22 posts
871 battles
1 minute ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

You seriously have to ask? The Giulio is a great ship (pulled off as OP), so get over your bias and enjoy her. Or don't and follow your bias which has me wondering why you even asked?

Looking at it as I don't want to play tier 5 forever and if I go american premium I can transfer the crew is that not one of the benefits of faction based premium use?

 

Forgive me I don't even really get how you unlock new tiers I just play until it lets me. I thought premium enabled you to "tier up" or level up faster. With the benefit of crew transfers if your premium ship is the same faction.

 

That is where I am as far as trying to get another premium, American this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,366
[RBMK]
Beta Testers
3,806 posts
14,748 battles

short answer, no save your money

long answer, hell no don't spend a dime on this sinking pos game with all it's balance issues.

nice answer, I would suggest you save your money for a rainy day

Edited by CriMiNaL__
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,113
[PVE]
Members
7,600 posts

I'd suggest you be sure to play some games before you spend any money.  The game is undergoing a lot changes now, and there are more coming in the near future.  What I mean is the CV rework is an on going balancing act that impact all ships, and WG intendeds to add submarines to the game at some point, possible in not so distant future.  If play for a couple of weeks and like what you see, maybe then consider buying something.  Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,252 posts
9,971 battles

Yes buying a premium is a free pass into a higher tier if you have not gotten there yet.

I only play American BBs so ask around. But in my view you have an ace in the Giulio to get better, learn the ins and outs of BB play, and rack up free exp and credits doing so.

Fair Seas.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
22 posts
871 battles

There is the Alabama 

2 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

short answer, no save your money

long answer, hell no don't spend a dine on this sinking pos game with all it's balance issues.

nice answer, I would suggest you save your money for a rainy day

Without money there won't be a game to play, I'm ok with supporting these guys they've done a lot of hard work. I get the game isn't perfect and I also understand after twenty+ years of online gaming it will never be perfect. It just needs to be fun and my kid likes it so I want to get him a powerful American Premium ship to level up with while also supporting this company because they are providing something I can't get anywhere else.

Edited by BallaTheFeared

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,366
[RBMK]
Beta Testers
3,806 posts
14,748 battles
1 minute ago, BallaTheFeared said:

There is the Alabama 

Without money there won't be a game to play, I'm ok with supporting these guys they've done a lot of hard work. I get the game isn't perfect and I also understand after twenty+ years of online gaming it will never be perfect. It just needs to be fun and my kid likes it so I want to get him a powerful American Premium ship to level up with while also supporting this company because they are providing something I can't get anywhere else.

While I understand where your coming from, play in the higher tiers with a tech tree BB to see if you like how the game is before spending money to see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
22 posts
871 battles
1 minute ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Yes buying a premium is a free pass into a higher tier if you have not gotten there yet.

I only play American BBs so ask around. But in my view you have an ace in the Giulio to get better, learn the ins and outs of BB play, and rack up free exp and credits doing so.

Fair Seas.

 

I have a New Mexico and a Ranger. I also have the Nicholas. And then the GC premium.

 

I have no problem playing the GC, but I'd like to have an American Premium, nobody suggests the Enterprise and people seem to like the Alabama. Is the George a good ship? People seemed to really like the Missouri, saying it was the better version of the Iowa but I don't see the same praise for the George.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,196
[WORX]
Members
14,388 posts
20,956 battles

IF BB play is what you like, above tier 7, BB are over capable/over powered ships to grind in (especially RU BBs).

Tier 5 is probably where you'll see more diverse tactics because they where not nerfed to the ground...

Keep in mind tier 7 and below, BBs are reasonable. IF you want OP experience, RU BBs are right now the low skill players dream.

OR prepare for BB secondaries build ships when they're buffed to unbearable mode  soon.

The choice is yours since you dont like cruisers or DDs.

Edited by Navalpride33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,932
[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,634 posts
16,884 battles
3 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

While I understand where your coming from, play in the higher tiers with a tech tree BB to see if you like how the game is before spending money to see. 

I think this would be most prudent as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
22 posts
871 battles
2 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

IF BB play is what you like, above tier 7, BB are over capable/over powered ships to grind in (especially RU BBs).

Tier 5 is probably where you'll see more diverse tactics because they where not nerfed to the ground...

Keep in mind tier 7 and below, BBs are reasonable. IF you want OP experience, RU BBs are right now the low skill players dream.

The choice is yours since you dont like cruisers or DDs.

RU BBs wouldn't provide any kind of benefit over Italian BBs for an American tech tree player do they?

I already have a premium tier 5 Italian BB, was hoping to pick up an American Premium for the crew benefits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
22 posts
871 battles
4 minutes ago, pikohan said:

I think this would be most prudent as well.

If I'm tier 6 (New Mexico) in American BBs, how long would it take to grind out to tier 8 (North Carolina)?

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a tier 8 american BB or CV and then grind that while using the XP gained from it to level up my BBs and CVs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,280 posts
15,140 battles

I would do what Criminal says and first play a bit in the tiers you are interested. Just for a refresher and to see how the meta/what the game is currently like.

Both the Tier 9 Georgia and the Tier 8 (if available) Massachusetts are excellent, secondary spec'd ships. BUT you need a 19pt capt to take advantage of their unique strengths.

The Alabama, Ive always heard is a solid ship, but plays like your standard bow on battleship. But still performs well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,196
[WORX]
Members
14,388 posts
20,956 battles
1 minute ago, BallaTheFeared said:

RU BBs wouldn't provide any kind of benefit over Italian BBs for an American tech tree player do they?

Benefits are

  • Minimal aiming manage to get a citadel, RU BBs (the tech tree) on avg get one extra one extra citadel compared to other BBs in tier you face.
  • Strong Bow  then any other BBs in tier
  • PLUS Non-IFHE ships only deal fire DMG... Once you're Saturated, regular HE dont pen

Russian strong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
22 posts
871 battles
1 minute ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

I would do what Criminal says and first play a bit in the tiers you are interested. Just for a refresher and to see how the meta/what the game is currently like.

Both the Tier 9 Georgia and the Tier 8 (if available) Massachusetts are excellent, secondary spec'd ships. BUT you need a 19pt capt to take advantage of their unique strengths.

The Alabama, Ive always heard is a solid ship, but plays like your standard bow on battleship. But still performs well.

 

Bow on battleship is how i play the Giulio Cesare, it can pen well but I can't broadside in it or I get crit to oblivion.

The tier 8 Massachusetts is still in the shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
4 minutes ago, BallaTheFeared said:

If I'm tier 6 (New Mexico) in American BBs, how long would it take to grind out to tier 8 (North Carolina)?

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a tier 8 american BB or CV and then grind that while using the XP gained from it to level up my BBs and CVs?

T8 ships will put you in T10 matches a lot, and as an inexperienced player, it's gonna suck for you and you will have some frustrated teammates as well most likely. Get the T6 Arizona. It's a lot cheaper, a great ship, and will put you in matches that are are more forgiving for your skill level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
22 posts
871 battles
3 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

T8 ships will put you in T10 matches a lot, and as an inexperienced player, it's gonna suck for you and you will have some frustrated teammates as well most likely. Get the T6 Arizona. It's a lot cheaper, a great ship, and will put you in matches that are are more forgiving for your skill level.

Arizona is $31 and qualifies for my 20% off coupon code that I got for coming back I guess.

Does it play any different than Giulio Cesare? Do you get a lot more CVs in tier 6 vs tier 5 and how is it's AA?

 

Looking for a lot more CV involved gameplay where I can assist my allies with strong AA. That is one of the reasons I like the BB line and the American BB line specifically. The GC has meh AA, but at tier 5 I don't get a lot of double CV matches.

Edited by BallaTheFeared

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
Just now, BallaTheFeared said:

Arizona is $31 and qualifies for my 20% off coupon code that I got for coming back I guess.

Does it play any different than Giulio Cesare? Do you get a lot more CVs in tier 6 vs tier 5 and how is it's AA?

It plays like the new mexico. Arizona has pretty mediocre AA, but they just buffed AA, and carriers in mid tiers are pretty weak anyway. T5 and T6 get the same CV match making pretty much.

Also, the Giulo isn't a bow tanking BB, so you're not playing that ship to its full strengths if that's how you're going about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
22 posts
871 battles

BBs the way to go for grinding or DDs/CVs? I like BBs and CVs and DDs if I could not die they're amazingly fun to play if you can torp a big ol BB it's probably the most gratifying thing in the game. Haven't gotten into cruisers, probably mostly having to do with their middling playstyle of BB/DD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
22 posts
871 battles
2 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

It plays like the new mexico. Arizona has pretty mediocre AA, but they just buffed AA, and carriers in mid tiers are pretty weak anyway. T5 and T6 get the same CV match making pretty much.

Also, the Giulo isn't a bow tanking BB, so you're not playing that ship to its full strengths if that's how you're going about it.

Really? I was told to play it face forward and keep angled to my bow with the GC never exposing it to a broadside.


Seemed to work better tbh, because if I broadside I get citadeled constantly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Banned
1,678 posts
1,286 battles
19 minutes ago, BallaTheFeared said:

Really? I was told to play it face forward and keep angled to my bow with the GC never exposing it to a broadside.


Seemed to work better tbh, because if I broadside I get citadeled constantly. 

GC  only has 19mm bow armor so your bow is going to get overmatched anyway. GC is a fast BB for its tier, so you want to kite around and flank with it.

Edited by USS_Taylor_Swift

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
22 posts
871 battles
1 minute ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

GC  only has 19mm bow armor so your bow is going to get overmatched anyway. GC is a fast BB for its tier, so you want to kite around and flank with it.

So change speed and direction constantly while harassing?

Bow seems to provide considerably more protection than broadside. Should I bow in troll and retreat tail presented?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×