You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Seal-Potato Part 3: My (USS) Hill to Die On.

89 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
25,722 posts
19,815 battles

In which I lay out all the directives for this event in 0.8.5 and detail my strategy and progress as I work toward the premium US destroyer USS Hill. This first post will therefore have multiple amendments as I expand on my intended strategy, with subsequent posts detailing how it worked out in practice.

No, I am not even TRYING for the Benham.

So let's get started. Directive 1 is made up of ten missions, five each in routine play (Co-op, Random, Ranked and Operations/Scenarios) and five in the Savage Battles event mode. Some of the missions in each are quite onerous, and as you will see, there is an incentive to mix and match accordingly. As always, ships of Tier 5 and up are required. This directive has four days before the next one opens, so it's not like the long Cossack event where you had to do one a night; this is more on the timescale of the PEF event last Christmas. Mix and match any five of the ten.

Routine mode missions:

1) 342 Secondary Battery hits. Not surprisingly, my Scharnhorst was the go-to for this, in co-op. PEF and Lyon both had a crack, but I finally got one good co-op brawn in the Scharn which netted me 212 hits in that battle alone. COMPLETED.

2) 60,000 Commander XP. There's no doing this one in co-op unless you have plenty of flags or plenty of time, but I have ship grinds I want to get done so Randoms was the place to go for me anyway. As of Night 1, I was about 19K into it.

3) 25 cap-related ribbons; either share, cap solo, or defend. Defence ribbons are ridiculously easy to mine. Take a DD or smoke cruiser into co-op, park short of the cap and wait. As soon as the enemy ships come into it, start farming. Lather, rinse, repeat. I picked up a few of these getting the secondary battery task done, but most of the rest was done in my Anshan with the Gadjah Mada cleaning up the rest.  COMPLETED.

4) Make 4 million credits before service-cost deductions. Good co-op games can gross over 100,000 credits, and even a hard-fought randoms loss can bring in the money quite satisfactorily. I'm at about 1.3 million. How many Zulu and Wyvern flags do you have? This is the place to use them.

5) Do 3 million damage to enemy ships. It's what it says on the tin; need I say more? Co-op can be a good place to farm, as can operations.

Savage Battles missions:

1) Spot 75 torpedoes. This mode is torpedo soup. COMPLETED with ease.

2) Make 2 million credits before costs.

3) Score 80 torpedo hits, fires, floods or incapacitations. Just keep on playing.

4) Make 40,000 XP (ship, not base).

5) Sink 20 ships. (2 so far for me.) 

DIRECTIVE 2.

Routine mode missions.

1) Make 1000 main battery hits. Bring your best light cruiser or a rapid-fire destroyer and spam in co-op, thereby also working towards task 3 below and probably also chipping away at task 5.

2) Make 7 million credits before costs.

3) Win 13 battles (hello co-op) Obviously referencing the original 13 US Colonies.

4)Earn 80,000 XP (whoa, dude!) Then again, this is no more than three nights of play for anyone who routinely goes to the third container, so it's not so bad when you look at it in that context.

5) Score 200 of any of the following: Bomb, torpedo, rocket hits, or floods. Note that aerial torpedoes are NOT specifically demanded; ship torpedoes should work as well (we've had directives like this before). Obviously those with carriers have the advantage here; I'm grinding the Furious right now so this suits me nicely.

Savage Battle missions.

1) Win four battles.

2) Make 7000 FXP

3) Get 704 of any ribbon (4th of July)

4) Earn 70476 XP (4 July 1776)

5) Get 100 torpedo hits.

DIRECTIVE THREE - any five of the following:

Routine modes:

1) Make 20,000 FXP in destroyers. How's your stock of Ouroboros flags looking?

2) Make 20K FXP in cruisers

3) As above for battleships

4) As above for carriers.

5) Shoot down 100 aircraft. Call me cynical, but maybe now we know why bot CV's got held over to 8.6!

6) Tank 10 million potential damage.

Savage Battle missions:

1) Start 30 fires or floods.

2) Earn 3 million credits.

3) Get 30 spotted ribbons.

4) Earn 100,000 commander XP.

5) Get 250,000 damage by ramming. Be careful about how and when you do this, or your team-mates might be EXTREMELY pissed off at you. Ramming flags are mandatory, do it early when you are still full-health, and hope one of your team-mates can farm a heal consumable. I predict a lot of salt is going to flow here.

DIRECTIVE FOUR - doesn't say, but I am guessing any SIX of the following.

Routine modes:

1) Obtain 20,000 BASE XP in destroyers.

2) As above for cruisers.

3) As above for battleships.

5) Destroy 25 ships.

6) Accumulate 1776 of any ribbon.

One might be tempted to favour tasks 5 and 6 while completing any one of tasks 1 to 4, then dip into the Savage Battle mode for tasks 1, 3 and 5. Choose one of the event ships with manual guns.

Savage Battle mode:

1) Deal 300,000 damage.

2) Earn 20,000 Free XP

3) Tank 5 million potential damage.

4) Earn 100,000 XP.

5) Set FIFTY fires.

I'm going to be mulling over this over the next day or two, and I have my thoughts on the severity of the tasks. Long and the short - justifiable for a T9, probably way too much for the T5 that lies at the end of all this. I would encourage everyone to take the path of least resistance unless they have both the time and the energy for one HELL of a grind in one or the other mode exclusively.

All crates are given with the completion of a directive; there are no crates given for individual missions.

Remember that once a directive is unlocked, cash and various XP grinds in the previous directive's missions will continue to be worked on as you go, and this will give you the individual mission prizes along the way.

Good luck, everyone - this one is going to be uphill (pun intended) all the way.

ADDENDA:

1) As @Anonymous50 points out in another thread, credits and various forms of XP that you obtain in dailies count as combat profits toward directives. I was tired when I first typed all the directives up and missed that. Remember that on days whose dates end in 4 or 9, that ship XP is a dailies reward, so try to earn that in a ship you are currently grinding.

2) Remember that for obtaining the Hill, the aim of the game is to FINISH THE DIRECTIVES, and this does NOT mean finishing ALL the missions within them. This gets back to what I said about choosing the path of least resistance, knocking over the missions that are more easily within your reach, and leaving difficult earlier tasks that give desired rewards aside so that you can continue to work on them with later progress.

3) It may help to make a physical list, so that you can keep track of your progress and strike the missions off as you see them fulfilled in the end-game screen, and so that you can plan in quiet moments for the next one - thinking about what ship to use, what flags you might want to load, etc. Unlike the personal missions in the Russian BB event just past, here you know what you have to do before you start; take advantage of that and USE YOUR HEAD.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 7

[A-D-F]
Members
1,443 posts
20,470 battles

The routine ones for the most part if not all of them look easy to do using a combination of coop and scenarios. Don't forget to join us on the Discord and we can make it even easier for you. 

Edited by Lightninger

[USN]
Members
1,759 posts
22,054 battles

Why does it seem if you really want Hill and Benham, you have to grind like crazy, but then again, offering a T9 DD for free that also comes with a T10 level perma camo would have to be quite a grind, as I don't think it is a great idea to have many people running around in T9 ships after only playing for half an hour and their highest tier ship is Wickes before getting a T9 ship that they are not even close to being ready to play.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,722 posts
19,815 battles
9 hours ago, Lightninger said:

Don't forget to join us on the Discord and we can make it even easier for you. 

I'll certainly consider it, but part of the reason for even attempting this insanity is that it'll progress a bunch of grinds for me, and not all of them are eligible for the current group of Scenarios because they are either too low-tier (Pyotr Velikiy, New York), too high (Baltimore), or too stock with basic captains (Algerie).  I also think you meant "co-op" rather than "cool", so I think you need to have a few harsh words with your auto-correct.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
13 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Thanks for doing this.

I don't want a T5 premium that bad.

Yeah.  If the 3rd and/or 4th week require choosing between playing a CV or playing in Savage Battles... might as well stop worrying about the grind now. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
13 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:
Spoiler

In which I lay out all the directives for this event in 0.8.5 and detail my strategy and progress as I work toward the premium US destroyer USS Hill. This first post will therefore have multiple amendments as I expand on my intended strategy, with subsequent posts detailing how it worked out in practice.

So let's get started. Directive 1 is made up of ten missions, five each in routine play (Co-op, Random, Ranked and Operations/Scenarios) and five in the Savage Battles event mode. Some of the missions in each are quite onerous, and as you will see, there is an incentive to mix and match accordingly. As always, ships of Tier 5 and up are required. This directive has four days before the next one opens, so it's not like the long Cossack event where you had to do one a night; this is more on the timescale of the PEF event last Christmas. Mix and match any five of the ten.

Routine mode missions:

1) 342 Secondary Battery hits. Not surprisingly, my Scharnhorst was the go-to for this, in co-op. PEF and Lyon both had a crack, but I finally got one good co-op brawn in the Scharn which netted me 212 hits in that battle alone. COMPLETED.

2) 60,000 Commander XP. There's no doing this one in co-op unless you have plenty of flags or plenty of time, but I have ship grinds I want to get done so Randoms was the place to go for me anyway. As of Night 1, I was about 19K into it.

3) 25 cap-related ribbons; either share, cap solo, or defend. Defence ribbons are ridiculously easy to mine. Take a DD or smoke cruiser into co-op, park short of the cap and wait. As soon as the enemy ships come into it, start farming. Lather, rinse, repeat. I picked up a few of these getting the secondary battery task done, but most of the rest was done in my Anshan with the Gadjah Mada cleaning up the rest.  COMPLETED.

4) Make 4 million credits before service-cost deductions. Good co-op games can gross over 100,000 credits, and even a hard-fought randoms loss can bring in the money quite satisfactorily. I'm at about 1.3 million. How many Zulu and Wyvern flags do you have? This is the place to use them.

5) Do 3 million damage to enemy ships. It's what it says on the tin; need I say more? Co-op can be a good place to farm, as can operations.

Savage Battles missions:

3) Score 80 torpedo hits, fires, floods or incapacitations. Just keep on playing.

DIRECTIVE 2.

Routine mode missions.

1) Make 1000 main battery hits. Bring your best light cruiser or a rapid-fire destroyer and spam in co-op, thereby also working towards task 3 below and probably also chipping away at task 5.

3) Win 13 battles (hello co-op) Obviously referencing the original 13 US Colonies.

4)Earn 80,000 XP (whoa, dude!) Then again, this is no more than three nights of play for anyone who routinely goes to the third container, so it's not so bad when you look at it in that context.

5) Score 200 of any of the following: Bomb, torpedo, rocket hits, or floods. Note that aerial torpedoes are NOT specifically demanded; ship torpedoes should work as well (we've had directives like this before). Obviously those with carriers have the advantage here; I'm grinding the Furious right now so this suits me nicely.

Savage Battle missions.

1) Win four battles.

2) Make 7000 FXP

5) Get 100 torpedo hits.

Routine modes:

5) Shoot down 100 aircraft. Call me cynical, but maybe now we know why bot CV's got held over to 8.6!

Savage Battle missions:

3) Get 30 spoted ribbons.

5) Get 250,000 damage by ramming. Be careful about how and when you do this, or your team-mates might be EXTREMELY pissed off at you. I predict a lot of salt is going to flow here.

Routine modes:

5) Destroy 25 ships.

One might be tempted to favour tasks 5 and 6 while completing any one of tasks 1 to 4, then dip into the Savage Battle mode for tasks 1, 3 and 5. Choose one of the event ships with manual guns.

Savage Battle mode:

1) Deal 300,000 damage.

2) Earn 20,000 Free XP

4) Earn 100,000 XP.

5) Set FIFTY fires.

I'm going to be mulling over this over the next day or two, and I have my thoughts on the severity of the tasks. Long and the short - justifiable for a T9, probably way too much for the T5 that lies at the end of all this. I would encourage everyone to take the path of least resistance unless they have both the time and the energy for one HELL of a grind in one or the other mode exclusively.

All crates are given with the completion of a directive; there are no crates given for individual missions.

Remember that once a directive is unlocked, cash and various XP grinds in the previous directive's missions will autocomplete and give you the individual mission prizes along the way.

Good luck, everyone - this one is going to be uphill (pun intended) all the way.

ADDENDA:

1) As @Anonymous50 points out in another thread, credits and various forms of XP that you obtain in dailies count as combat profits toward directives. I was tired when I first typed all the directives up and missed that. Remember that on days whose dates end in 4 or 9, that ship XP is a dailies reward, so try to earn that in a ship you are currently grinding.

Thank you for creating this thread and digging this info up.  I hadn't noticed your post when I created my question thread.

Would be nice if someone from WG would answer regarding the number of missions required to complete week 4. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[ARGSY]
Members
25,722 posts
19,815 battles
9 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Thank you for creating this thread and digging this info up. 

You're welcome, though the real credit goes to @Kizarvexis for inspiring me to do it. He's on holiday at the moment and staying away from forum salt, so that mostly leaves me plus whoever else picks up on the juiciest clues to easier completion. He knows the technical details better; I'm more directed toward giving help, where I can, to the best way to get it done.

Also, by detailing my experiences along the way, I hope to keep newer players and those with lower win rates encouraged as they battle through it, trying to give them a sense that someone who ISN'T a Unicum is suffering along with them.

The problem is that having been in this game for nearly two years, I'm now approaching that level of detachment where I can start thinking "1000 main gun hits? No problem, I'll just sail out in the Minotaur or the Atlanta!", cold comfort to someone who was in my position in late 2017, only barely at T5 with no premiums at all. I try to keep the newbie FTP crowd in the forefront, but I'm worried that I'm losing my perspective. All I can advise is that they learn the lesson I did in failing North Cape: to try their hardest for as long as they can, but but recognise when to quit and shift efforts to diversifying their fleets to be better-prepared next time.

• Cool 2

Members
787 posts
8,661 battles

Is it true that Directive 2, 3 & 4 unlock on Mondays? In the past it was Thursdays, but this event ends on a Monday so maybe they shifted the schedule.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,722 posts
19,815 battles
Just now, Jester_of_War said:

Is it true that Directive 2, 3 & 4 unlock on Mondays? In the past it was Thursdays, but this event ends on a Monday so maybe they shifted the schedule.

I don't have the game open in front of me, so I'll have to confirm the unlock times and put them in tonight. I'm looking VERY carefully at directive drop times vs. grind requirements - Directive 1 won't be a problem for me, and maybe not Directive 2 - but we have some family travel planned, and if the other directives are as fierce as I am now worried they'll be, I might not be able to finish this. If that's the case, I'll be trying for as many crates as possible, waiting until the last day before the commanders-for-credits go away, and buying as many of them as I can. 32 million for the lot, assuming a perusal of my ship list and intended grinds does not indicate the need for duplicates.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You're welcome, though the real credit goes to @Kizarvexis for inspiring me to do it. He's on holiday at the moment and staying away from forum salt, so that mostly leaves me plus whoever else picks up on the juiciest clues to easier completion. He knows the technical details better; I'm more directed toward giving help, where I can, to the best way to get it done.

Also, by detailing my experiences along the way, I hope to keep newer players and those with lower win rates encouraged as they battle through it, trying to give them a sense that someone who ISN'T a Unicum is suffering along with them.

The problem is that having been in this game for nearly two years, I'm now approaching that level of detachment where I can start thinking "1000 main gun hits? No problem, I'll just sail out in the Minotaur or the Atlanta!", cold comfort to someone who was in my position in late 2017, only barely at T5 with no premiums at all. I try to keep the newbie FTP crowd in the forefront, but I'm worried that I'm losing my perspective. All I can advise is that they learn the lesson I did in failing North Cape: to try their hardest for as long as they can, but but recognise when to quit and shift efforts to diversifying their fleets to be better-prepared next time.

I know what you mean.  Having GK, both Tirpitzes, Bismarck, Scharnhorst, and Gneisenau in the fleet makes completing missions with seemingly huge secondary hit counts trivial compared to if I'd had to do it a couple years ago. 

Members
787 posts
8,661 battles
14 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Remember that once a directive is unlocked, cash and various XP grinds in the previous directive's missions will autocomplete and give you the individual mission prizes along the way.

What do you mean by "autocomplete"?

Is it just that the previous directive has lower targets so if you complete the later directive you de facto complete the previous directive?

Or is it something else?

Members
438 posts
202 battles
14 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Routine mode missions:

Savage Battles missions:

DIRECTIVE 2.

Routine mode missions.

Savage Battle missions.

1) Win four battles.

2) Make 7000 FXP

5) Get 100 torpedo hits.

Routine modes:

Savage Battle missions:

3) Get 30 spoted ribbons.

5) Get 250,000 damage by ramming. Be careful about how and when you do this, or your team-mates might be EXTREMELY pissed off at you. I predict a lot of salt is going to flow here.

Routine modes:

5) Destroy 25 ships.

Savage Battle mode:

1) Deal 300,000 damage.

2) Earn 20,000 Free XP

4) Earn 100,000 XP.

5) Set FIFTY fires.

ADDENDA:

Thanks for the breakdown.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,722 posts
19,815 battles
10 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

What do you mean by "autocomplete"?

What I meant is, say it's early in the event and you've got a choice of seven missions available in a directive that requires four. One has a container or a whole lot of Elite Cmdr XP or something else valuable behind it, but requires stupidly high levels of grind to achieve, while the others are easier and more reasonable. Clear the others, satisfy the directive and advance to the next.

However, even though that mission is no longer essential to your progress in the event as a whole, you are still working towards completing it, by earning damage or money or what have you. Provided it's early enough in the event, it will complete without further conscious effort or worry on your part, giving you the reward. You have effectively bought yourself extra time to do it by bypassing it altogether with other tasks and removing it as a roadblock to your progress.

This works best when there are lots of missions that ask for kills, hits, fires, etc., and good stuff locked behind all the earlier tasks. The current event is not as favourable to this strategy.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[PVE]
Members
20,171 posts
13,061 battles
57 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

52 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I don't have the game open in front of me, so I'll have to confirm the unlock times and put them in tonight. I'm looking VERY carefully at directive drop times vs. grind requirements - Directive 1 won't be a problem for me, and maybe not Directive 2 - but we have some family travel planned, and if the other directives are as fierce as I am now worried they'll be, I might not be able to finish this. If that's the case, I'll be trying for as many crates as possible, waiting until the last day before the commanders-for-credits go away, and buying as many of them as I can. 32 million for the lot, assuming a perusal of my ship list and intended grinds does not indicate the need for duplicates.

Yep, Directive II drops this Monday and the other 2 each Monday after that.

FYI, Daily Shipments started today.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
13,442 posts
12,906 battles
39 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Yep, Directive II drops this Monday and the other 2 each Monday after that.

FYI, Daily Shipments started today.

Looks like I picked the wrong week (Next) to go on vacation.

[TDG]
Members
1,853 posts
13,940 battles

I'm not sure I will have the time to complete some of the later Directives.

I am not currently playing CVs, and I would rather avoid Savage Battle.  A Tier 5 DD is just not worth much extra effort for me.

I will look at Commanders and see if I have any gaps that need filling, but I am disinclined to spend my limited credits on them.

[SALVO]
Members
26,766 posts
32,227 battles
10 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Yeah.  If the 3rd and/or 4th week require choosing between playing a CV or playing in Savage Battles... might as well stop worrying about the grind now. 

It may be difficult, Killjoy.  Looking at the tasks within each directive, if you refuse to play SBs, you're rather limited.  And those ship type tasks are pretty punishing, particularly the 20k FXP in the 3rd directive.  

Still, I suppose it all depends on how much you want to get the tier 9 Benham for free in this event.  If you really, really want it, you're kind of forced to suck it up.  I'm not really fond of this Savage Battles event, but I'm playing it regardless.  Luckily for me, I'm pretty decent in DDs and can occasionally div up with clan mates and get a bunch of wins.  And playing those directives earns you a good amount of Fuel Tokens, which you need to eventually get the Benham.

Anyways, it's your choice.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Important note for those who might be thrown by the display, something I was just reminded of myself.

The "To unlock the following Directive, complete X missions" thing subtracts the number of missions you've already completed from the number it tells you to complete. 

So don't be confused, it takes 5 missions done to unlock the 2nd Directive. 

shot-19_06.28_21_41.19-0817.thumb.jpg.692cb303e1adfe851fe07328b9a59d6d.jpg

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[ARGSY]
Members
25,722 posts
19,815 battles

Directive 1 - Pushed my Captain XP task to 47K/60K and the money task up to 3.41M/4M. Good work on damage also, but the money and captain XP tasks look like being the first to complete. Added about 4K XP on each of the Furious, the New York and the Bayern (Bayern might have been better but we had a battleship go AFK in Aegis and that made a big difference; might have got 5 stars if he'd been in the game).

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

It may be difficult, Killjoy.  Looking at the tasks within each directive, if you refuse to play SBs, you're rather limited.  And those ship type tasks are pretty punishing, particularly the 20k FXP in the 3rd directive.  

Still, I suppose it all depends on how much you want to get the tier 9 Benham for free in this event.  If you really, really want it, you're kind of forced to suck it up.  I'm not really fond of this Savage Battles event, but I'm playing it regardless.  Luckily for me, I'm pretty decent in DDs and can occasionally div up with clan mates and get a bunch of wins.  And playing those directives earns you a good amount of Fuel Tokens, which you need to eventually get the Benham.

Anyways, it's your choice.

The Benham is beyond my reach.

I would like the Hill, that's what I was going for -- but if the 3rd and 4th Directives require playing either Savage Battles or playing a CV, then I'm out of luck.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
25,722 posts
19,815 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The Benham is beyond my reach.

I would like the Hill, that's what I was going for -- but if the 3rd and 4th Directives require playing either Savage Battles or playing a CV, then I'm out of luck.

If you can't get either, grind silver and at least grab yourself some of the freakiest 10 point commanders on the planet. :Smile_teethhappy:

[SALVO]
Members
26,766 posts
32,227 battles
23 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Directive 1 - Pushed my Captain XP task to 47K/60K and the money task up to 3.41M/4M. Good work on damage also, but the money and captain XP tasks look like being the first to complete. Added about 4K XP on each of the Furious, the New York and the Bayern (Bayern might have been better but we had a battleship go AFK in Aegis and that made a big difference; might have got 5 stars if he'd been in the game).

Dude, Commander's XP is one of the easiest tasks to complete, particularly if you're grinding a line.  Just load up on all the signals that generate XP and Commander's XP.  And you can do 60k CXP in around 2-3 good battles (at least 2-3 good winning battles), in randoms.  Also pretty good in Operations.  Hey, you can do the same on other ships too, but it can seem like a waste of dragon signal flags on them (at least to me).

[WOLFG]
Members
13,442 posts
12,906 battles
30 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Important note for those who might be thrown by the display, something I was just reminded of myself.

The "To unlock the following Directive, complete X missions" thing subtracts the number of missions you've already completed from the number it tells you to complete. 

So don't be confused, it takes 5 missions done to unlock the 2nd Directive. 

shot-19_06.28_21_41.19-0817.thumb.jpg.692cb303e1adfe851fe07328b9a59d6d.jpg

Where do you find that display in game?

Nevermind.  Just found it.

Edited by DrHolmes52

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

Where do you find that display in game?

Click on the funky banner above the stack of "buttons" upper left with the Armory, Missions, etc.