18 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,200 posts
6,272 battles

In my opinion, it looks passable so far.  Is it going to be the most accurate thing possible?  I highly doubt it, especially since it is by Roland Emmerich.  Would it hopefully be somewhat entertaining and not a colossal mess?  I hope so, though I'm personally waiting for reviews to be published before making any firm judgements about seeing it.

I hope the best for this film because WW2 naval films are pretty rare anyways.  Maybe Wargaming can partner up with these guys, especially since the game already hosts a few of the participants in this battle (most notably Enterprise and Kaga).  More advertising can always help bring more players into this fun game.

To those who want some more historical context on the Battle of Midway, these videos below are pretty good for that.  They're also pretty exciting to boot:

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,358 posts
19,388 battles

I'm getting serious Pearl Harbor vibes.  Trailer has already shown 100% too much "lovey-dovey" in it...so yeah.  I'm not holding my breath. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
26,748 posts
32,188 battles
13 minutes ago, Volron said:

I'm getting serious Pearl Harbor vibes.  Trailer has already shown 100% too much "lovey-dovey" in it...so yeah.  I'm not holding my breath. :Smile_hiding:

Even the original Midway movie back in the 70's had some of those "lovey-dovey" moments in it.  Most movie makers find it hard not to include some of those moments in a movie because they fear otherwise the movie will have too much, well, testosterone and not have any appeal to female movie goers.

6,200 posts
6,272 battles
15 minutes ago, Volron said:

I should've mentioned that this is probably a remake of the 1976 Midway film, which also had a love story as a part of its plot.  It was between an American pilot and a Japanese-American girl.

To me, it looks a hair above Pearl Harbor, mostly because the titular battle was clearly using modern warships instead of interwar battleships.

6,200 posts
6,272 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Even the original Midway movie back in the 70's had some of those "lovey-dovey" moments in it.  Most movie makers find it hard not to include some of those moments in a movie because they fear otherwise the movie will have too much, well, testosterone and not have any appeal to female movie goers.

Well, they're trying to appeal to a wider audience than us naval nerds :Smile-_tongue:.

[RLGN]
Members
16,860 posts
29,545 battles

A bit confused here; this is a new Midway film, but there’s also a film called Dauntless? Which seems to be more about the Turkey Shoot?

6,200 posts
6,272 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

A bit confused here; this is a new Midway film, but there’s also a film called Dauntless? Which seems to be more about the Turkey Shoot?

I think so.  If anything, Dauntless look more low-budget than this film.  This one is probably meant to be a bigger blockbuster in terms of star power and overall money invested into it.

[SALVO]
Members
26,748 posts
32,188 battles
22 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

I think so.  If anything, Dauntless look more low-budget than this film.  This one is probably meant to be a bigger blockbuster in terms of star power and overall money invested into it.

I think the fact that Roland Emmerich is involved probably indicates that Midway is a big budget movie.

6,200 posts
6,272 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I think the fact that Roland Emmerich is involved probably indicates that Midway is a big budget movie.

That too.

Personally, I'm not expecting the cinematic equivalent of a five-star dinner with wine.  This is clearly going to be a burgers-and-fries affair.

I just hope it is at least executed half-decently and not go too far over the edge...

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,748 posts
32,188 battles
2 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

That too.

Personally, I'm not expecting the cinematic equivalent of a five-star dinner with wine.  This is clearly going to be a burgers-and-fries affair.

I just hope it is at least executed half-decently and not go too far over the edge...

I agree with that assessment.  

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,860 posts
29,545 battles
5 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

With some of the stuff in the trailer, it looks like there's a scene with T8's Waldron and Gay, but I can't find any credits that list Waldron and who his actor might be, if what I saw is correct.

Spoiler

Did see Bruno Gaido; who is known from episode one of USS Enterprise, Battle 360; whom I think is drowned by the Japanese after his capture at Midway.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,304 posts
6,280 battles
6 hours ago, Volron said:

I am too, but mostly because the trailer seems to be playing up the "US turns the tide against massive evil Japanese Navy!" and "We're the underdogs!" angles. Pearl Harbor had more than a few inaccuracies that were there to make the US come off looking better and Japan looking worse than what actually happened.

The other thing that bugs me is that if the subtitles were off and the sound muted I'd think this was the trailer for a movie ABOUT Pearl Harbor and the Doolittle Raid, the only thing that stands out as maybe having to do with a battle other than those two is that shot of the invasion fleet with Yamato at the center.

6,200 posts
6,272 battles
20 hours ago, Landsraad said:

I am too, but mostly because the trailer seems to be playing up the "US turns the tide against massive evil Japanese Navy!" and "We're the underdogs!" angles. Pearl Harbor had more than a few inaccuracies that were there to make the US come off looking better and Japan looking worse than what actually happened.

The other thing that bugs me is that if the subtitles were off and the sound muted I'd think this was the trailer for a movie ABOUT Pearl Harbor and the Doolittle Raid, the only thing that stands out as maybe having to do with a battle other than those two is that shot of the invasion fleet with Yamato at the center. 

The Yamato part does make sense within the context of Midway because she was the flagship of Admiral Yamamoto during the whole engagement.  Once everything screwed up, Yamamoto ordered the remaining ships to retreat and make for Kure.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,304 posts
6,280 battles
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

The Yamato part does make sense within the context of Midway because she was the flagship of Admiral Yamamoto during the whole engagement.  Once everything screwed up, Yamamoto ordered the remaining ships to retreat and make for Kure.

Right, that's what I was saying. I was saying that Yamato popping up was the only thing in the trailer that really made it look like a Midway movie as opposed to a Pearl Harbor/Doolittle Raid movie.

6,200 posts
6,272 battles
20 hours ago, Landsraad said:

Right, that's what I was saying. I was saying that Yamato popping up was the only thing in the trailer that really made it look like a Midway movie as opposed to a Pearl Harbor/Doolittle Raid movie.

Yeah.  I'm sure we're going to get another commercial for the film, so we'll hopefully see more Midway in the next round.

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,605 posts
7,195 battles

My detailed breakdown Twitter thread (click below). In short it doesn't look good, but there are some elements that are alright.

Edited by AdmiralPiett

[BB-57]
Members
532 posts
16,229 battles

Odin, please don't let them screw this up... I'm so tired of Hollyweird getting simple things wrong that would take mere minutes to research nowadays.

Guest Chicago Nick
0 posts

Like Japanese planes strafing a city street and a woman living in a house so close to the harbor that it looks like the battleships are in her backyard. For a history buff this doesn't look good.