Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Old_Baldy_One

Rogue Wave Tips

6 comments in this topic

[SOFOP]
Members
2,574 posts
16,194 battles

Some gameplay tips for those just getting into it.

• Stay together.  There is no friendly damage, so having 3 people shooting targets is a major advantage.  On the flip side, getting singled out 3v1 is a major problem.
  • Heals (the + sign on the map).  The heals are arguably the most valuable resource on the map.  The other consumables have their moments, but heals keep you in the game.
  • Consumables have special properties and refresh faster than normal.  Don't be afraid to use them.
  • Play the other ships.  It's easy to get super comfy with a particular ship, but it can be the difference of a win or loss, knowing whether the ship you are facing has a 20 second torp timer versus a 60.
  • Watch the borders.  The borders shrink, and they don't always shrink down to the same area.  You can easily get trapped in a spot that has no way out.
  • Don't be afraid to cross the borders if it means you stay alive!  You won't instantly die, so you can use that area.  Just don't stay too long.
  • Most of the ships can stop on a dime.  Use this to your advantage in dodging torps, and while shooting.  Just like in torpedo beats, lots of people are braking to avoid torps - counter this by sending a volley a little shorter than the reticle shows.
  • Watch where the enemy is going.  There are a ton of obstacles on the map and people have 100 things to watch for.  People are pulling "Notsers" often, and waiting for the to hit an island or predicting where they will can give you an easy kill.
  • Watch the consumables on the map.  You can get an idea of enemy locations by watching them vanish.
  • Take Radio Location.  It will help you greatly (not that there are so many skills available that this is a hard choice).
  • Cool 5

[TIRP]
Members
36 posts
6,386 battles

"No friendly damage"? So I can't torp a teammate? If so, that's great knowledge.

So, the strategy of splitting off to get a different consumable is probably not best, eh? Seems I've hardly been lasting long enough to make the consumables worthwhile. For instance, the smoke is of limited use against the spread of torpedoes from 2 different ships.

It does seem that the credits are decent ... even in quick exits. I was playing with Premium time, but it still seemed profitable.

Members
787 posts
8,661 battles
21 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Some gameplay tips for those just getting into it.

Great tips @Old_Baldy_One. I played probably 25 games yesterday and, though I am no unicum at this game, I think you covered pretty much all the bases.

I'll add two other things:

• The 2-star boats are better than the boats you start out with (and it looks like the 3-star are even better, though I haven't unlocked one yet). So even though you should play all the ships to be familiar with them, you should unlock the more powerful boats as soon as possible, if you want to win more.
  • Division up with other players -- especially skilled players. A few  times yesterday I asked strangers to form a division and it went quite well. After a particularly good game where I and my random teammates played well, I asked them, out of the blue, to Division up and we ended up being pretty formidable -- a 50% win rate in a game with an expected 25% win rate. Once I asked to join a Division of two and they brought me in and we cleaned up. Other times I just recruited individuals who had played well (3+ kills) and again we did quite well. Don't hesitate to invite good players to Division up or ask to join an existing 2-person division of skilled players.

That second point is one thing that is really great about Savage Battles: I ended up meeting 6 other people yesterday and having a good time playing several games with them. If that were the only result of Savage Battles, I would still call that a success: it led to more player interaction and comradery!

PS:  I was able to Division up without using voice chat. I just used typing. Just play some games, when you see a good player, after the battle send them a message from port saying "that was a good game, do you want to Division up?" and then use typing to coordinate in the game.

Edited by Jester_of_War
  • Cool 1

[SOFOP]
Members
2,574 posts
16,194 battles
46 minutes ago, BoomBoomBarney said:

So, the strategy of splitting off to get a different consumable is probably not best, eh?

Depends where you spawn.  If you can split up and grab heals quickly and then retreat back to your team, that works well at the beginning.  You just have to be careful to not run into another group (Radio Location works wonders).  

If you are super good at torpedo beats, you can probably push it a bit, but ultimately if you get outnumbered, you are gong to have a low chance of surviving.

Sign in to follow this