You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Pig_of_PIGs

Tactics & Maps

4 comments in this topic

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,315 posts
6,822 battles

Hi,
I am an average CV player, I play this game for fun.
I have noticed sometimes I do high scores, sometimes very bad ones.
Of course, Tier XIII Shokaku among TX AA is not the funniest game, but I got used to it, there is always something to spot, destroy.
I noticed the outcome of the battle is never related to the skills of a specific players, or at least this is quite unusual.
When there is absolutely no team play, the battle is lost. Even if at the beginning, skills of some players might make the difference, at the middle of the battle,  the ones who better positioned their ships will win.

A few questions,

1. Are there "generic" strategies? Grouped, not Grouped?
2. Different map, different strategy?
3. How ships can support each other? In my case, how CV can be a "game changer"? I am often request to spot, torp, bomb almost everywhere, even at the other side of the map...
4. There is no "leader" in the battles, every player does what he wants, some are only looking to maximize destruction. How this can be fixed?

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
7,014 battles

The CV WAS the game changer and the best at supporting the team. It can't do that now, at least not as efficiently as before. Using the fighter consumable is not the same either.

You either push to the enemy spawn or get pushed pass your spawn. Best thing you can try to do is make it a stalemate and hold the enemy at the mid-point of the map until one side breaks through assuming both sides are close to equal in strength. If the enemy is all on one side, that side needs to hold long enough for the other side to push towards enemy spawn.

• Push
  • Get pushed
  • Hold the line tile one side pushes through
  • Hold the line on one side and flank as fast as possible

If no one takes command, take command. If my BB allies don't wanna push, my Ryujo WILL push for them. You can't control other players but every so often you will find players willing to work together. Remember those moments and ignore the ones that don't listen.

This is what I used to do. Good luck replicating it with a single squadron.

Edited by Vangm94

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,961 posts
23,301 battles
32 minutes ago, franz_von_goltz said:

A few questions,

1. Are there "generic" strategies? Grouped, not Grouped?
2. Different map, different strategy?
3. How ships can support each other? In my case, how CV can be a "game changer"? I am often request to spot, torp, bomb almost everywhere, even at the other side of the map...
4. There is no "leader" in the battles, every player does what he wants, some are only looking to maximize destruction. How this can be fixed?

1. There are generic strategies that most players on the server know, and most of those strategies are quite bad. The lemming train is the worst, as it is easily LOS'ed, makes it easy to slop torp multiple ships, and cedes most of the points on any Domination map. Lemming trains only win if the other team is too dumb to kite them or push the weak side. For the record, the typical "AB"/"BC" strategy is also bad, because it lets the team at the B cap get surrounded and flanked.

2. Maps can affect strategies, but they affect tactics more.

3. You can try to support ships, but you may have more success supporting certain players. If a particular captain wants to throw his ship away doing something stupid, it's a waste of time to support him. If there's a player in a strong crossfiring position but who is being pushed out by a destroyer he can't spot and a CV that keeps striking him, drop him some fighters and spot the DD. You will have to rely on your own judgment to know which is which, because there's a good chance both of those players are going to ask for support -- the dummy because he doesn't know he's being dumb, and the player in the strong position because he knows he's in a strong position.

4. There is no leader, and it's a waste of time trying. It only works if you're in Clan Battles (organized group play) or people recognize you because you're a popular streamer or something. And even then, don't count on them to execute the plan well.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,397 posts
7,014 battles
25 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

1. There are generic strategies that most players on the server know, and most of those strategies are quite bad. The lemming train is the worst, as it is easily LOS'ed, makes it easy to slop torp multiple ships, and cedes most of the points on any Domination map. Lemming trains only win if the other team is too dumb to kite them or push the weak side. For the record, the typical "AB"/"BC" strategy is also bad, because it lets the team at the B cap get surrounded and flanked.

2. Maps can affect strategies, but they affect tactics more.

3. You can try to support ships, but you may have more success supporting certain players. If a particular captain wants to throw his ship away doing something stupid, it's a waste of time to support him. If there's a player in a strong crossfiring position but who is being pushed out by a destroyer he can't spot and a CV that keeps striking him, drop him some fighters and spot the DD. You will have to rely on your own judgment to know which is which, because there's a good chance both of those players are going to ask for support -- the dummy because he doesn't know he's being dumb, and the player in the strong position because he knows he's in a strong position.

4. There is no leader, and it's a waste of time trying. It only works if you're in Clan Battles (organized group play) or people recognize you because you're a popular streamer or something. And even then, don't count on them to execute the plan well.

1. Generally speaking, lemmings trains or taking the mid point can work... the issue is that once players get shot at they runaway...
  2. I don't know most of the map strategy but enemy intel can tell you what to do... issue is what the team does with that info...
  3. Some players will stick with you, some won't, at the very least two of us can die together while engaging the enemy while the rest of the team hides behind an island while the enemy surrounds them.
  4. If no one leads, take the lead. If no one listens, they you've done all you can do. Some players will work together, just gotta be lucky to get them.