You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review #127 - Yoshino

87 comments in this topic

0 posts
19 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

While Yoshino lacks the stealth of other Japanese cruisers, her game play isn't that far removed from them: 

•  

but good concealment among the tier 9/10 supercruisers, no?

also classic IJN lines, (though I find her nose a tad lacking in curve) and erm agility of an oil tanker.

for those who like Zao, (many of us) sounds like a nice alternative for random battles.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,001 posts
5,814 battles

Nice review LWM. Keep up the good work.

Personally I spent my coal, with coupon, last night on Georgia instead of Yoshino. I am convinced that nothing of value was lost. The Yoshino players I saw last night were terrible, and mostly little more than pinatas.

• Cool 2

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,325 posts
10,458 battles
5 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Nice review LWM. Keep up the good work.

Personally I spent my coal, with coupon, last night on Georgia instead of Yoshino. I am convinced that nothing of value was lost. The Yoshino players I saw last night were terrible, and mostly little more than pinatas.

You made the right decision.  Georgia is hands down better for the cost in coal. 

• Cool 12

[KWF]
Members
5,261 posts
6,659 battles

Thanks Miss Mouse for the review, though not really in the market for such a ship. I feel Atago can cover most of my needs anyway. 

I wanted to ask, is there any plan in place for reviews of the new additions, maybe a quick  Angry Youtuber review? I know there's loads of content and so little time, just curious.

1 minute ago, Lert said:

sK8nwVJ.gif

The day has dawned where someone has used a Black Books gif. Now my life is complete :cap_haloween:.

[WG-CC]
12,325 posts
10,458 battles
18 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

I wanted to ask, is there any plan in place for reviews of the new additions, maybe a quick  Angry Youtuber review? I know there's loads of content and so little time, just curious.

I'm too hopped up on cough medicine to be able to plan my day, never mind schedule content production at the moment (damn cold).  So not right now, no.

• Cool 4

[WOLF5]
Members
1,312 posts
10,158 battles

Great review, as always, and it was fun battling with you on Two Brothers the other night when you were in the Yoshino. Memorable Coop battle with a pre-release Yoshino and a Stalingrad....

Thanks!

0 posts

I have just bought her, and played one battle (using my Zao captain). First impression, she is anything but meh, those guns are sublime, the AP a terror from afar, the HE more than adequate, the AA sufficient to deter t8 cvs in random battles (no idea versus tier 10 air squadrons), but most important of all, she has very fine lines, cutting through waves purposefully and exudes confidence, (except that's a lie, as she is best sniping from range!).

not so much meh, as justfine. I enjoyed shouting in chat, JUST DODGE! as my AP shells slammed into 20 km distant targets with enjoyable precision.

• Cool 1

[BTLST]
Members
684 posts
10,742 battles

Another outstanding review going into my 3 ring binder of them.    Video reviews I tend to watch once, where your written reviews I pull and re-read them often to refresh my memory.    Perhaps, later on, I may add Yoshino to my fleet but right now I think I will pass on here, a shame as I was really strongly considering her.

[NASSA]
Members
48 posts
4,722 battles

Thank you for the review.

I bought the Yoshino last night. I've only played 2 games in her but she's served me splendidly so far, with those torpedoes killing a Kremlin and a pursuing Yamato to win a game. In any other non-torp cruiser I'd have been dead.

She feels very much like a super Atago. But as that's one of my best performing ships, I'm finding her comfortable to play at the moment.

Currently I play her as a long range sniper, sticking to 15-18km engagement range where her stealth allows her to disengage when needed and great angled hard hitting torps can be a life saver when you simply must push. I've found that with 16 sec reload (mod 3), 21km range and good ballistics and accuracy, i can use terain to hide for maximum effect. The shells are slow enough and engagement range long enough I can park behind islands while fast enough that I can reliably land 5-8k salvos every 16 seconds with regular fires.

Edited by SaltyMoonshine
  • Cool 1

[QC]
Members
65 posts

I have coal for Georgia and Yoshino. But there is a lots/some of high tier ship incomming. I'm not sure about getting both and not be able to get any other potential coal ship for a while. 

Anybody have any input on other delivery method for other tier 9-10 in development? 

Edited by Friederiz

[RCNW3]
Members
1,947 posts
20,454 battles

Bought her last night, had coal sitting around and a fresh new coupon (have all the other coal ships).  I agree with your review, can be fun, but it is amazing that any BB caliber shell that comes in your direction seems to result in a cit.  Having this, no need for an Azuma, so will see what the next free exp ship is.

Members
30 posts
12,529 battles

Thanks for the review!  I picked up Yoshino last night, and I'm excited to see what I can do with her.  I skipped on Azuma because I didn't think it was worth the FXP.

One small error I found:

Rare among the large cruisers, Azuma has a very powerful torpedo armament which adds to her flexibility.

[WG-CC]
12,325 posts
10,458 battles
13 minutes ago, TheOneBlackMage said:

Thanks for the review!  I picked up Yoshino last night, and I'm excited to see what I can do with her.  I skipped on Azuma because I didn't think it was worth the FXP.

One small error I found:

Thanks.  Correcting now.

[SRM]
Members
210 posts
18,311 battles

Excellent review and thank you for your time 

[GWG]
Beta Testers
20 posts
7,619 battles

Thank you once again for an excellent review! Going to buy her now based on your review. Hope you get better soon.

[BOTES]
Members
214 posts
11,579 battles

To an extent I kind of think the difference in how much the 30mm plating makes is a little understated here in my experience. In a vacuum it's not that big of a difference, but in practice I've bounced way more BB AP than I was expecting to at all so far in a pretty limited play time, quite literally every game since I got her it's been happening. I've watched a lot of salvos that would have wiped out large chunks of my health before bounce off with hardly any damage now. Being able to play without so much worry that I'm just going to get overmatched all the time filters a lot into how many options I have during a game, and it really makes the overall experience a lot more enjoyable. 

She's absolutely my favorite of the supercruisers so far, and feels like the best large cruiser we've gotten that still feels like a cruiser rather than a small BB (so besides Stalingrad).   

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles

GGjAXvW - Imgur.gif

Good review. Wish I could say the same about Yoshino herself but you saved a lot of people's coal reserves. Get well soon.

Edited by Wows_Nightly_News

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
2,086 posts
27,724 battles

Excellent review as always LWM.  Thanks.  :Smile_great:

Take lots of meds and feel better. 

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles
6 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I'm too hopped up on cough medicine to be able to plan my day, never mind schedule content production at the moment (damn cold).  So not right now, no.

Yah take it easy. What's being released right now would be a lot under the best health.

[A-D-F]
Members
2,114 posts
7,630 battles
9 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

That's exactly what I did.  Honestly, my choice was actually Georgia or wait for the next coal ship.  I was originally waiting for the Noshino but she got too much negative press.  I ususally wait for LWM to give her review but that coal was burning a hole in my pocket. 

No regrets on my decision.  LWM did have good things to say about Georgia.  I think she is an absolute wrecking machine.  Georgia is a blast!

[SFBBW]
[SFBBW]
Members
1 post
8,484 battles

THanks as always Mouse.

I (like many) really wanted Yoshino to be good. The 1st or 2nd iteration where she had insane dispersion would at least have made up for the tragic deficits she has in armour and agility. Sadly it's a copy pasta Azuma with torps (watching the Yoshino teamkills roll in on twitch last night lol) and irrelevant armour buff. The reload buff is ok, but nothing special. I'm just so underf*****gwhelmed. Will the Hayate be coal? Will WeeGee ever give us a great IJN Premium (Musashi aside - which I don't need cos Yamato).