You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_Marines

If I could travel back in time, these are the lessons I want to tell my old self

17 comments in this topic

[DOW]
Members
672 posts
3,943 battles

7.png.22c60a4ed152405417d5a0f7e9ee0b25.png

Coming from Navy Field II, I experimented with all types of ships, started with a sit-back-and-snipe playstyle, and moved towards damage focused and battleship focused. After 3 years, I finally received the elite battleship commander insignia today, and to me it is a milestone.

I made plenty of bad decisions in the past. If I could travel back in time, these are the lessons I want to tell my old self. I hope by sharing these, you could benefit too.

1. Before moving to a higher tier, check own stats and set a win rate, damage, or kill/death ratio target. This is not to stress yourself, but to keep the game enjoyable and not to get seal-clubbed by players much stronger. The players you face become substantially stronger every time you move to a higher tier.

2. Matchmaking Monitor is a critical addon to have. I set my calculation weights to be 0 0 0 (Avg XP:) 2 (Damage:) 3 and find this to be a better measurement of player skill. I also find that going the same side as the strongest allies (as opposed to going the other side) is a very good strategy, possibly due to Lanchester's square law. They don't sink easily and they make good decisions.

3. Proactively ask strong players to division up. Even if intending on saying no, most players would be flattered instead of hating you for asking. If you follow (1), you will be a strong player according to the stats, and a fixed percentage (about 10%) of players will division up with you. This is a numbers game. The more you ask, the more divisions you will find and more friends you will make. In Eve, there is the saying that no ship is stronger than friendship. It is the same here. With a division you will do much better.

4. In mid and high tiers, move down every tier for a consecutive loss and move back up for every net win. The wins and losses in Random Battles (PvP) are serial correlated, and my guess is that the Durbin-Watson "memory" is stored in each ship for the past 50 games. While many believe that switching ships is an effective way to reduce soul-crushing losing streaks, I think it's better if you (switch ship and) down-tier. It is possible that the Matchmaking algorithm is designed to control every player's impact on the outcome. Without it, we could see a lot of players with 80+% and 20-% win rates.

5. The primary objective of a battleship is to deal damage. While kill/death ratio, occupying a cap, and wasting destroyers' time are also things you can do very well, I find nothing can impact the outcome as much as dealing high damage. Here are my own stats regarding two Tier 10 battleships. I used cruiser-like kite and snipe tactics with Yamato and a secondary-build brawling tactics with Republique and the difference is significant.

9.thumb.png.bda5f81b85d52e19f2b3da9d61b922b9.png

6. Secondary build (AFT + MFCSA + IFHE) fundamentally transcends the performance of a Tier 7 or higher battleship. If a battleship can have a secondary build, build her that way. It makes the ship a much more capable brawler. I also find that secondary-build and brawling have also transcended my mentality as a player. It taught me how to pick brawls, at what range I should engage, and to keep at that range if I'm not trying to ram.

7. For new players, what you need the most is a high-level captain. While high-level captains don't do much for Tier 2-6 battleships, they are essential for many Tier 7-10 battleships. So it might be wise to keep only 1 captain for every nation and level them up, instead of spreading valuable captain experience across a bunch of low-level captains. You should level up unique captains first.

8. You can duplicate much of the performance of a strong player by shadowing him. I'm a firm believer that 90% of a player's performance (win rate, damage, kill/death, XP/battle, and avg frags) are explained by positioning of the ship. The rest 10% are explained by ship choice, target choice, aiming, captain level, ship configuration, etc. While watching videos and tutoring also help, you can simply find the strongest allied battleship, shadow his positioning (location, angle, and speed), and trying to understand why he moves that way. Your performance will improve as this will become a second nature.

Let me know your thoughts! I have come to find that battleships are the real fun class in this game because nothing can brawl like battleships and emerge victorious.:Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by _Marines
  • Cool 5

[WORX]
Members
5,030 posts
15,593 battles
7 minutes ago, _Marines said:

Let me know your thoughts! I have come to find that battleships are the real fun class in this game because nothing can brawl as well as battleships and emerge victorious.:Smile_veryhappy:

"Wold Of Battleships" since 2018, World Of Warships ceased to exist back in 2017...

If you cant beat em play em...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,056 posts
17,200 battles

Very good. I must toss out #2 though.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
11,240 posts
20,260 battles

If I could tell myself anything, it would be not to waste the time and money I spent on Tanks, because CC vids and ‘it looks neat, how hard can it really be?’

It would have been better spent at a bookstore, restaurant, or here in Warships.

I wish I could convert the value I have sitting in Tanks over to Warships, I’d do so in a heartbeat and never look back, nor regret doing so.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,335 posts
11,846 battles
33 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Very good. I must toss out #2 though.

MMM is actually best used in a postmortem fashion, "should my team and most important myself have done better against this team?".

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,056 posts
17,200 battles

@BrushWolf I can see that as a post battle critique tool.

Perhaps they will come up with and allow the use of one to pick our own team mates based on its ratings.

Like a choose up football team. 11 200 pounders vs 11 98 pound weaklings.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,413 posts
9,144 battles

Goal setting and realistic self analysis are crucial to improvement. I disagree on the MMM soley on moral grounds,  I'm against anything thats not readily available to everyone during a battle and the toxicity it can bring.

[DOW]
Members
672 posts
3,943 battles
56 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

If I could tell myself anything, it would be not to waste the time and money I spent on Tanks, because CC vids and ‘it looks neat, how hard can it really be?’

It would have been better spent at a bookstore, restaurant, or here in Warships.

I wish I could convert the value I have sitting in Tanks over to Warships, I’d do so in a heartbeat and never look back, nor regret doing so.

Is Tanks really such a bad game? If that's the case I'd better try Battlefield 1.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,401 posts
16,809 battles
37 minutes ago, _Marines said:

Is Tanks really such a bad game?

Yes. Killer toxicity in the player base.

[RLGN]
Members
11,240 posts
20,260 battles
40 minutes ago, _Marines said:

Is Tanks really such a bad game? If that's the case I'd better try Battlefield 1.

At its root? No, because it works.

For a new player trying to get in, trying to learn to play where instadeath nine ways to Sunday is common? (Sealclubbers with maxed out crews farming lower tiers for easy meat being one thing among others?)

For that? Yeah, Tanks sucks. I’d play Co-op if there was one, but PvP? Nope. Not any more.

Warships slower pace, (more or less,) means it’s easier to survive long enough to start learning.

1 minute ago, Umikami said:

Yes. Killer toxicity in the player base.

Pretty much why they killed cross-team chat.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,401 posts
16,809 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Pretty much why they killed cross-team chat.

And why I left over three years ago.

[DOW]
Members
672 posts
3,943 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

"Wold Of Battleships" since 2018, World Of Warships ceased to exist back in 2017...

If you cant beat em play em...

I find CAs and DDs much harder to play nowadays with stealthy BBs and all the radars.

Edited by _Marines

[WORX]
Members
5,030 posts
15,593 battles
3 minutes ago, _Marines said:

I find CAs and DDs much harder to play now with all these stealthy Russian BBs.

For only that reason ??? Here are some more

1. You need IFHE as a must in light cruisers now. If not you cant scratch the nose.
  2. Their is no such thing as angling thanks to the RU BBs
  3. RU BBs get 1 extra citadel hit per salvo then any other BB in its tier. With some BBs you can barely do 1 citadel.

RU BBs was a game changer, I now HAVE to spec IFHE on my cruisers. That is 4 cpt pts loss just over a paper BB class.

I was shaking my head in disappointment...

[DOW]
Members
672 posts
3,943 battles
2 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

For only that reason ??? Here are some more

1. You need IFHE as a must in light cruisers now. If not you cant scratch the nose.
  2. Their is no such thing as angling thanks to the RU BBs
  3. RU BBs get 1 extra citadel hit per salvo then any other BB in its tier. With some BBs you can barely do 1 citadel.

RU BBs was a game changer, I now HAVE to spec IFHE on my cruisers. That is 4 cpt pts loss just over a paper BB class.

I was shaking my head in disappointment...

Yes, yes, and yes. It used to be that you could at least survive by agility when kiting. Nowadays everyone knows your CA/DD is an xp pinata and it takes some supreme masochism to play these 2 classes.

[RLGN]
Members
11,240 posts
20,260 battles
56 minutes ago, _Marines said:

Yes, yes, and yes. It used to be that you could at least survive by agility when kiting. Nowadays everyone knows your CA/DD is an xp pinata and it takes some supreme masochism to play these 2 classes.

Not so much the destroyers. I make it a habit not to be seen, at all, including in games with carriers; and I don’t mean by running and hiding at A1 or something similar.

• Cool 1

Members
4,080 posts
9,031 battles
23 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I second that entirely!

Members
1,957 posts
10,395 battles

Hey

I would tell myself that I should have spent my money on something else other than WOWS since I'm getting less and less enjoyment from this game anymore.  Match making sucks, the shear numbers of over pens and ricochets for BB's is ridiculous and inconsistent,. the CV/aircraft rework is a cluster, like the nerf to concealment, loss of AFT for AA, loss of manual AA, and the over all feeling that ship AA sucks anymore, and I play BB's, cruisers and DD's.  Watching shells leave a ship that remains hidden from view even though there is no smoke, line of sight and yet you watch his shells leave the water (his ship) and then are times where some ships can fire 2-3 salvo's before you see them rendered; we were told their detection would be their max, gun range while firing, wrong, fix that garbage.  DD's should get extra reward for spotting and capping especially when they don't get assistance from the rest of their team, happens all the time.  Teams that literally seem to have no clue how to play an objective, much less support each other, but the one thing I do like is the ship models themselves, they are awesome.  Is it worth continuing?  I'm am doubting that it is for me, in the long run.

Pete

• Cool 1