You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Slimeball91

AA changes, and "0 damage" pen changes 0.8.5.

115 comments in this topic

[SBS]
Members
4,570 posts
2,408 battles

I sort of surprised no one is talking about this.  The "zero damage" pens, and the AA changes (where AA focuses all damage on one plane at a time) that were tested on the PTS are going live with 8.5.  Also minimum speed with boost for aircraft is being adjusted, and GZ gets some buffs.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-085-rogue-wave/

Update 0.8.5 brings updated mechanics for damage infliction to ships’ bulges, secondary battery and torpedo tube modules, and to the completely destroyed parts of a ship.

Now, when a shell penetrates a secondary battery module, a torpedo tube module, or a completely destroyed part of a ship, the dealt damage will be 10% of the maximum shell damage value. 100% of this damage can be restored using the Repair Party consumable. However, shells don't affect AA modules, and these can only be destroyed by explosions of HE shells, as before.

Have you ever received a "Penetration" ribbon for hitting an enemy ship's bulge, but the hit caused no damage to the enemy's HP? We are now introducing a new ribbon in order to avoid misleading our players. For penetrating a torpedo bulge without hitting the next layer of armor, a special ribbon will be given to a player—for shells, bombs, and rockets.

Previously, in Update 0.8.4, AA defense mounts inflicted permanent damage to a randomly selected aircraft in a squadron per a set frequency. This concept allowed ships to cause damage to the entire squadron. So, if the aircraft hovered over a ship too long, her AA defenses could shoot down most of them. However, if a squadron was flying over a ship for a short amount of time, there were situations when all the aircraft were damaged, but not a single plane was brought down.

To make the destruction of aircraft more consistent, AA defense mounts now inflict damage only to the last aircraft in the squadron. Thus, a player can be confident that their AA defenses are focused on a single target, shooting it down much quicker as a result. At the same time, most of a squadron’s aircraft will remain untouched during the attack, especially those in the attacking flight. The first planes in the squadron will receive damage only if a player is unable to avoid the shell explosions of AA defenses.

The minimum speed when using the Engine Boost for all Tier IV to X aircraft has been changed. Now the aircraft decelerate by 26.25 knots instead of 17.5. Attack aircraft, as well as Japanese and German aircraft, decelerate by 30 knots instead of 20.

The new Engine Boost parameters will help ensure the survivability of aircraft at the proper level, considering the changes to AA defenses introduced in the current and previous updates.

German Tier VIII aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin

Torpedo damage has increased from 4,533 to 5,333 HP.

Chance to cause flooding has increased from 25% to 29%.

Bomb normalization has improved by 5 degrees.

Edited by Slimeball91

[-BUI-]
Members
1,331 posts
3,445 battles

I'm super happy with the AA changes if it gets rid of the "reticle jump" when losing attack planes, that crap is hella annoying.

I'm curious how the Torpedo Group Heal is going to work now though, does it just heal that 1 plane and basically make you immune to damage for the duration?

• Cool 3

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,736 posts
15,454 battles

AFAIK, it will still be possible to get 0 damage pens if you hit a main battery.

[SBS]
Members
4,570 posts
2,408 battles
1 minute ago, Edgecase said:

AFAIK, it will still be possible to get 0 damage pens if you hit a main battery.

Yeah, I think you might be right.

[F3S]
[F3S]
Members
1,781 posts
3,577 battles
18 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

I'm super happy with the AA changes if it gets rid of the "reticle jump" when losing attack planes, that crap is hella annoying.

I'm curious how the Torpedo Group Heal is going to work now though, does it just heal that 1 plane and basically make you immune to damage for the duration?

It negates heal entirely.  Doesn't work fast enough to do any noticeable difference.  The only time it does anything is after a flak burst, if it doesn't kill all of the planes.  The braking isn't enough to change away from the 8.4 style of play I utilize.  CV mains are probably going to match the 'can't adapt' crowd in whine fests.  Maybe we'll get them on a 1:1 basis now?  

Can't wait for this mechanic to be applied to ships so our primary turret automatically takes all of the damage until it's destroyed, followed by the second and 3rd.  Surely they'd do it for "balance", right?  Only makes sense to arbitrarily attribute damage to a given module until destroyed. Be weary of any mechanic they apply that's ridiculous as they'll just as easily apply it to something you don't want them to.  This is WG after all, they don't slow their nerf sledge hammer until everyone is complaining. 

Edited by NoSoMo

[F3S]
[F3S]
Members
1,781 posts
3,577 battles
14 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I read it as basically changing the ribbon from zero damage pen to the new broke on the belt.
Have to play it to see if it still does it elsewhere.
Hope the "incapacitation" shows less / deals damage instead of  basically a worthless hit.

Edited by NoSoMo

[EGIRL]
Beta Testers
4,340 posts
13,110 battles

Changes in aa...

image.thumb.png.37b1cd3d565fabf379ec0df45de3dad0.png

• Boring 1

Members
23,232 posts
5,860 battles
32 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I sort of surprised no one is talking about this. 

Not too surprised as far as the removal of 0-damage hits.

We already explored it the last time they were going to do it.

But I'm in favour of it, now that they aren't including torpedo bulges.

I think it's a good change because, when you get hit, you mostly notice you lost a variable amount of HP, but when you hit somebody, you know how many hits did 0 damage, and it can be as frustrating as having your whole salvo tightly bracket the target without getting a hit.

Members
1,691 posts
8,495 battles
38 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

The no zero damage pens,

You can still get zero damage pens by hitting the torpedo bulges. There is even a ribbon for it now.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,693 posts
3,895 battles

I love how the pen change is almost the exact same thing that BB mains hated, but they love it now because the one thing that made it inconvenient for BBs was removed. Everyone else still eats more damage than before, but BBs don't have to now so it's okay.

I know some cruisers have torpedo bulkheads, but they're nowhere near as thick or extensive or widespread as battleship torpedo bulges.

• Confused 2
  • Boring 7

[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,502 battles
56 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

To make the destruction of aircraft more consistent, AA defense mounts now inflict damage only to the last aircraft in the squadron.

SORRY, should not the AA shoot at the FIRST plane in the attacking squadron?  Who shoots at the last plane.  This backwards.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
11,240 posts
20,260 battles
1 minute ago, SJ_Sailer said:

SORRY, should not the AA shoot at the FIRST plane in the attacking squadron?  Who shoots at the last plane.  This backwards.

Sergeant York.

In all seriousness, get rid of the reticle jump and it won’t matter which plane gets hit.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,736 posts
15,454 battles
4 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

If the game is going to artificially limit bombers so only 3 come at you at a time instead of a 12-plane alpha strike, you get to deal with artificially shooting down planes from the reserve first. It's mathematically no different than shooting down the first plane and having it be immediately replaced from the reserve, but it prevents camera jitter as the replacement planes come in every few seconds.

• Cool 3

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,843 posts
4,057 battles

AA change is likely to be substantial to some of the CVs...   Saipan comes to mind with its very small hanger loadouts.  In T10 matches I feel like this one will be rough for that CV in Particular.. may break it really?    May also be really bad on RN Cvs..   .  Tough planes and small capacity could be severely punished here as plane losses will become much more certain.    Glad to see they recognized how bad they killed the GZ in their last round of changes. 

[-BUI-]
Members
1,331 posts
3,445 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Sergeant York.

In all seriousness, get rid of the reticle jump and it won’t matter which plane gets hit.

I believe the reticle jump is a UI bug that can't really be fixed, so, this IS the fix.

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Members
1,752 posts
18,953 battles

Stuntman, one of the best CCs ever, does a really good job of showing AA working pre and post 8.5 with current values. Honestly, if the DPS of continuous damage isnt toned down they're going to effectively destroy carriers yet again. I know some people will say "good blah blah blah" but you have to remember that everytime the nerf hammer swings this hard the buff hammer retaliates just as hard. They'll buff Alpha damage or plane numbers in the end ... 

Edited by Skuggsja
  • Cool 6

Members
23,232 posts
5,860 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

I love how the pen change is almost the exact same thing that BB mains hated, but they love it now because the one thing that made it inconvenient for BBs was removed.

Well that, and it was completely stupid and made no sense whatsoever.

1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Everyone else still eats more damage than before, but BBs don't have to now so it's okay.

BBs certainly will eat more damage than before, everybody who's not a BB tends to shoot BBs in the superstructure, where most of a BB's secondaries are located. In contrast, BBs typically shoot for hulls.

And It really changes nothing in a relative sense, BBs aren't going to take damage from TDS hits, and CAs are. Just like it's always been. The only difference is that everybody is going to take damage from modules.

And bigger ships have more modules. How fair is that now, when you have to shoot BB superstructures to get damage, but a major chunk of that real estate is lined up with secondaries? I mean, cruisers have few secondaries to soak hits, and DDs have what, a couple torp launchers?

Members
1,231 posts
2,399 battles

Gotta wonder how this 0 damage change will effect brawling BBs?

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,458 posts
11,248 battles
57 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I was waiting till people realized it was happening.

I still don’t believe that people actually noticed this during gameplay. There’s too much going on to be concerned about the exact damage numbers vs ribbons given. This has to have been noticed while watching replays and making spreadsheets.

Members
23,232 posts
5,860 battles
16 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I think it's because the first planes are the attack wing. I don't know if focussing all the damage on the plane(s) with baked-in 50% damage reduction would be a good thing.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,458 posts
11,248 battles
3 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

you have to remember that everytime the nerf hammer swings this hard the buff hammer retaliates just as hard.

How many bridges have you purchased from Nigerian princes lately?

Members
23,232 posts
5,860 battles
4 minutes ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

Gotta wonder how this 0 damage change will effect brawling BBs?

I don't think much. At close range, (esp. if you're aiming at the waterline) your shells are all likely to hit the hull.

If we still had AP secondaries, those would be a bit more effective.

[LHG]
Members
1,633 posts
6,552 battles
8 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Sergeant York.

Incorrect, the Sergeant York would target the bathrooms onboard nearby ships instead of anything in the air.

IMO these changes just mean that pre-dropping is going to be way more prevalent. The change is in the right direction in that AA will actually shoot down planes, but I think it's going to stray further into the dichotomy of "AA deletes everything" vs "AA does nothing" and which ships would be in which camps.

• Funny 1