You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Edgecase

Coordinates inverted... why?

13 comments in this topic

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,763 posts
15,494 battles

Wia2wFk.png

As you can see in the 0.8.5 patch note screenshot, the lettering and numbering of the map will be inverted starting Wednesday. A1 used to be the upper-left corner and the grids counted up. Now the upper-left corner is J10, and they count down.

My question is, why is this being changed? I get moving the headers to the top and left so they're easier to read. But why flip the direction of counting?

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
21,733 posts
22,069 battles

Edge, it sounds like you turned on the option in your settings that flips the map around, depending on your location and facing.

The "Rotate Minimap" check box is under Settings->Controls, in the lower left corner.

Edited by Crucis
  • Confused 1

[OO7]
Members
5,269 posts
12,088 battles

That is a very good question. I thought that they only flipped where they were displayed. 

I would still prefer them on the bottom and RH side so less clutter in the middle of the screen with a larger mini map. 

But reversing the order is stupid. What are we, Hebrew??

Edit: yeah that map is just backwards. 

Edited by Ducky_shot

[O7]
Members
1,199 posts
14,517 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Edge, it sounds like you turned on the option in your settings that flips the map around, depending on your location and facing.

The "Rotate Minimap" check box is under Settings->Controls, in the lower left corner.

This is not a case of rotating minimap, you can see the map is in its normal orientation and Edge said that it was a screenshot from the patchnotes. I do hope that this is remedied because it is a switch that really doesn't make sense and will just inconvenience current players.

[SALVO]
Members
21,733 posts
22,069 battles
3 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

This is not a case of rotating minimap, you can see the map is in its normal orientation and Edge said that it was a screenshot from the patchnotes. I do hope that this is remedied because it is a switch that really doesn't make sense and will just inconvenience current players.

Keb, actually I think that you're in error here.  That's the New Dawn map, and the map itself as well as the grid  coordinates are completely rotated.  The NE area of New Dawn has fewer islands in its backfield than the SW area.  But if you look at the version of the map above, you'll see that the "fewer islands" backfield is in the SW of the above map.  That map is completely inverted, not just the grid coordinates.

Edited by Crucis

[O7]
Members
1,199 posts
14,517 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Keb, actually I think that you're in error here.  That's the New Dawn map, and the map itself as well as the grid  coordinates are completely rotated.  The NE area of New Dawn has fewer islands in its backfield than the SW area.  But if you look at the version of the map above, you'll see that the "fewer islands" backfield is in the SW of the above map.  That map is completely inverted, not just the grid coordinates.

I stand corrected, looks like WG is just one of maybe fifteen worldwide users who use rotating minimap in this game :D

[SALVO]
Members
21,733 posts
22,069 battles
Just now, Kebobstuzov said:

I stand corrected, looks like WG is just one of maybe fifteen worldwide users who use rotating minimap in this game :D

Keb, I will say that there's some sort of update related to minimaps in the upcoming update.  And it's possible that it might be bugged.  

Regardless, I never rotate the minimap.  It's too damned confusing looking at a rotated minimap and trying to figure out where I am and what map I'm really on, and that's a distraction I don't need.  I imagine that it's probably the same for a considerable majority of players.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,763 posts
15,494 battles

Is that what the rotate minimap feature does? I always thought it was like rotating minimaps in every other game on the planet, where it would freely rotate as you turned the camera (or at least your ship). Instead it... inverts the map so your spawn is at the bottom or something?

Needless to say, I have never used this feature, but if it means we're NOT getting some weird inverted coordinate system for 0.8.5, that's fine by me.

[O7]
Members
1,199 posts
14,517 battles
15 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Is that what the rotate minimap feature does? I always thought it was like rotating minimaps in every other game on the planet, where it would freely rotate as you turned the camera (or at least your ship). Instead it... inverts the map so your spawn is at the bottom or something?

Needless to say, I have never used this feature, but if it means we're NOT getting some weird inverted coordinate system for 0.8.5, that's fine by me.

Turn it on and do a donut sometime, it flips 90 degrees at a time lol

• Funny 1

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,698 posts
3,560 battles

Maybe the board game Battleship filed for copyright infringement:Smile_teethhappy:

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,763 posts
15,494 battles
2 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

Turn it on and do a donut sometime, it flips 90 degrees at a time lol

:dance_turtle:

[CRMSN]
Members
8,404 posts
9,011 battles

They are switching the letters and numbers, they showed it off a couple weeks ago. It really makes no sense.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,666 posts

yeah, neither the old or new system make sense ... 

I just say something like "DD upper right".  Close enough.