You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Skuggsja

Conclusion of Ranked

36 comments in this topic

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Members
1,752 posts
18,953 battles

Today brings about the last day of Ranked and tomorrow a new patch with Ranked Sprint coming. I wanted to share my thoughts and see how others felt about this last season just out of curiosity on everyone's feelings. Personally I'll be finishing out the season at Rank 5 with my best Rank being 4 with 3 stars.

Carriers in Ranked wasnt the apocalyptic event so many made it out to be. I played more games without a CV present than I did with them and had some decent success with my Daring topping out my as my best ship even with carriers present. I found being a "decent" carrier player was a good way to get into the single digit ranks. However, once I reached rank 6 or so teams seemed to be better about warding off CVs and playing as a team. I noticed a lot of higher caliber  play in countering my CV at ranks 6 through 4.

Rentals were a mixed bag. In the earlier, higher ranks I found a rental was often captianed by a player that didn't seem to have much experience.  At the later, lower ranks there seemed to be plenty of rentals in the hands of those simply trying out another Tier 10 they didn't own yet but with experience in Tier 10 battles. I honestly feel like rentals weren't a huge problem as players using their first Tier 10 ever seemed to fizzle out on the grind as it progressed. 

Battleships and Destroyers seemed to dominate ranked yet again, as the potential to deliver Dev Strikes or at least good damage seemed to be most important. Cruises and Carriers were present but I constantly ran into games with 1 or 2 cruisers per side with lopsided numbers of Battleships or Destroyers. I played multiple games where Battleships and Destroyers made up the majority of the team with 4 destroyers or even 5 battleships being the  main team composition.

Saving a Star was the same pain in the [edited]it's always been, when it becomes apparent team play isnt important but individual play is. Why push or move forward when you can sit back and farm? I felt a lot of games were lost due to two factors, lack of aggression and not understanding map positioning. I often found spawning as the Southern team on Sea of Fortune was a loss from the moment the map name was on screen. So many teams huddled to the south west of the A/B cap and provided no support in taking caps all the while one or two ships from the northwest could keep them occupied most of the match.

Overall, it was just another ranked season. It was rewarding and fun at times and at others it frustrating and meaningless.

So what your thought? How was you experience? Where are you finishing the season? GG to all and congrats to those who ranked out.

• Cool 4

[ARGSY]
Members
12,893 posts
8,245 battles

I played precisely two battles in this season, one in Minotaur and one in Salem, and was victorious in both. I got the Flag of the Second league and mounted it on most of my ships thereafter.

I stayed out because of the toxicity of the discussion. Everyone wanted unicums, or at least former Rank 1's on their teams? Fine. I'm not going to be the one who gets screamed at for losing battles for the teams; I had no time for that.

That being said, now that Jack Dunkirk's fully trained I'm going to put him in a rental Conqueror and try it out once, just so that I can experience 457 Conq on the live server before the Thunderer comes in and she reverts to the smaller calibre only.

[KSC]
Members
1,047 posts
4,577 battles
25 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

Today brings about the last day of Ranked and tomorrow a new patch with Ranked Sprint coming. I wanted to share my thoughts and see how others felt about this last season just out of curiosity on everyone's feelings. Personally I'll be finishing out the season at Rank 5 with my best Rank being 4 with 3 stars.

(1)Carriers in Ranked wasnt the apocalyptic event so many made it out to be. I played more games without a CV present than I did with them and had some decent success with my Daring topping out my as my best ship even with carriers present. I found being a "decent" carrier player was a good way to get into the single digit ranks. However, once I reached rank 6 or so teams seemed to be better about warding off CVs and playing as a team. I noticed a lot of higher caliber  play in countering my CV at ranks 6 through 4.

(2)Rentals were a mixed bag. In the earlier, higher ranks I found a rental was often captianed by a player that didn't seem to have much experience.  At the later, lower ranks there seemed to be plenty of rentals in the hands of those simply trying out another Tier 10 they didn't own yet but with experience in Tier 10 battles. I honestly feel like rentals weren't a huge problem as players using their first Tier 10 ever seemed to fizzle out on the grind as it progressed. 

(3)Battleships and Destroyers seemed to dominate ranked yet again, as the potential to deliver Dev Strikes or at least good damage seemed to be most important. Cruises and Carriers were present but I constantly ran into games with 1 or 2 cruisers per side with lopsided numbers of Battleships or Destroyers. I played multiple games where Battleships and Destroyers made up the majority of the team with 4 destroyers or even 5 battleships being the  main team composition.

(4)Saving a Star was the same pain in the [edited]it's always been, when it becomes apparent team play isnt important but individual play is. Why push or move forward when you can sit back and farm? I felt a lot of games were lost due to two factors, lack of aggression and not understanding map positioning. I often found spawning as the Southern team on Sea of Fortune was a loss from the moment the map name was on screen. So many teams huddled to the south west of the A/B cap and provided no support in taking caps all the while one or two ships from the northwest could keep them occupied most of the match.

Overall, it was just another ranked season. It was rewarding and fun at times and at others it frustrating and meaningless.

So what your thought? How was you experience? Where are you finishing the season? GG to all and congrats to those who ranked out.

1.  You didn't rank out fast enough.  Carriers were almost omni-present in ranked for the first 2-3 weeks, and they almost always saved their star if they were even semi-competent.  Out of the top 10 highest battle counts to rank out, 7 played CV with at least semi-regularity, while 5 played exclusively CV.  There is a major issue with the class.

2.  Most people were in 2 categories for rentals.  They either don't know how to play T10, and are just playing ranked with them, or they were trolling in the Conqueror.  If you don't own the ship, how can you possibly play it effectively in ranked?  

3.  Refer to point 1

4.  Those who prioritize winning will most likely save their star.  Saying that, the amount of XP that team play gives is not even remotely balanced, and should really be looked at.  Spotting and potential damage give laughable amounts of XP, and the XP modifiers for certain ships allow you to exploit the save-a-star mechanic.  For instance, the Yamato was easily my best ship for saving a star.  I had games where I did practically nothing, team got rolled, and I walked out with 1.3k base XP.  That very same game in the Kremlin would net me ~900 xp.  I had games with over 200k damage in the Kremlin that I didn't save my star.  

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
5,209 posts
12,037 battles
6 minutes ago, XpliCT_ said:

4.  Those who prioritize winning will most likely save their star.  Saying that, the amount of XP that team play gives is not even remotely balanced, and should really be looked at.  Spotting and potential damage give laughable amounts of XP, and the XP modifiers for certain ships allow you to exploit the save-a-star mechanic.  For instance, the Yamato was easily my best ship for saving a star.  I had games where I did practically nothing, team got rolled, and I walked out with 1.3k base XP.  That very same game in the Kremlin would net me ~900 xp.  I had games with over 200k damage in the Kremlin that I didn't save my star.  

I would agree when it comes to cruisers and battleships, not so much when it comes to destroyers. Playing cat and mouse on a cap and holding it down and perhaps holding a flank back but not being able to output damage as well when trying to keep the enemy guessing and staying stealthy and perhaps capping and recapping while stealthy are not conducive to saving a star when you end up losing on the other flank.

And I say that as a guy who has ranked out with playing primarily DD's 3 out of my 4 rank outs. 

There are some games you are doing all you can to keep your team in it and just aren't able to put out damage. And cap xp is junk in a loss

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
8,008 posts
14,639 battles

I played 7 battles, I don't know why. I have never liked ranked and never will while it remains a flawed mode. I can think of many titles for the mode and Ranked isn't on the list. The only time I really play it, is when I can grind ships in it and then it's nothing but salt, because I am not using ships that people think are Ranked capable ships.

[KSC]
Members
1,047 posts
4,577 battles
4 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I would agree when it comes to cruisers and battleships, not so much when it comes to destroyers. Playing cat and mouse on a cap and holding it down and perhaps holding a flank back but not being able to output damage as well when trying to keep the enemy guessing and staying stealthy and perhaps capping and recapping while stealthy are not conducive to saving a star when you end up losing on the other flank.

And I say that as a guy who has ranked out with playing primarily DD's 3 out of my 4 rank outs. 

There are some games you are doing all you can to keep your team in it and just aren't able to put out damage. And cap xp is junk in a loss

That's what I was referencing when I said that team play is just not balanced.  Spotting damage, cap contest time and cap XP doesn't actually nearly enough, if at all, to your base XP.  You could basically solo hold a flank as a DD and walk away with 500 base XP in a loss, despite your best efforts.  

[PHASE]
Members
4,709 posts
16,143 battles

Do it early or don't do it. Comically I started playing ranked last week and the quality of players had me scratching my head only because I had smashed it to the key board so many times. Players with 500 games were still rank 10...think about that.....

At one point I lost 11 in a row but only lost 3 stars.

I tip my hat to those that have the skill, smarts or fortitude to rank out. I know I lack the mental fortitude, if I could stop nerd raging at others, I probably could do it. As Willie Dixon says:

If you got a weak brain and a narrow mind
The world gonna leave you way behind
Your friends will deceive you, leave you cryin'
Can't keep yours 'cause you are watchin' mine

[HYDRO]
Members
3,560 posts
5,062 battles
7 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

This pretty much. The game will reward the Conq or Yamato or CV that farmed damage and also has the survivability to stay alive longer. 

On the other hand a DD that gets a bit of damage in, helps with caps and spotting will get f*** all. Similarly a Cruiser that helps with strategic consumable use or providing AA cover. Both play for the objective, both get shafted by a damage reliant XP system.

I don't know how the next season will be like, but WG has to rethink how XP will work.

• Cool 1

[EGIRL]
Beta Testers
4,340 posts
13,110 battles

10 (or 11) time rank 1.... this ranked was:

Carriers - Meh, was ok, just bit annoying when i was in a DD, and i cant carry with a cv (i miss rts so much)

Rentals - HATE it.

BBs and DDs - Nothing new, this 'meta' is never going change, i just see a lot cruisers after play 2 matches with cvs (because everyone run to an AA ship) then i change to BB to kill the cruisers and the cruisers disapears after 2 matches... meh.

Saving star still bad for the game.

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
517 posts

Got to rank Fifteen earned what steel I could . Eventually will have enough for the Flint . But I'm a very very patient person . Got the flag commemorating the event and called it quits . I'll wait till next season and do it all over again. Farm what I can in steel and hope I have enough to get a ship I thought I'd never be able to aquier.

Time will tell.

[-TKS-]
Members
630 posts
9,721 battles

I play ranked because in general i find the game play better than randoms , however Carriers made ranked a train wreck with only 6 ships . A good Cv captain can have a huge impact on games not only with damage but with spotting  while a bad cv captain was nothing but a loss of dpm and points. Heck even i took a Hak out once..... 

Cv's got so bad when i saw them in que i would change ships . thats just stupid if you think about it . 

Saving a star and irrevocable ranks are bad imo . 

[UEFN]
Members
970 posts
17,538 battles

12th is the worst season hands down, glad i was still able to ranked out though.

[OO7]
Members
5,209 posts
12,037 battles
2 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

Do it early or don't do it. Comically I started playing ranked last week and the quality of players had me scratching my head only because I had smashed it to the key board so many times. Players with 500 games were still rank 10...think about that.....

At one point I lost 11 in a row but only lost 3 stars.

I tip my hat to those that have the skill, smarts or fortitude to rank out. I know I lack the mental fortitude, if I could stop nerd raging at others, I probably could do it. As Willie Dixon says:

If you got a weak brain and a narrow mind
The world gonna leave you way behind
Your friends will deceive you, leave you cryin'
Can't keep yours 'cause you are watchin' mine

I always rank out the last week. All 4 times. 

[PHASE]
Members
4,709 posts
16,143 battles
28 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I always rank out the last week. All 4 times. 

I don't believe you I saw you in the 6-10 bracket 4 weeks ago.

[OO7]
Members
5,209 posts
12,037 battles
5 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

I don't believe you I saw you in the 6-10 bracket 4 weeks ago.

Yeah, that was 6-10 bracket 4 weeks ago. I don't push through premier league until the last half of the season and go through the last ranks the last week

Members
116 posts
5,870 battles

This has been hard.  This was my first ranked season where I tried.  204 games (and exactly 50% wr) later, I only got to rank 8, and I started from 12 (I think) because I got a rank last season.

My only T10 ship is the Z-52, so that's what I played in all 204 games.  I got a kraken once.  But overall, the feeling of hopelessness and helplessness dominated.  I got to R9 in 20 games or so.  Then spent the next 140 games yoyo'ing between R9 and R12.  Finally clawed my way to R8 in the past few days.

I've neglected my wife and son and I have nothing much to show for :(

[187]
Members
1,609 posts
8,839 battles
29 minutes ago, slider37 said:

I've neglected my wife and son and I have nothing much to show for :(

You need to get your priorities straight. 

Members
116 posts
5,870 battles

They were the reason why I only played 204 games through this season.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,664 posts
2 hours ago, Versili said:

Got to rank Fifteen earned what steel I could . Eventually will have enough for the Flint . But I'm a very very patient person . Got the flag commemorating the event and called it quits . I'll wait till next season and do it all over again. Farm what I can in steel and hope I have enough to get a ship I thought I'd never be able to aquier.

Time will tell.

I just started acquiring steel in December and am over halfway to having enough for Flint.  It can take time, but it is doable.

Remember, in the old system you had to Rank Out 3 times to get the Flint.  Hating Ranked as I do, I would have never gotten it before the change.

• Cool 1

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
517 posts
41 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

I just started acquiring steel in December and am over halfway to having enough for Flint.  It can take time, but it is doable.

Remember, in the old system you had to Rank Out 3 times to get the Flint.  Hating Ranked as I do, I would have never gotten it before the change.

I hear you, that's a plus for sure .It will take time but eventually I will be able to get her  Don't really care if she becomes a port queen or an OPs ship, I will have that choice I can make . Good thing is we can eventually get her . Bit by bit.

Cheers and GL m8

o>

• Cool 1

[AXANR]
Members
151 posts
3,133 battles

Nope, this was maybe the worse Ranked for me.

It started good, I fizzled at rank 9...dropped back to 12, then made it again at 9 dropped back to 12...back to 10  and back to 12...etc etc...finished at 12....and only because it is irrevocable...the numebr of losses I experienced I would have been back to 16 or worse...and by that time got disinterested a few days before the ending of the season.

I think Rentals introduced this Yo Yo at Mid ranks...and the rest if luck. If your Lucky to be MM with a few good individuals to form a good team you had the opportunity to advance to lower ranks, if not and bad luck...you got stuck and pushed back...

The save star, personally I play ranked for the  supposedly better Team aspect, and I do not aim to get the save star, I aim to play in a way to win a star.

But it seems like allot of people are playing to save a star and that creates a problem....overall.. 

I feel like the last season was much better and enjoyable. With the Buff Objectives etc. Also I feel that Rentals would have been better in that Mode rather than the mode of Ranked in this season.

Conclusions:

My opinion is that Ranked is not at a good state at this point and need a serious look in to it and some changes.

I would prefer a better system for the Save Star (as constructively suggested in many other threads about Ranked during the season), or no save star at all, to foster better team oriented and win a star oriented spirit and play.

I would prefer a better system if rentals are to stay in Ranked too. More irrevocable ranks needed, probably every 2 ranks till rank 4 or 3...

Alternatively, move rentals for other modes of play Random/Mission/Training etc...

That is it, for me Ranked is a preferred mode and I always make more time for the game during Ranked Seasons, I played most and since the First Season. But this time it was the less fun of any.

Other than this I play the game casually for progression of ship lines mainly and to change of pace (I play other games too), unwind with a couple of battles here and there etc.

Edited by Suraknar
typos

[R-F]
[R-F]
Members
549 posts
23,500 battles

Ranked out #1. This time took me 242 rounds. Should have taken less than 200. 

Carriers weren't a huge issue for me.  My problem was rental ships and people that don't understand when a CV is in the game you need to stay near other ships so you don't get singled out by the entire enemy team or their carrier or both. 

I am now enjoying my Neustramshimy.

Please accept my sincere apologies if I dumped any salt on you since some nights I was laying so much salt on the road I needed to leave to get a drink and a resupply. And if you were one of the few who decided to tell my clan members what a terrible person I am. Thank you. It helped give me more street cred about being a fast typing online tough guy. 

See you all next season!

<3 Pelican <3

• Cool 1

[BUOY]
Members
394 posts
10,163 battles

My goal was R6 and I got to that goal in 67 games (starting R12). I've tried to rank out but never made it because the Premiere League might as well be called the Sav-A-Star League where as soon as things turn south (and you're ALWAYS put on the team with the DD / CA that yolo's and dies), the players on your team who've already lost hundreds of games but have never dropped below R5 stop trying the least bit to win and instead solely focus on saving that star!

Not that that attitude isn't also present from 10-6, but players just aren't as good at playing so toxically as they are from 5-1.

As for rentals, they were... pretty hideous from 12-9, when I was able to afford the Burgoogleplex and learned that it takes a 150k+ damage, 2-3 early-mid game kills, AND surviving 1.5-2mil potential damage performance to make up for MM putting 3-4 sub 45% WR players on my team while stacking the red team with 50%+ WR players for half a dozen games in a row. 

The funny thing was that once the Baguettemax clicked with me, I actually started getting more compliments than reports (even on losses!) such that I'm in the strange position of having more karma than when I'd started.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,816 posts
10,204 battles

I'm not on my computer atm but my problem with ranked was the abundance of people in rentals that had no experience with t10 or that class of ship: cost allot of people those games. The dispersion penalty for having camo really adds up, rentals were substantially easier to hit and farm and kill most of the early game 9/10.

Annother problem  was when you got to rank 7, mm started packing teams with one side having higher ranking players and the other team low ranking players. Especially in non CV battles this lead to the lower ranoed players turtling hard as they had little to know idea how to deal with players that didn't turn off their chat and knew the difference between a lemming train and an exicution.

This was most prominent for me at ranked 7 where half a dozen tikea i made it to 3 stars only to loose the last match for one or a combination of thee above factors; almost all of them evolved lopsided teams. 

Of all my ranked battles I rarely seen rental ships ever on the winning team or top of the team. rentals should have bever been allowed or given their own game mode.

Every time I was about to reach ranked 6, a erie tentacle seemed to reach up and hold deny my victory no matter what or how ive done. 

The CVs back in ranked were fun, and really helped teams lacking dpm machines and radar. When there was a CV on my team i loved seeing Shimakazes on the enemy team, but when there was no CV, torpedo DDs ruled without sue process or mercy regardless of hydro or radar; and if there was none? God help your team.

Overall, this last seaaon of ranked was fun would have been perfect if not for the stacked teams and the rental ones. I tried my best but now, my fingers hurt iland its probably time i clean my keyboard...