AdmiralThunder

PSA: Economy changes incoming with update 8.5

33 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
9,307 posts
16,524 battles

I am posting this here in the Co-op forum as it will have a much greater impact on those of us who main this mode than it will for those in PVP. WG has decided to do quite the overhaul to credit and XP earnings on a lot of ships. Some nerfs and some buffs. I personally do not like it that WG is making some ships earn more/less than others of the same tier/type. It's wrong but hey, that's WG for you. This will impact me quite harshly as many of my most played ships gets the -% treatment here. Hard enough to earn in Co-op without getting an economic nerf. They have a formula to determine what you earn; stick with it. This individual difference for ships is stupid.

Here is the list...

Note - not sure if it actually means something I am not grasping OR if it is the usual poor translation from Russian to English? They are saying the average amount of credits or XP earned per battle. How do you +/- an average? I am assuming here it is just a straight up +/- change but who the hell knows? 

+5% Credits:

• Gneisenau
  • Bismarck
  • Friedrich der Große
  • Großer Kurfurst
  • Emerald
  • Shchors
  • Dmitri Donskoi
  • Moskva
  • Admiral Hipper
  • Roon
  • Hindenburg
  • Umikaze
  • Wakatake
  • Isokaze
  • Mahan
  • Benson
  • G-101
  • V-170
  • T-22
  • Z-23
  • Z-52
  • Longjiang
  • Phra Ruang
  • YueYang

+10% Credits:

• Orlan
  • Black Swan
  • Chengan

-5% Credits:

• Alsace
  • Republique
  • Orion
  • Lion
  • Conqueror
  • Tenryū
  • Kuma
  • Leander
  • Fiji
  • Duguay-Trouin
  • Émile Bertin
  • Charles Martel
  • Saint-Louis
  • Henri IV
  • Sampson
  • Nicholas
  • Grozovoi
  • Valkyrie
  • Shenyang

-10% Credits:

• Eire
  • Hashidate

+5% XP:

• Bayern
  • Gneisenau
  • Bismarck
  • Friedrich der Große
  • Großer Kurfurst
  • Orlan
  • Black Swan
  • Chengan
  • Shchors
  • Longjiang
  • YueYang
  • G-101
  • Z-52
  • Isokaze

-5% XP:

• Normandie
  • Lyon
  • Richelieu
  • Alsace
  • Republique
  • Orion
  • Lion
  • Conqueror
  • Bougainville
  • Tenryū
  • Kuma
  • Sampson
  • Nicholas
  • Podvoisky
  • Gnevny

-10% XP:

• Eire
  • Hashidate

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-085-rogue-wave/#economics

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2

[HYDRO]
Members
3,559 posts
5,062 battles

My guess is it's just a change in their XP/Credit earning modifiers that leads to these results.

[WOLF8]
Members
5,136 posts
4,927 battles

Hooray, a lot of German ships are getting a buff... albeit tiny, lol. :Smile_teethhappy:

Well, not that it looks to be too impactful. Only thing I gain is slightly shortened grind on my FdG, lel. :Smile_hiding:

[SAA]
Members
197 posts
3,826 battles
42 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

My guess is it's just a change in their XP/Credit earning modifiers that leads to these results.

Not sure what you mean by modifiers.... The nature of programming is everything is built around lines of code and formulae.  Every ship has a formula.  Like Thunder I gotta wonder why there is a need to monkey with it.

Especially ships like Fiji which already earn squat and Republique that even with the premium perm camo still loses money if you have an average game, or Alsace which I have been in the black in coop maybe like twice.  Of course the key phrase is "in Coop".  Coop players aren't even secondary in their thoughts... Ops is what I care about, but when I have had a chance to ask questions (streaming QA sessions) to those at WG in the know about coop or ops, they have ignored the questions and concentrated on the CV dead horse questions.... and I wasn't the only one asking....

But I digress ...

Let's get back to playing Mad Max with DD's

BTW - Thanks for PSA Thunder

Edited by YouSatInGum

[SAA]
Members
197 posts
3,826 battles
12 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Hooray, a lot of German ships are getting a buff... albeit tiny, lol. :Smile_teethhappy:

Well, not that it looks to be too impactful. Only thing I gain is slightly shortened grind on my FdG, lel. :Smile_hiding:

If they are screwing with German ships, why not the Hipper.  It's grind is ridiculous since the AA build is not an option but part of the core grind. 

[HYDRO]
Members
3,559 posts
5,062 battles
5 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

Not sure what you mean by modifiers.... The nature of programming is everything is built around lines of code and formulae.  Every ship has a formula.  Like Thunder I gotta wonder why there is a need to monkey with it.

Especially ships like Fiji which already earn squat and Republique that even with the premium perm camo still loses money if you have an average game, or Alsace which I have been in the black in coop maybe like twice.  Of course the key phrase is "in Coop".  Coop players aren't even secondary in their thoughts... Ops is what I care about, but when I have had a chance to ask questions (streaming QA sessions) to those at WG in the know about coop or ops, they have ignored the questions and concentrated on the CV dead horse questions.... and I wasn't the only one asking....

But I digress ...

I can't speak for coding etc, I can't say I have relevant knowledge on the subject.

What I know from some ocassions is that WG at times, after completing the earnings formula is able to add positive or negative modifiers to earnings/XP. Sims is such a case, earning more XP than normal.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,893 posts
8,245 battles

A 5% credit nerf is 5000 credits on a 100K match. How often is this the difference between a marginally profitable game and a loss? 

The 10% credit nerf almost doesn't matter, because it's for ships that have no repair bills to meet and which most people are out of in very few battles. Why some of the others should be buffed, I do not know.

WG works in mysterious ways... :Smile_sceptic:

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
7,515 posts

None of this makes any sense, just another sign of WG heading down the rabbithole and up their own backside.

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
5,977 posts
3,841 battles

Finally the Black Swan starts getting some love.

I always thought I was cleaning up in my Tenryu.

• Funny 3

[PTRGT]
Members
334 posts
32,843 battles

it would be nice if they could explain why the changed with some examples of what the differences would be before and after with real numbers so those of us who no longer do math can have an idea how its going to effect us....

[PVE]
Members
971 posts
30,990 battles
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

A 5% credit nerf is 5000 credits on a 100K match. How often is this the difference between a marginally profitable game and a loss? 

After time 5k will add up.

10 games  -50k     20 games  -100k

To some players that is a lot of credits.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,499 posts
6,884 battles
8 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

On 100k credits without modifiers it would cover the cost of a tier 8 servicing in pvp mode or up to tier 9 in co op assuming there are no premium consumables or credit camos and ammunition costs.

With all the modifiers (premium time, camos, flags, etc.) 100k should cover everything except for tier 10 carriers as long as no premium consumables, credit camos, and excessive ammunition are not used.

A 5k credit loss won't change a thing in profitability until you start using premium consumables and/or credit camos along with adding in ammo costs.

[CO-OP]
Members
322 posts
17,765 battles

The SOBs, they touched my Fiji!

[VN]
Members
142 posts
2,929 battles

I rather see them do something else at wargaming, like give Aoba it's badly needed turret rotation speed buff, so you don't have to sail  in a straight line to much of the time to keep on target.
For that matter Aoba could use a XP buff too, it takes forever to grind out of that ship.

Edited by Ericmopar

[USCC]
Members
2,499 posts
10,607 battles

I had no idea the Eire and Hashidate were over performing so badly, that actual nerf's were required so's not to break WeeGee's bank. :Smile_sceptic:

But I AM happy they buffed the Black Swan! that 10% extra credits is a game changer!

Sorry GK! gotta park ya in port big guy with your measly +5% credit buff, gunna roll me some serious coin in my Black Swan now. :Smile_veryhappy:

• Funny 1

[USCC]
Members
2,499 posts
10,607 battles
25 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I don't get why they're doing this to begin with.

download.jpg.8d25b5c7240ef6c101967497c93d15b2.jpg

Because KNOWING what to fix requires one to actually play the game. :fish_palm:

[A-O]
Members
681 posts
6,764 battles
16 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Finally the Black Swan starts getting some love.

I always thought I was cleaning up in my Tenryu.

I like my Black Swan. Play her when I am in a bad mood. She puts a smile on my face.

Now if we could get Operations for T1 then I'd really be grinning all night :-)

[A-O]
Members
681 posts
6,764 battles
11 hours ago, Ericmopar said:

I rather see them do something else at wargaming, like give Aoba it's badly needed turret rotation speed buff, so you don't have to sail  in a straight line to much of the time to keep on target.
For that matter Aoba could use a XP buff too, it takes forever to grind out of that ship.

What Aoba needs is an additional layer of cardboard glued the side of her hull. Would easily double her armor and survival chances.

• Funny 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
7,515 posts
8 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

No one does.  it's just pointless, aimless number-crunching that has nothing to do with what's going on in the actual game. 

[PVE]
Members
9,307 posts
16,524 battles
9 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

22 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

No one does.  it's just pointless, aimless number-crunching that has nothing to do with what's going on in the actual game. 

Exactly. It makes NO sense at all.

Maybe this is WG's new way of "balancing" things. IF a ship under or overperforms rather than correct it's abilities let's just nerf or buff crdits and XP instead to make grinds easier or harder. The lazy man's approach.

[WOLFG]
Members
5,977 posts
3,841 battles

I get that maybe the economy of some ships is more or less "fair" than others (talking non premium).

I even get that it is probably easier to run the numbers on all the ships.

But isn't there someone at the home office with a red pen that can draw a line that ignores ships below a certain tier because it just looks silly to mess with them?

[KAPPA]
Members
880 posts
6,043 battles

What I find funny is that pretty much all of the ships that got an earnings buff are on my IJN/Axis account, which is sitting on a mountain of about 82 million credits and has nearly all relevant lines ground out. Meanwhile on my USN/Allies account, which seems to have all the boats that got earnings nerfed, I have right around 12 million credits (often less) and exactly one finished line (USN BBs). Strictly speaking this merely shows that I seem to favor IJN and German ships and therefore play that account more often (plus I had been favoring it with premium time the last few times I bought any), but man, this could hurt that USN account slowly over time especially that Lion grind I've been working on relatively recently (and need to get back to once I'm done with the AL collection on the IJN account).

Edited by CaptHarlock_222

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,152 posts
9,437 battles

WG has always been secretive in WoWS about credit costs for operating ships. It's rather baffling, because in WoT, they literally tell you the cost of everything, even the price per shell.

Way back when, around the time WoWS (supposedly) came out of Open Beta, someone posted a thread on the forums. They had data mined the credit costs for each ship in the game - price per shell and torpedo, and basic rate for figuring total repair cost.

That thread wasn't up 2 hours, before someone completely removed all traces of it from the forums. It's like they didn't want the playerbase to know they were being charged credits every time they fired their guns or launched a torp.

[4HIM]
Members
2,463 posts
7,915 battles
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:45 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Probably to get people to use more flags to compensate for the ones that got nerfed.  

Or.....who knows.  Spreadsheets something something.