You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Abcsam

People hitting in smoke

34 comments in this topic

Members
201 posts
5,749 battles

So i play DDi know its a dead class gg but when was it cool for people to just hit you over and over again in your own smoke with nothing spotting you??? Is there a new hack again???? 

• Funny 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2
  • Angry 2

[HYDRO]
Members
3,560 posts
5,062 battles

if you are firing in smoke a trained eye can trace your location relatively well. Ships with sufficiently high Rof can saturate areas where they think you may be. Just one hit and the resulting explosion you can see can then help in getting more shots your way.

• Cool 2

Members
1,182 posts
5,156 battles

As @warheart1992 said, it is not a hack, but the fact that some players are just very good at watching where the shots are coming from in the smoke and sending return fire to that area. It is something a lot of us had to learn to do before there was radar in the game.

• Cool 3

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,245 posts
19,617 battles

If you're spamming shells from smoke, it gives people a general idea where you're at.

In addition, some people will pop Spotter Plane as it changes the view to a bit more elevated one, and lets picking a specific spot to fire on easier.  I've seen good BB drivers use this trick to hammer Cruisers thinking they were safe in smoke.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Beta Testers
118 posts
15,814 battles
1 hour ago, Abcsam said:

So i play DDi know its a dead class gg but when was it cool for people to just hit you over and over again in your own smoke with nothing spotting you??? Is there a new hack again???? 

It's a hack called Mad Skillz.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,637 battles
1 hour ago, ChronicallyChronic said:

It's a hack called Mad Skillz.

That hacks fill of malware.  Use the Mk I Eyeball hack instead.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
1,783 posts
8,653 battles
3 hours ago, Abcsam said:

I get hit in smoke all the time if I shoot.  I do it to others as well, so I know the drill.  If you haven't moved around when laying smoke, the smaller smoke cloud can also give your position away which can lead to you being targeted more accurately. 

Smoke is to be used as an escape, not a means of sitting and shooting others with impunity.  Expect some sort of retaliation if you use smoke as a cover for shooting others.

[SIM]
Members
3,839 posts
6,404 battles

No hacks, you're just getting outplayed by people who are paying attention to where your rapid fire shell spam is coming from in the smoke cloud. If you want safety, do a bit of sailing back and forth in your cloud, or only spam fire when your enemy has an easier target to pay attention to.

• Cool 1

-Members-
1,640 posts
785 battles
3 hours ago, Abcsam said:

Hey Abcsam,

First of all, DDs are not a dead class =). Second there are a few ways to be detected in smoke: hydro, radar and assured detection. Did you happen to notice if any of these were popping up? 

When it comes to other players hitting you in smoke there are a few reasons this can happen:

• Smoke is not a shield that will protect you from enemy shells/torpedoes.
  • If you are firing out of smoke, experienced players will see this and have learned to hit targets in the smoke. 
  • If a ship with a high rate of fire is shooting at you they can spam the smoke with shells and hit you.
  • There is a "x" on your mini-map that some players have become adept at aiming with when a target goes undetected.

These are just some of the reasons why you might have been hit in smoke. Remember, some of our players have thousands of games under their belt and have learned the proper technique to shoot into smoke.

Tips:

• Keep moving in your smoke while you shoot, this makes it harder for enemies to pick up where the shots originated from.
  • Make sure you are not sitting broadside in your smoke (this is a great torpedo target).
  • You don't always have to be shooting when you are in smoke, you can stop, re position and start firing again.
  • Always be aware of what ships are around you!

Hopefully this helps a little bit in understanding how players are hitting you in smoke, but when it comes to hacks/cheats we do take that seriously.

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[REVY]
Members
1,521 posts
9,578 battles
7 hours ago, Abcsam said:

6 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

if you are firing in smoke a trained eye can trace your location relatively well. Ships with sufficiently high Rof can saturate areas where they think you may be. Just one hit and the resulting explosion you can see can then help in getting more shots your way.

^^pretty much this

In addition, if a CV has aircraft flying over head, the CV driver can also figure out where you are based on your muzzle blasts as well as the AA tracers.

[DENY]
Members
446 posts
8,323 battles
8 hours ago, Abcsam said:

People are getting really good at blind firing. When you fire from smoke, your approximate position can be determined and better players can punish you with blind fire, especially if you are not moving. Even if you don't fire, really good player can guess at your position and hit you in smoke.

[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
798 posts
2,705 battles
9 hours ago, daVinci761st said:

As @warheart1992 said, it is not a hack, but the fact that some players have a brain are just very good at watching where the shots are coming from and send return fire to that area. It is something a lot of us had to learn to do before there was radar in the game.

Fixed it for you.

[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
798 posts
2,705 battles
2 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

^^pretty much this

In addition, if a CV has aircraft flying over head, the CV driver can also figure out where you are based on your muzzle blasts as well as the AA tracers.

No, you cannot tell where a ship is in smoke by AA tracers. The AA tracers are specifically designed to come from random spots in the smoke because during testing it was too easy for the carriers to zone in on ships in smoke shooting AA.

[NFE]
Members
283 posts
3,013 battles

One more thing: If I fire torps into smoke, I will watch them as they enter the smoke, and if they don't hit, I will fire in between the torp path, figuring the DD is bow-on in that lane.

• Cool 2

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
869 posts
7,119 battles
6 minutes ago, GoaJim said:

I will fire in between the torp path, figuring the DD is bow-on in that lane

ohhh. good one. 

[SYN]
Members
897 posts
8,435 battles
13 hours ago, Kami said:

Make sure you are not sitting broadside in your smoke (this is a great torpedo target)

Hey kami, don't let that secret get too far.

[VETSN]
Members
650 posts
5,491 battles

I was 5km away from an almost dead Harugumo in a Ranked game and fired 3 full salvos from a Montana and missed every one.  Next game, same thing happened, fired one salvo and killed the Hargu...  RNG is a B****

Edited by BarneyStyle

[WPP1]
[WPP1]
Beta Testers
727 posts
4,683 battles
18 hours ago, Abcsam said:

Today's new hack is called "paying attention". 

• Funny 1

[WOLFG]
Members
262 posts
2,076 battles
19 hours ago, Abcsam said:

As others have stated, it's fairly trivial to fire into smoke and hit a DD that is firing out of the smoke and sitting stationary. Always be moving in your smoke, and turning, and still using WASD, so that you aren't where your shots came from when the return fire comes.

Personally, I like to lay smoke and then fire from behind it, not in it, because it's more difficult to tell where the shots are originating in that case. Most return fire lands in the smoke in that case, well short of me.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,868 posts
11,787 battles

People often forget smoke are not shellproof nor torpsproof.

Because you're hiding inside / behind a smoke doesn't means you can't shoot the target .

[TDRB]
Members
2,980 posts
8,958 battles
20 hours ago, Abcsam said:

No hack, just learning how to fight DD's. Some players are very good at hitting DD's in smoke

[A-CUP]
Members
1,017 posts
8,111 battles

Golden rule of a DD: Never stay in your smoke for long.

Back to the topic.. With a little practice you can shoot ships in smoke by just seeing the tracer of the shell coming from the ship

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
929 posts
7,697 battles

Hitting ships in smoke is actually pretty easy....in ships with a high rate of fire it's extremely easy, particularly if you're capping or near a map feature that helps gauge distance. Unless you have a high level of map awareness you should not be sitting in your smoke because all you did was ring the dinner bell.

Members
201 posts
5,749 battles

Thats ok they found the hack and its fixed your all welcome cheers