You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Wows_Nightly_News

So how is Irian?

10 comments in this topic

Members
1,691 posts
8,495 battles

Sorry in advance for wasting a prime chance to give the Pan Asian cruisers folder some attention. So I decided against picking up Irian when it first game out. I managed to snag the alternate Lo Yang and Anshan camos and decided to call it there. But now Irian is back sans purchasing gimmick. I have Kutuzov and I like Kutuzov.

So how is the smokeless deep water slinging version for those that have her. Would you say she's worth it? How do you think she'll do in the tier 8 clan wars? The fact that I really don't have much experience playing against Irian and its one of the ships that kinda mystifies me tell me what the answers are going be like, but I'm curious what people say.

Edited by Wows_Nightly_News

[-FOX-]
Beta Testers
58 posts
2,573 battles

As A Co-op player I do enjoy her, the Deep water torps are only Semi Deep water as they can hit cruisers.

Those torps are have 13 odd Km range and a reload boost on them I tend to play it as the large DD Version of the sisters, and with that event Camo it looks epic.

What you gain with the torps you lose with the guns.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,752 posts
18,180 battles

Irian by far one of my favorite ships.  Plays great whether top tier or bottom tier.  The deep water torps are useful and surprise opponents.  I also have Kutuzov but frankly the smoke gets me in trouble.  Irian you just always keep moving.  Besides, it's a great place to park my 19 Pt YY Captain since I don't play her anymore.

I believe the Irian is number 2 on the T8 cruiser board but that may have as much to do with the few her bought her...

Edited by Warped_1

Members
2,436 posts
10,179 battles

I play it at least once each day I play. 

It's at least a fun boat to me. Different than the usual cruisers I play. 

Members
183 posts
14,980 battles

It's a great ship have had a lot of fun playing only down fall for me is I am normally bottom tiered in it and if a tier 10 CV doomed have to stay very close to other ships with better aa but the range is great easy to hit what you aim at and torps and the angles for then are great been averaging 91K damage in over 100 battles played.

Members
1,691 posts
8,495 battles
1 minute ago, monoace said:

@Wows_Nightly_News How are you finding the Irian? Was she worth it? Any Regrets so far?

I've found she certainly needs to be played with a lot more caution than Kutuzov. I haven't had the chance to play her that much with all the events going on, but I've enjoyed the games I've had in her.

Members
1,691 posts
8,495 battles

@monoace I just had a game in her that I think perfectly demonstrates her strengths and weaknesses. I was trying to use islands to farm the enemy Bismark and was having a good result. Unfortunately I was spotted by enemy DDs a couple times and the enemy Warspite got a couple salvos into me that left me with 800 hp. I was able to get torps off before my dying gasp and got one hell of a revenge though.

shot-19.07.02_21.54.34-0317.jpg

shot-19.07.02_21.54.51-0166.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
41 posts
16,074 battles

I hope you enjoy the ship. I played it on an alt account and it was fantastic. I like it better than the Kutuzov. The torpedoes were the defining difference. Reload booster allows for flooding an area with torpedoes is nice. The smoke firing penalty on the Kutuzov gets me killed from approaching DDs more than I would like to admit. The firing arcs are pretty much straight lines so hiding behind an island wasn't optimal. The distance you need to get your shots over it would allow battleships to return fire back whenever I was spotted in smoke.

I found that playing the Irian just like my Zao worked best for me.

Edited by Iron_Myke