You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Vaffu

How about some love for the Gearing?

21 comments in this topic

[KRAK]
Members
2,797 posts
17,460 battles

The torpedoes are just pitiful and could use a damage buff. I just hit a Kremlin broadside with 8 torpedoes and not one of them could manage more than 10k damage.  They have to be just about the weakest T10 torps that exist. Now I could see them being this weak if Gearing had at least good guns but those are garbage as well. When you have ships like Harugumo with good guns and torps and the German line with both guns and decent torps plus hydro Gearing is just all around weak in every area.

• Cool 3
  • Confused 1

Members
749 posts
9,384 battles

Just grind for the legendary mod and it'll feel like Fletcher Torpedoes...

Edit: oh wait, wrong info, but still, it's a good upgrade.
Although aside from torpedoes, Gearing needs a ship model rework.

Edited by Amatsukaze_KaiNi
  • Cool 1

[RNDM]
Members
307 posts
5,348 battles

They are giving it a torp reload buff on the 16km ones so that it feels somewhat better but yeah it could use a bit of help to catch up to the rest of the newer DDs due to power creep. Not too much though because I think a model rework, the torp buff and maybe something like better rudder shift would really go a long way.

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
1,483 posts
8,765 battles

Remember when Gearing was the ROF king?  Yeah, the guns were floaty, so you didn't want to get into a long range duel with a groz or a khab, and it didn't have as good of torps as a shima, or a neat trick like Z-52's hydro... but the one thing it was good at was a short range raw DPS race.  ...then they released Harugumo, and then Daring. 

Edited by Brhinosaurus

[KRAK]
Members
2,797 posts
17,460 battles
32 minutes ago, Amatsukaze_KaiNi said:

Just grind for the legendary mod and it'll feel like Fletcher Torpedoes...

Edit: oh wait, wrong info, but still, it's a good upgrade.
Although aside from torpedoes, Gearing needs a ship model rework.

I have the UU but what's that got to do with the incredibly weak damage the torps do?

[KRAK]
Members
2,797 posts
17,460 battles
11 minutes ago, Florendo19 said:

They are giving it a torp reload buff on the 16km ones so that it feels somewhat better but yeah it could use a bit of help to catch up to the rest of the newer DDs due to power creep. Not too much though because I think a model rework, the torp buff and maybe something like better rudder shift would really go a long way.

I would be happy with just more torp damage honestly. I can deal with the crappy guns and it doesn't maneuver all that bad but to put 8 torps into a broadside ship from 2km away and do less than 10k  damage per torp is just silly.

[KRAK]
Members
2,797 posts
17,460 battles
2 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Remember when Gearing was the ROF king?  Yeah, the guns were floaty, so you didn't want to get into a long range duel with a groz or a khab, and it didn't have as good of torps as a shima, or a neat trick like Z-52's hydro... but the one thing it was good at was a short range raw DPS race.  ...then the released Harugumo, and then Daring. 

The float is what makes the guns so horrible.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,490 posts
10,561 battles

Gearing is a good ship, but as mentioned it has been power crept. I did read about the buff to reload time, was happy to see that. I really rationed torpedo shots with it because of the long reload time.

[THICC]
[THICC]
Beta Testers
910 posts
5,307 battles

I don't think Gearing needs a buff, she is very good currently.  She got buffed extremely hard when they changed how 283mm+ AP works against DDs and her long range torpedoes are getting a buff next patch.

• Confused 1

[RNDM]
Members
307 posts
5,348 battles
1 hour ago, Vaffu said:

I would be happy with just more torp damage honestly. I can deal with the crappy guns and it doesn't maneuver all that bad but to put 8 torps into a broadside ship from 2km away and do less than 10k  damage per torp is just silly.

I mean you may have saturated that section of hull so you get less Damage per torp. Gearing struggles at mid range engagements but due to the long 16km torps can be effective at long range and at short range the guns if used properly will shred most DDs. The AA can be fairly respectable for a DD if you use AA mod 1, the sectors, and DFAA. But the silhouette is much higher than Yue Yang and other DDs and she turns worse than Fletcher without the rudder shift mod. The Fletcher torps have shorter reload and do more damage so I really appreciate the upcoming torp reload buff. All around I like her but just tweak those things and I will be really happy

[KRAK]
Members
2,797 posts
17,460 battles
1 minute ago, Florendo19 said:

I mean you may have saturated that section of hull so you get less Damage per torp. Gearing struggles at mid range engagements but due to the long 16km torps can be effective at long range and at short range the guns if used properly will shred most DDs. The AA can be fairly respectable for a DD if you use AA mod 1, the sectors, and DFAA. But the silhouette is much higher than Yue Yang and other DDs and she turns worse than Fletcher without the rudder shift mod. The Fletcher torps have shorter reload and do more damage so I really appreciate the upcoming torp reload buff. All around I like her but just tweak those things and I will be really happy

I hit a full health ship from 2km away with 8 torps so no wasn't damage saturation. More often than not Gearings torps do 9k or less damage per torp always. I am not saying it needs a buff in any other area but torp damage is pitiful.

[KRAK]
Members
2,797 posts
17,460 battles
28 minutes ago, LuckyStarFan said:

I don't think Gearing needs a buff, she is very good currently.  She got buffed extremely hard when they changed how 283mm+ AP works against DDs and her long range torpedoes are getting a buff next patch.

None of which has any impact on torpedo damage. Gearings torps are pitiful there is no arguing that.

• Confused 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,736 posts
15,454 battles

Gearing 16.5km torps will be getting a reload boost next patch. Their damage has never been huge, but they have very good range and detection. Can't have it all.

Also, <10k damage per torpedo is very normal when hitting a T10 battleship in the torp bulge. Z-52 has it even worse, actually.

If you want nuclear-tipped torpedoes, IJN or bust.

[SALVO]
Members
21,703 posts
22,016 battles
23 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

None of which has any impact on torpedo damage. Gearings torps are pitiful there is no arguing that.

The problem isn't that the Gearing torps do pitiful damage, per se.  The problem is that these high tier BBs have some excellent underwater torpedo protection.  IIRC, the Yammy has 50% torp damage reduction, for example.

• Cool 1

[FTH]
Members
999 posts
14,312 battles
30 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The problem isn't that the Gearing torps do pitiful damage, per se.  The problem is that these high tier BBs have some excellent underwater torpedo protection.  IIRC, the Yammy has 50% torp damage reduction, for example.

55% actually, same with Mush, the SoDak twins are I think 49-52%.

[SALVO]
Members
21,703 posts
22,016 battles
12 minutes ago, Purg473 said:

55% actually, same with Mush, the SoDak twins are I think 49-52%.

My bad.  Still, the point is that those ships have such good underwater protection that they reduce torp damage pretty severely.    Ya just gotta do that best you can.  But if one is looking for really heavy torp damage, it's better to be torping cruisers or destroyers which have far worse torp protection, if any at all.

[FTH]
Members
999 posts
14,312 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

My bad.  Still, the point is that those ships have such good underwater protection that they reduce torp damage pretty severely.    Ya just gotta do that best you can.  But if one is looking for really heavy torp damage, it's better to be torping cruisers or destroyers which have far worse torp protection, if any at all.

Nah, I didn't mean to come across as a know it all on it, come to think of it, I'm probably off by a couple percentage points.

Come to think of it, Amagis got like 40% too doesn't it?

Members
2,179 posts
78 battles

Gee, and I have seen IJN DD mains whine that Gearing torpedoes are superior to IJN torpedoes due to range and detection (and apparently torpedo spread because "USN torpedoes spreads less than IJN torpedoes")

What a change of pace.

[KRAK]
Members
2,797 posts
17,460 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Gearings torps are weak. I hit another DD the match after that one with a torp and did only 9k damage. Most times Gearings torps only hit for 9kish

[KRAK]
Members
2,797 posts
17,460 battles
36 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Gee, and I have seen IJN DD mains whine that Gearing torpedoes are superior to IJN torpedoes due to range and detection (and apparently torpedo spread because "USN torpedoes spreads less than IJN torpedoes")

What a change of pace.

The spread thing is nonsense. Gearing torps are like a shotgun you can fit two Bbs between the torps even at intermediate range.