Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Ahab1776

So I picked up the Murmansk out of the Armoury

19 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,529 posts
10,604 battles

I was against doing it at first because I have the Omaha already. I don't use the Hull C variant because it doesn't seem to pay dividends. The Murmansk uses the Omaha Hull C (sacrificing two aft case mate guns and two torpedo launchers) for the poop deck topped off with the 20 mm Oerlikon Mk4's. Throw in a spotter plane for much needed longer range than the Omaha, better rudder shift, premium camo, and longer range torpedos. I think I'm going to like it. It also basically gives a free intro to Soviet cruisers (Naval Battles). 

I think I'm going to like it.

Members
1,016 posts
19,150 battles

I love Omaha but I really love Murmansk because I can enjoy Omaha play while boosting a variety of Soviet captains. 

[YGGD]
Beta Testers
2,665 posts
22,135 battles

I brought the Murmansk when it first came out and still enjoy playing her...…….

[HYDRO]
Members
3,560 posts
5,062 battles

Murmansk's secret ace up it's sleeve is the AP. For some reason their AP performance is more comparable to Tier IX and X CLs.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,529 posts
10,604 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

Murmansk's secret ace up it's sleeve is the AP. For some reason their AP performance is more comparable to Tier IX and X CLs.

I didn't check but is it the same guns as the Omaha? Same ammo? I know USN cruisers are known for rainbow style trajectories. I think the Russian navy had high velocity flatter arcs?

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,529 posts
10,604 battles
21 minutes ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

I brought the Murmansk when it first came out and still enjoy playing her...…….

I could immediately tell the difference in handling. Omaha is like a bus, Murmansk is like a sports car in comparison.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[HYDRO]
Members
3,560 posts
5,062 battles
13 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I didn't check but is it the same guns as the Omaha? Same ammo? I know USN cruisers are known for rainbow style trajectories. I think the Russian navy had high velocity flatter arcs?

Both ships use the exact same guns, in that case single purpose 152mms. But AP penetration is a different matter entirely.

You can see Murmansk in orange, and how it compares favourably even with Seattle and Chapayev AP.  In the meantime it has a hilarious AP advantage over Omaha...

486973163_Screenshot_2019-06-25WoWSFittingToolbyAesis.thumb.png.ba5b11cd7977c2da74e11087f883278f.png

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,529 posts
10,604 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

Both ships use the exact same guns, in that case single purpose 152mms. But AP penetration is a whole matter entirely.

You can see Murmansk in orange, and how it compares favourably even with Seattle and Chapayev AP.  In the meantime it has a hilarious AP advantage over Omaha...

486973163_Screenshot_2019-06-25WoWSFittingToolbyAesis.thumb.png.ba5b11cd7977c2da74e11087f883278f.png

Cool! Thanks! I never used AP while sailing the Omaha, always HE. Omaha's AP seemed to be the equivalent of shooting ping pong balls. 

[M_S]
Members
369 posts
3,887 battles
5 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Cool! Thanks! I never used AP while sailing the Omaha, always HE. Omaha's AP seemed to be the equivalent of shooting ping pong balls. 

Then shooting with Murmansk is even more so.

Personally, shooting with Omaha HE was like shooting islands. AP, not so. I once took off 30000 HP off a Gneisenau by using AP  from 11 - 13 km.

Edited by tyinnow

[RLGN]
Members
11,277 posts
20,288 battles
17 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I could immediately tell the difference in handling. Omaha is like a bus, Murmansk is like a sports car in comparison.

Use mine in Naval Battles with my Groz driver.

[NG-NL]
Members
74 posts
6,762 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Both ships use the exact same guns, in that case single purpose 152mms. But AP penetration is a different matter entirely.

Wow! I never guessed. Thanks, warheart!
Murmansk was my first premium. It still brings a smile when I play it. Now I have another reason to hit tier V.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,295 posts
19,694 battles
18 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Spoiler

kHR2vqF.png

The AP Artillery Chart for all the Omaha-class ships in the game.

Spoiler

aXEvZmR.jpg

Note Omaha, Marblehead, Marblehead Lima all share the same AP shell performance.  But Murmansk is magically better.

There's also the matter than for some reason, Murmansk has far superior torpedoes and wayyy better rudder shift than Omaha.

Speed / Turning Circle Radius / Rudder Shift Time

Omaha 34kts / 600m / 5.7 seconds

Murmansk 34kts / 590m / 3.8 seconds :Smile_teethhappy:

Torpedoes?  Murmansk's torpedoes are simply better, magical even when compared to Omaha.

Spoiler

d16ORGX.jpg

aWuLH6V.jpg

Murmansk torpedoes hit harder, have far superior range, etc.

And you guys should have seen Murmansk when BFT & AFT used to buff 155mm and smaller guns.

Traditionally Murmansk was one of the original poster children of "Russian Bias" and with the facts above, for the SAME CLASS OF SHIP IN THE SAME TIER, Murmansk is vastly superior.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[M_S]
Members
369 posts
3,887 battles

[REDACTED]

Edited by tyinnow

[TWE]
Members
63 posts
6,260 battles

One of these days I will bring mine out of mothballs. She was my first ship I bought, also.:Smile_Default:

[WOLFG]
Members
6,046 posts
3,893 battles
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:15 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:
  Reveal hidden contents

kHR2vqF.png

The AP Artillery Chart for all the Omaha-class ships in the game.

I tried this the other day.

Nasty.

[TWE]
Members
63 posts
6,260 battles

Well, I took her out today and did horrible in her. 

[CVA16]
Members
3,661 posts
11,958 battles
5 hours ago, Lyrkiller said:

Well, I took her out today and did horrible in her.

Well, you would probably have done even worse in an Omaha. Its not an OP ship (just the poster child for Russian bias in the game) but certainly isn't a bad ship either.

Sign in to follow this