You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

-45%'ers - Would you pay for a WOWS Tutor?

80 comments in this topic

[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,511 battles

Just wondering how many people out that would pay actual money ( or virtual economy ) to setup a weekly day and time for an online WOWS tutor to division up with you for 3 game giving you advice and following their example.

If you want to learn a foreign language, you can go to numerous sites with lists of native / local teachers, their bios, credentials, teaching styles, and just skype with them for an hour a week.  Just imagining if such a resource existed with WOWS:

A) Would anyone use it?

B) What would it cost?

C) How effective would it be?

It could be yet another profit making resource for WG.

Opinions?

(For that matter an offline, skill building, task oriented training ladder could be useful as well.)

Edited by SJ_Sailer
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1

Members
3,648 posts
6,894 battles

I have a feeling that WG's recruiting station is exactly for that. Most of the people that are struggling in world of warships are infrequent and inexperienced players that really could use a more experienced friend to play with. The problem with putting a price tag on player cooperation and game tips is that it's honestly pretty discouraging and saddening. People play games for fun, and if you need to pay money to get all serious, that really spoils the mood.

Granted, there will always be some players that really want to get good, but I don't think it should be an official thing.

• Cool 1

[NGAGE]
Members
3,611 posts
8,693 battles
3 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

This is the most clever suggestion to encourage WG employees to actually play the game I've seen.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 4

[WOLF1]
Members
107 posts
4,937 battles

Would be nice, but if someone doesn't even take the time to read the WOWS wiki, read the guides for certain ships, or watch the videos that WG put out explaining the game mechanics for free, I doubt that they would pay for lessons. 

Edited by js23
  • Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
1,980 posts
11,768 battles
3 minutes ago, js23 said:

Would be nice, but if someone doesn't even take the time to read the WOWS wiki, read the guides for certain ships, or watch the videos that WG put out explaining the game mechanics for free, I doubt that they would pay for lessons. 

That's pretty much the education experience in the US.  Fundamentally it's why we have schools in addition to libraries.  Public schools are of course paid for by the public but we have private schools and tutoring for enhanced or guided learning experiences.

• Cool 1

[BOTO]
Members
599 posts
10,949 battles
10 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Just wondering how many people out that would pay actual money ( or virtual economy ) to setup a weekly day and time for an online WOWS tutor to division up with you for 3 game giving you advice and following their example.

If you want to learn a foreign language, you can go to numerous sites with lists of native / local teachers, their bios, credentials, teaching styles, and just skype with them for an hour a week.  Just imagining if such a resource existed with WOWS:

A) Would anyone use it?

B) What would it cost?

Opinions?

(For that matter an offline, skill building, task oriented training ladder could be useful as well.)

My win rate is well over 45% but I'd be interested in having a super-unicum work with me on my gameplay.

• Cool 2

[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,511 battles
1 minute ago, js23 said:

Would be nice, but if someone doesn't even take the time to read the WOWS wiki or watch the videos that WG put out explaining the game mechanics for free, I doubt that they would pay for lessons. 

Listen I have watched more videos than I can count, read everything I can, and I am still a below average player.  You can only learn so much by watching pre-made videos.  There are lessons to be learned that can only be shown in live situations.  I would put learning into two classes:

SKILL = How to shoot accurately and such at ships on angles, leads, etc.

JUDGEMENT = Positioning and such, where to be, not to be, good decisions and bad decisions.

• Cool 2

[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,511 battles
1 minute ago, FrodoFraggin said:

The title is literally “would you pay to win?”  :fish_haloween:

........Pay to get better.....Pay not to get angry at yourself for making stupid mistakes......Pay to have more fun.....Yea it all sounds bad doesn't it.

[ADOPT]
Members
361 posts
4,511 battles

Unfortunately I dont think they would.  Free resources is out there to get better, I know I looked and found the help I needed to play better.  But most ppl do not care / play for fun (which is fine) and the rest can't see beyond their own ego that they actually suck in this game.

[INTEL]
Members
1,980 posts
11,768 battles
12 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

A) Would anyone use it?

B) What would it cost?

Opinions?

It's a good idea.

We do have limited versions of this today.  @Lord_Zath, @Destroyer_KuroshioKai and others will critique and comment on your play if you send them your replays.

The Hoperations group (https://discord.gg/ST7K6MY) will div with you and teach you how to best use your ships and play specific operations.  @Lightninger produces YouTube videos on tactics including those for specific ships.

I see others on the forum offering to Div up with players and give them tips.

All of that is useful so I don't see why an organized effort by Wargaming or even enterprising individuals wouldn't be successful

• Boring 1

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles

I dont look at my stats or know what my % is - I'm sure it is worse and still falling because I was  DD player and have chosen to get more serious about cruisers since the rework with varying results - so I would be a hard NO on getting tutored.  

Interesting topic though. I will be keeping an eye on it to see how many YES responses you get and wonder if they would also pay for a tutor for something that actually mattered in life.

Edited by T_O_dubl_D

[NGAGE]
Members
3,611 posts
8,693 battles
11 minutes ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

My win rate is well over 45% but I'd be interested in having a super-unicum work with me on my gameplay.

Check out Adopt's discord. They have a great place/culture for that https://discord.gg/S7B5wa

• Cool 2

[TOG]
Members
3,641 posts
19,472 battles
17 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

I have a feeling that WG's recruiting station is exactly for that. Most of the people that are struggling in world of warships are infrequent and inexperienced players that really could use a more experienced friend to play with. The problem with putting a price tag on player cooperation and game tips is that it's honestly pretty discouraging and saddening. People play games for fun, and if you need to pay money to get all serious, that really spoils the mood.

Granted, there will always be some players that really want to get good, but I don't think it should be an official thing.

The question with divving up with a more experienced player is if you had learned anything?  You need to review games you played and see:

1. What did you do right?

2. What did you do wrong?

3. Apply those lessons into the next game you played.

[NGAGE]
Members
3,611 posts
8,693 battles
2 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

The question with divving up with a more experienced player is if you had learned anything?  You need to review games you played and see:

This.

And realize, over time you will start to realize not everything they say is right - but if a player sits at a purple or even blue WR compared to you, they are doing something right which you are not. I learn so much from divving with folks better than me.

[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,511 battles
4 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

The 35%'ers are more concerning.

FYI you can tutor yourself if you just spend some time watching videos.

Please with the videos........I am sorry but they just do not help the majority of us.

If it were only that easy there would not be so many poor players out there.

Listen videos may work for cooking where it is a step by step process that can be repeated easily.  But they do not work in an dynamic world. 

(At least not for me.)

Beta Testers
1,602 posts
10,089 battles
4 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

This.

And realize, over time you will start to realize not everything they say is right - but if a player sits at a purple or even blue WR compared to you, they are doing something right which you are not. I learn so much from divving with folks better than me.

Yeah, it's a combination of watching, doing, and "research" to learn to play better, but, more importantly, it takes a type of self honesty for anything to help. 

You have to be able to admit you aren't as good as you hope, or think.  A lot of marginal players would make terrible students, because they refuse to admit it's them that needs to change; instead, they blame hacks and cheats and bias and secret P2W accounts and rigged MM... etc.   

I've done a LOT of real world tutoring, and it can be frustrating.  It can also be rewarding as heck, btw. 

I used to head a guild in WoW, for 7 years-  we were very much a second string guild (although we did produce some highly skilled players) but we recruited people, not skill sets.  We had solid folks who were friends first, and who felt comfortable asking for help, and that we felt comfy in trying to educate a bit.  I learned I'm not good at transfering PVP skills to others, but I'm good at inspiring and catching major faults.

These offers or ideas come up a fair bit, I just don't think that most people would pay for it.

I do make a habit of trying to give tips or advice to people in game, or lobby chat, generally, people are cool with it.  Except the tinfoil hat guys - those guys are in solid denial.

• Cool 1

Members
1,182 posts
5,156 battles
41 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

A) Would anyone use it?

B) What would it cost?

Opinions?

While it is not a bad idea, the question is would players be willing to pay for WoWs tutoring when there are already free alternatives currently available, as @ClassicLib points out a few examples. 

23 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

It's a good idea.

We do have limited versions of this today.  @Lord_Zath, @Destroyer_KuroshioKai and others will critique and comment on your play if you send them your replays.

The Hoperations group (https://discord.gg/ST7K6MY) will div with you and teach you how to best use your ships and play specific operations.  @Lightninger produces YouTube videos on tactics including those for specific ships.

I see others on the forum offering to Div up with players and give them tips.

All of that is useful so I don't see why an organized effort by Wargaming or even enterprising individuals wouldn't be successful

[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
883 posts
2,511 battles
28 minutes ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

If there was a web page listing multiple dates and times where Super-Unicom players were holding free ride-alongs for 2 registered guests where they gave advice and direction, would you sign up and register if they had an opening that fit your schedule?

What if it cost $5 for Unicom player and $10 for a Super-Unicom?  Would you pay?  $15 - $25?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,763 posts
15,494 battles
5 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Listen videos may work for cooking where it is a step by step process that can be repeated easily.  But they do not work in an dynamic world. 

Yeah, most useful skills are more than memorization problems.

I believe @Lord_Zath regularly invites people who submit replays to give live commentary. If you ask for advice, I'm sure he'd be happy to do a more in-depth live talk-through on stream.

[KRAB]
Members
840 posts
7,295 battles

The players best suited to tutoring usually reach ~48-50% on their own - if you are ~45% after any significant number of games (>1000) I don't think you have the base talent to ever be better than average. Some people just don't have the capability to excel for whatever reason. 

• Confused 2

[BOTO]
Members
599 posts
10,949 battles
2 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

The players best suited to tutoring usually reach ~48-50% on their own - if you are ~45% after any significant number of games (>1000) I don't think you have the base talent to ever be better than average. Some people just don't have the capability to excel for whatever reason. 

I completely disagree.  I was at 46% at 1450 or so games........and now I'm at 55%.  There's no doubt in my mind that there are players with several thousand games played that could improve by a significant margin.  Don't assume that a low win rate indicates a lack of ability, from my experience it's a lack of knowledge.

[EGO]
Members
3,683 posts
11 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Please with the videos........I am sorry but they just do not help the majority of us.

If it were only that easy there would not be so many poor players out there.

(At least not for me.)

Look at the minimap constantly and always plan a way out. You just improved your win rate several percent.

You should try some videos before you dismiss them.

• Cool 1

[BOTO]
Members
599 posts
10,949 battles
6 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

If there was a web page listing multiple dates and times where Super-Unicom players were holding free ride-alongs for 2 registered guests where they gave advice and direction, would you sign up and register if they had an opening that fit your schedule?

What if it cost $5 for Unicom player and $10 for a Super-Unicom?  Would you pay?  $15 - $25?

Were my financial situation currently better, yes, I'd probably give it a shot at least once.