You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sea_Goblin

What is the A line?

26 comments in this topic

Members
28 posts
545 battles

I just ran into this when reading another thread.  "...those things don't seem to be weighted as heavily as damage dealt by that Yamato camping on a the A line.

What is meant by the A line?  Is there a resource/glossary where I could learn things like this (and other things about how to play in support of your team/strategies for different maps, etc.?)  I want to improve my team play and overall understanding of how to play as a good team member.  I play mostly US cruisers at the moment, but I am interested in learning about how all classes are played to best advantage. TIA for you help! 

[SIMP]
Members
1,039 posts
9,335 battles
Just now, Sea_Goblin said:

I just ran into this when reading another thread.  "...those things don't seem to be weighted as heavily as damage dealt by that Yamato camping on a the A line.

What is meant by the A line?  Is there a resource/glossary where I could learn things like this (and other things about how to play in support of your team/strategies for different maps, etc.?)  I want to improve my team play and overall understanding of how to play as a good team member.  I play mostly US cruisers at the moment, but I am interested in learning about how all classes are played to best advantage. TIA for you help! 

It is referred to the in game map, A-J and 1-10

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
5,977 posts
3,841 battles
1 minute ago, _cthulhu_ said:

Meaning one of the outside lines (furthest away from the middle).

• Cool 1

Members
28 posts
545 battles
4 minutes ago, _cthulhu_ said:

Oh, of course.  I was aware of the grid system on the map, but hadn't thought of them as "lines".  Duh.  Thanks for taking the time to help clue in this clueless newbie tater.

image.gif

Edited by Sea_Goblin
  • Cool 3

Members
28 posts
545 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Meaning one of the outside lines (furthest away from the middle).

Thanks so much for responding!  That makes total sense. 

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,490 posts
10,561 battles

Sometimes, not all the time if someone hears that they are referring to someone camping in the back. Away from the battle.

• Cool 1

Members
28 posts
545 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Sometimes, not all the time if someone hears that they are referring to someone camping in the back. Away from the battle.

Thanks for responding!  That make sense in the context of the thread I was reading.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,156 posts
11,135 battles

A line is where nirvana is. 

• Funny 1

[S0L0]
Members
1,312 posts
6,535 battles
1 hour ago, pikohan said:

A line is where nirvana is. 

Nope, pretty sure nirvana is in Seattle.

Matt

• Funny 1

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Members
1,752 posts
18,953 battles

Just a grid reference based on the map. Someone camping the A line is not pushing past into the B grid squares. You may also hear someone say they are flanking up the " 3 " line or team push on the up the 3/4 line.  Just a rough reference to their location on the minimap.

• Cool 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,894 posts
15,569 battles
2 hours ago, Sea_Goblin said:

Oh, of course.  I was aware of the grid system on the map, but hadn't thought of them as "lines".  Duh.  Thanks for taking the time to help clue in this clueless newbie tater.

image.gif

It can come in handy tactically...sometimes as a heads up.  In chat, I'll say something like, "I'll be putting torps down the 3 line".  If the DD in FRONT of me gives a Roger, then I know he is cognizant and accepts it.  If I don't get a Roger....then I often won't do it.  If I get a negative, then I definitely don't do it.  Or..."Dropping smoke on the E line".  Again, lets folks know smoke is coming and where.  Really helpful for a CA spammer in trail.  

And perhaps the most use I see....when I see half the fleet being kitted to the fringe of the map, losing SA on the objectives...I'll sometimes chat up "What's so fascinating about the 1 line".?  Others might not chat as nicely.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Members
28 posts
545 battles
33 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

It can come in handy tactically...sometimes as a heads up.  In chat, I'll say something like, "I'll be putting torps down the 3 line".  If the DD in FRONT of me gives a Roger, then I know he is cognizant and accepts it.  If I don't get a Roger....then I often won't do it.  If I get a negative, then I definitely don't do it.  Or..."Dropping smoke on the E line".  Again, lets folks know smoke is coming and where.  Really helpful for a CA spammer in trail.  

And perhaps the most use I see....when I see half the fleet being kitted to the fringe of the map, losing SA on the objectives...I'll sometimes chat up "What's so fascinating about the 1 line".?  Others might not chat as nicely.

That's great info, thanks!  I know it must get frustrating for experienced players to be put on teams with new players, but I do try and monitor chat and respond to what others are saying/doing.  For example, when playing this weeks op I've taken to throwing in a "I'll take the convoy/cv" if someone asks who's doing what and no one else is speaking up.  I probably haven't been acknowledging that I've heard what was being said enough though, because as a newbie I don't want to "clutter the frequency" so to speak, but your example made me realize that some messages should be acknowledged for everyone's sake.

Members
28 posts
545 battles
51 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

Just a grid reference based on the map. Someone camping the A line is not pushing past into the B grid squares. You may also hear someone say they are flanking up the " 3 " line or team push on the up the 3/4 line.  Just a rough reference to their location on the minimap.

Thanks for responding!.  I appreciate the info.

[WORX]
Members
5,029 posts
15,593 battles
12 minutes ago, Sea_Goblin said:

Thanks for responding!.  I appreciate the info.

Sometime posters, forget to use descriptors to best articulate what is being communicated (that includes me). For examble 

• A line (could mean a line in the sand per se)
  • B line (could mean Sail FAST)
  • 3/4 line (could mean 3/4 of a line).

I guess we omit the " of the mini map" or "of the grid" part; Because, its either implied or assumed to the intended audience. 

Comprehension is a dying but necessary art form to master.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

Members
28 posts
545 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

Sometime posters, forget to use descriptors to best articulate what is being communicated (that includes me). For examble 

• A line (could mean a line in the sand per se)
  • B line (could mean Sail FAST)
  • 3/4 line (could mean 3/4 of a line).

I guess we omit the " of the mini map" or "of the grid" part; Because, its either implied or assumed to the intended audience. 

comprehension is a dying but necessary art fom to master.

So true!

[WOLFC]
Members
1,664 posts
5 hours ago, Sea_Goblin said:

BTW, before you get too used to referring to the "A line" (top row) or "1 line" (left column) ... WG is going to flip everything in the next release,

... unless they've changed their mind.

ALine.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
28 posts
545 battles
Just now, DocWalker said:

BTW, before you get too used to referring to the "A line" (top row) or "1 line" (left column) ... WG is going to flip everything in the next release,

... unless they've changed their mind.

ALine.jpg

LOL!  Thanks for the heads up.

Members
28 posts
545 battles
22 minutes ago, Wicked_Little_Witch said:

A line is a style of dresses

That fact that I understood this response without looking it up shows that I've watched far to many episodes of What Not To Wear with my wife.

• Funny 2

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,894 posts
15,569 battles
10 hours ago, Sea_Goblin said:

That's great info, thanks!  I know it must get frustrating for experienced players to be put on teams with new players, 

Not at all.  New is good.  I don't start expecting anything from players until T5.  T1 to T4 are the learning tiers and messing up is expected.  And even at T5, I give a lot of leeway.  Starting T6, I begin to expect some basic understanding...with an incremental expectation up the tiers.  But I also understand everyone has a bad day, and no one is perfect.  So even high tiers get sympathy...some of the time.

Members
28 posts
545 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

It's a metaphorical place far from danger... and effectiveness. 

:Smile_teethhappy:

Members
28 posts
545 battles
9 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Not at all.  New is good.  I don't start expecting anything from players until T5.  T1 to T4 are the learning tiers and messing up is expected.  And even at T5, I give a lot of leeway.  Starting T6, I begin to expect some basic understanding...with an incremental expectation up the tiers.  But I also understand everyone has a bad day, and no one is perfect.  So even high tiers get sympathy...some of the time.

Thanks for the kind words.  Maybe I'll see you out there sometime!