Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BattleBard149

Massachusetts: So far very underwhelming

32 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

108
[KREW]
Members
145 posts
8,585 battles

Hi all,

I've heard for a long time about how fantastic the Massachusetts is, and how she is this amazing brawler who can take damage and deal it out at medium to close ranges.

Well, I don't agree, at least so far. I just got her a few days ago , excited about the prospects of my new ship and hoping I could see some of its "greatness." Boy what a disappointment so far. This thing catches fire like it's soaked in napalm; last game, I had 3 ships set me on fire, separately... all  with their first 3 hits... and I don't mean their first salvos, I mean with the very first shell that hit me. And torpedo protection seems to be completely non-existent. EVERY SINGLE torpedo that has hit me has caused flooding: EVERY single torpedo, EVERY game, EVERY time I've been hit with one. And I know the guns are supposed to be somewhat less than accurate, but OMG! The dispersion is so horrific that I have missed battleships entirely at 4-6 km on several occasions... with full broadsides. And I am normally a pretty darn good shot with most any ship.

I don't have the greatest captain on her, admittedly; he is only a 7 pointer, but still... If anyone has any advice for me, please let me know how I can salvage what has so far been an utterly disappointing ship.

I got the Georgia on the same day and it is, IMHO, an IMMENSELY better ship, even at brawling. They say the Georgia can't brawl, but I do very well in it, and 10x better in brawls than in this Massachusetts thing.

BTW, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday. I have about a hundred ships, and can play most of them pretty well to extremely well, but for some reason this one is just eluding me. It's been a frustrating experience for someone who is used to doing decent to really good in most any ship. 

Is anyone else having this issue, or am I the one person in WOS who can't play this hunka-junk? (at least so far)   

Any advice?

Thanx in advance, Mates

(BTW I play mostly coop, if that matters)

lukepieceofjunk.gif.7457fb651d72ffd206826c45a36f4eb2.gif

  • Confused 3
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
970
[O7]
Members
1,185 posts
14,494 battles

I think its going to be due partly to not being proficient at this kind of ship as well as the 7 point captain. massa is great with a secondary build, but just a worse North Carolina without. In randoms at least, Massa is one of the strongest T8s

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,018
[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,718 posts
7,708 battles
16 minutes ago, FuBard123 said:

This thing catches fire like it's soaked in napalm; last game, I had 3 ships set me on fire, separately... all  with their first 3 hits... and I don't mean their first salvos, I mean with the very first shell that hit me.

She catches fire just as well as North Carolina, Amagi, Baltimore or Kagerou do.

16 minutes ago, FuBard123 said:

And torpedo protection seems to be completely non-existent. EVERY SINGLE torpedo that has hit me has caused flooding: EVERY single torpedo, EVERY game, EVERY time I've been hit with one.

This largely depends on where it hits. Amidships she has some of the best TDS you'll find in the game. But when you take it to the bow she is not any better off than everyone else.

18 minutes ago, FuBard123 said:

And I know the guns are supposed to be somewhat less than accurate, but OMG! The dispersion is so horrific that I have missed battleships entirely at 4-6 km on several occasions... with full broadsides.

They are only slightly less accurate, and the dispersion is not any different from NC or Alabama. They only have a slighly smaller chance to not land closely to the aiming point.

 

If you want Massachusetts to overperform, you need a 14pt captain. Slap AFT and ManSecs on her and enjoy bullying people in randoms.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,447
[WORX]
Members
5,043 posts
15,593 battles

um few things...

  • Fire and HE pens (lack there of thanks to WG increasing RU BB armor as the standard). Are the prevailing way to sink a BB (thank the BB community for that)
  • Mindless secondary game play like the Massachusetts are getting a Buff soon... 

I see a future game balance issue brewing. The above points are all ready over powered,but hey... What do I know I love a balance gameplay. 

High tier BBs are IMO not balance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,058
[5D]
Members
2,826 posts
17,489 battles

I think the 7 pt captain is the biggest issue for you right now. Get them leveled up to 14-16 pt range and the ship will be a much different experience for you.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,648 posts
6,884 battles

You really do need a dedicated secondary build for the Massachusetts to make her an absolute menace. Everything else about the ship is mediocre to offset this advantage. 

If you don't have don't have a high point captain yet, get Alabama or just use North Carolina instead, they are both very similar in terms of AA and protection, and have much better main battery accuracy in exchange for normal insignificant secondaries.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
960
[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,622 posts
15,905 battles

Build for secondaries and survivability.

 

Dam con 1 and 2.

.....

PT or PM.

AR

BFT or SI

FP, AFT & IFHE.

.....

FIRST 10 POINT: PT, AR, BFT, AFT.

NEXT 4, IFHE

THEN FP

Last point either PM or EL.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,539
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,346 posts
11,851 battles
2 hours ago, Kebobstuzov said:

I think its going to be due partly to not being proficient at this kind of ship as well as the 7 point captain. massa is great with a secondary build, but just a worse North Carolina without. In randoms at least, Massa is one of the strongest T8s

This, the Massachusetts is great with a full secondary build captain but you will have to build a captain specifically for her because that doesn't work with any of the tech tree US BB's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
152
-Members-
272 posts
3,159 battles

Good afternoon @FuBard123

Sorry about your frustration at the USS Massachusetts. The answers above, thank you all, have pinpointed the biggest issue. You need a very specific specked Captain to get the most out of her. 

That requires an investment in your time to grind the needed XP. As @The_first_harbinger said, if you have the NC or the Alabama it can help you in this process. 

IMO, it is worth the effort to get her as when it works, IT REALLY IS FUN to play it., :Smile_izmena:

 

Best of luck sir

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
572
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,753 posts
18,180 battles
56 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This, the Massachusetts is great with a full secondary build captain but you will have to build a captain specifically for her because that doesn't work with any of the tech tree US BB's.

That said, Georgia is of the same vein.  You can build a pretty strong GA/Mass combo captain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,539
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,346 posts
11,851 battles
11 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

That said, Georgia is of the same vein.  You can build a pretty strong GA/Mass combo captain.

Yeah, but without that captain they struggle.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108
[KREW]
Members
145 posts
8,585 battles

Thanx all,

I guess I'll have to suffer through the captain building process to get to a point where she's a good ship. I'll put her in my rotation and just grimace a lot.  

I think getting the Georgia on the same day and her being so amazing had just made my expectations for the Mass too high.

I'll stick with it, and hope she holds together til I get her upgraded and I get better with her.

Fair seas, mates.

 

 

 

hold together.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108
[KREW]
Members
145 posts
8,585 battles

UPDATE...

Well, I've made a few changes and things are looking up a bit. I finagled a 10pt captain and re-spec'd everything. My last few games have been significantly better. The 'ol piece-of-junk is doing a little better. (I mean me, BTW, not the ship...lol)  :Smile_teethhappy:

Here's my new cap build.

   PT     (I HAVE to have this on all ships, though I know some would say  PM  is the best  choice.)

  AR

  BFT

  AFT

Modules

  AAM1

  DCSM1

  SBM1

  DCSM2

  CSM1    

Sound good?   From what you guys have said, and what I see online, it looks optimal, or nearly so, thus far. I plan to go for the secondary/survival build from there

I'll git gud with her… or at least give 'em hell til I go down!  :Smile_izmena:

 

Fair seas, Mates!

 

 

see you in hell.gif

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
572
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,753 posts
18,180 battles

Well, if you have some 19 pt capts sometimes it is more palatable to play those ships and earn Capt XP, then grind an underwhelming Capt.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108
[KREW]
Members
145 posts
8,585 battles

Alas, 

I have yet to earn my first 19pt captain. My closest is in the Hindenburg.... about 18 and a 1/4.

:Smile_sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
592
[WOLF9]
Members
3,942 posts

  No, I'm in the same boat.   First couple of games were HILLARIOUS!  A US BB- attacking ships halfway across the map- with secondaries!  What a riot.

Then the reality set in.

  This ship's ballistics flat out suck.  They're not mediochre- they suck.   I hate ships with bad guns...   Really, who cares if your pea shooters can plink away at ships 10km+ away- if you regularly totally miss ships at less than 8km, who are sitting still.     The game already has several ships like that- Bismarck for one.

  Like Bismarck,  Black Mass is parked.  I've not got the time or patience to waste on them.    If I want something with good secondaries, I can still play my French BB's- and their main batteries don't suck like these.

  Also, Co-op IS part of the problem.  I play there, too.   That's why you're on fire all the time.  Why you burst into flames from the first HE shell that touches your ship, and why you flood so easily.  Those are all known bot cheats.    Investing tons of credits and premium consumables into prevention doesn't help.    Poor gun accuracy is also exacerbated there, as they can dodge, twitch, bow tank, or simply avoid taking massive damage better than humans can.  

  That said, Poor accuracy is probably the worst thing you can do to a battleship.   That's your entire schtick- landing heavy blows on enemy ships.   They aren't much good for anything else we can do in this game.   Maybe it's not as much a handicap in Random- I don't play much there- but it sure the hell is in pve!

 

  I have to agree with you, as well, on the inconsistent and arbitrary way they handle the US secondaries.   It's weird, and annoying how the same freaking gun behaves so differently on different ships.  Sometimes the only difference between the two is the hull number... Those guns were deliberately nerfed into meh-ness for #reasons.   Heck, now the German FOUR inch guns will have better penetration- in addition to being better at AAA.  

  I will say though, that the 5"/51's were severely limited in range and firing arcs BECAUSE they were casemate guns.  (very limited elevation and traverse.)  Also, they were manual everything, so they fired, traversed, etc slower than the 5"/38's.   Great ballistic performance, but very old fashioned in every other way.    The 5"/38 was a huge leap forward in everything BUT utility as a secondary armament vs surface ships.  The super slow muzzle velocity was deliberate- to lessen wear and tear on the gun tubes and extend their useful life.  (remember- these ships are fighting thousands of miles away from our ports and shipyards, and every spare part had to be shipped by sea.  Gun barrels and liners are big bulky items.  And it's not a repair you can do at sea.)  The trade off was vastly improved handling, and a surface mount or turret has a FAR better field of fire.   Add in radar guidance, director control, and VT fused rounds and...

  The 5"/54's Montana gets were designed to eliminate some of the shortcomings of the /38's- but those are nerfed in-game, too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
333
[POP]
Members
458 posts
5,672 battles

Massachusetts is not a brawler, she is a mid range 1v1 ship.  Her main guns are great at that range and her secondaries will hit cruiser hiding behind mountains due to their arch.  Do not try to play her like a German bb or you will be frustrated.   

I have never had less than a 19 or captain in her so I cant say how poorly she performs without all her skills maxed but I can say with a 19 pt ifhe build she is a beast if played correctly,  i have one of my higher win rates in that ship (somewhere in the 55% range) and considering I am bottom tier most of the time, that pretty good imo.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
756
[WDS]
Members
1,780 posts
8,964 battles
4 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

have never had less than a 19 or captain in her so I cant say how poorly she performs without all her skills maxed but I can say with a 19 pt ifhe build she is a beast if played correctly,  i have one of my higher win rates in that ship (somewhere in the 55% range) and considering I am bottom tier most of the time, that pretty good imo.

This ^ +1

Edited by clammboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[SOCOM]
Members
346 posts
14,828 battles

well don't get the trump wagon the secondaries are crap for range even though its a tier higher and the guns are not much better, and you got to remember it is an American ship, and they always make them look inferior to the other nations. Doesn't matter much though the WOW ship is sinking fast, they are desperate to get new players by having bounties, and are losing a lot of old timers as well.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
152
-Members-
272 posts
3,159 battles
 
 
 
 
3
14 hours ago, FuBard123 said:

UPDATE...

Well, I've made a few changes and things are looking up a bit. I finagled a 10pt captain and re-spec'd everything. My last few games have been significantly better. The 'ol piece-of-junk is doing a little better. (I mean me, BTW, not the ship...lol)  :Smile_teethhappy:

I'll git gud with her… or at least give 'em hell til I go down!  :Smile_izmena:

 

Fair seas, Mates!

 

 

see you in hell.gif

Great to hear @FuBard123, as others have said, if you can get 1 vs 1 against another BB you will find one of the Massachusetts strengths. All the best sir :Smile_honoring:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
171
[FTH]
Members
999 posts
14,312 battles

It doesn't really come alive until you get IFHE as well, and manuals makes it even better.

I hate to say it, but Mass/Georgia is one of those cases where until you throw an 18 pt on it you're not getting all she can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4 posts
3,337 battles

Mass Is a very tricky ship to play when you get T10 MM. The low point captain on top of that make it very hard to get the most out of her. I've had some monster games, and some games where nothing works out.    Keep plugging away, get that captain leveled up and you'll be laughing!

 

Edited by Anavrin86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,598
[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
3,010 posts
On 6/24/2019 at 1:40 PM, FuBard123 said:

Hi all,

I've heard for a long time about how fantastic the Massachusetts is, and how she is this amazing brawler who can take damage and deal it out at medium to close ranges.

Well, I don't agree, at least so far. I just got her a few days ago , excited about the prospects of my new ship and hoping I could see some of its "greatness." Boy what a disappointment so far. This thing catches fire like it's soaked in napalm; last game, I had 3 ships set me on fire, separately... all  with their first 3 hits... and I don't mean their first salvos, I mean with the very first shell that hit me. And torpedo protection seems to be completely non-existent. EVERY SINGLE torpedo that has hit me has caused flooding: EVERY single torpedo, EVERY game, EVERY time I've been hit with one. And I know the guns are supposed to be somewhat less than accurate, but OMG! The dispersion is so horrific that I have missed battleships entirely at 4-6 km on several occasions... with full broadsides. And I am normally a pretty darn good shot with most any ship.

I don't have the greatest captain on her, admittedly; he is only a 7 pointer, but still... If anyone has any advice for me, please let me know how I can salvage what has so far been an utterly disappointing ship.

I got the Georgia on the same day and it is, IMHO, an IMMENSELY better ship, even at brawling. They say the Georgia can't brawl, but I do very well in it, and 10x better in brawls than in this Massachusetts thing.

BTW, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday. I have about a hundred ships, and can play most of them pretty well to extremely well, but for some reason this one is just eluding me. It's been a frustrating experience for someone who is used to doing decent to really good in most any ship. 

Is anyone else having this issue, or am I the one person in WOS who can't play this hunka-junk? (at least so far)   

Any advice?

Thanx in advance, Mates

(BTW I play mostly coop, if that matters)

lukepieceofjunk.gif.7457fb651d72ffd206826c45a36f4eb2.gif

Put Halsey on her like I did mine you get him with this Campaign  you also get the permanent Cleveland camo when you finish the collection,And Halsey  unlike John,George Doe is a 15 pointer .PS   Fair Winds and Following Sea's

Commander_William_Halsey.png

Campaign_Hit_Hard_Hit_Fast_Hit_Often.png

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,598
[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
3,010 posts
4 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Put Halsey on her like I did mine you get him with this Campaign  you also get the permanent Cleveland camo when you finish the collection,And Halsey  unlike John,George Doe is a 15 pointer .PS   Fair Winds and Following Sea's

Commander_William_Halsey.png

Campaign_Hit_Hard_Hit_Fast_Hit_Often.png

Almost forgot one the most important things with  the Currently OP  CV's  since AA was nerfed to :etc_swear:Massachusetts  doesn't  do badly at all when using the Full Secondary build  fares well against CV's  most of the time unlike  a number of the formerly strong Specialty  AA  ships

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24
[WOLF6]
Members
119 posts
1,939 battles

Is ManSec really necessary? With normal secondaries you can attack different enemies at port and stardboard, I think that manual doesnt let you do that. 

And if yes, man sec first or IFHE? IS IFHE really necessary or only when you go against a IX-X BB? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×