You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

12 comments in this topic

[PENND]
Members
332 posts
5,741 battles

How well does she do in OPs? Can she hold her own? I have all premium UK BBs but Nelson and I want to get the communities advice before pulling the plug.

Edited by SYST3M_OVERIDE

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,685 posts
3,560 battles

She is really fun. She has the best turret layout around, and her HE hits hard. If you havet played Conqueror or Lion, the heal alone is worth it.

Gonna be my pick for ranked sprint.:cap_rambo:

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,742 posts
15,454 battles

Nelson is an okay ship thanks to the superheal, but isn't amazing for the following reasons:

1. Has a giant, thinly-plated bow section that can be penned by basically everything
  2. Has an exposed enough citadel that it gets hit regularly
  3. Bow gets overmatched by same-tier battleship guns (16")
  4. Has derpy main battery dispersion
  5. Has AWFUL AP shells
  6. Cannot fire all guns bow-on
  7. Cannot fire backwards
  8. Is kinda slow

[BNKR]
Members
1,330 posts
1,371 battles

The dispersion is pretty wonky and she'll troll you sometimes. She prints Witherer and Dreadnought achievements, and the zombie heal is hilarious. She's slow as well, so you need to decide where to be early and hope the action stays close.

[SUCIT]
Members
348 posts
13,952 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

Nelson is an okay ship thanks to the superheal, but isn't amazing for the following reasons:

1. Has a giant, thinly-plated bow section that can be penned by basically everything
  2. Has an exposed enough citadel that it gets hit regularly
  3. Bow gets overmatched by same-tier battleship guns (16")
  4. Has derpy main battery dispersion
  5. Has AWFUL AP shells
  6. Cannot fire all guns bow-on
  7. Cannot fire backwards
  8. Is kinda slow

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Although for me, points 4 and 5 I haven't noticed, but maybe its because I'm grinding Monarch and I've played Richelieu. Plus, her citadel has a 32mm plate covering it, so angling to most BBs you'll face can result in some bounces, but full bow on against 15in guns or bigger, probably a citadel.

[KRAB]
Members
840 posts
7,295 battles

Nelson is one of those ships which is nearly immune to cruiser and low-caliber battleship weaponry (due to the superheal to shrug off HE damage and the citadel belt being thick enough to defeat most 356mm guns) but is easily exploited by larger caliber guns when in close. 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,533 posts
4,281 battles
  • Has a giant, thinly-plated bow section that can be penned by basically everything
  • Bow gets overmatched by same-tier battleship guns (16")

Not a Nelson-exclusive trait, all tier 7 BBs have that achilles heel. "Basically everything" is really only 15" guns and larger....

Has an exposed enough citadel that it gets hit regularly

I'm agreeable to this, I suppose its that way for balance since anything that's not a citadel is going to get healed back anyway. 

• Has derpy main battery dispersion
  • Has AWFUL AP shells

The Dispersion is not bad but its not earth-shatteringly great. 1.8 sigma and guns grouped tightly together tends to get me the hits I want.
The AP shells are that weird British short-fuse shell that decreases overpens on light targets and increases shatters on faraway battleship belts. I'm not here or there on it, personally, before the AP penetration mechanic change on DDs I landed an 11,000 HP hit on an HSF Harekaze, and similar to a Gaede once. The shells can do work. Either way, I'd say it takes a better understanding of how those short fuses work to get the best out of them and staying flexible with your ammo choices. 

• Cannot fire all guns bow-on
  • Cannot fire backwards

First, only Richielieu and JB get that nice little trait, I don't see the problem there. 
And second, you can, and you don't have to angle much to do it, but yes, you cannot firs straight backwards but thats a trait of the ship and not a balancing choice by WG, so I fail to recognize its relevance to its downsides. 

Is kinda slow

Compared to the Germans and the french yes, but at least it isn't USN Standard slow

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,742 posts
15,454 battles
8 minutes ago, Sledgehammer427 said:
  • Cannot fire backwards

And second, you can, and you don't have to angle much to do it, but yes, you cannot firs straight backwards but thats a trait of the ship and not a balancing choice by WG, so I fail to recognize its relevance to its downsides. 

Being a trait of the ship or not is irrelevant. A downside is a downside.

Beta Testers
634 posts
1,691 battles

Nelson is the most brittle BB in the game. I have seen several full HP Nelsons get deleted by a single salvo from another BB when caught broadside. Their citadel is huge and not well protected. 

It requires good sense for positioning as well as angling, since it is also very slow. Take note also that it's AA sucks, so CVs will be able to pick on you with that slow speed.

It's got a high skill cap and a modertately high skill floor.

[P2W]
Members
349 posts
9,889 battles

It's been good for me in Narai, since most of the ships you face are lower tier. You can rely on the zombie heal to keep you alive without having to be stuck right next to the healing circle, and since you are pretty much only going forward the gun layout is good. Also, at least in that operation I find that the AP does better than the HE, since most targets get killed before they have a chance to burn much, and the AP is good enough against most of the cruisers and lower-tier BBs you face.

Plus, it's just good fun. 

Members
1,182 posts
5,156 battles
4 hours ago, SYST3M_OVERIDE said:

How well does she do in OPs? Can she hold her own? I have all premium UK BBs but Nelson and I want to get the communities advice before pulling the plug.

The Nelson does very well and is a blast to play in the Operation scenario Narai, which is currently the only tier 7 Op that you can queue her up in.

Just keep in mind that if you do take her out in Co-Op or Random matches, here are some Pros and Cons to be aware of:

Pros
1. Very good HE shells that can pen and citadel most cruisers at her tier with the exception of German and Italian (currently) and those shells also have a high fire chance of 46%
2. Good dispersion compared to other battleships of her tier.
3. Special repair party allows you to basically "print a new ship," restoring 60% of your health of normal penetrations and 100% of flooding, fire, ramming and over penetrations. Please note the Repair Party consumable only heals 10% of citadel damage. 

Cons
1. High citadel, that extends above the waterline.
2. 25mm bow armor can be overmatched by guns larger than 356mm leading to citadels even when bow-tanking.
3. Slow acceleration/deceleration, coupled with slow top speed of 24 knots.

The way the Nelson's main guns are mounted is a pro and a con. While having all 9 of your main guns mounted in 3 turrets up front means you can keep your bow on towards the enemy, if they get behind you, you can find yourself in a pickle.

Here is @LittleWhiteMouse's guide/review to the HMS Nelson