Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Old_Baldy_One

Base Capping Mechanics - Defense

13 comments in this topic

[SOFOP]
Members
1,249 posts
8,810 battles

I've been looking this weekend a bit and trying to find definitive information on base capping, specifically how the "reset" process works and could not find anything, even in the wiki.

Here is how I think things work in a standard game match (the only way I can make things match up with what I have seen in game):

• 1 Ship In Cap:  Needs 180 capture points (which will take 3 undisturbed minutes to get).
  • 2 Ships in Cap:  Needs a combined 240 capture points (which will take them a total of 2 minutes to get, undisturbed) OR one ship to get 180 individual capture points.
  • 3 or more ships in cap:  Any combination of ships needs to get to 240 OR a single ship gets to 180.
  • Damage:  Each hit against a ship reduces their cap total by half.
  • Defense Ribbons: given if the ship has more than 5% of the capture points needed.
  • Any enemy can stop the cap points, but the cap points are only reset on damage.

If this is correct, then it should never take more than 3 minutes to cap, unless you take damage or an enemy blocks you (some people have said it took more than 3 minutes when they didn't take damage).  This also means that, if a BB enters the cap when a DD is already there, and takes constant fire, it really isn't slowing down the cap at all (it will still take 3 minutes, just as it would without the BB there - you just get to watch the timer jump).  the only way this would change is if the above scenario is worng and there is some sort of shared pool, but I don't think there is.

If someone can confirm I have this straight, I'd appreciate it.  I apologize in advance if this is documented, I could not find it.

@Kami Maybe a good topic for "how it works".

Beta Testers
1,322 posts
16,125 battles
57 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

This also means that, if a BB enters the cap when a DD is already there, and takes constant fire, it really isn't slowing down the cap at all (it will still take 3 minutes, just as it would without the BB there - you just get to watch the timer jump). 

Not sure what you mean here, if both the dd and the bb are same team but the only one seen and taking hits is the BB then yes the DD will end up capping though the BB takes multiple hits. If the DD is red and unseen and friendly BB enters cap he blocks DD from capping until the BB either leaves or is dead.

Defender must hit "all" ships in a cap including the primary to continue to block cap.

[NGAGE]
Members
3,597 posts
8,673 battles

• Any enemy can stop the cap points, but the cap points are only reset on damage.

you can get resets for near misses, too. Occasionally you get a reset without a hit.

[SOFOP]
Members
1,249 posts
8,810 battles
28 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

Not sure what you mean here, if both the dd and the bb are same team but the only one seen and taking hits is the BB then yes the DD will end up capping though the BB takes multiple hits. If the DD is red and unseen and friendly BB enters cap he blocks DD from capping until the BB either leaves or is dead.

Defender must hit "all" ships in a cap including the primary to continue to block cap.

People yell at others in game that they are slowing down the cap by taking fire while being in the cap.  If the above is right, then they aren't really slowing down the cap, they are just making their presence in the cap moot.

[WOLFG]
Members
5,977 posts
3,841 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

you can get resets for near misses, too. Occasionally you get a reset without a hit.

A definite Whut? moment.

[RNJR]
Members
282 posts
4,786 battles

As a DD when im caping the enemy base if i have a friendly who has terrible concealment joins me and they keep getting hit they are resetting the progress i have made.

If only they just stay outside the base leave me inside the base i can stay concealed or in desperation use a smoke and capture the base while friendly BB divisionmate holds them off outside the base. 

[B_Y_F]
Members
385 posts
9,074 battles
1 hour ago, Old_Baldy_One said:
  • 1 Ship In Cap:  Needs 180 capture points (which will take 3 undisturbed minutes to get).
  • 2 Ships in Cap:  Needs a combined 240 capture points (which will take them a total of 2 minutes to get, undisturbed) OR one ship to get 180 individual capture points.
  • 3 or more ships in cap:  Any combination of ships needs to get to 240 OR a single ship gets to 180.
  • Damage:  Each hit against a ship reduces their cap total by half.
  • Defense Ribbons: given if the ship has more than 5% of the capture points needed.

I assume you're talking about standard battle. 

1 correct

2 only 1.5 min is needed so in your words is still 180.

3 only combination of any two ships will count. The cap shows the biggest combination. 

4 any hit( even HE explosion counts, no damage needed) take out 90 point, or whatever your left point( no negative) 

5 not sure, I once got more than two defence with one Salvo in a BB. 

6 correct, red in cap only block you getting more points. 

[_RNG_]
Members
709 posts
5,625 battles
31 minutes ago, Swift_Scythe said:

if i have a friendly who has terrible concealment joins me and they keep getting hit they are resetting the progress i have made.

Are you certain that is true? As I understand it, I will continue to make progress as long as I never get hit and there are no Red ships in the cap.

I could be wrong.

I have always thought that it's actually good for a third ship (especially a BB) to join me (and another concealed ship) in the cap because they will draw all the fire and make the Red team think they have the situation under control. They will keep their distance and just keep shooting my ally but since they don't see me in my sneaky DD, they aren't actually stopping me from capping.

Am I wrong?

[B_Y_F]
Members
385 posts
9,074 battles
13 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

Are you certain that is true? As I understand it, I will continue to make progress as long as I never get hit and there are no Red ships in the cap.

I could be wrong.

I have always thought that it's actually good for a third ship (especially a BB) to join me (and another concealed ship) in the cap because they will draw all the fire and make the Red team think they have the situation under control. They will keep their distance and just keep shooting my ally but since they don't see me in my sneaky DD, they aren't actually stopping me from capping.

Am I wrong?

You are right. Just stay away from that BB and make sure no HE splash touch you then the cap will be yours in 3 min. 

[SOFOP]
Members
1,249 posts
8,810 battles
51 minutes ago, Swift_Scythe said:

If only they just stay outside the base leave me inside the base i can stay concealed or in desperation use a smoke and capture the base while friendly BB divisionmate holds them off outside the base. 

Thats actually a point Im trying to clarify.

I'm pretty sure they are not costing you YOUR progress, they are just resetting you back to where your progress would have been had they never entered the cap.  Your progress toward the 180 cap can only be reset if you get reset by damage or whatever.

[-KAK-]
Members
359 posts
7,739 battles
47 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

I'm pretty sure they are not costing you YOUR progress, they are just resetting you back to where your progress would have been had they never entered the cap.  Your progress toward the 180 cap can only be reset if you get reset by damage or whatever.

That's correct. It looks like the overall progress is delayed because the game registers a second ship in the cap (So it thinks it only takes 1.5m or so to cap), but in reality it's no different than the stealth'd DD caping solo.

Beta Testers
1,322 posts
16,125 battles
1 hour ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

People yell at others in game that they are slowing down the cap by taking fire while being in the cap.  If the above is right, then they aren't really slowing down the cap, they are just making their presence in the cap moot.

Exactly right...the "unseen" DD is still capping at the rate that one ship would normally cap and the BB taking hits has zero effect on that.  Done it myself many times.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
1,783 posts
8,653 battles

Your progress isn't reset when another ship in the cap is damaged.  It sometimes looks like your time is being reset, because you are seeing the combined time of all ships in the cap, including the one being hit.  When another ship gets hit, the remaining cap time is increased and it looks like your time is increased, but it is just because their portion of the remaining time is added to the total.

You can halt someone from capping your base by being in the base.  You can also deny the enemy base from accumulating points by being in their base, even if you can't cap it.

Splash damage is a thing too.  A close shot can register a hit that deals 0 damage because there is no penetration, but it can still reset a cap counter.

Sign in to follow this