You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Incomitatus

Karma loss

30 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
262 posts
2,076 battles

Just a bit of a short rant...

In my last two games, I've lost 3 karma, which means a minimum of 5 reports.

I haven't chatted, not that I'm toxic in chat anyway.

I haven't done anything recklessly noobish or stupid.

I haven't been playing a CV.

Both games were losses, but I played well, came in top of team in one of them.

I'm confused... and a bit annoyed.

• Boring 1

[OO7]
Members
5,269 posts
12,088 battles

Letting yourself be annoyed about something that means nothing sounds pretty silly if you ask me. 

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 1

[TORCH]
Members
200 posts
8,464 battles

Karma is, to me, at least, a complete mystery.  No idea how you get it or loose it, or what it means.  I only just learned a couple days ago how you even find your karma to know how much you have.  I just looked, and like you, I've gone down two points since I last checked.  Why, or what it means (or why I should care)...not a clue.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,159 posts
9,503 battles

Karma only means something to the players with giant egos that rival the size of Jupiter

[OO7]
Members
5,269 posts
12,088 battles
5 minutes ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

Karma is, to me, at least, a complete mystery.  No idea how you get it or loose it, or what it means.  I only just learned a couple days ago how you even find your karma to know how much you have.  I just looked, and like you, I've gone down two points since I last checked.  Why, or what it means (or why I should care)...not a clue.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/180198-how-to-farm-karma-comprehensive-guide/

[WOLFG]
Members
262 posts
2,076 battles
6 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Letting yourself be annoyed about something that means nothing sounds pretty silly if you ask me. 

I wouldn't say it means nothing. It's judgement. Are you good at the game? Are you toxic? Are you fun to play with?

Granted, it's a very rough guide, but... I generally assume that if my karma is going down, by more than a point here or there, I'm doing something wrong.

[OO7]
Members
5,269 posts
12,088 battles
Just now, Incomitatus said:

I wouldn't say it means nothing. It's judgement. Are you good at the game? Are you toxic? Are you fun to play with?

Granted, it's a very rough guide, but... I generally assume that if my karma is going down, by more than a point here or there, I'm doing something wrong.

It could mean you are doing something right and ticking off enemy players by killing them effectively. 

I take positive karma as a job well done. I take negative karma as a better job done. 

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[FML]
Members
2,871 posts
12,773 battles
22 minutes ago, Incomitatus said:

I have seen you in a few battles tonight - you have played well, and I didnt see any ranting indeed. 

Alas, I didnt report you so you're going to have to find someone else...

• Cool 1

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
1,800 posts
8,692 battles
24 minutes ago, Incomitatus said:

I lose more Karma in games I play well in, than in games I don't.  Karma really doesn't man anything.

[DFNT]
Members
187 posts
3,735 battles
4 minutes ago, Incomitatus said:

Don't always assume you did something wrong to get that -1. You did or did not do something that someone else thought was wrong. 

[TBW]
Members
8,041 posts
14,655 battles

Karma is singular, meaning if someone compliments you +1, if someone reports you in game or gives you a plays poorly -1, CV players have been getting negative Karma since the rework, there are some sniveling CV haters out there and they don't want CVs in game, so they immaturely downvote CV players every game.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Angry 1

[HDR]
Beta Testers
274 posts
5,260 battles
11 minutes ago, Incomitatus said:

Or ....you did something right. /mic drop

Really though nothing to think on unless your getting like dozens everyday.

[HDR]
Beta Testers
274 posts
5,260 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Karma is singular meaning if some compliments you +1 if someone reports you in game or gives you a plays poorly -1, CV players have been getting negative Karma since release, there are some sniveling CV haters out there and they don't want CVs in game, so they immaturely downvote CV players every game.

Fixed that for ya!

• Cool 1

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles
15 minutes ago, Incomitatus said:

Wrong.  When I drive my asashio I get reported for simply playing.  Land too many torps...get reported.  No chat, not spamming  commands or map, no nothing.  I'm sure people are reported for absolutely no valid reason.  Karma really does mean nothing and it is not even worth looking at.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
262 posts
2,076 battles
5 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Karma is singular, meaning if some compliments you +1, if someone reports you in game or gives you a plays poorly -1, CV players have been getting negative Karma since the rework, there are some sniveling CV haters out there and they don't want CVs in game, so they immaturely downvote CV players every game.

My understanding is that one compliment = +1 karma, but it takes two reports to lose a point of karma.

[TBW]
Members
8,041 posts
14,655 battles
5 minutes ago, berree said:

Fixed that for ya!

Yeah, I guess CVs have been the red headed stepchild since the beginning.

[O7]
Members
1,199 posts
14,517 battles

The only benefit of karma is the ability to report 11 people instead of 7.

[CK5]
Members
1,084 posts
9,838 battles
58 minutes ago, Incomitatus said:

My understanding is that one compliment = +1 karma, but it takes two reports to lose a point of karma.

Nope, one down vote means one karma point loss.  Two reports simply means you get NOTIFIED that you lost karma.  As it stands now, you are not notified of a single down vote (and karma loss) unless you check.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/052-arrives-patch-notes/

Check the section under Karma changes.  

By the way, to all those who say karma is meaningless, if it matters to players, then it means something. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,441 posts
16,847 battles
1 hour ago, Incomitatus said:

I wouldn't say it means nothing.

It means nothing.

It's judgement.

It's the judgement of the people who play the game ….. and you can see how well they do that.

Are you good at the game? Are you toxic? Are you fun to play with?

Do you care?

Granted, it's a very rough guide

Not if you ignore it.

I generally assume that if my karma is going down, by more than a point here or there, I'm doing something wrong.

Why on earth would you assume that?

Karma means NOTHING; less than a flock of imaginary "attaboys" floating on the breezes of public opinion. If you aren't a good player, forget worrying about the opinions of others and concentrate on getting better; if you ARE a good player, why do you care what a sack full of potatoes thinks?

Beta Testers
873 posts

If you have a really good game, you can get downvoted.  Happens to me anyway.  Petty and dumb, but since it’s meaningless, well....

I’m currently at 53, so thanks to those who upvoted me.  I upvote when anyone has a great game, and I run out.  I don’t understand why you have such limited upvotes.  I do not downvote very often, unless someone is very disruptive or being a complete tool.

The only affect is on your own psyche.... nothing more.  Nobody but you sees your karma far as I know.

Edited by Capt_of_Satisfaction
  • Cool 1

[SIC]
Members
89 posts
4,128 battles
2 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

It could mean you are doing something right and ticking off enemy players by killing them effectively. 

I take positive karma as a job well done. I take negative karma as a better job done. 

That would just mean you dont think you mess up. In turn having a massive ego. 

Just my opinion tho.

Edited by emmapulido

[NMKJT]
Members
3,767 posts

In my Harekaze against a Missouri. I launch torpedoes, they hit, he sinks. I lose karma for it because I didn't say in chat I was launching torpedoes first

Yeah, don't worry about it.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,096 posts
5,794 battles

It makes people feel like they are reporting or doing something, when in reality it is meaningless.  You can be top of your team and lose 2 karma, does that sound meaningful?  Karma reduces support tickets period.  That is it's sole purpose.  Without people would flood support with complaints. 

Beta Testers
1,332 posts
16,165 battles
2 hours ago, Incomitatus said:

Yeah...no there are way too many ways to lose karma....play well and someone on the enemy team that you killed gives you a nice neg present. Play well and no one on your team gives a positive vote.

Do something that the player on your team that just died didn't like, neg vote. (even though by end of game you are top score).

1 hour ago, Umikami said:

Karma means NOTHING; less than a flock of imaginary "attaboys" floating on the breezes of public opinion. If you aren't a good player, forget worrying about the opinions of others and concentrate on getting better; if you ARE a good player, why do you care what a sack full of potatoes thinks?

This is exactly true...I used to crave positive karma points , I thought it was a measure of my skill with the game. I would smoke for team mates, spot the enemy, screen BBs for incoming torps and get nothing but neg karma from dead reds. Then Asashio was born ....instant neg karma, play a CV? watch karma go down like a landslide.

I have long held that if we must have a Karma system then we should be restricted to giving positive karma only.

Members
23,232 posts
5,865 battles
2 hours ago, Incomitatus said:

You're doing something wrong whether your karma goes down or not. It just depends on your performance which team considers you as doing something wrong.