Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Awe5ome

World of Warships Premiums & their Prices

18 comments in this topic

[PHU]
Members
90 posts
5,190 battles

So this is an idea I have had for a while... ok 10 minutes. Anyways, War Gaming as a company needs to earn money however I'm pretty sure that most of you would agree that premium ships are really expensive. And I think that if WG were to lower their prices it would bring a significant amount of new people to the game and more revenue for WG to continue development on this game. However, we all know that lowering prices will bring a bunch of noobs into the game who will buy a high tier premium jump into a match, die and then complain in the forums. My idea is this, WG already collects data on how many battles you have played and at what tiers you've played at. So let's say a brand new player called Joe begins the game, he can buy a premium of any tier for the price that is listed now. However, let's say that over Joe grinds up to T5 now he has some game experience and experience playing a T5 ship. This would mean that Joe could buy a premium T5 and down for a discounted price, my pricing would be (and WG can change this if they decide to use this idea) is 15% for reaching the tier and -5$ off after exceeding 5000 games. Using this the 20$ Marblehead becomes 13$. This system will allow for Community Contributors who buy every single new premium to purchase ships cheaper than someone who just downloaded the game.

The prices would range out like this: (please keep in mind that these are just average prices for the most expensive ships that are available to buy. Also I'm using CAD)

T9  B: 100$             A: 80$

T8  B: 70$               A: 54.50$

T7  B: 50$               A: 37.50$

T6  B: 40$               A: 29$

T5: B: 30$               A: 20.50$

Anything below T5 is exempt from this, the prices are already low enough. I think if WG decided to do this then we'd see a rise in game population and more people would be willing to spend money on premium ships. Not to mention people like Notser who have invested tons of money into this game, giving them a lower price would help immensely with content creation. Please let me know what you think of this idea, would you like to see it implemented into the game? Would you change anything about it? If you do think that this should be looked into, please like this, I'd greatly appreciate it. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 5

Members
676 posts
17,622 battles

Not a bad idea.

Personally, however, anything above $30 for a pixel ship is a non-starter for me. It's just not worth the cost.

I can buy The Witcher 3 and its expansions for around $50 and get at least 200 hours of unbridled joy out of it. More likely 400+ hours because of the replayability value. I have a number of premium ships 90% of which I have never played more than maybe 2 hours total and my experience was mixed at best. They just collect virtual dust in there. I'm sure the overwhelming majority of the player base is familiar with what I'm talking about.

$60-$80 is bona fide AAA game territory. I mean Cyberpunk 2077 is $64 right now on GOG and it comes with a bunch of additional goodies. It objectively doesn't make sense to pay that much -or more- for an in-game good with extremely limited utility. The cost vs. benefit analysis is highly skewed against WG on this front.

That being said, I keep seeing a ton of high tier premiums in the game. Pretty sure not all of them are acquired through Free XP or coal.

So, this'd probably be a good deal for them.

Edited by yacskn
  • Cool 3

[REEF]
Beta Testers
858 posts
9,524 battles

Ok, I have quite a few premiums but I have decided I won't pay more than $50 for a premium ship which has caused me some angst as I REALLY wanted a ship, but, it was too expensive.  I would buy more premiums if they cost less, I'm sure that is the case with many players.  I can't afford to buy every new ship, I wish I did, but I don't, so I choose carefully.  :cap_hmm:

So, I like the idea of lowering the prices, however I think the implementation of a system restricting premiums could be unfair.  From what I have seen those that buy a premium and then discover they are in over their heads quickly retreat to Co-Op games until they are ready to re-enter the fray of Random battles.  So, it basically polices itself in most instances, not always, but usually!  Besides I can get in a high tier Premium and go into battle and fail miserably at any time, so it's not always the noobs causing the problems.  :Smile_hiding:

[REEF]
Beta Testers
858 posts
9,524 battles
5 minutes ago, yacskn said:

Not a bad idea.

Personally, however, anything above $30 for a pixel ship is a non-starter for me. It's just not worth the cost.

I can buy The Witcher 3 and its expansions for around $50 and get at least 200 hours of unbridled joy out of it. More likely 400 hours because of the replayability value. I have a number of premium ships 90% of which I have never played more than maybe 2 hours total and my experience was mixed at best. They just collect virtual dust in there. I'm sure the overwhelming majority of the player base is familiar with what I'm talking about.

The cost vs. benefit analysis is highly skewed against WG on this front.

That being said, I keep seeing a ton of high tier premiums in the game. Pretty sure not all of them are acquired through Free XP or coal.

So, this'd probably be a good deal for them.

Does a swiffer duster still work on the ships collecting the virtual dust or do I need something digital/virtual to get rid of that dust?    :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Members
10,236 posts
4,366 battles
1 hour ago, Awe5ome said:

I think if WG decided to do this then we'd see a rise in game population

Whatever the other merits of your idea, this doesn't seem to follow.  Prospective new players don't discover the price of premium ships until they start playing.  Therefore, the prices have no impact on the number of new players.  And established players don't quit because they can't afford to buy gold-plated ships. 

So how does your idea affect the game population?

[UMP]
Members
251 posts
4,300 battles
2 hours ago, Awe5ome said:

Also I'm using CAD

So basically free for USD?   ~_^

Members
676 posts
17,622 battles
36 minutes ago, FlashTX1 said:

Does a swiffer duster still work on the ships collecting the virtual dust or do I need something digital/virtual to get rid of that dust?    :Smile_trollface:

Wouldn't be surprised if WG has a virtual duster pack you can get for $20 on the Premium Shop.

• Funny 1

[TCNNA]
Members
957 posts
16,599 battles

What about an action house? 

A place where players can sell for gold ships they do not want anymore.

Just Wg keep 25% for the selling price

[_-_]
Members
2,231 posts
2 hours ago, yacskn said:

Wouldn't be surprised if WG has a virtual duster pack you can get for $20 on the Premium Shop.

Well played.

[HINON]
Members
11,212 posts
59 minutes ago, Mikebello said:

What about an action house? 

A place where players can sell for gold ships they do not want anymore.

Just Wg keep 25% for the selling price

The doubloon prices for everything will then increase to compensate for the glut of that currency.  Also you wouldn't be able to sell the ships to other players because that opens the door for hackers and gold sellers.

• Cool 1

[TCNNA]
Members
957 posts
16,599 battles
34 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

The doubloon prices for everything will then increase to compensate for the glut of that currency.  Also you wouldn't be able to sell the ships to other players because that opens the door for hackers and gold sellers.

If a ship is 3000 gold (ex Murmansk)new I can sell for 2500. I will get 1875 and Wg 625.

I will get some gold back, for a ship I do not use anymore, someone buy with a discount and Wg get sell 2500 gold and get 625 back also.

Many games have auction house with in game currency.

Regards

[ARGSY]
Members
12,931 posts
8,245 battles

At the moment, if you sell a premium off and you have regrets, you can get it back if you put in a ticket and you have the credits and the port slot to cover the exchange.

If you sold it to another player, that door would be closed. I think some people would realise that only too late, and the salt spilled would be a vortex of terrifying proportions.

[TCNNA]
Members
957 posts
16,599 battles
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

At the moment, if you sell a premium off and you have regrets, you can get it back if you put in a ticket and you have the credits and the port slot to cover the exchange.

If you sold it to another player, that door would be closed. I think some people would realise that only too late, and the salt spilled would be a vortex of terrifying proportions.

There are many premium I will sell without problem. 

If I regret maybe I can find back to action house

So same ship sold 3 times 😁

Beta Testers
3,224 posts
12,937 battles

The game is far to expense for the issues they have at hand, it is simply not even worth it anymore, other games can provide better entertainment at a lower overall cost, where as with here, you are simply up against the same broken mess they have dumped on us.

[PVE]
Members
800 posts
6,227 battles

OP's idea might help many current players crack open their wallets. I have not spent money on a ship for quite some time, maybe a year or so. My last several were bought with FXP or coal; or won in an event. If that avenue was not available I would not have bought any ships at all. There are a solid dozen tech tree ships in my port that I would simply play more of if I didn't have my premiums.

With how many issues this game has though, I am done spending money. So many good ships are set at T8, a tier I don't enjoy with its MM so I don't spend time or money there. 

If Lazo was $15, I might have been tempted though.... But alas I am spending more time in other games and didn't want her enough to grind out the points to unlock her and I have Molotov and now Murmansk for captain training anyway.

[O_O]
Members
5,325 posts
12,239 battles

I have always said that upper tier ships (T6 and above) are WAY too expensive.  I have 75 premium ships, and 170 total ships.  How much playing time do you think I can get on one particular ship when my fleet is that large?  I may play a dozen or so with a newly bought premium because it is 'new', but after that, in all reality, I won't play it THAT much unless it is just something special.  So, with that in mind, it makes zero sense for me to pay $30+ for a single ship.  I'm just not going to do it.

I will still spend money on this game, however.  I will probably buy another year of premium time this Christmas (for 50% off!).  Similarly, I will still buy premium ships IF THEY ARE ON SALE.  But, I just can't justify $30+ for a single piece of content that just won't get used that much.

So, OP's idea has merit in my case.  As an experienced player, reduce the cost of high tier premiums to entice me.  However, this would undoubtedly cause rage with inexperienced players who will claim preferential treatment, pay to win, racism, sexism, emotional distress, xenophobia, etc.

[DTB]
Members
264 posts

The most I've paid for a ship was ~$15. It, along with the other two, came in a pack of three with 30% off on Steam. This is the most I'll ever pay and I probably won't do it again.

After all - the premium ships aren't any better than the tech tree ships.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
639 posts
12,898 battles

I bought the Huang he or however it's spelled recently for $6.99 on sale and felt that was worth it. Haven't paid for a ship other than that with cash for at least a year or more. The direction the game has been taking isn't inspiring any confidence to do so. Ships for coal or free XP like the Jean Bart or Alaska is the way to go for me at least. Or, this.....

Image result for spending money on game transactions meme

Thank you Mr. Frye, well said sir. 

Sign in to follow this