You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

DD candidates for Tier 7 Ranked Sprint

70 comments in this topic

[CUTER]
Members
2,858 posts
12,043 battles

Going to start dropping the videos here, followed by a general over view.  My intent is to cover how to play them, as well as areas they are weak.  The initial videos are so players get a fresh look at what a particular ship is capable of in the current meta.  What ships do you will feel strong this season?  What do you expect to see out of the meta?

Starting with the Royal Navy Honey Badger Jervis:

• Cool 5

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,751 posts
18,164 battles

Gahdja Mada for the win 🏆 

• Cool 1

[ARMDG]
[ARMDG]
Members
767 posts
3,287 battles

I'll be driving the Jervis I just bought and spec'ed a week ago. Used to play a lot of her and played a lot of Lightning too.

I like Hood's voicelines on the Jervis. They're calming.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,490 posts
10,561 battles

I have a feeling Ranked Sprint T7 is going to be a Atlanta, Flint, Belfast fest

• Cool 2

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
865 posts
7,444 battles

If I play with dds, I'll use Haida. But I'll probably default to using the Flint.

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
3,559 posts
5,062 battles

Heard alot of talk on Z-39 being a pretty good pick for the Sprint; excellent concealment and Z-46 Hydro could make her pretty strong.

Other than that I think Sims will have a spot as usual. If there are many Flints/Belfasts/Atlantas I can see some of the gunboats like Leningrad or Blyska even getting a bit of use.

[USCG]
Members
398 posts
15,281 battles

I was looking at running Jervis or Haida for ranked sprints. Gahdja Mada is strong but the deep water torps have limited use. I also dusted off my Z-39 a few days ago and had a monster match in her even in a tier 9 game. Strong guns, solid torps and hydro...nice. 

[CUTER]
Members
2,858 posts
12,043 battles

The what is concealment build Leningrad:

This ship is going to be pretty versatile playing either like a Khaba as I do above, or Grozovoy with a decent potential max concealment of 6.6km.

[BIER]
Members
230 posts
4,323 battles

I hate to say this, but T7 Ranked is looking like a pay-to-win fest, all over the place.

There's simply far too many overpowered/unbalanced T7 ships, particularly if you force everything to be T7.   DDs are particularly bad here, but Cruisers also have the problem, big time.

I comprehend why WG allows Premiums in Ranked (it's all about the cash), but it's really a bad idea for the game as a whole.

• Cool 2

[CUTER]
Members
2,858 posts
12,043 battles
10 hours ago, LAnybody said:

I hate to say this, but T7 Ranked is looking like a pay-to-win fest, all over the place.

There's simply far too many overpowered/unbalanced T7 ships, particularly if you force everything to be T7.   DDs are particularly bad here, but Cruisers also have the problem, big time.

I comprehend why WG allows Premiums in Ranked (it's all about the cash), but it's really a bad idea for the game as a whole.

Radar wise you bet.  No excuses can be made.  Why cant US CA start with radar at T7 and introduce the longer range Russian radar at T8?

DD wise its not that bad, it was much worse before.  Buffed Mahan is a beast, Jervis and Gadjah are both every bit as good as the premiums as well.  The best counter to Belfast spam again is tech tree ships, Shiratsuyu and Akatsuki to flood any smoke with torps from safety.

T7 used to be known as the P2W tier, but that has died off a bit with the strong premiums getting creeped themselves.  Belfast is a notable exception.

[TDG]
Members
1,660 posts
8,568 battles

Leningrad was a strong counter to Belfast in the last Tier 7 Ranked season.

The Tier 7 DDs are fairly effective when they do not compete with Tier 8 DDs w/Concealment Mod.

Haida will be strong in the hands of those that know how to leverage its strengths.

Thanks for the videos, they have been quite useful in demonstrating possible application of each ship.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,490 posts
10,561 battles

With no CV's this could free up the (eggshell fragile) Indianapolis with radar AND  hydro acoustic. Decent hitting 8" rifles but brace for Pensacola type detonations if your discovered.

Members
1,957 posts
10,395 battles
51 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

With no CV's this could free up the (eggshell fragile) Indianapolis with radar AND  hydro acoustic. Decent hitting 8" rifles but brace for Pensacola type detonations if your discovered.

Hey

For cruisers; don't write off Boise or it's Pan-Asian twin.  15 guns and hydro is potent on any DD.  For DD's their is lots of good choices, should be interesting;  Haida,  Leningrad,  Z39, and never rule out Blyska.

Pete

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,490 posts
10,561 battles
2 minutes ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

For cruisers; don't write off Boise or it's Pan-Asian twin.  15 guns and hydro is potent on any DD.  For DD's their is lots of good choices, should be interesting;  Haida,  Leningrad,  Z39, and never rule out Blyska.

Pete

Oh yeah, I've heard good things about both those ships you mentioned. Some members in our clan are debating whether or not to pick them up.

Members
1,957 posts
10,395 battles
4 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Oh yeah, I've heard good things about both those ships you mentioned. Some members in our clan are debating whether or not to pick them up.

Hey

I have both and because they are technically the same; I would get the Boise.  Run a speed flag and fire flags, hydro works good for DD work.  Fun boats.

Pete

[CUTER]
Members
2,858 posts
12,043 battles

An interesting hybrid.  Possibly the best hybrid at this tier.  BTW swapped my screen back to full screen windowed in the settings and it fixed some of my questionable shots.

[CUTER]
Members
2,858 posts
12,043 battles

USS Save-A-Star, going to be a very popular choices especially after the recent buff.

Blyskawica, one of the best gunboats at this tier.  Avoid scouting against sneakier DDs that have back up, and punish things with your guns and fire chance.  This video I hold back three BBs, killing two, stopping the enemy's main push cold.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai
  • Cool 1

[CAG-1]
Members
1,791 posts

HMCS Haida will hands down trump any DD out there. That thing is hell on high water. To be honest I'm surprised it hasn't been pulled from the store.

[CUTER]
Members
2,858 posts
12,043 battles
1 hour ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

HMCS Haida will hands down trump any DD out there. That thing is hell on high water. To be honest I'm surprised it hasn't been pulled from the store.

It has clear weaknesses.  

It sucks in a kiting fight because the kiting arcs are nearly the worst in the tier, it suffers as ranges open up beyond 7km, and its really vulnerable for about 50 seconds after its smoke goes on cool down.

Even something like Sims or Mahan getting it from an unexpected angle is going to work her over regardless of smoke.

Another way to beat her is to out damage her, giving your team an advantage in firepower.  Haida is a cap control DD fighter for the most part.  Kill her CA and BBs and she is nearly incapable of stopping a CA or BB push unless she gets lucky with her few torps.

• Cool 2