Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Fenrir

Inadvertent Yamato Nerf

20 comments in this topic

[BAND]
Members
3 posts
1,498 battles

Did they accidentally Nerf Yamato?

I have been playing IJN Yamato for almost 2 years, and since I have used it with the reworked armor scheme and redesigned hull, it feels weaker. They claimed in the forums that it would have little to no effect of the game, however, I have noticed that I am getting hit hard from areas that used to bounce shells, and torpedoes have consistently caused more major damage regardless of saturation. Also, my engine is constantly getting knocked out or the rudder broken from torps hitting almost the center of the ship, where the torpedo bulge used to cover. I know that it allows you to heal 50% of lost health rather than 10%, but there is now a missing 6% where the bulge used to keep damage away. It makes the alpha damage from torpedoes far more deadly against it without the coverage. What are your guys thoughts on it, I have noticed many Yamato users either throwing away the beauty, or sitting so far back that regardless of accuracy, they struggle to contribute. Is it a good change, or is it an unnecessary Nerf to an already shafted nation in certain areas?

I am recording more and more, when I find a good example of the armor change affecting games I will upload it here.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[RKLES]
Members
9,556 posts
11,477 battles

Of course Yamato was Nerfed! Just look how many CVs have been running around, that is a clear nerfing of Yamato... :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Members
2,611 posts
9,799 battles

Very recently I was able to sneak up on Yamato and put all 10 torps into it in Grozovoi.  I have to say, it held up rather nicely, and put up quite a fight after this event.  It has to say something about it’s armor scheme.

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
517 posts
52 minutes ago, Captain_Fenrir said:

Did they accidentally Nerf Yamato?

I have been playing IJN Yamato for almost 2 years, and since I have used it with the reworked armor scheme and redesigned hull, it feels weaker. They claimed in the forums that it would have little to no effect of the game, however, I have noticed that I am getting hit hard from areas that used to bounce shells, and torpedoes have consistently caused more major damage regardless of saturation. Also, my engine is constantly getting knocked out or the rudder broken from torps hitting almost the center of the ship, where the torpedo bulge used to cover. I know that it allows you to heal 50% of lost health rather than 10%, but there is now a missing 6% where the bulge used to keep damage away. It makes the alpha damage from torpedoes far more deadly against it without the coverage. What are your guys thoughts on it, I have noticed many Yamato users either throwing away the beauty, or sitting so far back that regardless of accuracy, they struggle to contribute. Is it a good change, or is it an unnecessary Nerf to an already shafted nation in certain areas?

I am recording more and more, when I find a good example of the armor change affecting games I will upload it here.

Imo she sits too high off the water Yamato was big and all that but her earlier model was sleeker and sat lower than the Musashi did. In the water. Now both look like Cruise ships instead. But that's just on the visiual side if things .as far as it taking a beating she's good as long as that big side doesn't come out and play .

Edited by Versili

[HELLS]
Members
2,256 posts
21,328 battles

They adjusted the armor scheme to match Musashi when they upgraded the 3D model of the Yamato. The torpedo protection got nerfed and the armor placement ajustment renders her more susceptible to damage bows on and broadside. Not by much, but it is noticeable. Welcome to WG, where change is so rampant that the ship you just ground so hard for gets nerfed the week after you buy her....

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016
  • Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
2,385 posts
2,982 battles
20 minutes ago, Versili said:

Imo she sits too high off the water Yamato was big and all that but her earlier model was sleeker and sat lower than the Musashi did. In the water. Now both look like Cruise ships instead. But that's just on the visiual side if things .as far as it taking a beating she's good as long as that big side doesn't come out and play .

There's a reason they called her Hotel Yamato you know.

As a Montana player, I have noticed no difference in my ability to damage Yamatos. The citadel is still easy to hit, still has some weird angles, and still bounces shells if you don't hit it right. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the armor change affected the Yamato's protection in a small way. Remember the AP change that inadvertently allowed underwater pens, allowing citadel hits on Conquerors, Republics, and Grober Kurfursts?

• Cool 1

[VETSN]
Members
650 posts
5,491 battles
3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

As a Montana player, I have noticed no difference in my ability to damage Yamatos. The citadel is still easy to hit, still has some weird angles, and still bounces shells if you don't hit it right. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the armor change affected the Yamato's protection in a small way. Remember the AP change that inadvertently allowed underwater pens, allowing citadel hits on Conquerors, Republics, and Grober Kurfursts?

Which should still happen.

[WOLFC]
Members
616 posts
5,094 battles
24 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Welcome to WG, where change is so rampant that the ship you just ground so hard for gets nerfed the week after you buy her....

If it really was nerfed, tech tree ships are susceptible to nerfs at any time. And I can't see WG not announcing if they nerfed it, because they have literally nothing to gain from doing so and it would only enrage a certain part of the player base.

[NSC]
Members
1,198 posts
Just now, Nevermore135 said:

If it really was nerfed, tech tree ships are susceptible to nerfs at any time. And I can't see WG not announcing if they nerfed it, because they have literally nothing to gain from doing so and it would only enrage a certain part of the player base.

@Radar_X apologized for the oversight. No announcement was made due to problems with internal communication on WG's part. It was unintentional.

[WOLFC]
Members
616 posts
5,094 battles
2 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

@Radar_X apologized for the oversight. No announcement was made due to problems with internal communication on WG's part. It was unintentional.

I remember that the new Yamato model had some changes to the torpedo protection layout that made it inferior to Musashi, but I remember WG acknowledging it and ensuring that it would be adjusted to match Musashi.

Did I miss something?

[NSC]
Members
1,198 posts
4 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

I remember that the new Yamato model had some changes to the torpedo protection layout that made it inferior to Musashi, but I remember WG acknowledging it and ensuring that it would be adjusted to match Musashi.

Did I miss something?

That's exactly what happened.

• Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
388 posts
35 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

the ship you just ground so hard for gets nerfed the week after you buy her....

Truer words were never spoken.

[FTH]
Members
999 posts
14,312 battles
22 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

Hotel Yamato??

Actually, the reason they called her that if I remember right was it hardly ever left port because of the fuel consumption.

Although if we're talking about nicknames for Yam since she almost never left port, I was always partial to the ones that called her the Admirals Yacht.

[NSC]
Members
1,198 posts
5 minutes ago, Purg473 said:

Actually, the reason they called her that if I remember right was it hardly ever left port because of the fuel consumption.

Although if we're talking about nicknames for Yam since she almost never left port, I was always partial to the ones that called her the Admirals Yacht.

I see, thanks for sharing!

[WOLF5]
Members
2,385 posts
2,982 battles
10 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

Hotel Yamato??

Yes. The Yamato had luxurious accommodations compared to other IJN warships, especially for the admiral, so she was nicknamed Hotel Yamato by the IJN sailors. 

[NSC]
Members
1,198 posts
7 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Yes. The Yamato had luxurious accommodations compared to other IJN warships, especially for the admiral, so she was nicknamed Hotel Yamato by the IJN sailors. 

k

[BAND]
Members
3 posts
1,498 battles
On 6/23/2019 at 10:13 PM, henrychenhenry said:

@Captain_Fenrir More seriously, the model of the Yamato was recently updated. See this link: https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/yamato-in-wows/

There were changes to the armor model alongside this change.

Yeah, these were the changes I was referencing.

On 6/23/2019 at 10:19 PM, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

They adjusted the armor scheme to match Musashi when they upgraded the 3D model of the Yamato. The torpedo protection got nerfed and the armor placement ajustment renders her more susceptible to damage bows on and broadside. Not by much, but it is noticeable. Welcome to WG, where change is so rampant that the ship you just ground so hard for gets nerfed the week after you buy her....

Yeah, as it wasn't already bad at bow tanking at any sort of angle. My issue with the entire thing is that while the Yamato has good armor, they have nerfed it when it already couldn't stand bow on for any extended duration. The torpedo belt that it had helped it while nose on. The big thing is that the engine and rudder are constantly getting slapped and disabled for torp hits on the torpedo belt.

On 6/23/2019 at 10:40 PM, AJTP89 said:

Beautiful nickname for the ship.

I've never actually seen the underwater citadels, especially not on a GK. I've only ever citadelled a GK when it was turning into me, but flat broadside to be, so it was raised out of the water. Same with the Republique.

[WOLF5]
Members
2,385 posts
2,982 battles
3 hours ago, Captain_Fenrir said:

I've never actually seen the underwater citadels, especially not on a GK. I've only ever citadelled a GK when it was turning into me, but flat broadside to be, so it was raised out of the water. Same with the Republique.

It was a brief bug, they patched it (reverted the change) within a few days. But it was glorious while it lasted to see broadside Conquerors get the paddling they deserved. It wasn't automatic, but at mid range it was reliable.

Sign in to follow this