You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Mailman653

Gentelmens agreement between CV's?

25 comments in this topic

[TF16B]
[TF16B]
Modder
284 posts
510 battles

I haven't been playing long but I was curious...is there a tacit agreement between CV captains not to attack each other unless the situation demands it or do the gloves come off at every match?

[HINON]
Supertester
21,338 posts
15,057 battles

It is not allowed by the rules of the game to discuss tactics and / or agreements with the enemy team, or any ship thereon.

It is allowed to choose your own targets and elect not to attack the red CV.

But discussing it in any way is against the rules.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,056 posts
17,200 battles

If you suspect cheating report it in a support ticket with the replay. Also what Lert said.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
5,977 posts
3,841 battles

CV vs CV combat since 8.0 is a very inefficient way to get XP/Credits.

CVs have some of the best AA and automatically deployed fighters (and don't burn much).

A CV can attack the enemy CV, but there are easier targets.

• Cool 1

[BEWBS]
[BEWBS]
Members
170 posts

It mostly has to do with how hard of a target a CV is to another CV. With the large HP pool and the hyper repair parties, there is almost no DoT potential. To take down a tier peer CV therefore takes time that could be more profitably spent damaging other ships.

The best way for a CV to hurt another CV is to keep it spotted for its allied ships, which actually kind of precludes attacking the CV, since then the flight ends up going back to the CV and the spotting ends.

Edited by Kuriour

[DRT]
Beta Testers
22 posts
10,428 battles

it's to costly to go after another cv till the end of the game. they have fast acting repare partys and auto lunch fighters and great aa. wargaming gave them the tools to fight off other cv and did not give them to the other ships so they do not go after the other cv till every one is dead

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
12,594 battles
22 minutes ago, Lert said:

It is not allowed by the rules of the game to discuss tactics and / or agreements with the enemy team, or any ship thereon.

It is allowed to choose your own targets and elect not to attack the red CV.

But discussing it in any way is against the rules.

this is true,, but we all know its hard to enforce this rule, lot of t he players in wows are "too nice" and will on occasion do such "truces" (especially during certain events such as the current one with certain objectives):Smile_unsure:

[HINON]
Supertester
21,338 posts
15,057 battles
Just now, BladedPheonix said:

this is true,, but we all know its hard to enforce this rule, lot of t he players in wows are "too nice" and will on occasion do such "truces" (especially during certain events such as the current one with certain objectives):Smile_unsure:

Report them in a ticket. All you can do.

• Boring 1

[KWA]
Beta Testers
1,841 posts
5,221 battles

When I play CV, I never go after the enemy CV unless they are the last ship left. It is just not worth trying to strike them.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,751 posts
18,164 battles
7 minutes ago, OseanTanker said:

When I play CV, I never go after the enemy CV unless they are the last ship left. It is just not worth trying to strike them.

Pretty much this.  A CV is an effective no fly zone and chasing CVs (unless they present themselves in an opportune area) is not a good use of resources.

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Members
1,752 posts
18,953 battles

CV vs CV combat has really been discouraged even before 0.8.0. Before, CVs had a really long lasting DFAA combined with powerful AA. Now they have powerful AA and auto-launching fighters.

This is intentional because if there is a CV on only one side, the game becomes lopsided due to the spotting and damage potential of a CV. Imagine playing and your team doesnt get a CV in a CV match. The enemy team gets free spotting the entire time while you are subjected to plane attacks the enemy isnt worried about at all. At least if both teams have a CV there is the potential for both teams to get the same amount of spotting.

All of that said, if I end up in a two CV match at Tier 8 and one of the CVs is a tier 6, i try to kill it. I also go after other CVs first thing in my Siapan.

• Cool 1

[-BUI-]
Members
1,331 posts
3,445 battles
46 minutes ago, Mailman653 said:

I haven't been playing long but I was curious...is there a tacit agreement between CV captains not to attack each other unless the situation demands it or do the gloves come off at every match?

Its just not really possible.   Super AA plus fighter is sorta hard to attack...you might get 1 strike off, but its hardly worth it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,335 posts
11,846 battles

CV's usually don't attack each other until other less prickly targets are gone because the plane losses are extreme when attacking another CV. No gentleman's agreement is needed, just common sense that the work involved is far too much for the results. The reworked CV's were made this way to avoid the old CV strike to eliminate the opponent.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,751 posts
18,164 battles
27 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The reworked CV's were made this way to avoid the old CV strike to eliminate the opponent.

The good old days when my Kaga was able to take out a Ranger on the first strike....

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,335 posts
11,846 battles
13 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

The good old days when my Kaga was able to take out a Ranger on the first strike....

Exactly what they wanted to get away from and ironically that being gone is one of the big complaints by the anti-CV crowd not realizing that is actually a good thing for the game.

[SALVO]
Members
21,703 posts
22,016 battles
18 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Exactly what they wanted to get away from and ironically that being gone is one of the big complaints by the anti-CV crowd not realizing that is actually a good thing for the game.

One thing that they could do would be to remove the fighter consumable from CVs, and thus force the CV player to call for fighters using the fighter consumable from their planes only.

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,335 posts
11,846 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

One thing that they could do would be to remove the fighter consumable from CVs, and thus force the CV player to call for fighters using the fighter consumable from their planes only.

They don't want CV's going after each other like in the RTS days so the CAP is right and even though people whine about the other auto consumables CV's go down pretty fast when hit by gunfire and ship torpedoes.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,751 posts
18,164 battles
31 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Agreed, but as you said some still whine if you can't do it.

[RLGN]
Members
11,240 posts
20,260 battles
2 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

CV vs CV combat since 8.0 is a very inefficient way to get XP/Credits.

CVs have some of the best AA and automatically deployed fighters (and don't burn much).

A CV can attack the enemy CV, but there are easier targets.

Pretty much this.

You can slip in a strike or two, but it’s just easier to get the shell and metal fish flingers to kill a Red CV.

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,335 posts
11,846 battles
11 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Pretty much this.

You can slip in a strike or two, but it’s just easier to get the shell and metal fish flingers to kill a Red CV.

And they die pretty darn fast even though people complain about the auto consumables.

[WOLFC]
Members
616 posts
5,094 battles

To the OP, if you see any such chatter in chat, file a ticket. It's a pretty open and shut case if there is evidence in the chat logs.

But, as others have said, CVs can't effectively snipe each other anymore. And I don't know about others, but I'd much rather have both CVs surviving until near the end of game than have one CV taken out quickly and allowing the other to run rampant (either green or red). The spotting advantage makes games very difficult if your CV cannot respond in kind.

• Cool 1

[-GPS-]
Members
2,820 posts
30,257 battles

It does depend on which CVs.  Any Tier 8 CV going after a Lexington is just dumb. The AA is that strong. However, sometimes a Kaga or Shokaku is a better target.  Especially in Tier 10 battles with lots of nasty AA. 

Members
2 posts
7,084 battles

I used to play a lot of CV and DD before the 8.0 Nerf. CV was usually my first tgt. Now you just suicide your planes in a CV attack.  Now the only thing they are good against  are DD's. Pretty much sucked the fun out of playing both of them. 

[WAG]
Members
810 posts
10,494 battles
On 6/23/2019 at 7:40 PM, Mailman653 said:

Not sure of this happens, but it is strongly suggested that some accounts, that play exclusively CV and have terrible win rates, are just shill accounts used by a player trying to boost the stats on their main account. Player sync drops both accounts and just launches planes from the shill account. If the two drop in the same game, the team with the AFK CV is at a major disadvantage.

This practice may have fallen out of practice with 0.8.0, since many games had two or CV per side. If you sync drop and get on the same team, now your team has an AFK CV. Still, if you ever have an AFK CV in a game, check the stats.