You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Billy2Hawks

Updated MM?

14 comments in this topic

[SANK]
Members
301 posts
6,004 battles

I read that WoT will receive(d) an updated MM. Is there any hope we will see the same? Or is our population too small?

https://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/general-news/matchmaker-update/

https://thedailybounce.net/world-of-tanks/world-of-tanks-improved-matchmaker-is-here/

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,390 posts
11,904 battles

Tanks currently has a 3/5/7 top/middle/bottom MM. It also is apparently rather psychotic about making that tier balance no matter what the tier numbers actually are. This is a dynamic system that does allow two tier matches but keeps three tier matches based on tier population. One thing that I like about their system is the bottom tier is always the most common tier in the match.

[SALVO]
Members
21,733 posts
22,069 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Tanks currently has a 3/5/7 top/middle/bottom MM. It also is apparently rather psychotic about making that tier balance no matter what the tier numbers actually are. This is a dynamic system that does allow two tier matches but keeps three tier matches based on tier population. One thing that I like about their system is the bottom tier is always the most common tier in the match.

The downside to that, Brush, is that it pretty much guarantees that when you're in tier 6-8 ships, it's a lot more  rare to end up as top tier in a 3 tier battle, because far more often, your vehicle will be put in a battle where you're bottom tier, simply because of that 3/5/7 mix.

[SALVO]
Members
21,733 posts
22,069 battles
35 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

+/- 1 tier MM would be welcomed for sure..........   

Those +/-1 tier battles were always part of this relatively new WoT MM.  It's all about what's in the queue when MM is forming teams.

[SALVO]
Members
21,733 posts
22,069 battles

For what it's worth, there's another way that the devs could make MM friendlier for tier 8 or lower ships that has nothing to do with MM itself.  Maybe some of you noticed that maybe a month or 2 back, they had a mission/event that was only for tiers 5 through 8.  And during that mission, it was my experience that I saw a lot, and I mean, a LOT more battles in tier 8's being top tier, because people were playing their tier 8's (and below) more often and were in their tier 9's and 10's much less often.

WG could have done something a bit similar with this weekend's Philippine Sea mission, if they'd set the max tier to 8.

I think that giving people a real reason to get out of their 10's and play their 8's or 7's or below would be a big help for these tiers.

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,390 posts
11,904 battles
6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The downside to that, Brush, is that it pretty much guarantees that when you're in tier 6-8 ships, it's a lot more  rare to end up as top tier in a 3 tier battle, because far more often, your vehicle will be put in a battle where you're bottom tier, simply because of that 3/5/7 mix.

I understand that but currently when a tier 8 is dragged into a tier 10 match they are often the only one or one of two in a match that is mostly tier 10's. The MM definitely needs work and making it dynamic is the first step.

[SALVO]
Members
21,733 posts
22,069 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I understand that but currently when a tier 8 is dragged into a tier 10 match they are often the only one or one of two in a match that is mostly tier 10's. The MM definitely needs work and making it dynamic is the first step.

Don't get me wrong, Brush, I don't think that a WoT-like MM would be the end of the world.  At least, WoWS doesn't have any pref MM ships like WoT's own prem MM tanks.

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,390 posts
11,904 battles
16 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Don't get me wrong, Brush, I don't think that a WoT-like MM would be the end of the world.  At least, WoWS doesn't have any pref MM ships like WoT's own prem MM tanks.

Premium ships used to get preferred MM but that went away when tier 3 and 4 got protected MM. Also I am not lobbying for a WoT like MM here, I am just saying it would work better here than it does in WoT. Now a dynamic MM that adjusts on the fly to tier population would be something I would like to see.

[SALVO]
Members
21,733 posts
22,069 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Premium ships used to get preferred MM but that went away when tier 3 and 4 got protected MM. Also I am not lobbying for a WoT like MM here, I am just saying it would work better here than it does in WoT. Now a dynamic MM that adjusts on the fly to tier population would be something I would like to see.

I also think that a WoT like MM would work better here because, using Tier 10 and Tier 8 as an example, tier 8's in WoWS are much more capable of damaging tier 10's than is true for most tier 8 tanks in WoT.

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,390 posts
11,904 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

I also think that a WoT like MM would work better here because, using Tier 10 and Tier 8 as an example, tier 8's in WoWS are much more capable of damaging tier 10's than is true for most tier 8 tanks in WoT.

That problem is across the board for WoT, a tier 4 will struggle to do any damage to a tier 6. It just gets worse as you go up the tiers.

[SANK]
Members
301 posts
6,004 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

That problem is across the board for WoT, a tier 4 will struggle to do any damage to a tier 6. It just gets worse as you go up the tiers.

Two things drove me away from WoT:

Being low tier (and it seemed like half the time) and unable to damage the other tanks. When I asked how people dealt with this, I was told to just take out their tracks. It was a whole lot of not fun.

WoWS IS much better about being able to damage higher tier vehicles, which was part of my being drawn to it.

The steam rolled victories or losses. I remember I recorded 200 some battles at one point out of curiosity. It was about 1/3 split about even for a battle being won/loss/even fight. So, 1/3 of the battles were competitive battles. It has been a couple of years, but I think that I was down tiered about 40% of the time. I left WoT with about 90 days of premium time.

Of the 50 or so players I have in game contact with that have left, have all sited issues with how they view MM and it's some times very skewed teams. Usually their issues start around T5/T6.

I mean, unless you are a super uni, 1 player is not going to make much of a difference when teams are skewed due to MM.

I don't know, but I think a shake up of MM would do more to retain players then most other issues. Call me crazy.

[OIL-1]
Members
388 posts

"As we continue our efforts to make World of Tanks even more enjoyable to play, we will test the new Matchmaker on the European servers for a few days in near future.
To avoid different playing behavior during this test, we will not share the exact date or timeframe."

Translation: No Fun Allowed.

Have you guys forgotten the original Matchmaker?
There was a screen that showed how many players were in queue for each tier.
Late at night when the population was low, you could go where the action was so you didn't have to sit in queue forever.
But what happened was, the players had a silent agreement to all play on the same tier.
Not only did you get quick battles, but they were a lot more fun because everyone was on the same tier. (good times.)
WG finally figured out what we were doing, and recognizing that there is no money in fun, they removed the screen.

Point being: Don't get your hopes up for a decent Matchmaker, it's NEVER going to happen.