Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tango555

So got me an Atlanta. ..

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

16
[SIGG]
Members
44 posts
2,121 battles

So been wanting this ship for awhile and finally got her.  Had 20k doubloons from selling my cvs after the rework.  (Not knocking them just wasn't my cup of tea)  I know her ballistics are slow... but any advice?  I mainly play BB so used to being aggressive.  Trying to lead aim farther and using the vanilla dynamic crosshair.

Thanks for any advice, oh any decent operations Co op builds?  Random is not my bag. :)

Edit _ only have a few games in her, I have company over so more future reference :)

Edited by Tango555
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,096
Members
2,613 posts
9,799 battles

I recommend IFHE with BFT and AFT on that ship, to maximize your damage output.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
436
[POP]
Members
1,411 posts
17,046 battles

   It's going to be a very different playstyle from 'aggressive' BB gameplay. You will be looking to abuse cover and line of sight. Rather than tanking you will be looking to avoid taking hits. As far as aiming, it will just take practice but once you are used to it you can hit with them out to max range easy enough on most targets. Try not to get discouraged if it does not come easily and keep a open mind and evaluate your own performance as you play to get better.

Edited by Alabamastan
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,877
[HINON]
Members
11,212 posts
5 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I recommend IFHE with BFT and AFT on that ship, to maximize your damage output.

This for sure though BFT is optional IMO as SI is also quite helpful.

 

Also this yuro vid is a bit old but still has some helpful tidbits, she's a fun bote for sure.

 

 

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,446
[WORX]
Members
5,037 posts
15,593 battles
45 minutes ago, Tango555 said:

but any advice?  I mainly play BB so used to being aggressive.  Trying to lead aim farther and using the vanilla dynamic crosshair.

Thanks for any advice, oh any decent operations Co op builds?  Random is not my bag. :)

Edit _ only have a few games in her, I have company over so more future reference :)

  1. The learning curve coming from BB class is steep. The ATL is not for beginners
  2. I suggest a 19pt cpt
  3. I suggest PT,  AR, IFHE (for the RU BBs thanks WG), BFT and CE.... IMO if you're are a beginner ATL, DO NOT skip CE... Now, if your play style is different from mine you "MAY" get away without CE
  4. There is no such thing as angling in the ATL (again thanks WG)... When in doubt GET OUT!
  5. ATL is one heck of a ship to play for all lvls.
  6. Oh yeah you have torps if you're not use to playing torp ships... DOnt use them as much as I have :P

I covered the basics but not all. Hope this helps...

congrats in exchanging a sky cancer for a fun ATL

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16
[SIGG]
Members
44 posts
2,121 battles

Thank you all!!!  I have 2 13pt captains, so a respec shall be in order.  Imagine the lead time I will learn over time.  People say it takes 10k games to learn overall , I hope they refer to say 100 ish games to a said ship.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
473 posts
9,757 battles

Works best when shooting DDs at close range or camping BB at long range.

Have to choose targets wisely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,096
Members
2,613 posts
9,799 battles
36 minutes ago, Tango555 said:

People say it takes 10k games to learn overall , I hope they refer to say 100 ish games to a said ship.  

Learning curves in co-op and randoms are vastly different.  You don’t need many games in coop to master Atlanta.  Enemy ships will charge head on in predictable path ways, you just need to find decent cover with sectors of fire that will cover the approaching bots.  You should notice where your friendly ships are in relation to your cover, to make sure you have someone to spot approaching hostiles.  You will also be able to use your torps to ambush bots approaching around your cover, if you time it right.  Something that is much harder to pull off in randoms.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
235
[REEF]
Beta Testers
858 posts
9,524 battles
1 hour ago, Tango555 said:

So been wanting this ship for awhile and finally got her.  Had 20k doubloons from selling my cvs after the rework.  (Not knocking them just wasn't my cup of tea)  I know her ballistics are slow... but any advice?  I mainly play BB so used to being aggressive.  Trying to lead aim farther and using the vanilla dynamic crosshair.

Thanks for any advice, oh any decent operations Co op builds?  Random is not my bag. :)

Edit _ only have a few games in her, I have company over so more future reference :)

What is important in the Atlanta is to remember she is a BRAWLER!  So, you want to quickly close the range on the enemy team, turn broadside and let them have it!  It's the BEST approach for me playing against you..................I mean you playing against me!  Surprise, shock and awe, that's what you want!  Yep!  Best advice I can give you for playing against me, I mean playing the Atlanta!   :Smile_trollface:

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16
[SIGG]
Members
44 posts
2,121 battles
6 hours ago, FlashTX1 said:

What is important in the Atlanta is to remember she is a BRAWLER!  So, you want to quickly close the range on the enemy team, turn broadside and let them have it!  It's the BEST approach for me playing against you..................I mean you playing against me!  Surprise, shock and awe, that's what you want!  Yep!  Best advice I can give you for playing against me, I mean playing the Atlanta!   :Smile_trollface:

:Smile_izmena:, tracking my shots

Edited by Tango555
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17
[DBRIS]
Members
100 posts
6,005 battles

Atlanta is awesome. The lead can come close to off the screen sometimes, but you get used to it. I run it like a giant destroyer. Always keep moving around. It will absolutely melt destroyers. Nothing like raining down constant fire over an island on to a BB that can't do anything about it:))))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
774
[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,499 posts
6,886 battles

For co op game play, Atlanta actually excels a lot more doing close quarter brawling. The trick is to avoid being the first ship spotted or spotted in a place that allows multiple bots to simultaneously shoot at you right off the bat.

 

I usually follow the closest DDs on my team if applicable and use their smoke if they used it then whenever appropriate, charge at the bots and AP their sides

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19
[_-X-_]
[_-X-_]
Members
196 posts
7,052 battles

Learn the projectile arcs and leading your target.  Walk your rounds, mentally visualizing the path to connect with your target even when behind an obstruction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,272
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,246 posts
19,617 battles
8 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

This for sure though BFT is optional IMO as SI is also quite helpful.

 

Also this yuro vid is a bit old but still has some helpful tidbits, she's a fun bote for sure.

 

 

SI isn't really needed in Co-op though because the games are over so quickly.  Even Battleships don't need SI in Co-op.

 

In addition, Atlanta already gets unlimited Defensive Fire charges and Radar in PVE is quite useless.  There are some cases like Operation Narai where Atlanta can pop Radar to give a good picture of what's going on in the last area before everyone pushes in, and you only need 1 Radar charge to do that.  So SI for Atlanta is a big waste, IMO.  BFT or DE would be better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
151
[PTRGT]
Members
334 posts
32,870 battles

Big tip is try NOT to shoot first the bots tend to gang up on ship that do that and the Atlanta is too squishy for that.

Your Tops have a label on them that say "Only use if your going to die anyways" I've seen too many Atlanta's think they can torp like a DD.. you can't. You can ambush torps from behind islands but if your try in open water where the bots can shoot you...... it won''t be pretty.

The shells from the main guns arch up OVER THE MOON then return to earth to land on or near the ships your are shooting at when shooting at max range. 5 to 7 km is the best fighting distance for those guns but if your going to shoot long range you'll need to zoom out to properly lead your shots. I adjusted the setting on my wheel mouse to speed up the zoom speed.

I love my Atlanta and I play it every day like a Big DD Gunboat with crappy torps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
767
[WOLF3]
Members
1,568 posts
6,045 battles

So when you take your shiny, new Atlanta into co-op there will be a pretty good chance that the red team now has one too.  Bots are super accurate, very aggressive, superb torpedo beat artists and will angle perfectly against your chosen ammo.  Skynet is going to burn someone down to the waterline and it will be your fault!  :Smile_trollface:  Just for lolz! 

Congratulations on your new Hotlanta!  I am patiently waiting for WG to put her on sale again.  I should have snatched her up the last time they had her 50% off.

Be sure to let us know how you are liking her.  :cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,751
[WOLFG]
Members
5,997 posts
3,841 battles
22 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

So when you take your shiny, new Atlanta into co-op there will be a pretty good chance that the red team now has one too.  Bots are super accurate, very aggressive, superb torpedo beat artists and will angle perfectly against your chosen ammo.  Skynet is going to burn someone down to the waterline and it will be your fault!  :Smile_trollface:  Just for lolz! 

Congratulations on your new Hotlanta!  I am patiently waiting for WG to put her on sale again.  I should have snatched her up the last time they had her 50% off.

Be sure to let us know how you are liking her.  :cap_like:

Ships like Atlanta that should use concealment and islands are some of my favorites to see on the bot team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
767
[WOLF3]
Members
1,568 posts
6,045 battles
1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Ships like Atlanta that should use concealment and islands are some of my favorites to see on the bot team

I agree with you there.  If you understand the threat that they pose and focus them early, you'll have a much more enjoyable time.  They can be an excellent source of nutrition for you.  Nom, nom, nom!

I also remember the first time I caught the attention of an Atlanta.  I was extremely NOOB and was derping around with my regular division mate who was just slightly less NOOB than me.  He was in his New Mexico and I was in my HSF Graf Spee.  I had no business in a tier 6 ship.  I bought the Spee so I could run with my buddy when he took out his New Mexico.  We hadn't really acquired our first clue about how to fight our ships yet and this Atlanta started lighting me up from near maximum range.  It felt like a constant barrage, a hailstorm of fire, like some biblical plague!  She burnt me down like a boss!  :cap_rambo:

I said, "What the (expletive deleted) is THAT?!", to which my buddy replied, "I don't know but I want one!".  I was permanently scarred by that incident.  :fish_nerv:

I am always acutely conscious of the location and focus of any Hotlanta on the enemy team to this day.  She is almost always my first target.  :cap_haloween:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17
[DBRIS]
Members
100 posts
6,005 battles
15 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I agree with you there.  If you understand the threat that they pose and focus them early, you'll have a much more enjoyable time.  They can be an excellent source of nutrition for you.  Nom, nom, nom!

I also remember the first time I caught the attention of an Atlanta.  I was extremely NOOB and was derping around with my regular division mate who was just slightly less NOOB than me.  He was in his New Mexico and I was in my HSF Graf Spee.  I had no business in a tier 6 ship.  I bought the Spee so I could run with my buddy when he took out his New Mexico.  We hadn't really acquired our first clue about how to fight our ships yet and this Atlanta started lighting me up from near maximum range.  It felt like a constant barrage, a hailstorm of fire, like some biblical plague!  She burnt me down like a boss!  :cap_rambo:

I said, "What the (expletive deleted) is THAT?!", to which my buddy replied, "I don't know but I want one!".  I was permanently scarred by that incident.  :fish_nerv:

I am always acutely conscious of the location and focus of any Hotlanta on the enemy team to this day.  She is almost always my first target.  :cap_haloween:

I have one and know what they can do. ALWAYS the1st  red thing to try and obliterate BEFORE it gets in range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,686
[ARGSY]
Members
12,931 posts
8,245 battles

Take it to Narai and mine ECXP there. 

Regardless of anything said about the uselessness of AA, it's a lie; tier 6 carriers will hate you, especially if they are brand new and still running stock aircraft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,272
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,246 posts
19,617 battles
6 hours ago, DeathsStalker said:

Big tip is try NOT to shoot first the bots tend to gang up on ship that do that and the Atlanta is too squishy for that.

Your Tops have a label on them that say "Only use if your going to die anyways" I've seen too many Atlanta's think they can torp like a DD.. you can't. You can ambush torps from behind islands but if your try in open water where the bots can shoot you...... it won''t be pretty.

The shells from the main guns arch up OVER THE MOON then return to earth to land on or near the ships your are shooting at when shooting at max range. 5 to 7 km is the best fighting distance for those guns but if your going to shoot long range you'll need to zoom out to properly lead your shots. I adjusted the setting on my wheel mouse to speed up the zoom speed.

I love my Atlanta and I play it every day like a Big DD Gunboat with crappy torps

It's always funny watching people use their torpedoes at ranges they're not good for.

Lost count how many times I've watched Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Tirpitz users think they got long range Gearing torpedoes when they're in fact only 6km, and the enemy is like 12km away.

Or various Russian Cruisers, even DDs, with around 4.5km torpedoes trying to torp something 10km away.

I remember specifically in Randoms, a Schors user tried to use its torpedoes in open water against the red team... around 10km away.

Image result for jon stewart face palm gif

The bad part was he turned broadside to all the reds to do this, to launch torps that would never reach the target, and he got insta-gibbed in the process.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,751
[WOLFG]
Members
5,997 posts
3,841 battles
2 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I agree with you there.  If you understand the threat that they pose and focus them early, you'll have a much more enjoyable time.  They can be an excellent source of nutrition for you.  Nom, nom, nom!

I also remember the first time I caught the attention of an Atlanta.  I was extremely NOOB and was derping around with my regular division mate who was just slightly less NOOB than me.  He was in his New Mexico and I was in my HSF Graf Spee.  I had no business in a tier 6 ship.  I bought the Spee so I could run with my buddy when he took out his New Mexico.  We hadn't really acquired our first clue about how to fight our ships yet and this Atlanta started lighting me up from near maximum range.  It felt like a constant barrage, a hailstorm of fire, like some biblical plague!  She burnt me down like a boss!  :cap_rambo:

I said, "What the (expletive deleted) is THAT?!", to which my buddy replied, "I don't know but I want one!".  I was permanently scarred by that incident.  :fish_nerv:

I am always acutely conscious of the location and focus of any Hotlanta on the enemy team to this day.  She is almost always my first target.  :cap_haloween:

My first recollection of the Atlanta was on neighbors.  It was just peeing all over my Konig.  No one focused it and I couldn't see it.

It just kept coming and appeared around a rock at about 7km.

Even German dispersion couldn't save it.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,933 posts
8,470 battles

Atlanta can be a monster in co-op, but played incorrectly can also be a quick trip back to port. Priority Target is essential with her, b/c either every bot in range will focus you or none of them will. If nobody is looking at you go full broadside and hose 'em. As soon as they target you turn tail and run until they find another target. When the match is down to the last few straggler BBs don't be afraid to charge them and use torps. Stay bow on to them until the last moment and most of their shots will miss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×