Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
centarina

Benefit of Running BB without Gun Range Upgrade at lower tier

4 comments in this topic

[Y0L0]
Members
9,868 posts
13,676 battles

after taking a year off WOWS,  I came back and started the grind on the UKDD and RUBB.     I also almost never have range upgrade on my DDs  as well except for some long range gunbote DDs. 

I've made to t8 in Russian BB and did not purchase fire control system upgrade  on most of the botes. (t5 was given out  by mission complete)    and did not miss having longer range.    Of course, with russian dispersion,  anything more than 13km  shot is a crap shoot anyway.       At lower tier, I do think having extra range is not a good thing as it teaches  bad habit.      Frankly,  there has been only few instances where I missed having longer range, and even if I had it, I doubt it would have done much to improve my stat as it is very much luck to hit anything with BB at long range.       I have gotten those lucky cits at max range against unaware cruiser, but I can literally count them on one hand.  I do think meta does change at t8 with guns becoming much more accurate, but at least upto 8,  I don't gun range upgrade is very important and I would recommend running BBs  without having this upgrade.     This is especially true for newer players who really struggles with hitting target.    

benefit of stock fire control system

1.  biggest benefit is that it shortens the grind/lower cost.    typically, this upgrade cost is about 10-15 %  of  total grind in XP, not to mention credit cost

2  your average hit rate should go up a bit, as you will be shooting bit closer  

3.  you will learn to use cover to break line of sight in moving up 

[ARGSY]
Members
12,862 posts
8,222 battles

I would almost agree with you except that RU BB maximum range is comically low at lowest tiers (less than spotting distance), and even with Russian dispersion I find it's useful to be able to fire that little bit further in some instances.

[TARK]
Members
3,319 posts
1,433 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I would almost agree with you except that RU BB maximum range is comically low at lowest tiers (less than spotting distance), and even with Russian dispersion I find it's useful to be able to fire that little bit further in some instances.

Depends on the boat.

Some ships should not be played as back line snipers. Why give yourself a temptation to play poorly?

Of course, some ships shouldnt be getting close...I always raise an eyebrow when a Japanese BB closes with my German or US BB to brawl...I'm like, do you not understand what is about to happen?

[Y0L0]
Members
9,868 posts
13,676 battles

All BBs have enough range to keep distance.  Even at low tier, you can close enough and frankly it only takes few matches to get passed it.   Buying range module is a clutch.  4. Match into stock Vlad, I am avging  80k dmg.  Don't have problem with range .    I,ve had t10s shhot at me at beyond my age and they really don't hit if you wasd a bit.      Long range is not that critical unless you are doing ranked or clan battle and it is situational there.  I would recommend people try it.  

Sign in to follow this