You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BlizzardHero

CVs: The Worst Gameplay Experience Of WoWs

115 comments in this topic

[IXM]
Members
498 posts
2,549 battles

I'm glad you're saying this because they're also terrible to play against.

• Cool 28
  • Funny 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 3
  • Angry 1

[HYDRO]
Members
3,560 posts
5,062 battles

Only when everybody is equally miserable will we achieve real balance :fish_boom:.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 6

[TMS]
Members
2,587 posts
26,334 battles

Just had a Double CV perside game T8 Battle, only the 4 CVs lived.

I'm losing patience, If the next patch does not balance the CVs than i will move from dont mind CVs in battles to remove them.

If you can't cure my cancer with medication and therapy then cut it out.

Edited by Final8ty
  • Cool 9
  • Boring 4

Alpha Tester
6,006 posts
2,897 battles
1 hour ago, BlizzardHero said:

I need to vent, so, sorry.

CVs have the worst [insert expletive] gameplay experience in WoWs on multiple different fronts. It's very hard to illustrate how bad it is right now without having everyone experience CV gameplay, but it's awful. 

1. Damage: Most classes have some some way of delivering a high alpha strike. Heavy broadside, torpedoes, etc., it's possible and very rewarding to catch enemy ships and deal high damage. This feeling is obviously not available with CVs, IE unless you're in something with AP Bombs (and get luck all the same) you will never have high damage strikes over, say, 15-20k. That is not to say such high "CV" strikes won't feel good, but given how many nerfs CVs have received, that small sliver of fun in CVs has dropped to a 1/10000th chance, IE, maybe once a month. Most of the time, CV damage is predicated on keeping up your plane strikes and dealing little bits of damage over the course of the match. However, even this slow burn of damage is so bad now CVs will struggle to do 100k dmg (especially so with the USN Line which requires time to deal damage rather than the burst damage of RN and IJN). 

2. Reactivity: Quick maneuvers and good positioning are again, very rewarding with high intensity fun for many players. It's why many people enjoy playing DDs. You would think that, given planes have very little terrain constraint, that planes would be very reactive. But of course, they are not. Controlling planes and trying to preform follow-up strikes on ships is awful, in most instances you will not be able to turn in time. Tight maneuvers are literally impossible beacuse your planes will never have a sufficient turning radius, meaning that you are guaranteed to take more AA damage and likely destroy any possibility of using the rest of your planes. It's really stupid when CVs would be more efficient sending out single strikes of planes rather than the entire squadron 100% of the time.

3. Flak/Continuous AA: Flak is simultaneously the stupidest and weakest AA mechanic. When attacking a single ship, a brain-dead rat could avoid flak and thus only take continuous damage. But 2+ ships, and there's suddenly enough flak that you can't even see what is in front of you. All the skill in the world will not let you dodge flak when it's literally filling your entire screen (so, if your one of those arses who keep complaining "flak is entirerly avoidable", [insert expletive] off). There's no point in trying to dodge it, beacuse there's no way to dodge it in the first place. Continuous AA on the other hand is inconsistent and OP at the same time. Unintelligent morons who don't manage their sectors or, you know, turn their ship, are easy targets and their AA might as well not exist. However, get someone who, I don't know, knows where the enemy spawn is and knows which direction to turn their AA, and suddenly the second you actually spot anything you've already losing planes. Not to mention, given that the Devs are improving AA (fixing an AA bug that should have been fixed from the start and concentrating AA damage onto single planes) without actually reducing AA's overall damage means that you're better off using your CV as a ramming log than actually using your planes. 

4. The Players: This is probably the worst part about CVs. It does not matter what you do, someone is going to complain (largely because they're ignorant morons, rarely do they have anything intelligent to say). If you take a CV out, you're guaranteed to get A. Reported one to three times (even if you do well), B. Someone complaining about "delete CVs", C. Someone complaining that you're not defending them against the enemy CV when they're isolated on the other side of the map from you, D. Ships rushing into the center of the map and complaining you're not protecting them from the enemy CV spotting them, and E. a lively discussion on how CVs are "just the worst". The constant barrage of utter hate that gets thrown at CVs makes it psychologically impossible to try and have fun (which should be the ultimate goal). This vitriol is annoying, unproductive, and disruptive (which I presume is the point) and there seems no fix on the horizon for it given that the Devs could care less about player satisfaction. 

5. The CV AI: Devs stated that this brain-dead AI would be fixed, but no, it's still awful. Since you can't control your CV outside of waypoints whilst you have a flight in the air, you basically have to waypoint to do anything. But the CV AI is so dumb you'd be better off just not moving like 90% of other CVs I see. You can't do any fine maneuvers. Trying to reverse 99/100 will just make your stupid CV try and go broadside instead of reversing. The AI has no depth perception so you'll just get grounded on the stupidest of rocks, at which point it's practically impossible to disengage and you're likely stuck there for the rest of the game unless you dedicate 5 minutes to unsticking yourself. 

There are many, many more things I could illustrate about how bad CV gameplay is at this state (and I might edit more in). At this point, CVs are best used as an overpriced spotter beacuse they're [insert expletive] at everything else. I'd sell my CVs and never touch them again, but I would be out several hundred hours and a lot of my credits/fxp. Maybe if they offer a refund for these turds I would leap at it in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I'm not touching this garbage until the Devs start actually playing their game for once.

You're in the wrong place if you're looking for sympathy. 9/10ths of the people on this forum pray every night for every single terrible thing conceivable to happen to CV players, no matter how petty, spiteful, or horrifically cruel it may be.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 3
  • Angry 2

[PQUOD]
Members
1,883 posts
3,988 battles
1 minute ago, 1Sherman said:

You're in the wrong place if you're looking for sympathy. 9/10ths of the people pray every night for every single terrible thing conceivable to happen to CV players, no matter how petty, spiteful, or horrifically cruel it may be.

Yeah those people need to take a healthy break from the game when you wish such things on other players of a game.

• Cool 4
  • Confused 1

[SALVO]
Members
21,714 posts
22,016 battles

3. Flak/Continuous AA: Flak is simultaneously the stupidest and weakest AA mechanic. When attacking a single ship, a brain-dead rat could avoid flak and thus only take continuous damage. But 2+ ships, and there's suddenly enough flak that you can't even see what is in front of you. All the skill in the world will not let you dodge flak when it's literally filling your entire screen (so, if your one of those arses who keep complaining "flak is entirerly avoidable", [insert expletive] off). There's no point in trying to dodge it, beacuse there's no way to dodge it in the first place. Continuous AA on the other hand is inconsistent and OP at the same time. Unintelligent morons who don't manage their sectors or, you know, turn their ship, are easy targets and their AA might as well not exist. However, get someone who, I don't know, knows where the enemy spawn is and knows which direction to turn their AA, and suddenly the second you actually spot anything you've already losing planes. Not to mention, given that the Devs are improving AA (fixing an AA bug that should have been fixed from the start and concentrating AA damage onto single planes) without actually reducing AA's overall damage means that you're better off using your CV as a ramming log than actually using your planes. 

Dude, flak is absolutely avoidable, just not every time.  If the flak bursts are far enough in front of you and there's a gap that you can maneuver into, flak is absolutely avoidable.  But occasionally, a bunch of flak bursts will explode right in front you and there's nothing you can do to avoid them.  About the best one can do to make flak more avoidable is, on your flight away from the enemy, to zig zag because in my experience, it seems that the flak AI doesn't do a good job of dealing with zig zagging planes running away from their ship.

As for losing planes the instant you're spotted, it depends on the ship that's firing at you.  If you're talking about DDs, that's understandable given that their concealment is so low, and they may have kept their AA intentionally turned off to draw you in before turning it on (possibly with DefAA engaged as well).  About the best thing you can do is try to approach an area where you're expecting to encounter ships at more of an oblique angle so that you don't have to spend the time executing a full 180o turn, but may be a far quicker 90o or so turn.  There's not a lot worse than flying directly at a Minotaur that you've just spotted and its AA starts shredding your squadron immediately, and knowing that getting back out of AA range is going to take a few seconds.

Members
0 posts
44 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

9/10ths of the people on this forum pray every night for every single terrible thing conceivable to happen to CV players, no matter how petty, spiteful, or horrifically cruel it may be.

For good reason.

• Cool 5
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[90TH]
Members
1,711 posts
10,757 battles

CVs have the worst [insert expletive] gameplay experience in WoWs on multiple different fronts. It's very hard to illustrate how bad it is right now without having everyone experience CV gameplay, but it's awful. 

1. Damage: Most classes have some some way of delivering a high alpha strike. Heavy broadside, torpedoes, etc., it's possible and very rewarding to catch enemy ships and deal high damage. This feeling is obviously not available with CVs, IE unless you're in something with AP Bombs (and get luck all the same) you will never have high damage strikes over, say, 15-20k. That is not to say such high "CV" strikes won't feel good, but given how many nerfs CVs have received, that small sliver of fun in CVs has dropped to a 1/10000th chance, IE, maybe once a month. Most of the time, CV damage is predicated on keeping up your plane strikes and dealing little bits of damage over the course of the match. However, even this slow burn of damage is so bad now CVs will struggle to do 100k dmg (especially so with the USN Line which requires time to deal damage rather than the burst damage of RN and IJN). 

2. Reactivity: Quick maneuvers and good positioning are again, very rewarding with high intensity fun for many players. It's why many people enjoy playing DDs. You would think that, given planes have very little terrain constraint, that planes would be very reactive. But of course, they are not. Controlling planes and trying to preform follow-up strikes on ships is awful, in most instances you will not be able to turn in time. Tight maneuvers are literally impossible beacuse your planes will never have a sufficient turning radius, meaning that you are guaranteed to take more AA damage and likely destroy any possibility of using the rest of your planes. It's really stupid when CVs would be more efficient sending out single strikes of planes rather than the entire squadron 100% of the time.

4. The Players: This is probably the worst part about CVs. It does not matter what you do, someone is going to complain (largely because they're ignorant morons, rarely do they have anything intelligent to say). If you take a CV out, you're guaranteed to get A. Reported one to three times (even if you do well), B. Someone complaining about "delete CVs", C. Someone complaining that you're not defending them against the enemy CV when they're isolated on the other side of the map from you, D. Ships rushing into the center of the map and complaining you're not protecting them from the enemy CV spotting them, and E. a lively discussion on how CVs are "just the worst". The constant barrage of utter hate that gets thrown at CVs makes it psychologically impossible to try and have fun (which should be the ultimate goal). This vitriol is annoying, unproductive, and disruptive (which I presume is the point) and there seems no fix on the horizon for it given that the Devs could care less about player satisfaction. 

5. The CV AI: Devs stated that this brain-dead AI would be fixed, but no, it's still awful. Since you can't control your CV outside of waypoints whilst you have a flight in the air, you basically have to waypoint to do anything. But the CV AI is so dumb you'd be better off just not moving like 90% of other CVs I see. You can't do any fine maneuvers. Trying to reverse 99/100 will just make your stupid CV try and go broadside instead of reversing. The AI has no depth perception so you'll just get grounded on the stupidest of rocks, at which point it's practically impossible to disengage and you're likely stuck there for the rest of the game unless you dedicate 5 minutes to unsticking yourself. 

There are many, many more things I could illustrate about how bad CV gameplay is at this state (and I might edit more in). At this point, CVs are best used as an overpriced spotter beacuse they're [insert expletive] at everything else. I'd sell my CVs and never touch them again, but I would be out several hundred hours and a lot of my credits/fxp. Maybe if they offer a refund for these turds I would leap at it in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I'm not touching this garbage until the Devs start actually playing their game for once.

no u

• Boring 1

[O_S_D]
Members
94 posts
9,320 battles

I play all four types of ships.  I also find cvs annoying when I am in a dd or cruiser.  But when I take a cv, I feel the AA is murderous and ships are terribly hard to hit if the targeted captain knows what he is doing.  I have two cvs, the Hosho (T4 Japanese) and the Furious (T6 British). 

Yesterday I came close to selling the Hosho.  I am still learning how to use her, so I mainly play coops and I have only taken her out in randoms once.  Yesterday I lost three coops with her.  Coops!  The first two times it was me and 7 bots against the red bots.  I soon found myself being chased by 6 red bots in the first battle as all my bots were sunk.  The second time it was only 5 red bots after me after all the green bots were dead, and I actually sank a red bot before getting blown to bits.  The last battle was me and 7 real people.  However, I soon found myself running from 3 or 4 red bots as all the players were gone.  There is literally no way I could have survived any of those battles.  A T4 carrier just doesn't pack any punch.

The Furious at T6 is better, but if anyone cowers in fear of me and my planes they should just give up playing.  The torps are OK, but hardly deadly; you need flooding to do any real damage.  Rockets are pathetic so they are only good for dd and maybe cruisers.  The bombs are OK, but the planes get slaughtered by AA and only occasionally do considerable damage.  Anyway, I need 60,000 XP before I can get the T8 carrier and hopefully that will have more punch than the Furious (which shoulda been named the Slightly Perturbed).  

• Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
5,037 posts
15,593 battles
2 hours ago, BlizzardHero said:

Oh I know who to blame for this.... From 0.8.0.1 to current patch,

• BB complainers
  • CC complainers (mainly "whine chase"),
  • AND EU WG staff...

Neutered what ever DMG by at least %70 compared to 0.8.0,

Meanwhile Rockets and bombs are the only reliable weapons while using the "Slingshot" method to minimize AA DMG to their planes to next to nothing.

Its affecting population numbers too. So far for this summer weekend population on the servers were below 7k...

This meta is unsustainable... Problem is, they're trying to "make it fit/work."

"this is how we fix problem in WOWS/WG"

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,712 posts
3,895 battles
28 minutes ago, Idaho_Spud said:

For good reason.

Nothing justifies acting like a spiteful child, stop acting like it's okay to do this just because you don't like the ship type.

• Cool 3
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 3

[-BUI-]
Members
1,331 posts
3,445 battles

You forgot to mention how horribly SLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW the planes are now.      I'm usually out of boost recharges by the 10 minute mark because if you don't hold down boost during your ENTIRE flight it'll take 3 minutes to get anywhere.    OR, you could attempt to move up...and instantly die from the 500 AP shells fired at you from 20 KM the instant you become visible at all.   

Your experience is 100% dictated by if your teammates have any clue what they're doing.    If the other team is even SLIGHTLY smart about smoke/fighter/AA usage, you can be almost totally negated...meanwhile, your DDs are sailing full speed to the other side of the map with their AA turned on and get detonated in the first rocket wave by the enemy CV.     You could be the best CV captain in the world and you WILL lose and have a boring and horrible game if your team decides to be awful.

Edited by Zenn3k
  • Cool 2

Members
524 posts

WG and the "Staff" Are not listening. 

You have successfully wasted valuable time typing this catalog.

[USFF]
Members
429 posts
6,904 battles
1 hour ago, Final8ty said:

Just had a Double CV perside game T8 Battle, only the 4 CVs lived.

I'm losing patience, If the next patch does not balance the CVs than i will move from dont mind CVs in battles to remove them.

If you can't cure my cancer with medication and therapy then cut it out.

Respectfully, you can take that position but it still won’t matter. They will never remove them. 

[H_]
Members
2,437 posts

et al....

Sorry you're not happy but, CV's at 8.0 were at the worst there could have been....  A sale gimmick run amok,  with no hope of ever succeeding; because, they are dissimilar weapons systems and no matter what our host can or will do, NO ONE will ever be happy unless one side of the argument is so OP they can farm....   And that, is the receipt for disaster.  As it is right now....

[UMP]
Members
251 posts
4,300 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

CC complainers (mainly "whine chase"

I believe he prefers cryChase or iLie.

• Funny 1

[PHASE]
Members
4,737 posts
16,162 battles
2 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

You're in the wrong place if you're looking for sympathy. 9/10ths of the people on this forum pray every night for every single terrible thing conceivable to happen to CV players, no matter how petty, spiteful, or horrifically cruel it may be.

wrong AF. 

they pray for the game to get better to protect how much they spent.

• Cool 3