GreyMatter51

Looking for advice on premium ship for PVE

43 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
3 posts
785 battles

I recently started playing WoWS (casually mind you) and I have been enjoying the PVE aspect of it quite a bit and really have been enjoying the scenarios. I have some doubloons and should be able to afford a premium (or make up the difference). What I am looking for (and have not really been able to find anything doing some searches) are some pointers on which premiums I need to be looking at. 

I am mainly focusing on working my way up the USN Battleship and Cruiser lines (actually have a Cleveland that I had ground out before the split and up-tier but not the current T6 or T7). I am also grinding out the German cruiser and battleship lines as well. I am also casually working my way up the other Cruiser and Battleship lines.

What are some good recommendations for premiums that I could also use in scenarios?

[HINON]
Supertester
21,338 posts
15,057 battles

Arizona for USN is an all round decent ship.

Atlanta and Indianapolis are squishy cruisers but T7 so can be used in more scenarios.

Ashitaka is a solid entry for the Japanese and is also T7 and can be used more in scenarios.

• Cool 2

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
393 posts
4,673 battles

Boise is a good pve light cruiser for tier 7. If you dont mind other nations there are some decent tier 6 cruisers. DeGrasse and GrafSpee for instance.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
1,563 posts
6,033 battles

Warspite is pretty good in operations as well as co-op.  She has15 inch main guns and they hit pretty darned hard.  She also has really good secondary armament.  She is an excellent Royal Navy battleship captain trainer.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
616 posts
5,094 battles

Scharnhorst - it’s a great ship in its own right, in addition to being an excellent trainer for German battleship and cruiser captains.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
8,007 posts
14,639 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Arizona for USN is an all round decent ship.

I would question Arizona for PVE, too slow and long loading. For PVE DDs are great they get into the battle and can inflict massive damage once you know what you are doing. Cruisers are great for Operations but with the limited amount of Ops scenarios right now you have to have a tier 6 and a tier 7 to play the weekly ops.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,621 posts
15,895 battles

Atlanta.

250k profit.

Insta deletes destroyers. 

Insta deletes broadside cruisers.

When CV bots come back AA will be helpful. 

Radar.

Arizona for a BB

[SALVO]
Members
21,703 posts
22,016 battles
37 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I would question Arizona for PVE, too slow and long loading. For PVE DDs are great they get into the battle and can inflict massive damage once you know what you are doing. Cruisers are great for Operations but with the limited amount of Ops scenarios right now you have to have a tier 6 and a tier 7 to play the weekly ops.

Dawg, I agree with you on the Arizona for PVE.  Honestly, it feels better suited to Randoms where there are more targets, and battles don't end so quickly.  PVE tends to favor cruisers and DDs, and faster BBs.  And it really stinks when you're in a mid tier coop battle and your slow BB just can't get close enough for accurate fire before the DDs and cruisers have already wiped out all of the bots.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
21,703 posts
22,016 battles
22 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Atlanta.

250k profit.

Insta deletes destroyers. 

Insta deletes broadside cruisers.

When CV bots come back AA will be helpful. 

Radar.

Arizona for a BB

Atlanta is a good, safe choice for pretty much any mode; coop, randoms, or operations.  The Boise is too.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,499 posts
6,884 battles

Mutsu is fun to use as it has fast loading torps in fact they reload faster than even the main guns.

[CK5]
Members
1,081 posts
9,805 battles

If you like German cruisers, then Prinz Eugen at T8 is very comfortable to play.  I would also recommend the Scharnhorst at T7, which is advertised as a battleship but plays more like a cruiser.  Both will make some credits in co-op.  

[CO-OP]
Members
322 posts
17,765 battles

Atlanta, Boise, Okhotnik, Tirpitz, Cossack, Flint.

All of which will return good profits. Personally if I'm trying to accumulate some cash to buy and or outfit a new boat I'll run Atlanta, Flint, Missouri and Tirpitz in rotation to avoid boredom.

Edited by Efros

[PHD]
Members
637 posts
2,904 battles

If you want detailed info on premium ships check out Little White Mouse reviews in this forum. 

Another way to find them is go to WoWS global wiki. Go to the ships page click the premium ships list and it will display all the premium ships. Click on a ship and on that information page will be a link to LWM's review. A very good read. 

[PVE]
Members
971 posts
30,990 battles
4 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Scharnhorst - it’s a great ship in its own right, in addition to being an excellent trainer for German battleship and cruiser captains.

This

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
181 posts
5,976 battles

Here is a list of all the Operations.

Current:

Defense of Naval Station Newport, T6, unrestricted.

Aegis, T6, unrestricted.

Killer Whale, T6, unrestricted.

Narai, T7, unrestricted.

On hiatus:

Raptor Rescue, T6, unrestricted.

The Ultimate Frontier, T7, unrestricted.

Hermes, T7 cruisers (French, British & US only) plus T7 & T8 French battleships.

Cherry Blossom, T8 cruisers. (French, British, US & Russian only)

Operation Dynamo, T6 & T7 destroyers. (French, British, US, Russian, Polish & Commonwealth only)

Here are the current premiums available for Operations, by nation. S = Premium Shop for money, C = Armory for Coal,  D = Tech Tree for Doubloons

For USA:

T6 premiums are DD Monaghan(SC), BB Arizona(SC) & BB West Virginia 1941(S).  Definitely prefer Arizona.

T7 premiums are DD Sims(SCD), CA Indianapolis(SCD), CL Boise(S) & CL Atlanta(SC). Prefer the CLs, with a slight nod to Boise due to heal.

T8 premium CA Wichita(S) should qualify for Cherry Blossom if it returns. Both Tech Tree cruisers (Cleveland & Baltimore) excel in this OP.

If I had to choose just one US premium it would be Arizona.  Qualifies for 3 of 4 current OPs, excellent trainer.

For doubloons only, the choices would be Sims or Indianapolis. I would go with Indianapolis.

For Germany:

T6 premiums are CA Admiral Graf Spee(SCD), DD T-61(S) & BB Prinz Eitel Friedrich(S).  Prefer PEF w/secondary build.

T7 premiums are DD Z-39(SCD) & BB Scharnhorst(SCD).  Scharnhorst all the way.

If I had to choose just one German premium it would be Scharnhorst. Brawling battlecruiser with torps? Yes please.

For Japan:

T6 premium is BB Mutsu(SCD).  Has torps that reload faster than main armament.

T7 premium is BB Ashitaka(SCD). Fast, flexible battlecruiser. Second BB choice for Ultimate Frontier. (1st choice Gneisenau w/secondary build)

If I had to choose just one Japanese premium it would be Mutsu, for the torp luls.

For UK:

T6 premiums are DD Gallant(SC) & BB Warspite(SCD).  Warspite hands down, very solid ship.

T7 premiums are BBs Hood(SCD) & Duke of York(SC). Prefer the Duke of York because it has hydro.

If I had to choose just one British premium it would be Warspite. The Grand Old Lady doesn't disappoint.

Also, T7 BB Nelson is available in tech tree for 375,000 FXP.  Has superheal.  Zombie boat is fun boat.

For USSR:

T6 premium is CL Molotov(SCD).  Accurate guns, 180mm AP very effective against Killer Whale forts.

T7 premium is DD Leningrad(SCD).  Very fast, solid DD for OPs.  Meep, meep.

If I had to choose just one Russian premium it would be Molotov, mostly because it qualifies for 3 of 4 current OPs.

For France:

T6 premiums are DD Aigle(SC), BB Dunkerque(SCD) & CL De Grasse(SCD).  Prefer Dunkerque, like forward battery arrangement.

No T7 premiums currently available.

T8 premium is BB Gascogne(SCD), Can only be used in Hermes.

If I had to choose just one French premium it would be Dunkerque.

If I were forced to choose one, and only one, of these ships, it would be Scharnhorst.

• Cool 4

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
591 posts
16,691 battles

7 hours ago, GreyMatter51 said:

I recently started playing WoWS (casually mind you) and I have been enjoying the PVE aspect of it quite a bit and really have been enjoying the scenarios. I have some doubloons and should be able to afford a premium (or make up the difference). What I am looking for (and have not really been able to find anything doing some searches) are some pointers on which premiums I need to be looking at. 

I am mainly focusing on working my way up the USN Battleship and Cruiser lines (actually have a Cleveland that I had ground out before the split and up-tier but not the current T6 or T7). I am also grinding out the German cruiser and battleship lines as well. I am also casually working my way up the other Cruiser and Battleship lines.

What are some good recommendations for premiums that I could also use in scenarios?

Since you have posted this on the PVE sub-forum, I will limit my comments to co-op/operations gameplay.  Also, given your preferences and low battle count, I will further limit this to USN, and KM cruisers and battleships tiers 4-7.

USN battleships are Texas, Arizona, and West Virginia.  The biggest issue with USN battleships in PVE is speed.  Texas might be a good choice when it is top tier, but when bottom tier you will be watching your fellow captains sink the red bots, and hope that they mess up (severely) and leave you something to shoot.  Arizona and West Virginia have similar issues, but their saving grace is that they can be used in operations, but even in operations I would prefer the Colorado.  In short, I would not recommend any of the USN BBs for you.

On the USN cruiser side there are:  Marblehead (Lima,) Atlanta, Boise, and Indianapolis.  Of these the Marblehead is a variant of the Omaha, so if you really liked the Omaha this is a great choice.  The downside is that you will be up-tiered frequently.  This does have the advantage of additional rewards and really teaches you how to play cruisers, because if you make a mistake you are going to pay.  The Atlanta and Boise are solid choices.  Indianapolis is a good USN heavy cruiser, but Boise is a better choice for a newer player because of her heal.  Atlanta is a solid choice if you like spewing HE.  It will teach you how to play light cruisers (angle, use cover.)  Boise, is more middle-of-the-road cruiser.  Boise will teach proper ammunition selection and how to run a cruiser, and because of the repair party, you often get a second chance if you make a mistake.  You could also use Boise in a pinch to re-train battleship captains, since many of your battleship captain skills will work on her.

On the KM (German) cruiser side there is the Graf Spee.  The Graf Spee has big guns.  She is a battlecruiser and plays more like a battleship than a cruiser.  At tier 6 you can also use her in operations

KM battleships are: Prinz Eitel Frederich (t6,) and Scharnhorst (t7.)  You could use either of these in operations. 

Given a choice I would prefer Graf Spee over PEF at t6, and Scharnhorst at t7, and of these 2 I would go with the Scharnhorst.

TL,DR:  on the USN side I would recommend Atlanta if you like to pew-pew HE, or the Boise which is a more well-rounded ship. 

On the KM side I would go with the Sharnhorst.

Edited by HamptonRoads

[FOG]
Members
619 posts
6,471 battles

Like several of the postings above I recommend the Scharnhorst as it is a great ship and so much fun to play. As Yuro notes in his YouTube video, when you are top tier you are a mighty BB and when bottom tier among a fleet of Tier IX BBs you quickly become a cruiser. It is relatively fast, with excellent secondaries and torps for brawling and suitably fast firing guns to help when you are in a killing gun fight in a telephone booth.....

Although many hate it I also really enjoy the Graf Spee as it is so "different" and with the 8 km torps with the excellent firing angles can really help in defense and offense.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,940 posts
8 hours ago, Capn_Nugget said:

Boise is a good pve light cruiser for tier 7. If you dont mind other nations there are some decent tier 6 cruisers. DeGrasse and GrafSpee for instance.

Yup, a Helena with a heal, and better secondaries is just plain mean in the right situation, lol.   I love my Boise, and it's Halsey's flagship.

With the impending return of CV's to Co-op,  Texas may be a good addition to your fleet as well.    I'm biased, as it holds 2nd place in my fleet for most kills, but it's a surprisingly good ship for the mode.  Who cares if you're slow- when the enemy team comes to you?

Arizona has nasty gunnery- I just won a duel with 2 Soviet BB's in it, including trading citadels with the second after I sank the first.   "Oh Really?!  No- eff YOU!"    In fact, I'm fairly sure mine actually has Pennsylvania's crew aboard, lol.   The problem is, AZ has rather poor AA- esp for a US BB.   That might hurt, once the CV's return.

Both are rather fun- and quite effective- when the fight plays out to your advantage.

To be honest, there are VERY few premium US BB's or cruisers that AREN'T worth the $$.   Indy can be a bit sketchy, but it still sports the same 8" rifles the other US CA;s get- so it's quite capable of blowing the hell out of anything that gives it the opportunity.   I don't care for Marblehead that much- it's just a tweaked Omaha.  Some really like it, though- so YMMV.

For DD's, Sims is an absolute blast.  It's the gunbote from hell.  Fast, and with highly capable AA as well.    Sims was also the ship to bring to Dynamo.  The other 2 are oddballs- very different takes on their tech tree counterparts.  Most love em or hate em.

For the sake of your sanity (and wallet) I'll leave off the high tier premiums.   Those are REALLY good, but if you aren't already in the high tiers,  they'll make you tear your hair out, trying to play them.   (been there, done that with Kutuzof, when I was a much newer player.  I still haven't forgiven it yet, lol)

For Germans,  I don't have that many- and the ones I have, I don't play.  (I'm not to that point in the DD line yet,  I have T-61, and the tier 8? Z-whatever).   Graf Spee is pretty good- VERY generous torpedo arcs!    Tirpitz makes me want to put my fist through my monitor with it's awful gunnery. (a high tier German BB trademark.)   Scharn,  I just forget I have it, lol.   I prefer Nassau to Fat Albert tbh.    The one I do like best,  Prinz Eugen, is a tier 8.  It's Rather tanky for a cruiser in this game AND is has a heal.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,138 posts
21,301 battles
11 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

I agree, the Scharnhorst is a good ship for co-op but would only mention that Tirpitz is quite good too and can be used to complete most campaign missions since she is a tier higher. 

The German BBs do well in PvE because almost every game is fought in close quarters where the Germans do well. Accurate long range gunnery isn't needed when you are toe to toe with the bots. You need to be able to dish out damage and absorb a bunch in return. 

[WOLFC]
Members
616 posts
5,094 battles
19 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I agree, the Scharnhorst is a good ship for co-op but would only mention that Tirpitz is quite good too and can be used to complete most campaign missions since she is a tier higher. 

The German BBs do well in PvE because almost every game is fought in close quarters where the Germans do well. Accurate long range gunnery isn't needed when you are toe to toe with the bots. You need to be able to dish out damage and absorb a bunch in return. 

Tirpitz (as well as Bismarck) is also set to get a penetration buff to it's 105mm secondaries, giving them 25mm of penetration without IFHE. This will really help her combat performance.

The reasons I would recommend Scharnhorst over Tirpitz are:

1) Scharnhorst can do tier 7 ops (as someone mentioned, she's the queen of Narai)

2) Tirpitz is very similar to Bismarck, and outside of PVE the torpedoes are very situational. In contrast, Scharnhorst's fast firing, fast rotating 283mm guns make the ship a unique playing experience.

3) As I mentioned earlier, Scharnhorst can perform well with either a BB or cruiser captain - she's very flexible and does not really NEED any specific commander skills to be viable. This isn't such a big deal in PVE, but if the OP ever decides to branch out into Randoms its a nice trait to have.

But I suppose its 6 in one hand, a half dozen in another.

Edited by Nevermore135

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,245 posts
19,617 battles
On 6/23/2019 at 8:49 AM, GreyMatter51 said:

For Premium USN BBs & USN Cruisers, there's all kinds of good choices.

BBs

Personally, I am reluctant to recommend the mid tier USN BB Premiums because of their woeful speed.  For example, Arizona has respectable armor and fantastic gunnery, but the 21kt speed means by the time you get to your preferred engagement ranges, the DDs & Cruisers have killed everything before you got there.

VIII Massachusetts - For the purpose of Co-op, Mass is better than Alabama because of the Mega Secondaries she has.  Co-op is 90% brawling, and Massachusetts because of the secondaries is easy money and appropriate to the mode of play.

IX Georgia - Fantastic secondaries like Mass but on a fast sailing Iowa-class hull.  Fast shooting 457mm guns.  You can get this ship for Coal in the Arsenal.

CRUISERS

VII Atlanta - Captain skills BFT, AFT, and IFHE that you use on Massachusetts / Georgia fit PERFECTLY on Atlanta.

VII Boise - Kind of like Helena.  152mm x15 goodness.  But your range isn't as long as Helena.  However, you got Repair Party.  Even better, your USN 152mm armed CL captains will swap in perfectly on Boise.

VII Flint - If you ever get the steel, Flint is a nice one.  She is basically an Atlanta with 2 fewer guns, longer range torpedoes, and more importantly... SMOKE.

X Salem - A member of the Des Moines-class CAs.  Powerful 203mm guns that fire as fast as Light Cruiser guns.  You got a powerful repair party also.  A Premium Tier X ship is great because in Co-op, getting profits in a Tech Tree Tier X can be a bit difficult due to the very high servicing costs, even with Tier X Perma-Camo.  But a Premium Ship is cheaper to run than a tech tree.  The Des Moines-class in general is the crown jewel of the best things about USN Heavy Cruisers.

IX Alaska - One of the "Super Cruisers" as it blurs some of the characteristics of a BB and Cruiser.  Available in the Arsenal for FreeXP.

GERMAN BBs

VIII Tirpitz - A very old Premium but in the brawly nature of Co-op, Tirpitz is fantastic.  There are 3 Battleships in the entire game that have torpedoes, and Tirpitz is one of them.

VII Scharnhorst - Fast sailing, agile BB but the guns are kind of weak being only 283mm.  She is also one of the 3 torpedo equipped BBs in the game, third being tech tree Gneisenau in this tier.  A very fun ship to use.

EDIT:  I messed up, I missed Tier VI Mutsu and Tier VIII Kii, who are also BBs with torpedoes.

GERMAN CRUISERS

VIII Prinz Eugen - Admiral Hipper-class CA but she has Repair Party access.  This CA will excel around confined waters where stalking with her many torpedoes makes her ideal for such work.

Keep an eye on the news for a WiP Tier IX German "Super Cruiser" called Siegfried.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,138 posts
21,301 battles
1 hour ago, Nevermore135 said:

Tirpitz (as well as Bismarck) is also set to get a penetration buff to it's 105mm secondaries, giving them 25mm of penetration without IFHE. This will really help her combat performance.

The reasons I would recommend Scharnhorst over Tirpitz are:

1) Scharnhorst can do tier 7 ops (as someone mentioned, she's the queen of Narai)

2) Tirpitz is very similar to Bismarck, and outside of PVE the torpedoes are very situational. In contrast, Scharnhorst's fast firing, fast rotating 283mm guns make the ship a unique playing experience.

3) As I mentioned earlier, Scharnhorst can perform well with either a BB or cruiser captain - she's very flexible and does not really NEED any specific commander skills to be viable. This isn't such a big deal in PVE, but if the OP ever decides to branch out into Randoms its a nice trait to have.

But I suppose its 6 in one hand, a half dozen in another.

I agree about using Scharn in OPs, she is a beast. The point I was making (poorly) is that both are good ships for fighting bots since everything is up close and both have good guns for that, good secondaries, and torpedos so they are perfect for in your face fights. I just wanted to say that Scharnhorst could not be used in some of the campaigns where Tirpitz could is all, because of its tier. Honestly I used my Hipper captain in both BBs for a long while since they fight like big cruisers and in co-op, it does not matter that much. I really like both ships and either one is a solid choice. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,245 posts
19,617 battles

With WG working on giving the Bismarck-class' 105mm secondaries the same HE Pen Bonus FDG's own version of those same guns got, Tirpitz is going to look even better.

[TCNNA]
Members
956 posts
16,580 battles

For tier 6 you can also wait for Ark Cv

Probably terrible in coop ( most time in tier 8 battle ....good luck there) but great in scenarios.

If the team is normal you can come out top damage. 

If team is super good.....you gain less but not so much

(If Ark is good as grind cv)