You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LAnybody

At what point is IFHE a real viable choice?

7 comments in this topic

[BIER]
Members
230 posts
4,354 battles

So, IFHE allows the US 127mm gun to go from 20mm of penetration to 27mm of penetration.  That's over three very important thresholds: 21, 25, and 27mm.  I consider that a very good investment.

The question is, at what point in the US DD line do people think that's a good 4-point investment?  Once you start getting stuff covered in 25mm of armor for CAs and BBs, without IFHE, your guns are pretty useless against them.  That happens about T7 or so. 

But, you have to give up something for that 4 points.

Traditionally, I go for PM, LS, SE, CE as the 10 point captain, like most other DD lines.  I generally do SI and AR as well.  My question to everyone here:  which US DDs, T6 and up, would you consider putting IFHE on instead of something like TAE or DE or BFT?

Where in the line do you folks find gunboating against CAs and BBs really something that works well for the US DDs, instead of just focusing on torping them?

Edited by LAnybody
  • Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
5,051 posts
15,593 battles

RU DDs no

German DDs no

All other lines mandatory..

Its a basic guide more to it but it covers what you asked.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,162 posts
11,149 battles

Basically you want it if it can get your HE pen past the plating threshold for your tier. For example 150mm guns can't pen the 32mm plating of T8 BBs unless you have IFHE.

Spoiler

Or you are a Henri in CB where your 240mm guns can't pen the 50mm plating of Stalinu, Moskva unless you have IFHE.

Edited by pikohan

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,719 posts
7,711 battles

- Any CL with access to HE at T5+ carrying 150-155mm guns, excluding Germans

- Henri IV

- Full Secondary builds

Basically those three

[BIER]
Members
230 posts
4,354 battles

Folks, this question is specifically in the US DD forum.

I'm asking ONLY about US DDs. Nothing else.  That was pretty clear in the question.

I'm well aware of the advantages of IFHE, I want to know what other people's experience with using IFHE (and the tradeoffs required) for the upper-tier (T7+) US destroyer line.  That is, for US DD players, how does using IFHE (and the focus on gunboating against CAs and BBs) compare to playstyles which focus on torpedoes, or gunboating against DD/CLs?  Which US DDs really do well if you focus this way, and which don't?

Edited by LAnybody

[CUTER]
Members
2,864 posts
12,056 battles

IFHE in my opinion would be nice to have, but other things are more important.

I would rather have DE over IFHE since I am often only shooting at CA and BBS to follow up after they use DCP.  It’s cheaper points wise. I tend to use a lot of AP on broadside ships even at max range, so IFHE is further decreased in impotence.

I prefer SE, SI, AR, and RPF over IFHE.

• Cool 1