You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Xeonplz

Izumo in 2019, is she still... by far worst tier 9?

12 comments in this topic

[BRUH]
Members
8 posts
5,320 battles

I  grinded Izumo long ago and it was, ruff. I think back to its redeeming features and the trolly armor is all  "o that shoulda killed me but it did nothing lul". Recently a friend of mine started playing again and he was still at the amagi, i have recommended that he grind through to the Yammy. I fear i have errored the Izumo then and even after the buff's now seems like a soul crushing grind more than likely to discourage someone from playing. Is it still that bad?

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,752 posts
18,164 battles

No, her buffs have made her competitive.  That said, her design still throws people who think she's a Dunkirk.

[WORX]
Members
5,032 posts
15,593 battles

Relatively speaking... Even with buffs here and there has improved her quality of grinding experience.

In the end comparing the other tier BB she'll face... The Izumo has a meh reputation... Their are BBs that are over capable/over powerful then her in her tier. However, your grinding experience will be tolerable now.

Edited by Navalpride33

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,156 posts
11,135 battles

It's not that the Izumo is weak, it's that we have all these stupid ships like Misery, Mushi, and JB running around in T9.

Edited by pikohan
  • Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Members
2,109 posts
5,926 battles

Lion is probably the worst atm, not Izumo. Like pikohan said, the issue is more a lot of T9 premiums are memeships, rather than Izumo being weak.

Members
948 posts
4,337 battles

Izumo is a long range heavy hitting sniper. If you can go bow on with her forward 6 guns most of the battle, should be a good game

Edited by Strachwitz666

[UN1]
Members
641 posts
2,327 battles
16 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

She's fine now.  The weakest Tier IX BB right now is IMO, FDG.

On the contrary, I think FDG is one of the, if not the strongest T9 tech tree BB.

• Cool 1

[BRUH]
Members
8 posts
5,320 battles

Sorry but i don't think the Izumo is a long range shooter, the amagi has much better accuracy at max range even with 2 guns per turret.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,245 posts
19,617 battles
10 hours ago, Ranari said:

On the contrary, I think FDG is one of the, if not the strongest T9 tech tree BB.

For High Tier BBs, I value Main Battery performance considerably because Tier X games, which Tier IX players should expect to find themselves in 90% of the time, are dictated a lot by long range gun battles.

The 105mm Secondary HE Pen Buff and improved gun reload for FDG is great, but it still means she's an 8-gun German Dispersion Battleship in Tier IX.  The guns shoot faster now, yes, but it's still German BB Dispersion.

Izumo's gunnery, even before her numerous buffs, was never in doubt.  I respected them as an opponent.  Now Izumo's 410mm AP have almost the same penetration capability as Yamato-class 460mm AP.  Gunnery at range was always pretty good.  Her crucial weakness before, 32mm armor all over the place for such a big ship, no longer exists.  She used to melt very quickly from HE Spam before the changes, not anymore.  HE Spammers don't even have a bulky set of Superstructure to aim for as Izumo barely has any.

IMO the only thing Izumo suffers from right now is her old reputation.  Despite all the considerable improvements she has had, there will be a lot of old players that had her in her sh*tty days that will blindingly say she's a bad ship, despite the reality of her current post-buffs state.  And when newer players ask questions about Izumo, those same old players will blindingly, quickly tell how bad she is.  And it will go on.  She's never going to shake off her old reputation.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[UN1]
Members
641 posts
2,327 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

For High Tier BBs, I value Main Battery performance considerably because Tier X games, which Tier IX players should expect to find themselves in 90% of the time, are dictated a lot by long range gun battles.

The 105mm Secondary HE Pen Buff and improved gun reload for FDG is great, but it still means she's an 8-gun German Dispersion Battleship in Tier IX.  The guns shoot faster now, yes, but it's still German BB Dispersion.

Izumo's gunnery, even before her numerous buffs, was never in doubt.  I respected them as an opponent.  Now Izumo's 410mm AP have almost the same penetration capability as Yamato-class 460mm AP.  Gunnery at range was always pretty good.  Her crucial weakness before, 32mm armor all over the place for such a big ship, no longer exists.  She used to melt very quickly from HE Spam before the changes, not anymore.  HE Spammers don't even have a bulky set of Superstructure to aim for as Izumo barely has any.

IMO the only thing Izumo suffers from right now is her old reputation.  Despite all the considerable improvements she has had, there will be a lot of old players that had her in her sh*tty days that will blindingly say she's a bad ship, despite the reality of her current post-buffs state.  And when newer players ask questions about Izumo, those same old players will blindingly, quickly tell how bad she is.  And it will go on.  She's never going to shake off her old reputation.

That's pretty much the only thing the FDG suffers from.  While high tier engagements are more defined by their long range performance, there's still plenty of space for the FDG to shine where she's been built to excel in. 

The greatest challenge for people who play the FDG is not playing it like a traditional dreadnought.  If people play it like that same-ole sit-back open water sniper, then yeah, she's trash.  But if players use island cover to force close range engagements while providing area-denial to cap zones with her secondaries then she can't be beaten. 

• Cool 1

[BIER]
Members
230 posts
4,323 battles

I would agree with @HazeGrayUnderway for the most part, with one remaining issue:  the Izumo's in-practice DPM is pretty bad.

That's because you can very rarely get the 3rd turret into play.  You're pretty much stuck with using just the front 2, as the 3rd is still really hard to get into play.

While the Izumo doesn't have the cheek citadel issue that the Yammy/Musashi does, it's still not a ship you really want to expose much broadside in, as it will take really punishing damage, even from CA AP.   So you can't really park at the 30 degree angle you need to get that 3rd turret into play.  And lord forbid if you need to switch targets.

It's a bow-tanker all the way now, and its lack of decent manuverability means that getting outflanked is a *serious* problem and deadly weakness, as it can't extract itself like a Jean Bart can, or even something like a NC or Iowa can.

The Izumo is effectively a 6-gun ship with mediocre reload, in a fairly static platform. That's where it seriously struggles these days.