You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

Secondary Gun Firing Ranges Incorrect ?

14 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
1,783 posts
18,337 battles

Ok been noticing lately when playing games in Capital ships that although they state there secondary gun ranges open fire at  range A when engaging a enemy ship, however this does not seem to be the case as on many occasions the secondaries don't seem to open up until it reaches range B now at first I put this down to "line of sight issues " land masses, other ships in the way and other things that would block the view of the enemy ship.

However I just played The IJN Myogi in a Coop game I bring the old Girl out when I need to perform quick event tasks and such, now I engaged 5 ships throughout the course of the battle, a DD which was at some period sailing around a island, a Battleship again sailing close to a island and had some protection as I closed range, then a second battleship which had very little Island cover, a Cruiser who had very little island cover when I finally reached secondary range and finally a last Battleship which was out in the middle of ocean with no cover at all.

IJN Myogi's secondary firing range is 3.5 KM this last BB in particular is the most noticeably incident no cover, open water and yet when I reached the 3.5 KM marker the guns were silent, they finally opened up at 3.2 KM range, like I said I have noticed this on other ships in other battles.

Either the secondary range on all ships are wrong or has WG instituted some sought of new mechanic when it comes to secondaries when they fire because I was under the impression that once you hit the range they open up not only that I remember when I first started playing this back 2015 that once you hit ranged they opened up, did I miss the memo sometime in the year or so ago:Smile_amazed:

Also is my memory wrong didn't IJN Myogi's main guns fire over 19 Km or again did I miss the memo on them being nerfed down to 18.6 KM range. 

This is the battle I just had if any of the DEV's want to look at it the best example of this discrepancy is the last enemy BB I engaged you can clearly see that its not until the 3.2 KM mark the guns open up (hopefully this download works to see )

regards 

20190623_104132_PJSB003-Myogi-1912_13_OC_new_dawn.wowsreplay           

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,988 posts
9,101 battles
28 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Ok been noticing lately when playing games in Capital ships that although they state there secondary gun ranges open fire at  range A when engaging a enemy ship, however this does not seem to be the case as on many occasions the secondaries don't seem to open up until it reaches range B now at first I put this down to "line of sight issues " land masses, other ships in the way and other things that would block the view of the enemy ship.

if AA is any indication, BBs engage a target with their secondary guns, unloaded. Which would explain an initial delay, as sailors are turned out of bunks, I pick my nose, someone remembers to put the shells in the guns, the right way round, and an officer rolls a pair of dice, until a lucky number (7 usually), before whispering "ok lads, you can fire away now, if you feel like it."

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,344 posts
10,077 battles

What Lovebote said - pretty sure it has an initial delay before firing. Because it's not like when your in an active fleet engagement or taking shell fire from enemy ships at 8 km out that your at battlestations - still need your morning coffee. 

• Funny 1

[POP]
Members
1,783 posts
18,337 battles
1 hour ago, LoveBote said:

if AA is any indication, BBs engage a target with their secondary guns, unloaded. Which would explain an initial delay, as sailors are turned out of bunks, I pick my nose, someone remembers to put the shells in the guns, the right way round, and an officer rolls a pair of dice, until a lucky number (7 usually), before whispering "ok lads, you can fire away now, if you feel like it."

33 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

What Lovebote said - pretty sure it has an initial delay before firing. Because it's not like when your in an active fleet engagement or taking shell fire from enemy ships at 8 km out that your at battlestations - still need your morning coffee. 

OK well you would not want to be in a ship with low health trying to stay alive hoping your Secondaries will save the day in that case.

Thanks for the helpful info Gents plus 1 to you both :Smile_honoring:

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,616 battles

The guns take a second to start firing on ships in the target area. Whether that is a new ship just wondering in, or shifting targets to another ship. It has been working like this for a long long time.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,949 posts

Basically your secondary guns must "load" their first shell after swinging to a target. This can lead to comedy where your guns never fire if the little hamster in each secondary mount keeps switching between targets even though it should already be loaded.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Supertester
864 posts
4,871 battles
1 hour ago, TornadoADV said:

Basically your secondary guns must "load" their first shell after swinging to a target. This can lead to comedy where your guns never fire if the little hamster in each secondary mount keeps switching between targets even though it should already be loaded.

This is solved completely by manually assigning a target. (Ctrl + Left Click)

[BROOK]
2,949 posts
On 6/23/2019 at 12:57 AM, Kaga_Kai_Ni said:

This is solved completely by manually assigning a target. (Ctrl + Left Click)

Did...did you really just post that? I'm not sure on what level of comprehension you are on, but it obviously isn't high enough. Poor programming, is still poor programming, even if you can minimize the effects by forcing the back-end processes to only fire at a single target when it's within their arc. (And is still visible if said target keeps sliding in and out of a secondary gun's arc.)

IE : It shouldn't be the way it is, secondary guns should load from the start of the match and STAY loaded when tracking a target that's not staying in their arc or switching between targets within said arc. It would be REALLY stupid if your main battery turrets unloaded every time you pressed X to manually switch the target your guns are trained on. (Or the game automatically switched to depending on where your camera is pointing.)

[DAKI]
Privateers, Supertester
864 posts
4,871 battles
15 hours ago, TornadoADV said:

Did...did you really just post that? I'm not sure on what level of comprehension you are on, but it obviously isn't high enough. Poor programming, is still poor programming, even if you can minimize the effects by forcing the back-end processes to only fire at a single target when it's within their arc. (And is still visible if said target keeps sliding in and out of a secondary gun's arc.)

IE : It shouldn't be the way it is, secondary guns should load from the start of the match and STAY loaded when tracking a target that's not staying in their arc or switching between targets within said arc. It would be REALLY stupid if your main battery turrets unloaded every time you pressed X to manually switch the target your guns are trained on. (Or the game automatically switched to depending on where your camera is pointing.)

That isn't what I was referring to.

I was referring to :

On 6/23/2019 at 5:15 AM, TornadoADV said:

This can lead to comedy where your guns never fire if the little hamster in each secondary mount keeps switching between targets even though it should already be loaded.

If it keeps switching between targets, it's because you've not assigned them a primary target. If you assign them a target, they'll always focus him if they have LoS. 

However, sure.
Go out of your way to insult me, for giving you advice on how to improve your gameplay.
I'm sure you'll get far in life, insulting people who help you.

[RC_MP]
[RC_MP]
Members
499 posts
15,101 battles

A couple of things:

1. Most secondary ranges listed in the UI are rounded numbers. For example, a full secondary spec Nagato has a listed secondary range of 7.6km but an actual range of 7.56km.
  2. Ships are constantly changing positions. Nagato's guns will start tracking a ship at 7.56km but won't fire until they have aligned with the correct shell path. This is the so called "delay" before your guns fire. By the time they start firing, the ships would have closed the range to something like 7.50km. Contrary to what people say, secondaries are loaded by default and will fire immediately after reaching the correct angle. This is why 152mm and 155mm secondary batteries will fire after a short delay, rather than waiting for the full 12s to load the guns.
  3. Secondaries won't fire if you lose line of sight (resets tracking) or if the target is obscured by an object (landmass, shipwrecks, etc). Some secondary guns have very flat arcs that can't fire over obstacles and stop firing when a ship is behind cover.
  4. Rendering delay. In some cases a ship might not render immediately upon spotting it. This rarely happens now but could be a cause.
Edited by AbyssAngkor

[BROOK]
2,949 posts
On 6/26/2019 at 4:24 PM, Kaga_Kai_Ni said:

However, sure.

Go out of your way to insult me, for giving you advice on how to improve your gameplay.
I'm sure you'll get far in life, insulting people who help you.

Your fault for assuming I needed help or educating in the first place.

IE : Didn't need, want or ask for your "help".

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
7,484 posts

The major cause (and problem) is the "wait till they're in range to load" delay.

Secondaries and AA should immediately load at battle start, just like main guns and torpedoes. 

[BROOK]
2,949 posts
On 6/26/2019 at 6:54 PM, AbyssAngkor said:

Contrary to what people say, secondaries are loaded by default and will fire immediately after reaching the correct angle. This is why 152mm and 155mm secondary batteries will fire after a short delay, rather than waiting for the full 12s to load the guns.

That is incorrect in the extreme. Anybody can start up a training room right now and see that is not the case.

Members
23,232 posts
5,860 battles
On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 9:57 PM, LoveBote said:

Makes sense, I've noticed it does take longer for Amagi's 2ndaries to kick in than Gneisenau's.