You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Two Brothers...Up the Middle

24 comments in this topic

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
182 posts
2,185 battles

I’m an average player and even I know to never go up the middle on that map. 

The only time I would consider it would be toward the end of a match and I need a shortcut to get to the other side of the map with a slow BB, and I know the positions of the remaining red ships. 

Members
855 posts
3,818 battles

I remember going up the middle one time in my first few battles in the Nicholas a few years ago. I completely destroyed a Scharnhorst with one volley of torpedoes, capped the point, caused chaos in the team and won the game. Was one of my favorite games lmbo

[SOFOP]
Members
1,249 posts
8,810 battles

Any strategy can work in certain scenarios.

[NWNG]
Members
2,910 posts
4,823 battles

I gone center on that map, in shinonome, by literally going backwards.

It is a strategy that fails far more often, than it succeeds.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,751 posts
18,164 battles
25 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

It is a strategy that fails far more often, than it succeeds.

Yep, there are times it works but a significant number of ships going middle at beginning (let alone with CVs) it's a good barometer of failure.

[TORCH]
Members
197 posts
8,377 battles

People keep trying it.  Don't know why.  It's usually easy to counter, so long as you aren't too far out of position and have a little warning.  My most memorable example:

Early game, and CV spots CA and BB shooting the "canal".  I'm in my Lazo, and I'm closest, so I rush over to cover.  I see many people loiter at the mouth of the canal, so they can fire down the channel, but that's not the best place.  BEST, is to sit parallel to the channel, out of their site, with your stern tucked right up against the island, and angled away, just in case things don't go as planned.  This time, I had the time to do all that.  When the time was right, popped hydro, and there they were.  CA in lead, sails out and finds himself perfectly broadside to me, at point blank range, with his guns pointed the wrong way, while I'm sitting there waiting with AP loaded.  1 salvo...SIX citadels.  Switch targets, switch to torpedoes.  Chalk up a Double Strike.

[A-I-M]
Members
1,605 posts
16,988 battles
3 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

It works all the time, 10% of the time.

jjj.thumb.jpg.47ef72f296d8e2b859ea80790029c110.jpg

Standard :Smile_playing:

[LEGIT]
Members
1,861 posts
26,322 battles

It's called the idiot channel for a reason.  Sure late game and you need to be somewhere, fine.  But as a team tactic...no.

[WORX]
Members
5,030 posts
15,593 battles

I cant blame the red BB for taking adv. of your teams positioning Sochi.

With only a DD and a juicy CV ahead on the scope of the BB main guns... I dont think any BB player would not take that risk...

IF it was me, Id've taken a cruiser along for the ride.

[WOLFC]
Members
616 posts
5,094 battles
1 hour ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

People keep trying it.  Don't know why.  It's usually easy to counter, so long as you aren't too far out of position and have a little warning.

People see all the awesome center rush videos on YouTube and don’t realize that 95% of the time it results in failure and puts your team at an often insurmountable disadvantage very early in the game. Although how anyone thinks it could EVER work in a CV game I have no idea...

I do love yoloing down that channel in coop though, since you’re almost guaranteed to meet one or two ships doing the same. I’ve had some good times in my TRB Shiratsuyu and my RN DDs. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,335 posts
11,846 battles
2 hours ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

I’m an average player and even I know to never go up the middle on that map. 

The only time I would consider it would be toward the end of a match and I need a shortcut to get to the other side of the map with a slow BB, and I know the positions of the remaining red ships. 

It isn't never but it is always situational.

[NAUTY]
Members
606 posts
3 hours ago, richie_macrophage said:

I remember going up the middle one time in my first few battles in the Nicholas a few years ago. I completely destroyed a Scharnhorst with one volley of torpedoes, capped the point, caused chaos in the team and won the game. Was one of my favorite games lmbo

You will always see me on this map tell out... CHANNEL ATTACK... WHO'S IN??? 

I go the middle every game... And its the most fun you can have in the match. 

Wg.. Why can you make more maps like this with channels to move through... All your new maps are very same same.. And boring!!! 

The older maps are much batter!!!! 

• Cool 2
  • Angry 1

[WOLFG]
Members
5,977 posts
3,841 battles

Bots in coop go up the middle almost every game.

Bot win rate is about 5%.

• Funny 1

[SIC]
Members
89 posts
4,084 battles
3 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

People see all the awesome center rush videos on YouTube and don’t realize that 95% of the time it results in failure and puts your team at an often insurmountable disadvantage very early in the game. Although how anyone thinks it could EVER work in a CV game I have no idea...

I do love yoloing down that channel in coop though, since you’re almost guaranteed to meet one or two ships doing the same. I’ve had some good times in my TRB Shiratsuyu and my RN DDs. 

You'd be surprised. I've seen it work more than a few times at t10.

I once had a Midway come halfway through the channel with me (montana), and a Sov. The midway wedged himself so nobody could shoot him unless they sailed in front of 12 BB guns. Went 1/4 speed all the way. CV made sure no DDs could cross in to torp us (super fast strikes cause of him being so close), while the shared AA completely demolish enemy planes. We pushed slowly until both allied flanks had weakened the enemy enough for us to push and win the match.

I was insanely fun.

[N-W-T]
Members
1,719 posts
7,021 battles

Looks like the yamato took out one of the CVs.  If the DD wasn't there he probably would have taken out you as well, would have been a different story.  Agree it's still not a good idea. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,894 posts
15,569 battles
16 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Looks like the yamato took out one of the CVs.  If the DD wasn't there he probably would have taken out you as well, would have been a different story.  Agree it's still not a good idea. 

That's a good observation.  A bit more on the backstory.  My SBD squadron had just taken off and I was headed west when I looked at the minimap and noticed a spotted (white) icon at the mouth of the channel on the red side.  The bow was just far enough in the reds side of the channel that I knew it had to be on its way.  So based on that spot, I diverted my SBDs for a look.  Found the BB in the channel.  Made one SBD strike going in....turned and made a second strike...and was in the process of the third strike when the torps hit.  The torps didn't take him out.  I made a third run.  I don't remember who took him out.  

In retrospect, if the DD made the original spot (vice the torps) that was the saving part.  If BB had surprised my at the cap, that would have been bad.  The spot intel was enough that his fate was all but sealed as soon as I diverted the SBDs.  

Edit:  For those who don't use "last spot" location, this is a good example of where it can pay off in a big way.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[EQRN]
Members
1,318 posts
12,246 battles
19 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Bots in coop go up the middle almost every game.

Bot win rate is about 5%.

Wish they’d hardcode bots to *not* do that, as it greatly limits what people playing the objective get to do.

Also notice how many people line up at the mouth to “defend” the channel and die to the bots?  I’ve never tried defending it myself, but I guess it’s a “hard thing” to pull off :fish_palm:

Edited by FrodoFraggin

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
7,515 posts

There's always that one guy who's yelling "everyone up the middle!" on this map, and I always wish I could sink him myself.

• Funny 1

[PHASE]
Members
4,709 posts
16,143 battles
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:32 PM, Soshi_Sone said:

It works all the time, 10% of the time.

jjj.thumb.jpg.47ef72f296d8e2b859ea80790029c110.jpg

It is arguably the most fun spot on any map in the game.

WG needs to take advantage this and incorporate it into more games or different game modes.

Of all my 15,000 games, the hardest all 24 players laughed together was when the enemy team sent all 12 down the channel, when the CV rolled in I had tears in my eyes. Yes they got slaughtered, but damn everyone was having a blast.

[BOTES]
Members
213 posts
10,432 battles

Nothing more fun than watching this with no way to do anything about it. 

shot-17.10.04_12.02.38-0529.jpg