Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sabene

What is it like?

6 comments in this topic

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
600 posts
27,546 battles

Ever wonder what it is like to be a rental ship in Ranked Battles?

Well, let me share some tidbits.

First, Sabene is my main account.  I ranked out on her days ago.  I have ranked out in Ranked Battles multiple times -- enough to earn the Flint, Black, et al.  I love Ranked Battles and I understand the play style needed to win.  I share this as I want no misunderstanding as to my ability to participate in Ranked.

So, I have an alt account.  I started the alt just so I could continue playing Ranked after ranking out on Sabene.  I think Season 5 was the first season I participated with my alt.  And, yes, I HAVE ranked out on the alt as well.

But the alt has only the Gearing at tier 10.  So to get battles in I have been using a rental Shima as well.

The difference in playing the rental is just....mind blowing.

It starts as soon as the game starts.

"Okay, rental, go off and die.  Get it out of the way early."

"Oh, we have a rental shima.  We lose."

To ALL:  "GG, reds.  Our rental Shima will carry it for you"

"Why the flack are you here?  Just because WG offers rentals doesn't mean you should be playing one.  You do not have the skills."

The assumption by my teams has been, in EVERY case, that because the ship is a rental then I have no idea how to play it.  Bad assumption, yes, but the verbal abuse is eye opening.  Yes, it is usually only one or two people on my team but they are vocal and they are obnoxious.  They also tend to play their own ships poorly (yolo anyone?) so they can get out of what they believe will be an obvious loss and go play another ranked game in another ship.

My win rate in the rental Shima is 60%+ after 50+ games.  Good enough to get me to Rank 5.  Still pushing.

But every game is a new game.  Every game is usually a fresh set of players.  So every game starts with the same bad attitude against rental ships.  It is not the ship itself because the difference in detection between a standard and rental shima is really not much ( 0.3 k ) and the play style does not change.  But the player attitude toward the rental is always present.

WG, I know you were trying to make Ranked available to more people by offering the rentals.  I know by offering them you think you are encouraging folks to grind up to the standard ships.

But did you know you were subjecting players to constant verbal abuse?  Now, I am an old and established player...but if I were fresh to the game and I encountered what I have encountered...I would be sorely tempted to drop WoWs entirely.  A game is to be fun and challenging, not abusive.  WG you have no input or control over the abuse, per se, but given the player base attitudes you ARE fostering such by providing rental ships in Ranked, a format where team cohesion is absent at the game start and gets murdered by peoples' predisposition against rentals.

I have a request.  Actually, two.

WG:  Please re-examine the use of rentals.  Know that the idea might be well placed but in practice there is a lot of abuse and potential loss of business for you.

Players:   Be nice.  Just be nice.  If you see a rental then let the guy play it out without stressing him out with verbal attacks.  You aren't helping anything by attacking the poor guy.  In fact, you are hurting your chances of winning the game.

If you see a rental Shima at Rank 5 or better....it might be me.  Come get me.

Sabene

Commander of -VT-

Edited by Sabene
  • Cool 7
  • Angry 1

[WDS]
Members
1,780 posts
8,959 battles
5 minutes ago, Sabene said:

Ever wonder what it is like to be a rental ship in Ranked Battles?

Well, let me share some tidbits.

First, Sabene is my main account.  I ranked out on her days ago.  I have ranked out in Ranked Battles multiple times -- enough to earn the Flint, Black, et al.  I love Ranked Battles and I understand the play style needed to win.  I share this as I want no misunderstanding as to my ability to participate in Ranked.

So, I have an alt account.  I started the alt just so I could continue playing Ranked after ranking out on Sabene.  I think Season 5 was the first season I participated with my alt.  And, yes, I HAVE ranked out on the alt as well.

But the alt has only the Gearing at tier 10.  So to get battles in I have been using a rental Shima as well.

The difference in playing the rental is just....mind blowing.

It starts as soon as the game starts.

"Okay, rental, go off and die.  Get it out of the way early."

"Oh, we have a rental shima.  We lose."

To ALL:  "GG, reds.  Our rental Shima will carry it for you"

"wth are you here?  Just because WG offers rentals doesn't mean you should be playing one.  You do not have the skills."

The assumption by my teams has been, in EVERY case, that because the ship is a rental then I have no idea how to play it.  Bad assumption, yes, but the verbal abuse is eye opening.  Yes, it is usually only one or two people on my team but they are vocal and they are obnoxious.  They also tend to play their own ships poorly (yolo anyone?) so they can get out of what they believe will be an obvious loss and go play another ranked game in another ship.

My win rate in the rental Shima is 60%+ after 50+ games.  Good enough to get me to Rank 5.  Still pushing.

But every game is a new game.  Every game is usually a fresh set of players.  So every game starts with the same bad attitude against rental ships.  It is not the ship itself because the difference in detection between a standard and rental shima is really not much ( 0.3 k ) and the play style does not change.  But the player attitude toward the rental is always present.

WG, I know you were trying to make Ranked available to more people by offering the rentals.  I know by offering them you think you are encouraging folks to grind up to the standard ships.

But did you know you were subjecting players to constant verbal abuse?  Now, I am an old and established player...but if I were fresh to the game and I encountered what I have encountered...I would be sorely tempted to drop WoWs entirely.  A game is to be fun and challenging, not abusive.  WG you have not input or control over the abuse, per se, but given the player base attitudes you ARE fostering such by providing rental ships in Ranked, a format where team cohesion is absent at the game start and gets murdered by peoples' predisposition against rentals.

I have a request.  Actually, two.

WG:  Please re-examine the use of rentals.  Know that the idea might be well placed but in practice there is a lot of abuse and potential loss of business for you.

Players:   Be nice.  Just be nice.  If you see a rental then let the guy play it out without stressing him out with verbal attacks.  You aren't helping anything by attacking the poor guy.  In fact, you are hurting your chances of winning the game.

If you see a rental Shima at Rank 5 or better....it might be me.  Come get me.

Sabene

Commander of -VT-

Why don't they just let the rental player put his own cameo on the ship if there's so little difference . Wouldn't that stop people from knowing he's a rental ?

[CK5]
Members
1,081 posts
9,811 battles

The easiest solution is to stop identifying rentals.  WG says it wants to encourage more players to participate but then puts a big "I'm a Rental" sign on those that take them up on it.  Get rid of the brackets and allow personal camo.  Easier to accomplish than getting people to behave better.    

• Cool 5

[ALL41]
Members
342 posts
8,405 battles
1 hour ago, PrairiePlayer said:

The easiest solution is to stop identifying rentals.  WG says it wants to encourage more players to participate but then puts a big "I'm a Rental" sign on those that take them up on it.  Get rid of the brackets and allow personal camo.  Easier to accomplish than getting people to behave better.    

^^^^   This 100%.  

The player base should have no clue as to who's driving a rental, and who's using their own ship.    I know I've had my own Ranked games where rental ships have performed much better than I did.    

• Cool 2

[GOB]
Members
659 posts

Thank you so much for this VERY important and indisputable irrefutable example of the treatment people get in chat here.

I got a warning email from WG this morning for posting a thread about the toxic stuff that goes on here all the time.  

Solutions are SIMPLE.. SO simple I have come to the conclusion that is they WANT the discord, they INVITE the bottom feeders to abuse their player base.  They WANT to attract the people that everyone else bans from their forums and game chat.

With the solutions to this SO obviously avoided how else can I see it?

I posted a 100% POSITIVE post yesterday also about the GREAT and HELPFUL people you find here and the forum trolls attacked that one as well ( I did't get a thank you email from WG for the great comments on that one though ) .

They are here. they are enabled and apparently they are welcome.

Col Out

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,752 posts
18,180 battles
1 hour ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Yep, I have no idea why they feel the need to identify rentals that way.

Sign in to follow this