You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Hermetica

Are there known cheats/hacks/exploits?

77 comments in this topic

[PPFV]
[PPFV]
Members
149 posts

I want to start off by stressing that this is a genuine question, not me blaming cheaters for someone simply outplaying me or what have you.

With that said, I encountered a situation today that made me wonder. The situation: I was playing a super stealthy concealment 100 DD in a low tier match today when I took a torpedo salvo out of absolutely nowhere. I am 100% certain I was not spotted. I was also not detected using the captain skill, or at least the "Located" indicator never showed up. There were no planes overhead, I was in an empty part of the map, and the last time I had been detected was a good minute earlier in a different part of the map while traveling in a different direction, so it's unlikely someone somehow intuited where I would be in my path a minute later. Again, empty map, so it's not like I just ran into a torp salvo intended for someone else. So... either someone just fired off a salvo randomly and I just happened to run into it out of truly terrible luck, or someone knew I was there when they shouldn't have.

Are there known hacks or exploits that could have been the cause of that? Or was that just some truly phenomenally bad luck on my part? I ask because, if hacks like that are a known entity, I'll know to report it in the future. But if not, I'll let it be. Thanks!

• Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,335 posts
11,846 battles

To paraphrase Arthur C Clarke, any sufficiently skilled player is indistinguishable from hacking.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[MPYRE]
Beta Testers
1,727 posts
8,799 battles

Due to the way the game runs, it's impossible for there to be "hacks" in the traditional sense of the word.  All the exploits are limited to taking information that is already given to the player, and making it REALLY OBVIOUS or much faster to process.  Since all calculations are done by the server, and no information that you're not supposed to have is sent to your client, visibility hacks/accuracy hacks/HP hacks and the like are all impossible.

For the situation you described you just got phenomenally unlucky.

[PPFV]
[PPFV]
Members
149 posts
1 minute ago, nightrider760 said:

someone probably  fired their  torps as an area denial salvo.

In the middle of a completely empty sector of the map? I guess I would buy that more easily if we were anywhere near anything else, but there was nothing strategic about the location.

[PPFV]
[PPFV]
Members
149 posts
6 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

To paraphrase Arthur C Clarke, any sufficiently skilled player is indistinguishable from hacking.

Again, if it was a matter of skill, I'm fine with that. I'm a-okay with being outplayed. But, based on what I described, I guess I don't get how I was outplayed, unless there's information in-game that helps with locating others that I'm not aware of. Which is decidedly possible, granted.

[WOLF9]
Members
10,207 posts
4,366 battles
3 minutes ago, Hermetica said:

there was nothing strategic about the location.

Then why were you there?

• Funny 8

[PPFV]
[PPFV]
Members
149 posts
6 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

Due to the way the game runs, it's impossible for there to be "hacks" in the traditional sense of the word.  All the exploits are limited to taking information that is already given to the player, and making it REALLY OBVIOUS or much faster to process.  Since all calculations are done by the server, and no information that you're not supposed to have is sent to your client, visibility hacks/accuracy hacks/HP hacks and the like are all impossible.

For the situation you described you just got phenomenally unlucky.

This is good information to have. I kind of figured, but hacks are still plentiful on other mostly server-side online games, so I figured I'd ask.

As for the luck... yeah. Honestly, it's been one of those days, so it's quite possible. The match prior I died in a BB because I got stuck on an invisible rock. :-/

[PPFV]
[PPFV]
Members
149 posts
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

Then why were you there?

I was traveling through it, and specifically going through unpopulated parts of the map to avoid detection so I could reposition and re-enter the fight. I was pretty badly damaged at the time, so I was being extra cautious and taking the long way around.

[KRAK]
Members
2,797 posts
17,460 battles
1 minute ago, Hermetica said:

In the middle of a completely empty sector of the map? I guess I would buy that more easily if we were anywhere near anything else, but there was nothing strategic about the location.

I would bet that that there are hacks that allow one to see every ship on map regardless of detection ranges. Not saying this is what happened to you but this is an online game and there are always hacks/cheats in every online game especially PVP games. I can remember a few years back The match had barely started, I was never spotted, not in smoke and up against an island with no other teammates anywhere near me and 2 DDs unloaded 20 torps at me and killed me.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 5

[HRVAT]
[HRVAT]
Members
949 posts
7,741 battles

Upload the replay here or to Wowsreplays

And yes their are cheats for this game sadly

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
2,980 posts
8,958 battles

Or was that just some truly phenomenally bad luck on my part?

Most likely this^^^^^^

There are aiming cheats & WG has banned them. But I haven't heard of a cloaking cheat. However some players can exploit concealment to the max.

[PPFV]
[PPFV]
Members
149 posts
13 minutes ago, LadyAnesjka said:

Upload the replay here or to Wowsreplays

And yes their are cheats for this game sadly

If it happens again I will, though I didn't really think about how off it felt until after I was back in port. To this game's credit, though, that's the first time I've seen them (if indeed that's what it was), and although I don't play constantly, I've been playing since CBT, so that's a fair amount of time to go without encountering something that felt fishy.

8 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Most likely this^^^^^^

There are aiming cheats & WG has banned them. But I haven't heard of a cloaking cheat. However some players can exploit concealment to the max.

Yeah, I mean, I can buy me not seeing them - they were also a stealth DD. I just don't see how they hit me without detecting me or having any real reason to expect me to be there. Normally I'd chalk it up to "oh, I was briefly detected and just didn't notice" but I was already in paranoid hyper-vigilance mode because I was so close to death, so I was watching very, very closely for a detection or located notice.

Edited by Hermetica

[REEF]
Beta Testers
858 posts
9,522 battles

When things like that happen to me I chalk it up to coming up against a more skilled opponent that bested me.  I mean you can get mad and stew over it, or move on.  It's a game, just move on unless you can prove something isn't right.

[MPYRE]
Beta Testers
1,727 posts
8,799 battles
18 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

I would bet that that there are hacks that allow one to see every ship on map regardless of detection ranges. Not saying this is what happened to you but this is an online game and there are always hacks/cheats in every online game especially PVP games. 

There are hacks, but hacks were never "hacks" per se.  They were just client-side mods that abused the system.

Basically, in old school shooters wallhacks and the like existed because the server needed the player's computer help to reduce the workload.  For example, when the player shoots, the player's computer would tell the server where the player shot and where the bullets went.   The server would then use that info to tell the other players what happened.  This was really easy to abuse, because the player would simply change the rules in THEIR game files (to make players always visible or guns to have no dispersion), and the game server would trust the player's computer.  This is also why the old anti-cheating measures were really invasive.  They basically had to scan and make sure you didn't change files that were on your computer.

Nowadays, everything is done server side.  The only thing your computer knows is what the server tells it, and the server doesn't receive any gamestate information from your computer.  The server never tells you where the enemy ships are until the server calculates that a ship entered your detection range.  Only then does it tell your computer where the ship is.  Even if you changed your game files to make all ships have 100km detection ranges, it means nothing because the server never uses the information on your computer for reference.  Likewise for accuracy, HP, and speed cheats.  The only info the server receives from you is "player pressed this button".  The server then takes that info and tells YOUR computer where your ship is on the map.  

In order to do a visibility hack like you described, you would have to gain access a WG server, steal all the code that WG uses to run the game, design a piece of code that gives you and only you an advantage, start a game, somehow figure out WHICH server your game is being ran on, gain access to that specific server somehow and update the game while everything is running.  All before the countdown ends. If you had the ability to do that, you'ld probably be taking down governments, not game servers :Smile-_tongue:

[HDR]
Beta Testers
274 posts
5,249 battles
37 minutes ago, Hermetica said:

If it happens again I will, though I didn't really think about how off it felt until after I was back in port. To this game's credit, though, that's the first time I've seen them (if indeed that's what it was), and although I don't play constantly, I've been playing since CBT, so that's a fair amount of time to go without encountering something that felt fishy.

Yeah, I mean, I can buy me not seeing them - they were also a stealth DD. I just don't see how they hit me without detecting me or having any real reason to expect me to be there. Normally I'd chalk it up to "oh, I was briefly detected and just didn't notice" but I was already in paranoid hyper-vigilance mode because I was so close to death, so I was watching very, very closely for a detection or located notice.

With torps anything can happen man.  when I got the shimikaze I fired off a 20km set of torps just for the fun of it. About 3-4 minutes later I totally forgot about them and what do you know ...2 hits lol. 

[PPFV]
[PPFV]
Members
149 posts
35 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

In order to do a visibility hack like you described, you would have to gain access a WG server, steal all the code that WG uses to run the game, design a piece of code that gives you and only you an advantage, start a game, somehow figure out WHICH server your game is being ran on, gain access to that specific server somehow and update the game while everything is running.  All before the countdown ends. If you had the ability to do that, you'ld probably be taking down governments, not game servers :Smile-_tongue:

I mean... hacks and cheats are commonplace in many large-scale multiplayer games, included serverside-heavy MMOs. I'm not sure WoWS is one of them - hence the question - but people certainly can and do come up with wallhacks and the like. It's not a matter of breaking into WG servers or anything, it's a matter of intercepting and modifying data client side. Hypothetically speaking, in this case, if for example the client stored any data about where other ships are to lessen server load, that could be accessed and exploited by third-party software. Some games are more prone to it than others, certainly, but I've yet to encounter an online game that's fully immune to hacks and exploits.

Edited by Hermetica

[F3S]
[F3S]
Members
1,781 posts
3,577 battles
1 hour ago, Hermetica said:

I want to start off by stressing that this is a genuine question, not me blaming cheaters for someone simply outplaying me or what have you.

Perhaps your actions weren't as unpredictable as you believed them to be.  If there's an "open" part of the map, and a ship was last seen in the vicinity, it's only natural to assume that the enemy is exploiting an open flank.  If you play CV, you tend to count ships, especially sneaky ones and it's always safe to assume that it can be found sneaking about in a specific spot.  Rarely am I surprised at where a ship is if I go hunting it.

Likewise in a DD (mostly I use RL on them) I will fire torps into the unknown if a ship hasn't been seen recently.  Seeing ship's remaining HP helps to know if it's pulling an "ouchy boo boo" and hiding in the back, or if it's up to some mischief.   With RL, I'll just stop and see if an un-spotted target is moving and blind fire in front of it.  There's only so many places one can actually go, and by having ships at various places, you can discern where it isn't.  Think of the local game on your machine as a VM from the server. 

Your local client already tells you everything it knows -- you can't modify it to give you info that it doesn't have.  Think of it as a remote desktop to the server.  There can be things like aim-bots, enemy consumable usage timers since you can see when radar bloom occurs, and other player assistant features, but it can't tell a player the location of another on the enemy team since it doesn't know it.

Another thing to consider is that there's a possibility that you could have been outed by a teammate either via coms or a streamer on your team.  If I recognize a streamer on the enemy team, I'll pull up their stream for intelligence.

[WORX]
Members
5,030 posts
15,593 battles

With that said, I encountered a situation today that made me wonder. The situation: I was playing a super stealthy concealment 100 DD in a low tier match today when I took a torpedo salvo out of absolutely nowhere. I am 100% certain I was not spotted. I was also not detected using the captain skill, or at least the "Located" indicator never showed up. There were no planes overhead, I was in an empty part of the map, and the last time I had been detected was a good minute earlier in a different part of the map while traveling in a different direction, so it's unlikely someone somehow intuited where I would be in my path a minute later. Again, empty map, so it's not like I just ran into a torp salvo intended for someone else. So... either someone just fired off a salvo randomly and I just happened to run into it out of truly terrible luck, or someone knew I was there when they shouldn't have.

Are there known hacks or exploits that could have been the cause of that? Or was that just some truly phenomenally bad luck on my part? I ask because, if hacks like that are a known entity, I'll know to report it in the future. But if not, I'll let it be. Thanks!

just FYI, Yes client side aim assist do exist... Yes with a population in the thousands its hard to ban those who are using hem.. Yes there is a very good probability (at least in guns), that unhumenlike "good" shoot.. Was  made possible by aim assist.

The main problem overall, WOWS puts detection of the above mentioned cheat on the community.  Some are very good at spotting cheaters. Others (the majority, even I at one point) are in denial about it.

Now, concerning your situation... No, client side aim assist dont affect torps. It only affect main battery. After dealing a lot with low tier maps. One can take an educated guess. 

I know when taking the ISHO, I dump torps in a high traffic area... Must of the time I just hunt BBs

• Funny 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,556 posts
10,704 battles

As a dd player myself I can tell you I will fire off anticipation torps for zone denial. The idea is to a likely area a dd may try to push for them to get into a prime torp location. This doesn't always work. maybe 10% of the time. However, even if I don't hit something it tends to scare away the super stealthy dds as these tend to be the ones who avoid gunfights with other dds. So while it may have seemed a place of no value if a dd player as seen it as an area of transition to get to another location to set up for something then it is not beyond the realm of possibility that someone would try to throw torps in it.

[DJL]
[DJL]
Members
125 posts
4,537 battles

We would all be very foolish to think their are no cheats at all in this or any game. Could be random torps shot in Hope's of a lucky hit send a ticket. Could have been a good player making a guess where you would be sent torps that way. Players do search for ships so hard to say what happened to you. Good luck.

[PVE]
Members
3,362 posts
21,651 battles

and the last time I had been detected was a good minute earlier in a different part of the map while traveling in a different direction

But what made you change direction during that minute? Was there a red that you were helping to spot/kill that had died?

If so the DD that got you might have figured you were done in that area & torped in the direction that would put you back in the battle.